What position would you ....

Maxman

This is a bit of a theoretical thing. But let's take QB out of the mix because that is too obvious. Other than QB what position would you want the Jets to draft in the 1st round assuming they grabbed an immediate impact starter?

For me it would be pass rushing OLB. I am talking a perfect world scenario, the Jets are on the clock at 20 and they grab a guy that helps at the position you pick. Again, no QB because we all know about the issue there. :)

If you have some clairvoyance and you can know the player will be an impact player at that position then OLB is probably it for me as well. Having a solid pass rusher on the outside would enhance the value of our talent at DL. It's the best value-add although in a more realistic scenario I'd rather see us pick up offensive talent in the first round. So with that in mind I wouldn't feel bad about the same hypothetical drawing an OT or WR. WR isn't an urgent need right now but Marshall isn't that young and we don't know if Devin Smith will ever develop into a top WR. Having a third great WR on the field would take a lot of pressure off the QB and indirectly take a lot of pressure off the OL to allow the QB to make three quick reads and likely find somewhere for the ball to go.

You really have to look at your personal and evaluate what could happen with the 19 picks before you.  Obviously this draft has one of the best defensive lineman I have seen in a long time. Do we trade Mo and pick one of these guys and save a lot of money and get draft picks. So everything changes on your pick if you keep Mo. The most important positions in today's football is QB, WR, OT on offense and Shut down CB and a either hybrid DE/LB or rushing LB or DE in a 4/3 defense.

3 hours ago, Snell41 said:

Position doesn't matter. You take the best player. Period. Looking back could you ever possibly be happy we took a need OLB and left Ed Reed on the board? You draft the best player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is exactly what you do when you are the GM of the Jets and the commish asks you to hand the card in.

What we are doing here is discussing what position you would love to see the Jets address in the first round. There is a hall of famer available at every position other than QB. What position are you picking to improve this current Jets roster?

My heart says OLB but my gut says do what it takes to get a dominant offensive line. QB is the most important position in the game and you pay out the yazoo for a top QB so it seems to reason you protect the QB with the best available pieces you can accumulate. The Cowboys turned their franchise around the previous year by investing in their OL. Still, Romo got clobbered but that's not entirely the OL's fault.  They were able to run effectively and did an about face and went from pretenders to contenders. Our OL is OLD and desperately needs a face lift. We have decent sub par depth but besides Carpentet, we are on the edge of mediocrity and need an influx of young, quality behemoths to man the trenches. Mangold is near the end, this could be his last year in green. Giacomo, if not cut, will be gone surely next year. Winters is a back up at best as well as the others who have never really factored in. Clady is an accident waiting to happen. Major holes to fill - ROT, LOT, C, G, QB, ILB, OLB,CB. We have 4 quality picks. Make em count Mac. This is an urgent draft. 

Offensive Tackle and it isn't really close. The biggest weakness on the team by some distance assuming Fitz is all but signed. Clady is a big upgrade but Breno is a liability, in every facet of the game.

Fitzpatrick can take all the sh*t in the world on here, but between him and Gailey we managed to put together a productive offence with two turnstiles either side of the QB. That's f*cking impressive.

Hilariously a lot of the guys who picked up on this still give Fitz stick at every opportunity. Yes Sperm, I'm looking at you. No sh*t he didn't go through his reads when he had like 3 seconds before being crushed. He was often running for his life but unlike Geno he actually ran in the right direction. 

Would help the running game too which we're going to need, assuming the guy can play. Tunsil and Stanley will be gone, pretty certain Conklin will be too. The most likely guy will be Taylor Decker, who I really like. 

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

This is a bit of a theoretical thing. But let's take QB out of the mix because that is too obvious. Other than QB what position would you want the Jets to draft in the 1st round assuming they grabbed an immediate impact starter?

For me it would be pass rushing OLB. I am talking a perfect world scenario, the Jets are on the clock at 20 and they grab a guy that helps at the position you pick. Again, no QB because we all know about the issue there. :)

Yup. An edge rusher, thank you.  Have want done of those for three years.

1 - OT - Decker or Conklin - not as sure with Spriggs or Ifedi but it seems like the OT options fall off a cliff after that, grab one while you can

2 - WR - when Zeke was a possibility at 20 and before we signed Forte I would have said RB but the WR crowd has good reasoning for the impact of another WR 

3 - LB - only reason this is #3 in my view is there will be great options in the second and maybe third rounds who can help the Jets on opening day

9 hours ago, Maxman said:

Jets have spent a ton of time with Noah Spence .....If they don't trade up he would likely be who they are targeting at 20 assuming lynch is gone. 

