I honestly see an incredibly smart coach that's making the right situational calls

nico002

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wrong.   Early in the 4th qtr, you take the points.  Every time. That makes the second decision a no brainer.  Very poor situational football decisions.

Agreed, but you are not including that we have a kicker who has been on the team less than a week. That was certainly a factor in the decision and should not be lumped in the same thought process as if Folk was playing.

The first one I thought he should have gone for the field goal. Is was not that late in the game and you wanted points on the board at that time. I was praying we wouldn't lose because of that decision. And we did. Because on the second decision to go for it he imo had to go for 7. And earlier FG would have put them in a good position to win. But I'm not killing Bowles for being aggressive . Because many Jets fans would be killing him either way (if they lost the game). 

Agreed, but you are not including that we have a kicker who has been on the team less than a week. That was certainly a factor in the decision and should not be lumped in the same thought process as if Folk was playing.

he's a pro kicker, it would have been a 38 yarder.  if he doesn't trust him w/ a 38 yarder why is he on the roster?

I wonder who called the 3 and 10 QB sneak? It worked, but I never seen that call ever in a football game unless it was to avoid a challenge. 

That had to be an audible. 

While i usually lean more aggressively, too, I agree with everyone who would've kicked the FG rather than go for it early in the fourth. The offense wasn't playing well. Have to take the points when you can. Would've left them down 9 with practically a full quarter to play. I know Phil Simms agreed with the call, but that bothered me the rest of the game. 

he's a pro kicker, it would have been a 38 yarder.  if he doesn't trust him w/ a 38 yarder why is he on the roster?

Because he was all that is left probably. Maybe next week it's an easier decision but less than a week maybe his confidence wasn't there yet. 

I would agree with you generally in this situation. I';m just considering all aspects of what we're talking about. That IS a factor I'm sure and it potentially muddied the decision. 

I dont know how you could possibly say this.  His situational awareness is terrible.  Like almost completely non-existent.  

He's a rookie.  I'm not giving up hope.  He can definitely learn from his mistakes but some of this sh*t is head scratching stupid.  

Because he was all that is left probably. Maybe next week it's an easier decision but less than a week maybe his confidence wasn't there yet. 

I would agree with you generally in this situation. I';m just considering all aspects of what we're talking about. That IS a factor I'm sure and it potentially muddied the decision. 

it was a kick slightly further than an extra point.  I understand all sides, personally I would have kicked it. 

Remember when people were saying he was going to be that unstoppable red zone target because... 6'7"?

Halcyon days. I don't know that I've ever seen an NFL player with his lack of game awareness, body control, and basic propioception. Exactly the kind of guy you want to design a play for in a do-or-die red zone scenario.

Disagree the story last night was bad play calling and very poor QB play.

At a loss on 3d or 4th down when you need say 3 yards ANY RECEIVER is short of the stick. Makes no goddamn sense unless your OC is some retread old guy looking to fund his IRA with a few more paychecks before he takes to his condo in Del Boca Vista Phase 2. Also no hurry up, no urgency, pointless running plays. I hated this Gailey hire,and he has mostly done much to confirm why it was a mistake. 

I dont know how you could possibly say this.  His situational awareness is terrible.  Like almost completely non-existent.  

He's a rookie.  I'm not giving up hope.  He can definitely learn from his mistakes but some of this sh*t is head scratching stupid.  

Yeah, besides, I was a little more annoyed with Gailey than Bowles last night tbh. 

I had all night to toss and turn after this loss!!!

And the old scared football guy in me would have kicked the field goals but the gutsy fan and go for it liked the fact that Bowles showed guts and went for it.  

I realize I am as just as bipolar when it comes to the Jets and my fandom as anyone else.  But I do agree with the OP that Bowles is following what he thinks is right and playing real percentages.  He's not the one leaving his team with no challenges and no time outs with literally a quarter to play. 

So we lost one of the BIGGEST regular season games in my Lifetime!!! Ok

Unfortuantly this is what it means to rebuild and I am extremely greatful to the folks out here who in a very literal sense help me keep me sanity as I follow this team. 

So so thank you all!!

