Can Geno Smith Succeed???

neckdemon

People can talk them selves into Geno not sucking but I have watched him.

Run backwards when being rushed, that's panic.

Come off the field and not look at any pictures or talk to anyone to try and figure out what the defense is doing.

The buffalo game which was the worst performance there has ever been for a QB. 2 for 8 with three pics In One quarter.

Defend that

there have actually been a few games just as bad.....and maybe even slightly worse

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_quarterbacks_who_have_posted_a_passer_rating_of_zero

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I realize that Geno hasn't been very good at all. I also realize that, as bad as he was, he did improve last year, improve being relative of course. However, I just don't understand a lot of the blatant Geno hate that goes on here. Yeah the kid hasn't been good but damn, did you see that coaching staff he had? Or the "weapons" he had? I'm not saying hand Geno the keys and never take him out, like what happened with Sanchez. I do think that he deserves a shot to start though. I'm not going to sit here and insult his intelligence because I know absolutely nothing about it. For all I know, he could be either completely stupid or borderline genius. I don't think any of us really know the answer, and yes I am well aware of the missed meeting excuse. 

I does have a point, Brees was the suck in 02-03, enough that the chargers went ahead and drafted Rivers, at which point the light came on and he lit it up.

So using your rationale, because one guy did it, we must stay married to geno smith because it is POSSIBLE. Lol. Better odds cashing out 401k and going to vegas and put it all on one roulette spin than betting on geno beating all probabilities and odds and following like THE ONE guy to do what brees has done. Since we are talking about ridiculous longshots, for what it is worth, it is more likely that ryan fitzpatrick is rich gannon than geno smith is drew brees by a factor of a zillion

I get it jets fans want to hope but geno sucks, and will forever suck. Hoping he follows THE pathway of the one guy who started off as he did and became great is a desperate, wild and ridiculous gamble with no hint or basis in evidence and that no team or GM would ever take, hence jets willdraft a QB and they already got aforementioned fitzpatrick. Lets face it, he is too damn dumb to get "get it." Thats big difference between him and brees, not to mention thousands of others. But professionals dont close their eyes, cross their fingers and say "well this one other guy looked like a bust once so it is POSSIBLE." For every brees there are hundreds of Akili Smiths, a category with whom Geno will belong very shortly.

Geno Smith to have a career doesn't have to be ,much better at many things, he has to eliminate the mind numbing awful tunrovers.

He has lowest football IQ in the NFL. He will never be able to read defenses and go through progressions. You cant fix it.

He's got a first class receiving corps this year which is miles above what he had coming into the league.  Don't forget Decker was hurt most of last year.  IF he beats out Fitzpatrick it's quite possible his overall play will go sharply upward.

Offense is a rhythm.  A good play by a receiver here and there changes the complexion of the game and the momentum.  Geno hasn't had a lot of good plays by the receivers in his first two years to generate momentum and help him get into a good groove.

I realize that Geno hasn't been very good at all. I also realize that, as bad as he was, he did improve last year, improve being relative of course. However, I just don't understand a lot of the blatant Geno hate that goes on here. Yeah the kid hasn't been good but damn, did you see that coaching staff he had? Or the "weapons" he had? I'm not saying hand Geno the keys and never take him out, like what happened with Sanchez. I do think that he deserves a shot to start though. I'm not going to sit here and insult his intelligence because I know absolutely nothing about it. For all I know, he could be either completely stupid or borderline genius. I don't think any of us really know the answer, and yes I am well aware of the missed meeting excuse. 

Agree 100%. The hatred of Geno is completely irrational. I actually think that hatred of Geno and love of Rex are directly proportional, the more you love the Blowhard doofus we kicked to the curb, the more you hate the QB that dumbass Rex screwed over.

He has lowest football IQ in the NFL. He will never be able to read defenses and go through progressions. You cant fix it.

And because you keep saying it's true, huh?    I know you are invested in that opinion so it will be very hard for you to admit it if you are wrong; I learned a long time ago to be very careful with saying "never".  More often than not it comes back to bite you in the ass. 

