Fitz Just Not Good Enough

JohnnyLV

Of course you called this.  It's the most predictable aspect of this board.  The sh*tty backup QB is the favorite player of the fans, who somehow forget all the dreadful games he's had.  It doesn't mean they're right.  

you're talking about fitzpatrick right?

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I stand corrected. I had found a list that had Fitz at 0 from 2012 on which is what I meant.

Interesting nugget for the Geno haters, and backs up the point that Geno can make plays when it is needed. Geno is only 2 behind Fitz in this stat for his career with already 7 GWD and 4QC despite playing on worse teams with lesser coaching and less weapons.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/comeback.cgi?player=SmitGe00

It really is good evidence of how limited Fitz really is, and how dynamic Geno can be.

I stand corrected. I had found a list that had Fitz at 0 from 2012 on which is what I meant.

Interesting nugget for the Geno haters, and backs up the point that Geno can make plays when it is needed. Geno is only 2 behind Fitz in this stat for his career with already 7 GWD and 4QC despite playing on worse teams with lesser coaching and less weapons.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/comeback.cgi?player=SmitGe00

It really is good evidence of how limited Fitz really is, and how dynamic Geno can be.

A player punched him in the mouth. He has no respect in that locker room

You do not know that. No one does.

If the story is true that nobody came to defend him, then what does that tell you?

All I know is that the players love him and his stats are good enough to win games in the NFL. Geno Smith does not deserve the benefit of the doubt. I will take wily veteran over weak upside any day of the week

You do not know that. No one does.

johnny, you are persistent, I will give you that. when the day comes that geno smith actually earns the starting qb position, I will have his back, just like I do fitz. be it next week or next year. until then, how about just stfu about it. or at least wait till fitz strings a few bad games/losses together first

did it to rex and revis and the past* and in the black hole

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/comeback.cgi?player=FitzRy00

thanks for posting that, good stuff in there. These stats I thought were interesting:

fitz stats when leading (career):

61.6% 36TD/13INT 90.3 rating

Tied:

60.4% 22/12 83.3

behind:

59.6% 76/82 74.7

so if you go into the numbers you see the two fitzpatricks. When the defense gives him a lead he is basically Chad Pennington. When he's playing from behind he turns into geno smith 

thanks for posting that, good stuff in there. These stats I thought were interesting:

fitz stats when leading (career):

61.6% 36TD/13INT 90.3 rating

Tied:

60.4% 22/12 83.3

behind:

59.6% 76/82 74.7

so if you go into the numbers you see the two fitzpatricks. When the defense gives him a lead he is basically Chad Pennington. When he's playing from behind he turns into geno smith 

why don't you go start a Genosmith.com website and post there... the domain looks safe

johnnysd can be you're webmaster

What frustrates them is that this discussion is over for this season.  There is almost no possible scenario barring injury or a complete NY JETS collapse where Geno will even see the field this year or possibly ever again.  Maybe if we get to 4-7.

Maybe

What are the chances we lose the next five straight?  That would be almost Geno-like

Geno was a shot in the dark pick.  A flyer, taken by a crappy GM and yet some delusional fans still think he's a dynamo waiting in the wings.  I'm dumbfounded, what were you guys watching last year.  You all probably thought Rich Kotite was the next Lombardi when he got fired too.  

You all probably thought Rich Kotite was the next Lombardi when he got fired too.  

I just wanna see Kotite coach with all these weapons, he never had this firepower. If he loses 4 or 5 games in a row then you're right and we can find a new coach next year. But Bowles cost us 2 games already, so it's clear we not winning the Super Bowl with him killing this team - I just don't see why we don't have Kotite coaching.

I appreciate your restraint as well as the fact that you continue to believe in Geno.  I think that window may be closed for this year.

At this point the window for Geno is most definitely closed. Hopefully it remains that way for the duration of the year because if it opens that means we're pretty much tanking at the QB position and I would HATE to see that after starting the season 4-2. 

I think Geno has an opportunity next year though. Giving this guy a year to learn the system but also watch a veteran run the offense along with getting familiar with all of the new talent (Marshall, Smith etc.) could be a great benefit for Smith. 

I havent been impressed with Geno in the past but I also understand the level of coaches he had and their amount of incompetence on the offensive side of the ball when it came to talent. I still hope we can pull a guy like Mike Glennon in, I just think that he's more talented overall, but I think that Geno could be his best version of a football player under this guidance. 