I find no fault with Bowles decision to go for a TD in fact I salute his guts.. Too long have the Jets lived and lost kicking fg's.. Was this a bigger game then the first Jet/Pat game when the Tuna left the Pats for the Jets I think not.. It's Jet fans and their Rex hate that makes them so sick, the bottom line is turnovers decided the game and that is on the players especially Devin Smith.. Long term with Mac and Bowles I see a constant Jet playoff team that will be very competitive every year.. I've never been a whiny SOJF so that's my minority point of view..:)

I find no fault with Bowles decision to go for a TD in fact I salute his guts.. Too long have the Jets lived and lost kicking fg's.. Was this a bigger game then the first Jet/Pat game when the Tuna left the Pats for the Jets I think not.. It's Jet fans and their Rex hate that makes them so sick, the bottom line is turnovers decided the game and that is on the players especially Devin Smith.. Long term with Mac and Bowles I see a constant Jet playoff team that will be very competitive every year.. I've never been a whiny SOJF so that's my minority point of view..:)

Savage. We agree.

Would agree to a point. Gailey is not a good OC. He's an old retread guy with no imagination . He was hired mostly because you have a really 1st time HC (despite the cameo with the Dolphins years ago) and to a lesser degree because he works with Fitz in the past. The playcalling in somewhere between lazy and braindead. And the lack of urgency in each loss has been disgusting and unacceptable . This may not be a championship calibre team but with a decent OC it might be a playoff team. But not with Gailey. 

Would agree to a point. Gailey is not a good OC. He's an old retread guy with no imagination . He was hired mostly because you have a really 1st time HC (despite the cameo with the Dolphins years ago) and to a lesser degree because he works with Fitz in the past. The playcalling in somewhere between lazy and braindead. And the lack of urgency in each loss has been disgusting and unacceptable . This may not be a championship calibre team but with a decent OC it might be a playoff team. But not with Gailey. 

Perfectly said let me add Chan Gailey sucks

Time to think, and I still think we were too aggressive too early for the flow of this game.  Down 12 with most of the 4th left, our O playing decently enough at that point and their O pretty well stopped cold, the right call is to kick the FG on 4th down and go to 22-13 (down 9).

Plenty of time left to get the ball back 3-4 more times at that point.  While the muffed punt may not have happened, you can't coach for a muffed punt, you coach the odds, and the odds say with that much time left it's better to be down 9 than down 12 with most of the 4th left to play.

The play calling in my opinion was horrible, as Schlerith/Stink on ESPN said this morning (and he agrees with my opinions right down the line, for what little that's worth) you simply do not throw a backwards pass 4 yards behind the line on 4th down.  You just don't do it.  You also don't play call to throw to a nobody TE with 1 catch all year on 4th down.  The 3rd and 4th down playcalling down the stretch was simply bad.  No other way to put it.

No, the play calling on offense was simply not good last night, but typical for what we've seen from Gailey this year.  I don;' think we'll be seeing Gailey back in 2016 personally, I think this team and our GM know they can do better that a oft recycled 70 something.

I also disagree with how Bowles used his timeouts towards the end.  Once Buffalo got to 3rd and 2, with something like 2:55 left, you simply do not waste your timeout there because the odds say you're not going to stop them on 3rd and very short.  You hold it back, take the 2 minute warning, and if you fail to stop them, you still have two TO's left to try and force a three and out.

End of the day, we got a very solid Defensive performance last night vs. a pretty sh*t offense apart from the RB.  I can forgive some of those missed tackles (somethign we've suffered from alot this year) because of how good that RB is.

But the O played pretty poorly.  Alot of dropped passes hitting both hands of the WR.  Alot of taking their eyes off the ball.  Alot of missed routine plays that would have made the difference.  Fitz was Fitz IMO, nothing great, but good enough to have won this game if his WR's didn't constantly let him down.  Hell, without the rookies Kickoff drop, we win this game, same as we win in Philli without a horrible specials turnover as well.

I think Bowles will learn and get better, but I agree with the sentiments of some others, he doesn't quite know when to be aggressive and when to be strategic yet, that or he's taking his direction on that on O from Gailey.  In either case, it showed last night to our detriment.  No, I don't want him fired just because I am dissapointed in his performance last night (such asinine trolling that was last night) but I'd like to see him improve, and I believe he will.  Gailey, however, will not improve, this is who he is.  