So using your rationale, because one guy did it, we must stay married to geno smith because it is POSSIBLE. Lol. Better odds cashing out 401k and going to vegas and put it all on one roulette spin than betting on geno beating all probabilities and odds and following like THE ONE guy to do what brees has done. Since we are talking about ridiculous longshots, for what it is worth, it is more likely that ryan fitzpatrick is rich gannon than geno smith is drew brees by a factor of a zillion

I get it jets fans want to hope but geno sucks, and will forever suck. Hoping he follows THE pathway of the one guy who started off as he did and became great is a desperate, wild and ridiculous gamble with no hint or basis in evidence and that no team or GM would ever take, hence jets willdraft a QB and they already got aforementioned fitzpatrick. Lets face it, he is too damn dumb to get "get it." Thats big difference between him and brees, not to mention thousands of others. But professionals dont close their eyes, cross their fingers and say "well this one other guy looked like a bust once so it is POSSIBLE." For every brees there are hundreds of Akili Smiths, a category with whom Geno will belong very shortly.

Do you have a personal issue with Smith?  Why the constant references to his intelligence?  What are you a Mensa Scholar?    You keep making these idiotic statements as if they are fact, but they are just your OPINION, nothing more.  You might what to preference your statements that way; people might take you more seriously.  

Agree 100%. The hatred of Geno is completely irrational. I actually think that hatred of Geno and love of Rex are directly proportional, the more you love the Blowhard doofus we kicked to the curb, the more you hate the QB that dumbass Rex screwed over.

Can you explain how Rex "screwing over" Smith caused Smith's 50 or so turnovers in his first two years?

Did Rex coat his throwing hand in grease when no one was looking?

I'm please Rex is gone, and I'll be pleased when Geno Smith is gone.

Incompetence, in any form, shouldn't be tolerated, much less fawned over and supported.

Endless hope that a poor player will somehow "come around" is, generally, pure distilled fantasy.

For every Drew Brees, there are 100 Akili Smiths or Mark Sanchez's.  Or Geno Smiths, if you prefer.

Can you explain how Rex "screwing over" Smith caused Smith's 50 or so turnovers in his first two years?

Incompetence, in any form, shouldn't be tolerated, much less fawned over and supported.

Endless hope that a poor player will somehow "come around" is, generally, pure distilled fantasy.

For every Drew Brees, there are 100 Akili Smiths or Mark Sanchez's.  Or Geno Smiths, if you prefer.

Rookies and second year players have turnovers. Rex's insanely idiotic insistence on ground and pound and wildcat puts ANY QB in terrible situations that cause MORE turnovers. It has been widely reported that Geno was told to throw to the first read, even when not open.

Geno has had some of the worst weapons on offense of any QB in the NFL.Decker  was hurt almost the entire season and Geno was again throwing to the Salas, etc,,,of the world

Geno has flashed the last four games of his first two seasons. People like to say it is because we were "playing teams with nothing to play for" when the real reason is Rex gave up and let the offense play.

Geno may never be an elite QB, but he is WAY better than what he has shown the first two years crippled by that idiotic buffoon up in Buffalo now, who also ruined Sanchez.

Haven't you wondered why every QB on Rex trotted out the same pathetic crap? Rex

We need to see what we have with Geno under real coaching. We have a competent backup in Fitz and need to draft a prospect 100% in the draft.

But the blind hatred Geno gets is ridiculous.

Well said.  Enough with Geno already.  THE GUY SUCKS.  DONE.

Rookies and second year players have turnovers. Rex's insanely idiotic insistence on ground and pound and wildcat puts ANY QB in terrible situations that cause MORE turnovers. It has been widely reported that Geno was told to throw to the first read, even when not open.

Geno has had some of the worst weapons on offense of any QB in the NFL.Decker  was hurt almost the entire season and Geno was again throwing to the Salas, etc,,,of the world

Geno has flashed the last four games of his first two seasons. People like to say it is because we were "playing teams with nothing to play for" when the real reason is Rex gave up and let the offense play.

