Mehta: Rex and Bills in position to take AFC East (LOL)

Jetsfan80

I know, I know.  Mehta is winning the battle by getting my click.  Don't care, this is hilarious.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mehta-rex-ryan-chance-winning-afc-east-pumped-article-1.2218552

Rex Ryan and Bills in position to take AFC East after Tom Brady suspension

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Published: Monday, May 11, 2015, 9:06 PM

Rex Ryan was probably somewhere in Orchard Park, N.Y., doing celebratory chest bumps around 5:30 p.m. Monday after the NFL delivered the news that Tom Brady will be suspended for the first four games of 2015 for his shenanigans in the DeflateGate scandal.

The Patriots’ golden boy quarterback has been Ryan’s eternal nemesis, a persistent pain in the formerly portly man’s posterior, and an annoyance that has prompted many sleepless nights and fueled much anger.

Commissioner Roger Goodell opened the door for Ryan’s new team by rocking the defending Super Bowl champions with a $1 million fine, the loss of two draft picks and a quarter-season suspension for their most indispensable player.

Brady’s reprimand makes the Buffalo Bills the new favorite to win what has become an intriguing AFC East. It’s Ryan’s division to lose now, which will surely ratchet up his chatter to familiar ear-splitting levels.

Ryan might have changed teams this offseason, but the Patriots are never far from his thoughts. He hates those dudes.

“I’ll be honest,” Ryan said at his introductory news conference in January. “It’s still the Patriots that I want the most.”

Ryan’s defense should send Patriots interim starter Jimmy Garoppolo into the fetal position when Bill Belichick’s team travels to Buffalo in Week 2 without its star signal caller.

Ryan knows full well that playing with underinflated footballs didn’t enhance Brady’s greatness, leaving some people on his staff to express disappointment in the league’s ruling to take Brady off the field.

I don’t want to beat New England without Brady,” one Bills coach told the Daily News. “Let him play.”

New England has won 12 of the last 14 AFC East titles, including all six when Ryan was the Jets head coach. The Dolphins were the last team other than the Patriots to win the division when Brady suffered a Week 1 season-ending torn ACL in 2008.

Brady’s suspension changes everything for the Patriots, whose off-season defections in the secondary made them vulnerable even before the future Hall of Famer felt Goodell’s wrath for “conduct detrimental to the integrity of and public confidence in the game of professional football.”

The Jets’ revamped secondary, frightening defensive line and improved wide receiver corps shouldn’t be overlooked and the Dolphins’ acquisition of Ndamukong Suh makes them hard to ignore, but the Bills are best positioned to dethrone New England.

Ryan loaded up his offense with LeSean McCoy, Percy Harvin and Charles Clay to help mask the obvious deficiency at quarterback. The Bills defense was the engine of a 9-7 team last season, so Ryan’s arrival will only make that unit stronger.

The Bills have the easiest four-game stretch among the AFC East teams while Brady is gone. Buffalo will play three of its first four games at home, hosting the whistle-blowing Colts and then the Patriots before traveling to Miami and returning to play the Giants.

Ryan’s team could easily be 3-1 at the quarter pole, while the Patriots, who will face the Steelers, Bills, Jaguars and Cowboys, might have only one win by the time Brady returns.

Miami has a pair of home division games (Bills and Jets) after kicking off the season at Washington and Jacksonville. The Jets have the toughest early stretch against the Browns, Colts, Eagles and Dolphins.

Brady could have his suspension reduced after his appeal, but he’s a lock to miss at least the first two games, ensuring that the Bills will be the only team in the division to face Brady once in the regular season.

Despite Ryan’s 4-9 record against Brady, he has flummoxed the three-time Super Bowl MVP more than any defensive mind in the past decade. Ryan lost three of four games against the Patriots the past two years by a total of six points with weak teams. He lost both games in 2014 by a total of three points despite fielding a Pop Warner caliber secondary.

Ryan punched a wall in anger and frustration after a 27-25 loss in Foxborough last season. His 2010 AFC divisional road playoff win over Belichick and Brady provided temporary joy, but he’s never been able to unseat his buddies from the AFC East throne.

He has his best chance now with a franchise that has been irrelevant this millennium. It might come down to the season finale against the Jets, which will give the man a chance to stick it to two organizations at the same time.

