Marshall handpicked Jets as new team because of Geno Smith

LIJetsFan

I thought this might be worth posting....

http://www.cbssports...e-of-geno-smith

According to a report from NFL.com's Judy Battista, Brandon Marshall called quarterbacks of teams he thought might be able to use his services when his former team, the Chicago Bears, hired a new general manager earlier this offseason and Marshall knew his time with the team was running low.

Marshall then handpicked the Jets as the team he wanted to play for, according to the report, because of the bond he felt with Geno Smith. "I was really shocked at the intelligence, how smart he was," Marshall said. "I had known him as a player from afar. I didn't know his football IQ was so high. He had crazy passion. When I talked to him, I fell in love with the conversation. I said, this is a real opportunity, we have a great defense, great pieces on offense. If we can come together and gel, we may not be the best in Year 1, but if we can be effective and not turn over the ball, we can be in every game."

Now, a few months later, Marshall and Smith are running through simulated plays in Smith's living room – Marshall moved in with Smith earlier this offseason – to try to get to know each other as people and players. "We're growing every single day," Marshall said. "I look at it like a little brother. Rooming with him has really speeded up that process. We look at each other a different way. It just makes you want to fight that much harder. We have our ups and downs as far as trying to learn the offense -- he wants me to look for a back-shoulder and I'm running down the field -- but I've got to say, in the last two weeks, we've made a pretty significant jump. We're starting to see the game the same way. It comes from hours and hours of communication, or walking through it at the house."

Playing for us prolly has more to do with shortening his Showtime show commute, than it does his "hand-picking" the statistically worst a QB in the NFL.

Also, they're sharing a house. What's the scoop on that arrangement? Did BMarsh just invite himself to move in, or did they buy/rent a new spot together?

Playing for us prolly has more to do with shortening his Showtime show commute, than it does his "hand-picking" the statistically worst a QB in the NFL.

Also, they're sharing a house. What's the scoop on that arrangement? Did BMarsh just invite himself to move in, or did they buy/rent a new spot together?

It was just a short term stay, he will be moving into his own place near the end of June.  I think Marshall kicked the idea to Geno who obviously thought it was a good idea.  If you see them on social networks you will see they are definitely bros, seem to really get a long with eachother on and off the field.  I think it was a great idea and I commend Marshall for at least coming to town and doing everything in his own power to help grow Geno as a QB.  Only time will tell if he can stand on his own two feet.

It was just a short term stay, he will be moving into his own place near the end of June. I think Marshall kicked the idea to Geno who obviously thought it was a good idea. If you see them on social networks you will see they are definitely bros, seem to really get a long with eachother on and off the field. I think it was a great idea and I commend Marshall for at least coming to town and doing everything in his own power to help grow Geno as a QB. Only time will tell if he can stand on his own two feet.

Free rent breeds positivity.

Lol.

Only Jets fans could find something negative about this article.  Unreal.

I think it's great. Looking forward to that combo: "Smith to Marshall... Touchdown!!!" Negative nellies in 1, 2 , 3....

He had crazy passion. 

We are going to see a whole new example of crazy when Geno schwanzes multiple, sure 6, passes to Marshall. 

I truly believe both of these players have strong desires to win and and are passionate guys.

Marshall has the skills to bail Geno out of some poorly aimed tosses, but I'm still not thinking Geno has the skill to throw the ball to the right guy, at the right time, in the right space, enough to help us win football games.

Hope I am wrong.

Either the reason is genuine or not his actions so far shows he's trying. IMO what he's doing isn't earth shattering. He's a veteran on a new team that's been looking for a top WR forever. By doing this he's not only embracing the role but at the same time trying to get back to high level.

We are going to see a whole new example of crazy when Geno schwanzes multiple, sure 6, passes to Marshall. 

I truly believe both of these players have strong desires to win and and are passionate guys.

Marshall has the skills to bail Geno out of some poorly aimed tosses, but I'm still not thinking Geno has the skill to throw the ball to the right guy, at the right time, in the right space, enough to help us win football games.

Hope I am wrong.

Here is the problem.  Once the play begins, Geno processes the action around him and coming at him very, very slowly.  Extremely slowly.  By the time the light bulb turns on, it's too late.  Maybe Marshall is correct in that Geno may be very smart, but unfortunately being very smart is insufficient if you can't process what's happening quickly enough to adjust to the moment.  

This shows how much mature Marshall has become.

It's has me worried though cuz what's he gonna say when Geno sh*ts the bed? Marshall's going a little overboard in his support. Geno needs constructive crticism, not a reach-around.

it's kinda following the progression of a typical BPD relationship, we're in the idolization phase now.. won't last

Here is the problem.  Once the play begins, Geno processes the action around him and coming at him very, very slowly.  Extremely slowly.  By the time the light bulb turns on, it's too late.  Maybe Marshall is correct in that Geno may be very smart, but unfortunately being very smart is insufficient if you can't process what's happening quickly enough to adjust to the moment.  

And none of this has anything to do with the fact he was a 22 and 23 year old player in the league going through growing pains?  Geno is the only player this happens to? 

The game slows down as they gain experience.

And none of this has anything to do with the fact he was a 22 and 23 year old player in the league going through growing pains?  Geno is the only player this happens to? 

The game slows down as they gain experience.

I personally doubt that Geno succeeds but Mac and Bowels have placed several things on Geno side of the ledger, and now this Marshall dynamic is one more.  Go Jets!   

Archived