Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

22 minutes ago, jgb said:

Tom brady's wife makes more money than him. Money has diminishing marginal utility to them. Tom Brady is in a very unique situation and cannot be used as an example of why every player in the league should take a massive discount versus fair market value.

Fitz has 4 kids and hasn't had a big contract in years and his playing days are coming to and end. Besides why so emotional? It's negotiation posturing. Stick to your guns take it or leave it GMs end up reading salary cap spreadsheets in Jacksonville ala Idzik.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who said massive discount? I never asked him to take a discount. I am enjoying him over valuing himself after having one season that was decent. 

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, jgb said:

Tom brady's wife makes more money than him. Money has diminishing marginal utility to them. Tom Brady is in a very unique situation and cannot be used as an example of why every player in the league should take a massive discount versus fair market value.

Fitz has 4 kids and hasn't had a big contract in years and his playing days are coming to and end. Besides why so emotional? It's negotiation posturing. Stick to your guns take it or leave it GMs end up reading salary cap spreadsheets in Jacksonville ala Idzik.

they are paying brady under the table, and his cap number is $14 million, not exactly cheap

they are paying brady under the table, and his cap number is $15 million, not exactly cheap

Also fair points and I would be shocked if he didn't become a highly paid consultant:ambassador for team after he retires in another salary cap avoiding scheme

Just now, jgb said:

Also fair points and I would be shocked if he didn't become a highly paid consultant:ambassador for team after he retires in another salary cap avoiding scheme

its probably the old broncos trick, stock in high powered binoculars company

It's really a big if with Geno. The coaching staff doesn't seem to think he's a clueless as we do. At least that's what they were saying last year. After that punch out he seemed to get back in good graces with the organization. If he had been a total idiot they would have gotten rid of him.  I for one would like to see what he could do. It's tough to throw away 3 years of study and development. This is the year a Qb is supposed to come into his own. So if they don't sign Fitz i'm not against a Qb competition with him and Hoyer, etc. If he loses out no big loss. He's an inexpensive backup for 2016. 

2 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

You have no idea what the team offered or what Fitzpatrick is asking for. If you do please share the links, sources and information. 

It was reported today they offered 3/21. So it's safe to assume he was asking quite more than that. If they weren't far apart wouldn't he have been signed already ? 

It's really a big if with Geno. The coaching staff doesn't seem to think he's a clueless as we do. At least that's what they were saying last year. After that punch out he seemed to get back in good graces with the organization. If he had been a total idiot they would have gotten rid of him.  I for one would like to see what he could do. It's tough to throw away 3 years of study and development. This is the year a Qb is supposed to come into his own. So if they don't sign Fitz i'm not against a Qb competition with him and Hoyer, etc. If he loses out no big loss. He's an inexpensive backup for 2016. 

I will say if a year on bench didn't wake him up nothing will. I pray it doesn't come to it but if he takes the field let's hope a year off did him good.

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

I will say if a year on bench didn't wake him up nothing will. I pray it doesn't come to it but if he takes the field let's hope a year off did him good.

i'm not advocating it. But nothing is impossible. 

1 hour ago, JetBlue said:

Nope, the second half of the season Bilal Powell was healthy and played extremely well.  Stop making excuses already. 

no excuses but our run game killed us the second half. I didn't see Bilal Powell playing extremely well I saw Ridley and Stacey barely make it back to the line of scrimmage but they kept getting put on the field while Ivory was on the sideline getting his leg rubbed.

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Last years QB: 60%, 3905 yds, 31 tds, 15 ints, 2 fumbles, 19 sacks.

Avg of the previous 5 year QBS: 56%, 2944 yds, 15.5 tds, 17.2 ints, 4 fumbles, 33 sacks.

Some people fully would rather go back to the good old days of the complete horror show of SanGeno becasue at some point in time by gosh they said Fitzparick is awful and they would darn well keep saying that until the end of time rather than saying they were dumb and wrong.

This is playing out just the way it should, the QB market is off the rails with guys with 6 game resumes on stacked teams getting 18 million a year, obviously any FA Qb is going to be looking for a large contract.  The Jets are not prepared to pay what is being asked.  There are two sure things in all of this, sooner or later Fitz will sign with someone and if the Jets are not that team the will be going back to a Freddie Krueger movie at QB this next year.

Says who?

Where is it written your choice is what Fitz was a year ago or total shlt?  That there is no in between or better yet, Fitz with strength.

To me Fitz was solid but he wasnt the end all that some want to make him into.  With the talent on offense and what Chan does with an offense, I dont think we're in a Fitz or we suck mode

1 hour ago, pointman said:

Who said massive discount? I never asked him to take a discount. I am enjoying him over valuing himself after having one season that was decent. 

One man's overvalue is the reasonable man's "standard negotiation tactics."

2 hours ago, Larz said:

surprise is the key there.  no reason macc should have extended him last year, he was a back-up hold the fort guy

Agreed. Should of signed him to a two year deal initially and if he sucked the first year they could have just cut him. Probably could of got him on the cheap year 2 and we wouldn't have this problem. Nothing we can do know except wait and see.

nobody thought he would of played the way he did. 

He got his year on the bench and warmed his seat enough. Time to get in the fire and see what we got. Fitzpatrick was NEVER the guy. He had a great year and it was his team if he wanted it but he knows the Jets have him on a short leash and they (OMG I PRAY) will not pay him a huge contract. And that's what he wants. He is a Harvard graduate and those bills arent cheap. Guy got money from the Bills, from the Texans and since the Jets werent gonna give him anything he's gone. AND THAT IS OK. He is not the guy. He NEVER was. 

Petty has an arm, has size and has a year under his belt. Time to throw him in or else he will go wasted and unaccounted for like so many other back ups who seemingly had potential but never got a chance cause of management politics  and media influence. Kapernick is sh*t and with the way the media is here he will be eaten alive at the first sign of stress and regurgitate back into his shell and fetal position in the corner. 

Let's not do another Matt Simms who is now over in Atlanta waiting for his chance. Let's get Petty in there WHO CAN THROW THE DEEP BALL AND NOT LEAVE PASSES SHORT, Bring in a vet to back him up and start getting him acclimated to being this teams leader. Let's stop babying him. Throw him in the blazing inferno. 

nope, give Petty 1-2 more years of learning.  Fitz will cost money, but the team will be better for it.  With the added receiving weapon of Matt Forte, plus getting Amaro back, I'm interested to see what this offense can do.  Would still like one more WR added though.

The only reason why I might push Petty is that he's older than the average second year player. If Fitz isn't back I'd let him and Geno battle it out. A veteran like Hoyer isn't worth it because either of our guys will beat them out. You can bring up Kaep but only on his athleticism alone. Give Petty significant reps and hope someone drops to 20 worst case scenario. If Petty is remotely ready he needs to play though he has a strong arm and athleticism and has been a proven leader everywhere he was.

Jets fans get competent QB play for the first time in over a decade and for maybe the 5th time in franchise history and this is how he is treated. Eff him, greedy bum, how dare he negotiate hard, let him walk, screw him. It really surprises me that Peyton Manning stayed in school to avoid coming here.

33 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

nope, give Petty 1-2 more years of learning.  Fitz will cost money, but the team will be better for it.  With the added receiving weapon of Matt Forte, plus getting Amaro back, I'm interested to see what this offense can do.  Would still like one more WR added though.

Are you sure another two years will be enough? I say we do at least five, when he's on his second contract, he'll be most readiest of all, like walk on the field as Joe Montana ready.

Archived