“I know it’s been 15 years since the Bills made the playoffs,” Ryan said after he got the new gig. “Well, get ready. Man, we’re going.”

He’s right.

Rex Ryan will finally get his revenge against the Evil Empire.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tom Brady being suspended 4 games still gives the Patriots 12 games to win with Brady, on top of the fact that they can probably win 2 of 4 without  him. History has shown that the Patriots can win 10 of 12 games with Brady. 

The Bills had a hard time getting to 9 wins, in fact it took them 10 years to finish over .500, and history has shown that Rex also has a hard time eclipsing 9 wins in a full 16 game schedule.

Not so fast, Mehta, not so fast. LOL

The AFC East was wide open even before Brady was suspended.  The Bills, Phins and Jets have all made some big moves and the Pats have lost some key players.  Even if Brady was there this year would be no push over.  Too bad the pats will now have an excuse for dropping.  Their time is near done.

The AFC East was wide open even before Brady was suspended.  The Bills, Phins and Jets have all made some big moves and the Pats have lost some key players.  Even if Brady was there this year would be no push over.  Too bad the pats will now have an excuse for dropping.  Their time is near done.

Nah it's all good. Jimmy Garrapalo will lead the Pats to another SB win. Belichick is a genius. He can turn any backup QB into a superstar. He could turn Sanchez into the next Brady.

I agree on the premise that it is the Bills division to lose.  They are supposed to be a team on the upswing that has added talent, add in the talk from the HC.  Their expectations are super high, all the pressure is on them. If they don't at least make the playoffs, their season is a huge failure.  I'd rather not have that pressure honestly.  I like being in the position of the unknown.  Sure the Jets have added a lot of pieces, but these guys haven't been playing together for several years like the guys upstate. 

Bottom line is this will be a very interesting year for the AFC East and what has transpired in the past, more than any other seasons, may be totally irrelevant.    All bets are off and any one of the teams including the Jets, could win the division this year.  I really believe that and I felt that way before the suspension.

Nah it's all good. Jimmy Garrapalo will lead the Pats to another SB win. Belichick is a genius. He can turn any backup QB into a superstar. He could turn Sanchez into the next Brady.

But what can he do with a secondary that on paper is worse than the Jets one was last season? Pats* lost a lot of talent I think they finish last in the division this season with or without Brady. Garrapalo is lucky because he only has to play the Bills before Brady comes back and that should be the only team he has to play that has a solid defense but when Brady comes back the rest of the AFC east Defensive lines will get to tear him to shreds and really embarrass the **Patriots** will be a fun year to watch.

Calling the Bills the favorite to win the division is ridiculous, but there's no doubt they're in a good position as the only team in the division that will face the Pats without Brady.

Who is Tannehill throwing to again? Getting rid of Wallace was dumb. Parker is really talented but he's not turning into a #1 receiver overnight. Unless the Phins bank on on him turning into another OBJ, they don't have a single playmaker on offense you have to plan around. The Jets, Pats and Bills all have better talent on offense.

Jets D will stack the box and force Tannehill to throw all day. Good luck against that secondary.

Who is Tannehill throwing to again? Getting rid of Wallace was dumb. Parker is really talented but he's not turning into a #1 receiver overnight. Unless the Phins bank on on him turning into another OBJ, they don't have a single playmaker on offense you have to plan around. The Jets, Pats and Bills all have better talent on offense.

Jets D will stack the box and force Tannehill to throw all day. Good luck against that secondary.

Stills

Cameron

Jennings

James

Miller

Parker

Why?

With Brady out the Fins have the best QB in the division, their D and running game is solid as well and they have the same coaching staff. The Pats are still the Pats but Brady being out will hurt them. The Jets and Bills have a new coaching staff and awful quaterbacks so the Fins are most likely to win the division.

With Brady out the Fins have the best QB in the division, their D and running game is solid as well and they have the same coaching staff. The Pats are still the Pats but Brady being out will hurt them. The Jets and Bills have a new coaching staff and awful quaterbacks so the Fins are most likely to win the division.

With Fitzpatrick, the Jets can make a run for the division or wild card. With Geno, they barely scrape 6 wins.

Archived