Jets' Plan JMcC: Inquired about TRADING for Brown's McCown

Gas2No99

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12 tds and 4 Ints for a terrible Browns team last year. When he had weapons in Chicago, he put up 13tds and 1 Int in 8 games. 

Not suggesting Mccown is the answer, but how do we know he is worse than Fitz? Most of the people bashing Mccown were the same ones bashing Fitz  before last year. Both are journeyman QBs that can win with the right talent.

Not to mention he is familiar with both Forte and Marshall. And he excelled with both of them in Chicago a couple of years back. 

3 minutes ago, KRL said:

Don't forget McCown's best play came for CHI in 2013 when Cutler went out.  On that team he had

Marshall & Forte:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/3609/josh-mccown

http://www.nfl.com/player/mattforte/234/gamelogs?season=2013

http://www.nfl.com/player/brandonmarshall/2495893/gamelogs?season=2013

Good call. Both Forte and Marshall had a better 8 games than with Cutler the first 8 games.

I'm on board with Fitz at Reasonable # ... Glennon giving up 3rd or less ... Or McCown ... Besides the 4.4 mil anyone know if there are any other #'s involved for future years?

i don't want any of the other guys

I would definitely take McCown if we can't sign Fitz. I would go in this direction. A capable lower tier Qb who is actually better than this and when given a chance to start has done well. But I don't think the Browns would just give him away unless they sign RG3 and draft a Qb in the first round. But how many times have they drafted a Qb in the first round anyways. If I'm them I'd keep him. 

16 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

IMO McGown has more natural talent than Fitz.  Equal sorta players but he has more natural ability....

I like the idea of bringing in McCown (decent/cheap competition for Geno), but saying he has more natural talent than Fitz is like me pointing out I have bigger boobs than Natalie Portman.  True, but who doesn't?

6 minutes ago, pointman said:

I'd take a chance on that dirtbag Manziel before wanting Josh McWhoever. Please no. I don't want a Browns leftover. 

I won't negative Rep you for that comment (I feel like a Tween typing that) but GOOD GOD MAN!!!!!! Manziel?!?!?! Really? that's just a HORRIBLE IDEA.

McCown is WAY more competent a QB by EXPERIENCE ALONE than that alcoholic adderral snorting smurf from the A&M.

We need COMPETENT Veteran QB play, not NY Post Page 6 headlines.  

Hate to mention this but:

If were looking for a QB just for 1 or 2 years Mccown might be the way to go ESPECIALLY if hes released. Fitz will get atleast 8-10m somewhere meaning that hell likely garner a 3rd round comp pick. McCown may also be much cheaper (Hell be roughly 4m yearly). So the equation will be:

Fitz @ 10million OR McCown @ 4m PLUS a 3rd round Comp pick. In that case Mccown is the way to go. 

3 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

If were looking for a QB just for 1 or 2 years Mccown might be the way to go ESPECIALLY if hes released. Fitz will get atleast 8-10m somewhere meaning that hell likely garner a 3rd round comp pick. McCown may also be much cheaper (Hell be roughly 4m yearly). So the equation will be:

Fitz @ 10million OR McCown @ 4m PLUS a 3rd round Comp pick. In that case Mccown is the way to go. 

All except for this upcoming season..... Fitz is the way to go.

35 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

I won't negative Rep you for that comment (I feel like a Tween typing that) but GOOD GOD MAN!!!!!! Manziel?!?!?! Really? that's just a HORRIBLE IDEA.

McCown is WAY more competent a QB by EXPERIENCE ALONE than that alcoholic adderral snorting smurf from the A&M.

We need COMPETENT Veteran QB play, not NY Post Page 6 headlines.  

I don't want Manziel. I just really don't want McCown. Zero upside to him.

54 minutes ago, pointman said:

I'd take a chance on that dirtbag Manziel before wanting Josh McWhoever. Please no. I don't want a Browns leftover. 

9 minutes ago, pointman said:

I don't want Manziel. I just really don't want McCown. Zero upside to him.

You're contradicting yourself. Regardless, whoever is picked up is NOT the final answer to our problems at QB.

And is there any MORE upside with Fitzy? At least McCown has a stronger arm. 

Neither are LONGTERM answers, merely HOLD THE FORT guys - "Bridges" or temporary "Gate Keepers" - until MacCags ACTUALLY lands the YOUNG QB he wants to be the foundation of this franchise. Unless Petty develops or we hit the lotto on a QB in the draft (Wentz, Lynch, HOGAN!!!, or Adams Jr.) then we're merely remaining COMPETITIVE with a SAVY VETERAN COMPETENT QB until said opportunity presents itself. 

Take McCown this year and we have to be certain his replacement is being developed this year or next. At thirty-six he has little time left in the league before age and/or injury takes him to retirement. That means the front office is either warm on Petty or certain to take a first round QB in the draft this year or next. It would almost certainly mean Geno is out after this year because if Geno could be the default vet starter then you don't need Fitz or McCown to hold the fort. I can't say I'm thrilled to see McCown at QB but I can accept the logic if he's holding the position while we coach up the potential future of the offense.

A 3rd round comp pick for Fitz?

Do you even know how comp picks work?

3 hours ago, Paradis said:

OKay we have to talk about this. If true, then you couldn't scream any louder: "we're drafting a qb in round 1"

Everything they've done continues to suggest that finding a vet QB right now is nothing more than for insurance purposes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think it's a secret that the Jets are looking for a young QB. 

If we don't pick one this year in R1, then it'll absolutely happen next year when we can trade all the comp picks in a move-up to 1 overall.

7 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Do you? Assuming he starts somewhere (Denver?) and makes 9m a year or more he will fetch a very good comp pick. 

http://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/

In looking at that chart, I don't see how Forte can be considered as equal compensation to what we lost in Harrison. $4m - $9 mil AYS.

We should get a 3rd rd. comp for that IMO

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

I don't think it's a secret that the Jets are looking for a young QB. 

If we don't pick one this year in R1, then it'll absolutely happen next year when we can trade all the comp picks in a move-up to 1 overall.

+1 Next year will will draft the golden child..;)

Archived