Connor Cook or a DL

varjet

Following the developments of today, I am having a stronger Connor Cook feeling for the Jets.

I think the biggest obstacle to being a successful QB in the NFL is the mental aspect.  That is why many physical specimens fail, and Fitz is still playing.  I think Connor Cook has shown he can play in an NFL system.  Lynch will likely be gone when the Jets pick, and Cook will not be there when the Jets pick at 51.  Lynch is also a developmental QB.

The OLB and OTs will also be gone.  

That is just my gut.

2 minutes ago, varjet said:

Following the developments of today, I am having a stronger Connor Cook feeling for the Jets.

I think the biggest obstacle to being a successful QB in the NFL is the mental aspect.  That is why many physical specimens fail, and Fitz is still playing.  I think Connor Cook has shown he can play in an NFL system.  Lynch will likely be gone when the Jets pick, and Cook will not be there when the Jets pick at 51.  Lynch is also a developmental QB.

That is just my gut.

I'd prefer Cook than moving up and wreck our draft. 

Outside of a QB we need football players in general. Our biggest problem last season was special teams. We need football players, not just a QB. 

Connor Cook has the mental aspect down? His teammates didn't vote him a captain as a senior QB and one of the knocks on him is leadership when things aren't going right. Also what real improvement has he shown? I was looking for it when he came back this year and saw nothing

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

I'd prefer Cook than moving up and wreck our draft. 

Outside of a QB we need football players in general. Our biggest problem last season was special teams. We need football players, not just a QB. 

If we draft a QB who works out for the next decade give or take, I don't want to hear a peep about not maximizing our f***ing special teams selections back in the 2016 draft.

8 minutes ago, Joejet said:

This will sound crazy and open me up to ridicule but I think Cook will prove to be either the best or second best QB of this draft.

I don't think you're alone in that, just not the majority. I think that a lot of draft picks success is based on the team and system they end up in. Nature vs. Nurture, I think nurture is huge in the NFL, whereas there are some absolute athletic freaks that will succeed anywhere under any circumstance. 

If Cook goes to the right team he could be the best or 2nd best QB in this draft. I just don't think he'll ever be the QB that can carry a sh*tty team and win games on his own. 

52 minutes ago, varjet said:

That is just my gut.

Most reports say that outside of the top 15 picks, the next tier is about 75 players large and a total crapshoot. It's hard to definitively say that both the OLB and OT position groups will be "gone". If they are, it also suggests that position groups like CB might be pushed backward.

This draft is deep at DL, and so are the Jets. It would be stupid to use another 1st rounder on DL.

Connor Cook in round 2 - I'd be okay with it, but not thrilled - he has MAJOR accuracy concerns in the short/intermediate passing game... I've had enough of these inaccurate QBs to last me a lifetime. I'd feel much better if we took a project QB in the 3rd or 4th.

20 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

There's a name for those types of guys. I think they're called football players.

I should actually amend that. Even if he is good, half of Jetland will eventually demand that we package him and a draft pick to move up 9 spots in the 2019 draft.

1 hour ago, bassmaster2 said:

The Jets have so many needs , OL , LB outside, inside ,CB ,there is no need to take another QB early in the draft

Early??    Like seven years ago?  Wtf.  Fans are just nuts

btw, nothing matters if you don't have a QB.  Nothing. 

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 8:07 PM, Joe Jets fan said:

Early??    Like seven years ago?  Wtf.  Fans are just nuts

btw, nothing matters if you don't have a QB.  Nothing. 

lets take a QB every 1 round pick ,there only 2 QB in the draft , and you can win with a average QB

On 4/14/2016 at 10:05 PM, CrazyCarl40 said:

Never reach for a QB. Cook is a 3rd/4th rounder at best.

The more tape I see the more im believing that. I just looked at Christian Hackenberg, Connor Cook, Paxton Lynch and Kevin Hogan's tape today. 

Kevin Hogan looks like the 3rd best QB in this draft class if you ask me. Im going to go through Wentz and Goff again as well. 

On 4/14/2016 at 5:58 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Cook is one of those guys that I'm positive he'll be awesome if the Jets don't draft him and terrible if they do.

He'll be a pro bowl QB if some other team drafts him.  He'll end up working as a cook if we draft him.

On 4/14/2016 at 3:46 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

If we draft a QB who works out for the next decade give or take, I don't want to hear a peep about not maximizing our f***ing special teams selections back in the 2016 draft.

Nonsense.  I'll take one Reyna Thompson (or Steve Tasker) over two Tom Brady's any day of the week.

On April 14, 2016 at 6:43 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

I should actually amend that. Even if he is good, half of Jetland will eventually demand that we package him and a draft pick to move up 9 spots in the 2019 draft.

If the choice is between trading for top 50 value, and getting a comp pick of (present) 130-ish value, which we only get by steering clear of UFAs despite the additional cleared cap room...

It's a bit of an oversimplification to suggest the 2 choices are to either to keep him or to dump him for less than he's worth. Once it's determined the team can't reach an agreement with a player, the only thing that remains is whether we get more in return for losing him or whether we get less. 

We'd all want to get more than that in a trade, but if we take that then it means all 30 other teams either offered even less, or wouldn't offer anything at all. 

Archived