Geno may never be an elite QB, but he is WAY better than what he has shown the first two years crippled by that idiotic buffoon up in Buffalo now, who also ruined Sanchez.

Haven't you wondered why every QB on Rex trotted out the same pathetic crap? Rex

We need to see what we have with Geno under real coaching. We have a competent backup in Fitz and need to draft a prospect 100% in the draft.

As long as our season is over, or nothing is on the line, Geno is the guy.  Otherwise?  He's warm dog doddie.

The Dolphin game was the first game where i felt Geno was freewheeling and comfortable.  What that means I don't know.  My impression of Geno is that his confidence level is low and what we see from him is bravado.  If the confidence were real, I would be more optimistic, even with the numbers he has had.

To me it looked like Miami had called it in, therefore way inflating Geno's numbers. When teams were actually trying to win, he looked pretty bad at the worst possible times. Take the NE game when he took a late sack which cost the Jets a shot at a game winning FG. That kind of stuff is unacceptable for a second year QB who should have seen the max blitz coming and changed the blocking or the play altogether. Not doing it showed he doesn't have the football smarts and the quick read / react instinctiveness that great ones have. Geno is barely an NFL QB. Surely not a starter, could be a career backup.

Some of your arguments have merit, but I challenge you on the outcome of the NE game where he took the late sack taking the Jets out of FG range? Was that Rex? Mornhinweg? or simply that Geno didn't 'read' the max blitz that we ALL saw coming. I think most Jets fans realize the answer to that is because Geno was not able to read the blitz and therefore made no change of the play or blocking scheme. That to me is just too dumb to be an regular NFL starter. I agree that Rex did neither Geno or Sanchez any favors, but they never showed elite ability either. Look at the Pats stable of WR's and you don't see downfield blazers. There are ALL a bunch of possession receivers who stretch the field horizontally and have YAC ability. Geno has not shown acceptable accuracy either. His screen passes are scary indeed. No, for the most part I think that Geno is simply not a good QB.

Geno's lack of weapons did not cause him to miss, regularly, open receivers or make deeply foolish passes.  Nor did it cause his fumbleitis.

"Rookies have turnovers" is excuse making at it's worst.  He is a turnover machine, amongst the worst in the NFL in his tenure.

"Flashing" in out-of-it-garbage-time is not something to be proud of, particularly.  It's far easier to "flash" when the games mean nothing to both teams.

There is simply no basis as yet for "he is way better than his first two years".  As they saying goes, he is what his record says he is to this point.  Till he proves otherwise.

Rex has only had two QB's, Sanchez and Smith.  Noth were bad, and there is no shortage of reasons why they were bad.  Rex was a factor, not the cause.  

I, for one, have seen enough of "what we have" in Geno Smith, but I am open minded......if what YOU think is true, Geno Smith should have no trouble kicking Fitz's ass in training camp (as Fitz is the very definition of "Average JAG"), winning the #1 QB job, and with these WR"s and this D, starting a solid 2015 season as a winning team, say 4-1 or so, right?

So we'll see.  

But be assured, my dislike of Geno Smith as a starter is not "hate", it's analysis and evaluation.

And yet despite that he threw more completions down the field than we've seen in a long time the last two years. Experience can go a long way to fixing the problems you speak of. So can a QB friendly system that suits his talents better. Now if biologically he can't process information fast enough that is a problem, but I'm not sure that is the issue. sh*t, even S Young was traded at one point. No, I'm not saying he's S Young before you ask. Not everyone starts their career guns blazing knowing all there is to know at the top of their game, and if you are thrown to the fire day one a bad team with no one to learn from who knows if you'll reach your potential. 

You are seeing this completely black and white. No one is saying hand him the job. The question was, given that he has shown some positives and played well 5 out of the last 6 games, is it possible he puts it together this year? if he does we have a very dangerous team

And because you keep saying it's true, huh? I know you are invested in that opinion so it will be very hard for you to admit it if you are wrong; I learned a long time ago to be very careful with saying "never". More often than not it comes back to bite you in the ass.

