Marvez: Dan Quinn will be next Jets head coach

Jetfan13

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, I just love that Jim Leonhard is the one example you have of Rex's great team building ability.

lol.. no.. the point is he was a key element on defensive driven team as was Blart Scott.. Ape implied he was using 100% Mangini people those first 2 years

I was going to post I remember a poster like you that was on JI and then I realized that was you who left during the Exodus..LOL 

Haha... I actually didn't come here in the Klacko exodus, I came later. SoFlaJets recruited me, and I joined around then, but I was pretty entrenched doing all that design work for them over there. I came here after Ham banned me, it was just me. I was an exodus of one. Marchin' to the beat of my own drummer... 

Which exodus?  I think there were three before we had to take the ape. 

LOL, you're awesome.

lol.. no.. the point is he was a key element on defensive driven team as was Blart Scott.. Ape implied he was using 100% Mangini people those first 2 years

I didn't even come close to implying that. Which is why I wrote "Tanny/Mangini/Rex". Only you and Fernando Valenzuela would interpret that to mean 100% Mangini.

If Quinn spurs the Jets:

He's Just Not That Quinn To You

If he has kids...on their birthday they can play

Quinn the tail on the Donkey...

When he leaves the west coast, he's really going to miss having Quinn-N-Out Burgers.

I heard his favorite actress is 

Quinn-eth Paltrow

Awful.

Just Quinn Fudge.

Anyone have a sense as to the level of swagger Quinn would bring to the organization?

The mighty Quinn is an Eskimo.  Changes despair into joy and chaos into rest, and attention from the animals.  Level of swagger could be off the charts at Met Life.

NY Jets are top choice for Dan Quinn; Mike Maccagnan to dine with Woody Johnson and Co.: sources 

Quinn, who interviewed with Jets brass last week in Seattle, wants Kyle Shanahan, who parted ways with the Browns on Thursday, to be his offensive coordinator in New York, sources said.

quinnweb10s-web.jpg

According to friends, Dan Quinn has considered the Jets' head coaching job as his top choice.

Woody Johnson's new vision for the Jets is coming into focus less than two weeks after the owner hit the reset button on his franchise. Johnson, team president Neil Glat and consultants Charley Casserly and Ron Wolf have targeted Texans director of college scouting Mike Maccagnan to be the next general manager, according to sources, in the first step of an organizational restructuring plan designed to get the Jets back on the right path. Johnson and the Jets brain trust brought Maccagnan back for a second interview on Friday. The Daily News has learned that Maccagnan and Jets brass will have dinner Friday night before an official decision is made. Casserly & Co. could conceivably bring in an experienced contract negotiator/front office executive to complement the new GM's skill set. If Maccagnan gets the job, he'll have plenty on his to-do list starting with identifying his new head coach. Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn, the most coveted head coaching candidate on the market who has interviewed with five teams, has told friends that the Jets are his top choice, according to sources. The Jets have strong interest in bringing Quinn aboard. Quinn, who interviewed with Jets brass last week in Seattle, wants Kyle Shanahan, who parted ways with the Browns on Thursday, to be his offensive coordinator in New York, sources said. Quinn has told friends that he would like former Buccaneers GM Mark Dominik, who has been an ESPN analyst for the past year, to join the operation. The Jets have reached out to Dominik for a possible role, but have not yet scheduled an interview, according to sources. Dominik has received endorsements from high-level executives across the league in the past week, according to sources. His cap and contract management was one of his strengths as Bucs GM from 2009-2013. The Jets preference has been to first hire a general manager, who would help fill in the blanks. Maccagnan would play a central role in re-shaping the front office if the Jets select him. If the Seahawks beat the Panthers in the divisional playoffs on Saturday, the earliest teams could talk to Quinn again would be after the NFC Championship Game on Jan. 18. If Seattle wins the conference title, the earliest meeting would occur during the Super Bowl bye week. Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles is in play after interviewing with the Jets earlier this week. The Jets requested permission to interview Ravens offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak, who was hired by Casserly in Houston, but the play caller has put off any meetings with teams until Baltimore is eliminated from the playoffs. The Ravens face the Patriots in Foxborough on Saturday. The Jets could conceivably bring him in for an interview next week if Baltimore loses. It is less likely that former Bills coach Doug Marrone, who interviewed last weekend, will be the next head coach, according to a source. Maccagnan was the first GM candidate to receive a second interview. Many people in league circles were hardly surprised given Maccagnan's history with Casserly, who hired him as a scout in Washington 20 years ago before bringing him to Houston. Maccagnan, who has been the Texans' college scouting director since 2012, has a reputation of being a quiet worker. It will be a shock to the system to be thrust into his new role in a large media market. Some front office executives compared Maccagnan's understated demeanor to former Jets GM John Idzik even though they come from vastly different football backgrounds. Maccagnan's draft record has been uneven. The Jets have placed a priority on finding a reputable talent evaluator, but there are fair questions about whether Maccagnan has the necessary leadership traits or communication and recruiting acumen to attract top-notch free agents. He has never negotiated contracts, so he'll need a seasoned executive to handle that load and work with him to procure better talent than what Idzik left behind.