Moronic or not, threads are made every week and the people who call the topic moronic typically participate in the convo on a weekly basis. 

Is Fitz still the worst QB ever to start in the history of this franchise? You were pretty active on that moronic thread. It was a basic argument between rational and irrational. To Fitz's credit he's displayed a level of competence at QB that has largely squelched his detractors in a way that his defenders could not. (and when I say "defenders" I mean fans who said give the man a chance and trust the coaches, not blind Fitz fans). 

By bringing in an experienced hand we have an upgrade at the QB position this season. At 4-2 and without glaring deficiencies it's ridiculous to not acknowledge that.

I think Geno has an opportunity next year though. Giving this guy a year to learn the system but also watch a veteran run the offense along with getting familiar with all of the new talent (Marshall, Smith etc.) could be a great benefit for Smith.

Unlikely.  New regimes mean new QB's every time.  Either the coaching staff/front office will be pushing for Bryce Petty to be the guy or they'll be re-entering the QB market.  There won't be a place for Geno when the dust settles.  Fitz is operating on a 1-year deal, so his roster spot isn't safe either.  And that's a good thing.  We need to be dreaming bigger than a journeyman or a reclamation project at the QB position.

Unlikely.  New regimes mean new QB's every time.  Either the coaching staff/front office will be pushing for Bryce Petty to be the guy or they'll be re-entering the QB market.  There won't be a place for Geno when the dust settles.  Fitz is operating on a 1-year deal, so his roster spot isn't safe either.  And that's a good thing.  We need to be dreaming bigger than a journeyman or a reclamation project at the QB position.

You can dream all you want, at the end of the day you must have a legit guy come it for the dream to be relevant, until then you deal with what you have. The Jets can draft or even trade/acquire a QB next year and if its not a "franchise QB" we're going to see a QB competition next year between Geno/Bryce/Fitz/newbie. Someone is going to lose their job. This coaching staff doesnt seem like the type to push a guy forward just because they drafted him so that makes him "their guy". They traded for Fitz yet he was 2nd on the depth chart until Geno got into his altercation. They drafted Bryce yet kept him as the #3 which was the right thing to do. 

This regime seems like they're smart enough to put the best guy on the field. If the best guy is Fitz again he will be the starter, if its the newbie..same outcome. If the best QB is Geno you better believe that they're going to play him. If its Bryce then they'll play him. 

The "best" player will play, no matter what regime they come from. 

You can dream all you want, at the end of the day you must have a legit guy come it for the dream to be relevant,

Exactly.  We don't have a legit guy on the roster yet unless Petty develops.  Thank you for helping me advance my point.  We'll be bringing in 1-2 new QB's this offseason either via the draft, free agency/trade, or both.  With a max of 3 roster spots devoted to QB's, Geno will either be relegated to backup duty again or he'll be cut. 

Is Fitz still the worst QB ever to start in the history of this franchise? You were pretty active on that moronic thread. It was a basic argument between rational and irrational. To Fitz's credit he's displayed a level of competence at QB that has largely squelched his detractors in a way that his defenders could not. (and when I say "defenders" I mean fans who said give the man a chance and trust the coaches, not blind Fitz fans). 

By bringing in an experienced hand we have an upgrade at the QB position this season. At 4-2 and without glaring deficiencies it's ridiculous to not acknowledge that.

Yeah, I was active in the thread, and I totally agree. It was an argument of rational and the irrational. Its rather irrational to talk about how bad Geno "is" with this group when no one has seen him play at all. Thats not being rational at all. Having an opinion of what you expect from him is one thing, THATS not irrational. However, acting like the man is a failure with this group while acting like you're correcting everyone who feels like Geno could possibly be productive is absolutely irrational and moronic. That doesnt mean the topic in general is moronic or beneath me...hence the reason why I participated in the convo. 

Anyway, Fitz is playing well and I feel like the Redskins/Pats games were his best games, which means that he's getting better as the season goes on. Though he still turned the ball over, Sunday was the first game where Fitz didnt throw a pick. You can support Fitz and recognize his contribution while still thinking that Geno could also be good in this system. The coaches themselves gave him the benefit of the doubt by keeping him as the 1st stringer during TC. 

