Meet our new permanent kicker - Randy Bullock

ARodJetsFan

Going by what you see? Might be time to see the eye doctor Arod.

As of yesterday, Bullock is dead last in the NFL in touchback percentage.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/kickoff-touchback-pct

BTW, Folk was next to dead last.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/kickoff-touchback-pct?date=2015-02-01

first of all that doesn't tell you how far the kicks went. Teams routinely take kicks that are 5 yds deep out. Also, if you sort for last 3 games the jets are in the middle of the pack, not last. 

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the year, Folk has 13 TBs on 39 kick-offs (33.3%). Bullock has 11 TBs on 21 kick-offs (52.4%).

And before you ask, Folk's career numbers are a touch under 20%, his last 4 years are 30.5%. Bullock is a touch under 50% (4 year career).

FG wise- career for Folk is 80.6; Bullock is 81.7. If you take last 4 years only (to compare more accurately), Folk is 83.9 on FGs. 

Breaking down by distance (again, last 4 years) :

Bullock

20-29      94.1%

30-39      91.3%

40-49      76.7%

50+         50%

Folk

20-29      96.8%

30-39      90.6%

40-49      60%

50+         73.3%

That's quite surprising, to me ... Folk has struggled at 40-49 (3 of 6 this year) but is very good from 50+ (2 of 2 this year). Even Folk's career number at 40-49 is lower than Bullock to date (71.1).

So it depends what you're looking for ... Bullock is more reliable on the 40-49 kicks, but Folk has been superior on the 50+.

I guess it comes down to Folk post-injury - can he still do it - and money.

could maybe be why Folk kicks field goals and doesn't often do punts or kickoffs.

Last few seasons Folk has been great for us. If you have any problem with the guy it should be something along the lines of you don't agree with overpaying a kicker when you can get a younger one for a few years cheaper but Folk is one of the better kickers in the NFL maybe not a top tier kicker but I would say top 10 easy.

For the year, Folk has 13 TBs on 39 kick-offs (33.3%). Bullock has 11 TBs on 21 kick-offs (52.4%).

And before you ask, Folk's career numbers are a touch under 20%, his last 4 years are 30.5%. Bullock is a touch under 50% (4 year career).

FG wise- career for Folk is 80.6; Bullock is 81.7. If you take last 4 years only (to compare more accurately), Folk is 83.9 on FGs. 

Breaking down by distance (again, last 4 years) :

Bullock

20-29      94.1%

30-39      91.3%

40-49      76.7%

50+         50%

Folk

20-29      96.8%

30-39      90.6%

40-49      60%

50+         73.3%

That's quite surprising, to me ... Folk has struggled at 40-49 (3 of 6 this year) but is very good from 50+ (2 of 2 this year). Even Folk's career number at 40-49 is lower than Bullock to date (71.1).

So it depends what you're looking for ... Bullock is more reliable on the 40-49 kicks, but Folk has been superior on the 50+.

I guess it comes down to Folk post-injury - can he still do it - and money.

Interesting. I'd like to see the number of kicks they pulled that percentage from as well. It's easy to have a 66% if you made 2 of 3 and are being compared to a guy who has made 20 of 3o or something like that. Numbers aren't my strong suit... nor is grammer....nor is science... nor is... what are some other subjects? Ahhhh yes.  Memory. 

Who cares about touchback percentage these days?  I'd prefer kickers to kick it high and make the tackle before the 20 like when Westhoff was here.  Folk is the best player we have on special teams.  It's nice that Bullock has filled in capably off the kicker scrapheap, but over the course of his career he's been awful. 

Who cares about touchback percentage these days?  I'd prefer kickers to kick it high and make the tackle before the 20 like when Westhoff was here.  Folk is the best player we have on special teams.  It's nice that Bullock has filled in capably off the kicker scrapheap, but over the course of his career he's been awful. 

yeah, I still don't trust bullock. Like at all. 

Folk was obviously playing hurt since pre-season and finally couldn't tolerate it any more and had to be IR'ed. He is total money when healthy. If you recall he was cut by Dallas because he was missing due to injury, everyone was so worried about him when the Jets signed him. Lo and behold he had some time to heal and he became the team's most reliable player

This

Bullock has kicked well, for us, in a small sample size - but usually when there's a lynch mob running you out of town - life wasn't rosey.

Folk was money for us (3rd best in Jets history) Touch-back ratio wasn't high but I'll take the guy who puts the points on the board.

I said pretty early in the season that our special teams needed to improve and specifically named Folk & Quigley as 2 guys & positions that we needed to upgrade.

Quite a few people here ripped me for naming Folk as a player that was underachieving and asked who is available to replace him.

Well guess what?

you're still wrong? he wasn't replaced for underachieving (he wasn't).  he was placed on IR.

the Jets don't even try long field goals with Bullock. WIth Folk they throw him out there for 50+ routinely. 

Also remember Folk is signed long term. So this "permanent" label is way premature. 

I thought Folk was one of our solidified positions. 

Agree. I'm usually one of those trying to find a way to clear cap room for new blood by cutting dead weight, but Folk isn't dead weight. So many games are decided by whether a kicker chokes or comes through in the clutch.