Dan Quinn favorite to land Jets coaching job: sources

The Jets are getting closer to hiring a new general manager, but the search for a head coach could last a while. Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn has emerged as the favorite to land the head coaching job, according to league sources. But the Jets must wait until after the Seahawks season ends before offering him the job. That could be Feb. 2 if the Seahawks make a return trip to the Super Bowl. The Seahawks face the Panthers on Saturday in the divisional round. The Jets interviewed Texans scouting director Mike Maccagnan for a second time on Friday for their general manager opening, according to sources. He is the only GM candidate to have been asked for a second interview and is viewed as the favorite to land the job, perhaps as soon as this weekend. Owner Woody Johnson had dinner with Maccagnan on Friday night, a sign there is serious interest. Many people viewed former Bills coach Doug Marrone as the favorite to be Rex Ryan’s replacement, particularly if Maccagnan became the GM. The two have known each other for 25 years. But a source said Marrone is not one of the top candidates for the head coaching job. Even if Maccagnan is named GM, it seems unlikely at this point that Marrone will become the coach. A source said Quinn, Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles and Seahawks assistant head coach/offensive line Tom Cable are the top candidates. A league source said those three had the best interviews with the Jets out of the six candidates who have interviewed so far. Marrone was seen as the front-runner for the job after opting out of his contract with the Bills on Dec. 31. The Jets acted quickly to line up an interview and brought him in three days later. The consultants leading the search with Johnson – Charley Casserly and Ron Wolf – were both very high on Marrone, but Johnson was not equally enthused about Marrone. Two sources said that Marrone did not bomb the interview as has been reported, but Johnson was committed to letting the process play out and did not want to hire anyone quickly. As he interviewed candidates, Marrone was not at the top of his list. All searches are fluid processes, so it is possible Johnson could change his mind on Marrone, but that does not sound likely. Johnson does want to speak to Quinn again. The team interviewed him on Jan. 1 in Seattle, but cannot talk to him again until the Seahawks lose or the bye week before the Super Bowl if Seattle wins the NFC championship. If the latter is the case, the Seahawks also would have to grant permission for the Jets to talk to him. Quinn, 44, has been the Seahawks defensive coordinator for two seasons. A Morristown, N.J. native, Quinn was the defensive coordinator at the University of Florida in 2011-12. He has experience with the Jets, having served as the team’s defensive line coach under Eric Mangini in 2007-08. The Jets may have competition for Quinn. Besides the Jets, Quinn also has interviewed with the 49ers, Falcons, Bills and Bears. The main question with Quinn seems to be the timeline, not his credentials. Will teams be willing to wait until after the Super Bowl to hire their head coach and then assemble a coaching staff if the Seahawks make it that far? Fellow Seahawks assistant Cable also impressed the Jets in his interview on Jan. 2. Cable, 50, has head coaching experience, having coached the Raiders from 2008-10, going 17-27 there. He also spent three years as the head coach at the University of Idaho, where he went 11-35. Cable has been accused of domestic violence by multiple women and also allegedly broke the jaw of one of his assistants in Oakland. Bowles, 51, interviewed with the Jets on Wednesday after helping the Cardinals make the playoffs where they lost in the first round last weekend to the Panthers. Bowles, from Elizabeth, N.J., is another hot coaching candidate after leading a defense that was 5th in scoring. He interviewed with the Bears on Thursday and reportedly will talk to the Falcons on Saturday.

Archived