It is an opinion based in what i see. Sorry but i prefer higher probabilities than "never say never," odds that geno develops into an even average qb are so low it is a very poor/reckless gamble.

Do you have a personal issue with Smith? Why the constant references to his intelligence? What are you a Mensa Scholar? You keep making these idiotic statements as if they are fact, but they are just your OPINION, nothing more. You might what to preference your statements that way; people might take you more seriously.

Yes i have a personal issue: he stinks and i want the jets to win. Not disputing it is an opinion, so not sure what points you hope to score by saying it IN ALL CAPS. Backing geno right now is like putting your life savings on a 100 to 1 shot. COULD it happen? Yeah, sure. But incredibly unwise.

And yet despite that he threw more completions down the field than we've seen in a long time the last two years. Experience can go a long way to fixing the problems you speak of. So can a QB friendly system that suits his talents better. Now if biologically he can't process information fast enough that is a problem, but I'm not sure that is the issue. sh*t, even S Young was traded at one point. No, I'm not saying he's S Young before you ask. Not everyone starts their career guns blazing knowing all there is to know at the top of their game, and if you are thrown to the fire day one a bad team with no one to learn from who knows if you'll reach your potential.

Again referencing a few outliers (steve young, drew brees) is not "proof" or "evidence," it is hope that requires one to ignore the much stronger and more numerous examples of bums who never developed beyond sucking and played their way out of the league. Many i will note were drafted much higher than geno.

You are seeing this completely black and white. No one is saying hand him the job. The question was, given that he has shown some positives and played well 5 out of the last 6 games, is it possible he puts it together this year? if he does we have a very dangerous team

I believe the odds are incredibly low, making it a poor gamble. Better odds that ryan fitzpatrick is rich gannon, although obv thats a long shot also fitz's floor is higher by many orders of magnitude, limiting downside risk substantially esp considering how good our defense is likely to be.

Geno was done no favors the last two years between the offensive personnel and a head coach who was allergic to smart offensive game planning. Geno has shown some decent flashes despite all of that, but still has a lot to prove.  If he's given the chance this year, there are no more excuses. 

Agreed. Thank you for that.

It is embarrassing that I read the opinions of people online, that i wouldn't give 30 seconds of my time in real life. Know it alls...People forget that they are talking about a man who is in the top 50 or so in the world at his job.  

JN posters... please enlighten me. Am i missing something? Is this NFL alumni posting on JN or just a bunch of fans?  99% of you don't understand what goes into successfully running a NFL franchise. I don't either... 

Pathetic. 

Again referencing a few outliers (steve young, drew brees) is not "proof" or "evidence," it is hope that requires one to ignore the much stronger and more numerous examples of bums who never developed beyond sucking and played their way out of the league. Many i will note were drafted much higher than geno.

I understand that. I didn't say it was proof or evidence that he will get better. Yet, the point remains the same, and by no means did I suggest that because others have been successful that he will be too. He's on his rookie contract and costs little to have on the roster he has the physical tools and has potential to be good. Yes, he has his issues never I said he didn't, but for people to suggest that he cannot possibly get better is naive. As I said before a system that suits his skill set and better coaching can go a long way. That doesn't mean he'll be a hof sb mvp either we just need him to be above average and the coaching staff could be the difference.

It is embarrassing that I read the opinions of people online, that i wouldn't give 30 seconds of my time in real life. Know it alls...People forget that they are talking about a man who is in the top 50 or so in the world at his job.  

JN posters... please enlighten me. Am i missing something? Is this NFL alumni posting on JN or just a bunch of fans?  99% of you don't understand what goes into successfully running a NFL franchise. I don't either... 

Pathetic. 

Yes I wonder about some these folks are like in real life.  Labeling people; making definitive statements;  "he can't learn, he's stupid, He will NEVER be any good, etc."  So narrow minded and impatient; acting like they are so superior; it is really pathetic.  Can we at least let our new HC and his OC see what they can do with this kid since we don't that many alternatives?    