Losing in our house to Rex Ryan was one of the most painful experiences I've had as a Jets Fan in recent years.  I loathe that man, and we handed him a win and handed a win to a team (IMO) that is clearly inferior to our own at almost every position.  We're ultra thin now at RB, Marshall is clearly hobbled, Decker and Marshall both have too many dropsies and the Rookie and Kerley are simply unreliable options at this point.  

Sadly, it's the same old Jets on O, underperforming.  We'll be lucky to compete the rest of this year with Fitz and the group if Ivory cannot constantly be the Ivory of the early season.  And no, Geno wouldn't be better, thats pure fantasy IMO.

To all the people saying they would have kicked it "both times."  Which two times?  They went for it on fourth on three drives.  The drive we are all whining about with the Decker drop and the Marshall negative play.  That would have been a 37 yard FG.  The next drive they punted from their 33 on 4th and 2 with 12 minutes left.  Drive after they had the big pass to Decker on 4th and 4 from their 47.  They couldn't have kicked a FG from there, but there were still 7:30 left.  Most safe types would have punted there down 9 (assuming the FG) with 7:30 left.  I didn't feel that great about that 4th down play after Fitzpatrick pulled the Brady sneak and fell down before the first.  Then they went for it from the 7 and threw to Matt Mulligan's older brother with worse hands.  The distance makes it somewhat likely, but it is no guarantee that people that were going to kick the 2 FGs when it failed were going to go for it the drive where Decker scored.

FWIW, why aren't people blasting Bowles for coming out flat as sh*t in the 2nd half?  The D played pretty good most of the game, but that 80 yard drive to start the half was a disgrace, as was giving up those first downs with 3 minutes left to effectively end the game.  Exactly what you guys would kill Rex for.  #1 rush D my ass.  They got gashed when it counted.

I'm ok with not leaving the game in the hands of a kicker they signed off the street a few days earlier.

Exactly, this part I think is being missed.  We just signed a kicker off the street and the announcers kept talking about how windy the stadium was in the 4th qtr.  I think part  of the decision making was the fact that he wasn't confident in our kicker yet.  That's not anything against Bulluck but again, this guy was out of the league a week ago.  Rightfully so, Bowles thought we had a better shot at converting.

Parcells was under contract, had just taken NE to the SB and he made a deal under the table w/ the Jets so the NE fans had more of a right to be pissed.  rex never wanted to leave and we let him go.

I'm pretty sure Gailey was hired long before they picked up Fitzpatrick.

i understand why people think going for it was the right call. I'm just old school you take the points and they add up. 

I will say this much tho I don't see a whole lot of difference between these coaches. Both Rex and Bowles outsource the offense to their coordinators. Both guys call the D. both guys order their team to go run heavy (until that doesn't work). They motivate the team (in different ways). 

In the end coaches coach and players play. If the Jets had a more reliable kickoff returner we probably aren't having this conversation. 

Parcells was under contract, had just taken NE to the SB and he made a deal under the table w/ the Jets so the NE fans had more of a right to be pissed.  rex never wanted to leave and we let him go.

Not to mention the Tuna and Saint Cumar came up with a poison pill contract that made it impossible for the Pats to match so that added to the Pat hate in 1998.

That had to be an audible. 

While i usually lean more aggressively, too, I agree with everyone who would've kicked the FG rather than go for it early in the fourth. The offense wasn't playing well. Have to take the points when you can. Would've left them down 9 with practically a full quarter to play. I know Phil Simms agreed with the call, but that bothered me the rest of the game. 

It was. Fitz said in presser that he called it because he knew it was four-down territory and thought that call would get them between 5-7 yards, putting them in 4th and manageable.

People are making it sound like Bullock was like a 50% FG kicker, an unknown UDFA/rookie, or funniest of all that he "just got here" as though he needs to get into game shape, because he was cut and available. He shanked a 2nd XP for Houston - which is terrible but cost the team nothing in either case - and O'Brien made him a scapegoat for his decision to go with Ryan Mallett. But in kicking FGs, Bullock was 5/6 so far and hadn't missed a FG inside 40 yards in over a year. Last year he was an 86% FG kicker.

Passing up on the FG is only the right call if you convert on 4th down. You don't also get credit for the "gutsy" call if it blows up in your face.

Archived