Jets' Plan JMcC: Inquired about TRADING for Brown's McCown

Gas2No99

3 minutes ago, jack48 said:

Before last season, none of the guys we are hearing about were regarded as a big step down from Fitz.  Which makes me think Gailey could do something with some of them

He absolutely can. 

Why? Tyler Thigpen. Kordell Stewart. Ryan Fitzpatrick.

He makes QBs better than they are. I wouldn't have an issue with McCown at all, pair him with Decker, Marshall and Forte and you're giving him better weapons than he had those years in Chicago and Tampa when he stat'ed like a legit QB.

It's not sexy, but he's also got a reputation for great locker room leadership.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, RoadFan said:

I cannot believe some of you are even entertaining the idea of McCown as an option...not to mention giving up something of value.

He is  Flat. Out. Terrible.

It's all relative. Ryan Fitzpatrick is also terrible, but playing for this coaching staff, with these players around him... he was less terrible.

Maybe Fitz and McCown came down to a coin flip last year, experienced backup to mentor Geno and future draft pick(s) - not thrilled but it should mean they will take a QB high in the draft

In a couple of year, McCowns run in Chicago could be compared to Fitz with the Jets, only question is who gets to play Tampa 

edit; could this also signal the return of Pettine? need to beat the Bills at some point

3 hours ago, chirorob said:

Wow.   that's a smokescreen.  To cover the massive dumpster fire that is our QB situation.

If we give up any sort of pick for Josh f'ing McCown...I mean jesus. I really hope all of this sh*t is either leverage for Fitzpatrick or just us laying low up to the draft before making a move, otherwise this season is going to be one massive turd bomb.

43 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

McCown made Gary Barnidge and Travis Benjamin looks like superstars. Amaro and Devin Smith would be saved by a McCown for Fitz swap

Didnt Mccown pick the Browns over the Jets? We wanted him more than Fitz initially I believe.

Considering the success of our offense last year I'd take Fitz for 10 over McCown for 4 plus. For a starting Qb it isn't that much more money. He knows the offense and the players like him.One thing I don't want is to get Marshall mad at the org. We all know the guy is a flake. Eventually that will probably happen but not this year. But if Fitz gets paid by the Broncos etc. and leaves McCown is a very good fall back. I still think Denver will end up with Kap. There is no way Elway is going into a new season with Mark as the starter. Unless Kubiak decides to dumb down the offense. Something Schotty should have kept doing in 2011. 

If McCown comes at approximately $4 million, I really do not see a $6-10 million difference between him and Fitz.  McCown could very well have a similar bump in his performance simply by virtue of the guys around him and Chan being OC.   No trade, though.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Petty get some burn sooner rather than later.   He has the arm and the body plus a year of NFL exposure under his belt.  I don't see any of the second tier QB's coming out in the draft being better than him.  If they think he's their guy, I think they will let him play rather than waste a draft pick on a young re-tread like Kap.  RGIII won't cost a pick but is probably better served by sitting a year to re-group -- I think he'll be a unmitigated disaster for any team he might start for this upcoming season (and probably in future years as well).

Glennon is the wild card.  If he actually hits the trade market, I would not count Denver out of the running for him.   I like him, but wouldn't overpay.  So, McCown certainly isn't the worst move available.

Marc Trestman got good production out of this guy. If he can, I'm confident Gailey can as well. He has decent mobility and a decent arm. 

And he kind of looks like Ivan Drago to boot. :)

Just please wait until he's released. Don't trade anything for him. 

2 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

You're contradicting yourself. Regardless, whoever is picked up is NOT the final answer to our problems at QB.

And is there any MORE upside with Fitzy? At least McCown has a stronger arm. 

Neither are LONGTERM answers, merely HOLD THE FORT guys - "Bridges" or temporary "Gate Keepers" - until MacCags ACTUALLY lands the YOUNG QB he wants to be the foundation of this franchise. Unless Petty develops or we hit the lotto on a QB in the draft (Wentz, Lynch, HOGAN!!!, or Adams Jr.) then we're merely remaining COMPETITIVE with a SAVY VETERAN COMPETENT QB until said opportunity presents itself. 

I was agreeing with this until the word 'Hogan' who will be the second coming of  a bad Matt Schaub after his decline. SMH.

5 minutes ago, Powpow said:

I was agreeing with this until the word 'Hogan' who will be the second coming of  a bad Matt Schaub after his decline. SMH.

I think it's becoming pretty apparent that they're planning on taking a QB early. A lot of signs pointing in that direction. 

32 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Marc Trestman got good production out of this guy. If he can, I'm confident Gailey can as well. He has decent mobility and a decent arm. 

And he kind of looks like Ivan Drago to boot. :)

Just please wait until he's released. Don't trade anything for him. 

Obviously, but still can't be stated enough. 

More and more it looks like Fitz is done here. The new QB will have good weapons and won't have to sling the rock around so much. It could even be Geno (doubts). I say Kap after he is cut though. If so they go OL, OLB, CB, RB in the draft before QB.

33 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

I think it's becoming pretty apparent that they're planning on taking a QB early. A lot of signs pointing in that direction. 

A QB. Not a wannabe QB like Hogan who won't even be a back up in the NFL. 

Turning over rocks, desperately seeking a QB sucks! All these options are terrible; Geno, Josh, kid Petty, Paying Fitz 15M??

Maybe Kraft will trade us Brady in exchange for Deckers hot MILF wife. C'mon Eric! You can find a new one!!

maybe it's one of them "darkest before the dawn" moments. I'll keep my fingers crossed we get Fitz for less than $10M.