He's got a first class receiving corps this year which is miles above what he had coming into the league.  Don't forget Decker was hurt most of last year.  IF he beats out Fitzpatrick it's quite possible his overall play will go sharply upward.

Offense is a rhythm.  A good play by a receiver here and there changes the complexion of the game and the momentum.  Geno hasn't had a lot of good plays by the receivers in his first two years to generate momentum and help him get into a good groove.

Geno has earned himself a seat on the bench. Period.

Preach brother!  The amen section is with you. 

I understand that. I didn't say it was proof or evidence that he will get better. Yet, the point remains the same, and by no means did I suggest that because others have been successful that he will be too. He's on his rookie contract and costs little to have on the roster he has the physical tools and has potential to be good. Yes, he has his issues never I said he didn't, but for people to suggest that he cannot possibly get better is naive. As I said before a system that suits his skill set and better coaching can go a long way. That doesn't mean he'll be a hof sb mvp either we just need him to be above average and the coaching staff could be the difference.

My suspicion is jets will never know unless fitz gets hurt I see essentially 0 percent chance geno beat him out. He will seve as backup this year and be gone afterward if anyone is willing to give up a 7th for him.

Yes I wonder about some these folks are like in real life. Labeling people; making definitive statements; "he can't learn, he's stupid, He will NEVER be any good, etc." So narrow minded and impatient; acting like they are so superior; it is really pathetic. Can we at least let our new HC and his OC see what they can do with this kid since we don't that many alternatives?

Gee we dont like a player who is playing for the jets and are expressing same on a fan board. Get off your high horse. When geno stinks this year i expect an apology for your cheap, feigned outrage.

Geno has earned himself a seat on the bench. Period.

Hopefully bench of another team dont want his sulky open mouth flycatcher face on this team anymore.

JN posters... please enlighten me. Am i missing something? Is this NFL alumni posting on JN or just a bunch of fans? 99% of you don't understand what goes into successfully running a NFL franchise. I don't either...

Pathetic.

Unfortunately there are only 32 NFL teams. Top 50 is basically the lower quartile of backups in the league. Thanks for proving the point of the people who you think you disagree with.

Well said. Enough with Geno already. THE GUY SUCKS. DONE.

Its just the younger folks. Ridiculous irrational defense of Rex lasted until approximate four seconds after he signed with buffalo. Same will happen with geno, sometimes knowing you are right in the face of cat calls and shout downs have to be your only reward.

Geno has had some of the worst weapons on offense of any QB in the NFL.Decker was hurt almost the entire season and Geno was again throwing to the Salas, etc,,,of the world

If i was blind and couldnt see him play it would make me like him more, not less.

Not just irrational, but "Completely" so? Lol. Worst starting qb in league. Its actually irrational to defend him just because he wears a green jersey. If pats drafted him after brady retires we would be mocking them and him incessently. The geno sniffers are not being objective--definition of irrational.

People can talk them selves into Geno not sucking but I have watched him.

Run backwards when being rushed, that's panic.

Come off the field and not look at any pictures or talk to anyone to try and figure out what the defense is doing.

The buffalo game which was the worst performance there has ever been for a QB. 2 for 8 with three pics In One quarter.

Defend that

They will need to wait until they are given permission to think he stinks when he is cut by jets. Homers lack independent thought. They would still be making rexcuses if he wasnt canned.

Geno's biggest problem is between his ears. I am hoping Chan Galey and Bowles can get inside his head a little bit and make him relax and play well consistently. One thing that bears mentioning is that the great game he had against the Fins was a game in which there was no pressure on him and he had nothing to lose, as many predicted that would be his last game a starter. I think that made all the difference mentally. If he can learn to relax than maybe he can become the guy.

He is going to ride bench this year.

