biggest take away from Bowels presser: "we need to get faster"

nico002

I would rather have Mangold Then Abraham

By that logic, we should always trade away our best players for draft picks, as the resulting pick will in all likelihood be in the league longer.

I like Mangold, but Abraham had 5 10+ sack seasons after we traded him, and a 6th with 9.5.  I'd have taken that over the following 8 years.  We could have done with a solid, but not 1st round center, like most of the NFL.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By that logic, we should always trade away our best players for draft picks, as the resulting pick will in all likelihood be in the league longer.

I like Mangold, but Abraham had 5 10+ sack seasons after we traded him, and a 6th with 9.5.  I'd have taken that over the following 8 years.  We could have done with a solid, but 1st round center, like most of the NFL.

Mangold is borderline HOF if he plays for another few years.

Mangold is fairly obviously on the decline, but truth is, that's irrelevant... Since Nick Mangold, only 4 centers have been drafted in the 1st round.  I won't do the numbers of pass rushers, but I think the point should be fairly obvious that a good pass rusher is far more valuable than a great center.  How teams have used their draft picks over the last decade proves that handily.

I like Mangold, but Abraham had 5 10+ sack seasons after we traded him, and a 6th with 9.5.  I'd have taken that over the following 8 years.  We could have done with a solid, but 1st round center, like most of the NFL.

You mean like Super Bowl champion Jonathan Goodwin? 

Abraham is borderline HOF even though he is done.

This is one thing that the coach and gm should have known before hand and one of the few things i didn't like about last off season.  Gave harris a big fat extension and broguth back pace.

what choice did they have, with so many holes to fill?  the jets roster at the end of last year was brutal, then the new gm didn't have time to even bring in his own scouts for the draft.  i am confident mccags knows what he needs and for a change I am confident heading into FA, where he says you go for need.  

what choice did they have, with so many holes to fill?  the jets roster at the end of last year was brutal, then the new gm didn't have time to even bring in his own scouts for the draft.  i am confident mccags knows what he needs and for a change I am confident heading into FA, where he says you go for need.  

Same choice they had when faced with the wr, oline, qb and secondary problems.  Hey i know they can't fix everything in one year.  Harris deal was too much but on that one i can say they may not have had a choice, pace was a big mistake.  As soon as early in camp they were praising him for being like another coach because he knows all the defenses one could feel he was another great team guy/coach like jimmy leonard or eric smith.

Harris had a really good year. They need to swap out Davis for someone with better coverage skills.

I was not a fan of the Harris contract, but he played REALLY well this year. He wasn't the problem. Davis and Pace are just not good enough. For the 10th year in a row we need to draft an edge rusher at LBer and we will end up taking a TE or DT......

Same choice they had when faced with the wr, oline, qb and secondary problems.  Hey i know they can't fix everything in one year.  Harris deal was too much but on that one i can say they may not have had a choice, pace was a big mistake.  As soon as early in camp they were praising him for being like another coach because he knows all the defenses one could feel he was another great team guy/coach like jimmy leonard or eric smith.

it's not mccag's fault that demario davis sucks.  he did a lot in just 1 offseason.  but the focus has to be on the offense, they need upgrades at all skill positions and that's before considering long-term qb, as well as the OL.  the offense really needs young talent everywhere, while the defense has young talent in most positions except for olb and even there mauldin showed promise.  the jets running game really tailed off and they need to fix this to have a shot at the playoffs again.

We traded the speed in the front 7 away for Nick Mangold, and haven't had it since.  All because Herm Edwards decided to play team doctor.

What's kind of funny is Mo has 36.5 sacks in his first 5 seasons, Abe had 43, so not that HUGE a difference. 

Of course, Mo also actually plays the run.

I like Mangold, but Abraham had 5 10+ sack seasons after we traded him, and a 6th with 9.5.  I'd have taken that over the following 8 years.  We could have done with a solid, but not 1st round center, like most of the NFL.

It's not just a player for player swap.

It's a player for player and a lot of cap room at the time.  Not to mention, Abe was always hurt, got sick for a playoff game, and our O Line was awful.  Like, the worst I have ever seen awful.

He is right. This defense is slow. Fastest guy on field is the 31 year old cromartie. Rumor is he can still run a 4.4 if being chased by a process server with a child support summons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, but so could I in that scenario....

Meh. They've had almost 10 years to find a pass-rusher, and they've passed on many of them. We got a non-kicking hall of famer for a decade. I really don't care what position he plays. There are hundreds of things that deserve complaining about above this one.

The slow LB corps was clearly on display Sunday vs the Bills. Revis had the deep coverage on Watkins and the LB's could not contain the underneath. 

On display all season. We're really slow.

We need a linebacker that can cover sideline to sideline. Lavonte David, Telvin Smith, Kuechly type linebacker. That position is all about speed. Telvin Smith leads the league in tackles since becoming a starter, guess how big he is? 225 lbs. Belichick said he could even play like a DB.

Our guys can't even wrap up on wide-receivers.

Mo has 36.5 sacks in 77 games.  Abraham had 43 sacks in 55 games.  That's a huge difference, buddy.

So you want to credit Abraham for being a china doll and missing games? Theres no difference.  At the end of 5 seasons they contributed the same.  Abraham didnt contribute more.

He sat on the bench in a playoff game with a tummy ache.  

So you want to credit Abraham for being a china doll and missing games? Theres no difference.  At the end of 5 seasons they contributed the same.  Abraham didnt contribute more.

He sat on the bench in a playoff game with a tummy ache.  

No, Abraham was more productive after five seasons (not only sacks, but he was excellent at forcing turnovers).  He also had multiple pro bowl selections and first-team all-pro after five seasons.

No, Abraham was more productive after five seasons (not only sacks, but he was excellent at forcing turnovers).  He also had multiple pro bowl selections and first-team all-pro after five seasons.

he contributed little over Mo.  He had a few more sacks and they get headlines, I get it.  But he was always hurt, was more concerned with injuries than playing.  Bottom line he had 5 or so more sacks over the 5 years.  And Mo is the better lineman, does more.  

A bit overblown. Our GM is himself a scout by trade, and spent the 2014 season (and the 3 seasons before that) as Houston's director of college scouting. He wasn't a pencil pusher that merely aggregates the opinions of others. THIS year he might be because he was not spending the entire 2015 season doing nothing but college scouting. 

He brought back Harris and Pace because Bowles - a 100% defense guy - wanted experienced starters for his first season as HC. 

What's kind of funny is Mo has 36.5 sacks in his first 5 seasons, Abe had 43, so not that HUGE a difference. 

Of course, Mo also actually plays the run.

Who's comparing those two players?  And as mentioned, Abe was much more disruptive, though oft injured.

Archived