3 hours ago, Shockwave said:

Hate to mention this but:

If were looking for a QB just for 1 or 2 years Mccown might be the way to go ESPECIALLY if hes released. Fitz will get atleast 8-10m somewhere meaning that hell likely garner a 3rd round comp pick. McCown may also be much cheaper (Hell be roughly 4m yearly). So the equation will be:

Fitz @ 10million OR McCown @ 4m PLUS a 3rd round Comp pick. In that case Mccown is the way to go. 

Good post ... Think I'm still leaning the other direction ... But I am wavering 

2 hours ago, Savage69 said:

+1 Next year will will draft the golden child..;)

Who do you have in mind?

At this point, next year's QB crop looks to be weaker in quality than this year. This is the year we should pull the trigger, though the first rounders will likely be gone when we pick.

3 minutes ago, ljr said:

Good post ... Think I'm still leaning the other direction ... But I am wavering 

Im all for fitz but many of his throws were nothing special - Marshall made him alot of money. We have a great OC, and great weapons. I can't think of a better time to draft a qb with big upside like Lynch and let him develop in this system with these players. 

However we need a guy for a year or two. If its only a year is there really a big difference between journeymen Fitz and Journeymen Mccown?

5 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Im all for fitz but many of his throws were nothing special - Marshall made him alot of money. We have a great OC, and great weapons. I can't think of a better time to draft a qb with big upside like Lynch and let him develop in this system with these players. 

However we need a guy for a year or two. If its only a year is there really a big difference between journeymen Fitz and Journeymen Mccown?

The good thing is I trust the judgement of the guys at the top making these decisions for our team.

Man that feels good to truthfully say!!!

3 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

You're contradicting yourself. Regardless, whoever is picked up is NOT the final answer to our problems at QB.

And is there any MORE upside with Fitzy? At least McCown has a stronger arm. 

Neither are LONGTERM answers, merely HOLD THE FORT guys - "Bridges" or temporary "Gate Keepers" - until MacCags ACTUALLY lands the YOUNG QB he wants to be the foundation of this franchise. Unless Petty develops or we hit the lotto on a QB in the draft (Wentz, Lynch, HOGAN!!!, or Adams Jr.) then we're merely remaining COMPETITIVE with a SAVY VETERAN COMPETENT QB until said opportunity presents itself. 

I thought the use of "dirtbag" conveyed how I really felt.. not a desire to have Manziel, but a lack of one for McCown. 

2 hours ago, Better2bgreenthanblue said:

Turning over rocks, desperately seeking a QB sucks! All these options are terrible; Geno, Josh, kid Petty, Paying Fitz 15M??

Maybe Kraft will trade us Brady in exchange for Deckers hot MILF wife. C'mon Eric! You can find a new one!!

maybe it's one of them "darkest before the dawn" moments. I'll keep my fingers crossed we get Fitz for less than $10M.

Fitz at anywhere near $10M is like phucking yourself in the ass with a chainsaw.  His career best (past and future) was the product of talented guys around him and a system that hid his warts.  He did not suddenly turn into an indispensable football god. No thanks. 

6 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

I won't negative Rep you for that comment (I feel like a Tween typing that) but GOOD GOD MAN!!!!!! Manziel?!?!?! Really? that's just a HORRIBLE IDEA.

McCown is WAY more competent a QB by EXPERIENCE ALONE than that alcoholic adderral snorting smurf from the A&M.

We need COMPETENT Veteran QB play, not NY Post Page 6 headlines.  

Yeah but his logic was solid.  He doesnt want McCown because he's an ex Cleveland QB.

So instead he wants Manziel

3 hours ago, sourceworx said:

A weak armed QB who if lucky can become a decent number 2?

So we're all convinced that TRADING for McCown means giving up a pick? 

The Browns have the 32 overall. Technically a second-rounder, but we all know what's up.  What about trading Mo, getting back a "first" and our QB? Maybe something also involving Joe Thomas and D'Brickashaw. 

31 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

So we're all convinced that TRADING for McCown means giving up a pick? 

The Browns have the 32 overall. Technically a second-rounder, but we all know what's up.  What about trading Mo, getting back a "first" and our QB? Maybe something also involving Joe Thomas and D'Brickashaw. 

Why would a team destined to pick a QB relinquish a top 2 pick for a DE that carries a huge contract.  Did you hear that?  That's the sound of the phone being hung up on Mac's ear.  This mess has now resulted in us playing fantasy football.

4 hours ago, Shockwave said:

We would have to jump ahead of the Rams to get Lynch.  They are sweet on him as well.

25 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Why would a team destined to pick a QB relinquish a top 2 pick for a DE that carries a huge contract.  Did you hear that?  That's the sound of the phone being hung up on Mac's ear.  This mess has now resulted in us playing fantasy football.

In my far-fetched scenario we would be trading Wilkerson and Ferguson.  

Our return would be Joe Thomas, Josh McCown, and the 32 overall.  While this year the 32 overall is technically in the second round, in most years it isn't. Hence the "first" round being put in quotes.  I thought I made that apparent, but I guess you fall outside of the "we know what's up" parameters. 

It's a salary dump for a modest return, sure.  But we get a viable starting QB at a more team-friendly rate, a probowl LT (with one less year on his wheels, and a smaller cap hit), and an extra draft pick...this move also affords us tremendous cap cushion to sign other players when they become available throughout the year, as they always do. 

Why would THEY do it? because they need players in the worst way, they have enough cap space to afford them, and won't find a Big Mo caliber talent at 32.  The Ferguson for Thomas swap is a way to make the deal swing slightly in our favor for getting "low" value for Mo. 

Archived