This team doesn't have enough sure things as it is, so no need to create the absence of one over $2-3M we're probably going to blow on an unworthy backup level player or two anyway. Further, I wouldn't want our coach misguidedly/unnecessarily going for it on 4th down, instead of taking the sure 3 points, because he doesn't believe they are 3 sure points with Bullock.

Folk isn't a 100% kicker, but he's money enough and has made a lot of pressure kicks for us. From 2013-2015 Folk has missed exactly one FG inside of 40 yards, and has never missed an XP in his 8.5 year career. Bullock missed 3 FGs inside 40 just last season alone, including one from inside 30, and got cut from Houston because he missed 2 of 5 XPs for them earlier this season.

Bullock has been just fine for us (particularly for a mid-season pickup), and we could do worse than having him, but we can also do better -- and we already have better. 

Agree. I'm usually one of those trying to find a way to clear cap room for new blood by cutting dead weight, but Folk isn't dead weight. So many games are decided by whether a kicker chokes or comes through in the clutch.

Yep.  It's like having good free throw shooters in basketball.  You don't realize how important they are until you let a good one go and acquire Rajon Rondo.  Poor Kings fans.

Tx making threads unreadable again get a life dude your not even a jet fan

What the hell you talking about?

Was my post about what the thread topic was about?

Did I post "real" stats that Larz requested?

Did my information verify that Arod needs to see an optometrist?

Yep.  It's like having good free throw shooters in basketball.  You don't realize how important they are until you let a good one go and acquire Rajon Rondo.  Poor Kings fans.

Looking it up on Jason's site now, it seems dumping Folk after this season doesn't even save as much as I thought. With the dead cap space that gets accelerated, it's barely $2M, about half of which will be eaten up immediately by re-signing Bullock to come back next season. 

So it saves us about $1M next year, give or take, which is about 0.7% of the salary cap. For a downgrade on the guy who can decide several games per season, I'm unmoved by that type of savings.

If we can upgrade from Folk, with or without any cap savings, I'm all for it. But make sure it's actually an upgrade.

This

Bullock has kicked well, for us, in a small sample size - but usually when there's a lynch mob running you out of town - life wasn't rosey.

Folk was money for us (3rd best in Jets history) Touch-back ratio wasn't high but I'll take the guy who puts the points on the board.

Bullock was run out of town based on a small sample size, IMHO ... he missed 2 PATs and one FG earlier this year (and that's with the new PAT rules).

Last year, although he missed one 20-29 and 2 30-39 kicks (the sort you could call "routine"), he hit 7 of 8 at 40-49 and 4 of 5 from 50+.

Folk was 13 of 37 or 35%

Bullock is 21 of 33 or 63%

So I think you may be wrong .

I booed, and deservedly so.

Watched the entire game unfortunately, worst effort by a Pats team in 10 years.

And that is exactly what pissed me off.

Injuries are always going to happen and they should never be used as an excuse, especially when you still have the best QB and HC on the field.

What the hell you talking about?

Was my post about what the thread topic was about?

Did I post "real" stats that Larz requested?

Did my information verify that Arod needs to see an optometrist?

Yes if the thread topic was douchebaggery.

Folk has been great for us for years.

Bullock was a choking dog in Houston. I'm pleasantly surprised he;s has played well for us so far but in no way shape or form should be be planning to hang on to him as our long term kicker. 

In his first year in Houston he was perfect from within 40 yards but missed 9 of 22 from 40+.

Improved a lot in Year 2 - 30 / 35 (and 2 were blocks, not misses), going 19/22 within 40 yards and an impressive 11/13 from 40+.

Year 3 (this year) he missed 1 FG and 2 PATs (from the longer distance) - and that got him cut. Has gone 6/6 for us so far.

the Jets don't even try long field goals with Bullock. WIth Folk they throw him out there for 50+ routinely. 

Also remember Folk is signed long term. So this "permanent" label is way premature. 

Not even that, but kickers don't exactly age quickly. Folk just turned 31 last month; he can play another 5-10 years.

Didn't even realize until my post earlier, and it's not exactly the stuff of HOFers, but he's technically the most accurate XP kicker in NFL history. No one else has made as many XPs without ever missing one. Woo-hoo -- we have an all-time NFL history leader on the team, and not for bad/Jets reasons like usual!

This team doesn't have enough sure things as it is, so no need to create the absence of one over $2-3M we're probably going to blow on an unworthy backup level player or two anyway. Further, I wouldn't want our coach misguidedly/unnecessarily going for it on 4th down, instead of taking the sure 3 points, because he doesn't believe they are 3 sure points with Bullock.

Folk isn't a 100% kicker, but he's money enough and has made a lot of pressure kicks for us. From 2013-2015 Folk has missed exactly one FG inside of 40 yards, and has never missed an XP in his 8.5 year career. Bullock missed 3 FGs inside 40 just last season alone, including one from inside 30, and got cut from Houston because he missed 2 of 5 XPs for them earlier this season.

Bullock has been just fine for us (particularly for a mid-season pickup), and we could do worse than having him, but we can also do better -- and we already have better. 

Damn that's good Sperm.

Archived