Its ridiculous to think that you cant acknowledge fitz production yet like Geno's potential at the same time. 

Exactly.  We don't have a legit guy on the roster yet unless Petty develops.  Thank you for helping me advance my point.  We'll be bringing in 1-2 new QB's this offseason either via the draft, free agency/trade, or both.  With a max of 3 roster spots devoted to QB's, Geno will either be relegated to backup duty again or he'll be cut. 

Petty or Geno develops. Geno is a 3rd year QB. He's not a decade vet like Fitz. You're welcome for advancing your point, too bad you limit your own point by purposely disregarding ALL of the young talent currently at the position. 

Petty or Geno develops. Geno is a 3rd year QB. He's not a decade vet like Fitz. You're welcome for advancing your point, too bad you limit your own point by purposely disregarding ALL of the young talent currently at the position. 

Geno will be entering the final year of his rookie deal.  He's had 2 full years as a starter and blew his chance at a 3rd with his immaturity.  It's true that he's still young.  But he's not in the same camp as Petty.  And teams can't afford to carry 2 developmental QB's on the roster.  Geno's best hope is to fall into the "veteran backup" role, with Fitzpatrick being let go in the offseason to allow him that roster spot.

Yeah, I was active in the thread, and I totally agree. It was an argument of rational and the irrational. Its rather irrational to talk about how bad Geno "is" with this group when no one has seen him play at all. Thats not being rational at all. Having an opinion of what you expect from him is one thing, THATS not irrational. However, acting like the man is a failure with this group while acting like you're correcting everyone who feels like Geno could possibly be productive is absolutely irrational and moronic. That doesnt mean the topic in general is moronic or beneath me...hence the reason why I participated in the convo. 

Anyway, Fitz is playing well and I feel like the Redskins/Pats games were his best games, which means that he's getting better as the season goes on. Though he still turned the ball over, Sunday was the first game where Fitz didnt throw a pick. You can support Fitz and recognize his contribution while still thinking that Geno could also be good in this system. The coaches themselves gave him the benefit of the doubt by keeping him as the 1st stringer during TC. 

Its ridiculous to think that you cant acknowledge fitz production yet like Geno's potential at the same time. 

Its good to see more rational posts from you this week. I still disagree on Geno's potential, not physically, he has a ton of physical potential, I just don't think he has the leadership qualities to be a good franchise QB. That said, I recognize that is my opinion and could certainly be wrong. Either way, we should all hope that Geno does not play again this year, because that means that Fitz is playing well enough to keep this team in contention for a playoff spot.

did it to rex and revis and the past* and in the black hole

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/comeback.cgi?player=FitzRy00

in the game he "did it to rex and revis" our rookie QB threw 5 INts and we threw 6 INts total and the great Ryan "led" Buffalo to a 16-13 win in OT. 

By the way, Buffalo was never trailing in that game in the 4th qtr.  It was 13-13 entering the 4th.

In the black hole against the mighty raiders?  just incredible. how he managed to lead Buf back from 4 pts down in the 4th, the stuff that legends are made of.:lol:

Short memory? Longing for Geno? Let me give you a reminder from one year ago today..

FB_IMG_1445911399891.jpg

yep, the team is exactly the same minus the QB.  Thank you Ryan for making us relevant! it is all about the greatness of Ryan Fitzpatrick!

At this point the window for Geno is most definitely closed. Hopefully it remains that way for the duration of the year because if it opens that means we're pretty much tanking at the QB position and I would HATE to see that after starting the season 4-2. 

I havent been impressed with Geno in the past but I also understand the level of coaches he had and their amount of incompetence on the offensive side of the ball when it came to talent. I still hope we can pull a guy like Mike Glennon in, I just think that he's more talented overall, but I think that Geno could be his best version of a football player under this guidance. 

I pretty much agree with this.  I think Geno will have his opportunity to win the job next year in TC.  He will actually have to win it and not have it handed to him but it makes no sense to cut him loose given that we control him next year for small dollars.

The competition will likely be a 3-way competition with Petty, Smith and some veteran who may or may not be Fitzpatrick.  My guess from reading the posts on this board is that Petty may not be ready and so Geno will have a chance to show what he has managed to learn by spending his time on the bench productively. 

Archived