Screw stats. He was worse, because he made the same stupid mistakes and apparently lost his ability to tell time. What a mook. He sh*t the bed when it counted and his stats were padded in extended garbage time, Give me an effin' break. **** his completion percentage, perfect game and any other nonsensical horsehit you care to throw out there to justify his "performance". He sucked ass, plain and simple.

Worst part is he was obviously lying, he would be early to meeting not late if he forget to set his watch and he knew what time the movie started didnt he? Did the theater have show times listed in eastern standard? Rex swallowed a fish tale that was an obvious lie, the kind a toddler tells when his face is covered in frosting and he says he didnt eat the cake. Rex didnt care, coddle the QB, set horrible precedent for the team. Zero accountability. A man wouldve said damn coach im sorry i just forgot. Not make up a ridiculous an obvious whopper only a dumbazz would try that. Say your car broke down and phone died or something damn. Plus he sulked and tried to run away from draft when he slipped passed 1st round but his agent sweet talked him into staying knowing he would slip even farther. He is dumb and has an entitled attitude and folds in face of adversity. Was worth the flier in round 2, but three seasons flushed waiting on this guy to get it? No thanks, we have suffered enough.

I am hopeful, I will put it that way. I am not willing to write him off just yet.

Chan Gailey has elevated QBs before, really hope that is what happens here this year.

He will be elevating fitz, not geno.

If he can we should find out this season. Between receivers, improved line (hopefully), solid ground game, and a defense that will take pressure off him to play perfect he is set up to have his best season so far. Gailey also seems like the type of coordinator that can get the most of Geno as well.

I'm pretty optimistic and like enough of what I saw the final month and a half to feel Geno has a good chance to be our starter and be successful. If it doesn't happen then hopefully Fitz can win games for us with the supporting cast.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Good chance? If you like <5% odds, then yeah chance is "good." So all he needs to have his "best" season (qbr 72???) is stud receivers, stud oline, stud running game, stud defense. Way to defend the position that he is salvageable. Jets fans have severe stockholm syndrome after being held hostage by dogsh*t qbs for forty years, excepting a vinny year and half a favre year. GENO SUCKS WE DESERVE BETTER, BREAK FREE OF YOUR CHAINS!

I think it depends on what you consider succeeding.

I think Geno has enough physical attributes to play QB at the NFL level, even though he has a long way to go.

I think he could possibly learn to cut down on stupid turnovers, and even to read a defense a bit better, mabye even get more accurate as his mechanics and reads improve.

BUT, I think he has zero leadership ability whatsoever. This is evident by a few things, first, I have not heard one teammate ever get his back. Hell, even Sanchez had a lot of players getting his back, Geno has none. His missing a team meeting as the starting QB was a devastating hit to his leadership ability. In fact, I have read quotes that imply his teammates don't really like him at all.

Even if he is able to raise HIS play to decent NFL QB play, which is no given by any stretch, I dont think a QB can be truly successful without being a leader and making everyone around him better.

I think it depends on what you consider succeeding.

I think Geno has enough physical attributes to play QB at the NFL level, even though he has a long way to go.

I think he could possibly learn to cut down on stupid turnovers, and even to read a defense a bit better, mabye even get more accurate as his mechanics and reads improve.

BUT, I think he has zero leadership ability whatsoever. This is evident by a few things, first, I have not heard one teammate ever get his back. Hell, even Sanchez had a lot of players getting his back, Geno has none. His missing a team meeting as the starting QB was a devastating hit to his leadership ability. In fact, I have read quotes that imply his teammates don't really like him at all.

Even if he is able to raise HIS play to decent NFL QB play, which is no given by any stretch, I dont think a QB can be truly successful without being a leader and making everyone around him better.

In a nutshell, exactly what it means to be a Jet fan (no offense meant personally to the poster).  We've been hearing this same platitude as we suffered through Rex, Tebow, Sparano, Shoddy, Sanchez, McKnight, Obie, Walton, Bubby, Chad, Bollinger, and a million other scrubs. 

Listen to the words:  Geno doesn't have it.  The sooner you let go of the fantasy of him succeeding in the NFL, the better it will be for your recovery.

Archived