3 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Offensive Tackle and it isn't really close. The biggest weakness on the team by some distance assuming Fitz is all but signed. Clady is a big upgrade but Breno is a liability, in every facet of the game.

Fitzpatrick can take all the sh*t in the world on here, but between him and Gailey we managed to put together a productive offence with two turnstiles either side of the QB. That's f*cking impressive.

Hilariously a lot of the guys who picked up on this still give Fitz stick at every opportunity. Yes Sperm, I'm looking at you. No sh*t he didn't go through his reads when he had like 3 seconds before being crushed. He was often running for his life but unlike Geno he actually ran in the right direction. 

Would help the running game too which we're going to need, assuming the guy can play. Tunsil and Stanley will be gone, pretty certain Conklin will be too. The most likely guy will be Taylor Decker, who I really like. 

Oh please. He didn't even when he had as much time as he needed. Not downfield, anyway. You're making it sound like QBing for the 2015 Jets was among the more woeful QB situations in the league, which no one seriously believes. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick's progressions go like this:

initial downfield target >> checkdown RB >> run

If he has enough time to stare down his initial downfield target - which he does constantly - then he has enough time to look at another target. Instead he gets passes batted and throws into double/triple coverage downfield. 

Back on topic, I'd be ok with OT but only if it's someone who can switch to LT at some point. RT isn't necessarily a waste of a 1st round pick, but it's poor economics. A RT can be had in FA every offseason for under $10M. A guard even more so. A relentless pass rusher cannot. A franchise QB cannot. A CB can, but if they're availability it's because the money is ridiculous. 

10 hours ago, Maxman said:

OT but unfortunately I don't think Taylor Decker makes it past Indy

QB aside, I am thinking OT or edge rusher. Edge rusher for obvious reasons, the Jets currently do not have one. OT for a variety of very good reasons, safety of the pick, OT immediately plays at RT and allows us to cut Giacomini and save money under he cap, can be slid over to LT after 2016.

49 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Oh please. He didn't even when he had as much time as he needed. Not downfield, anyway. You're making it sound like QBing for the 2015 Jets was among the more woeful QB situations in the league, which no one seriously believes. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick's progressions go like this:

initial downfield target >> checkdown RB >> run

If he has enough time to stare down his initial downfield target - which he does constantly - then he has enough time to look at another target. Instead he gets passes batted and throws into double/triple coverage downfield. 

Back on topic, I'd be ok with OT but only if it's someone who can switch to LT at some point. RT isn't necessarily a waste of a 1st round pick, but it's poor economics. A RT can be had in FA every offseason for under $10M. A guard even more so. A relentless pass rusher cannot. A franchise QB cannot. A CB can, but if they're availability it's because the money is ridiculous. 

It was closer to being among the worse than among the best. I swear you guys act like Marshall threw those TD’s to himself.

The Jets pocket collapsed on about 60% of passing plays – We were in the top 10 in terms of pressure allowed on the QB and yet gave up the 2nd fewest sacks – It was significantly worse than what even Geno had to deal with the previous season. Fitzpatrick’s poise in the pocket and ability to get rid of the ball quickly, as well as Gailey’s ability to design plays around the awful line, were what allowed us to function. Just watch Fitz’s highlight reel of the season – On about half the plays guys are just blasting by our tackles, Fitzpatrick adjusts and makes the plays (and they’re the GOOD plays. It’s the kind of pressure which destroyed Geno and the kind that would probably destroy Petty or Lynch . You’re inevitably going to lock into targets when you are being forced to get rid of the ball quickly nearly all of time, even when you have time you’re not going to be accustomed to it.

Clady isn’t a long term option at LT anyways and may not even be in the short term if his recent injury record holds up – We desperately need some talent in that position, regardless of side. I think all these top prospects are LT’s but are being projected to play RT for a season or two, which seems to be the new trend when drafting tackles.

14 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

It was closer to being among the worse than among the best. I swear you guys act like Marshall threw those TD’s to himself.

The Jets pocket collapsed on about 60% of passing plays – We were in the top 10 in terms of pressure allowed on the QB and yet gave up the 2nd fewest sacks – It was significantly worse than what even Geno had to deal with the previous season. Fitzpatrick’s poise in the pocket and ability to get rid of the ball quickly, as well as Gailey’s ability to design plays around the awful line, were what allowed us to function. Just watch Fitz’s highlight reel of the season – On about half the plays guys are just blasting by our tackles, Fitzpatrick adjusts and makes the plays (and they’re the GOOD plays. It’s the kind of pressure which destroyed Geno and the kind that would probably destroy Petty or Lynch . You’re inevitably going to lock into targets when you are being forced to get rid of the ball quickly nearly all of time, even when you have time you’re not going to be accustomed to it.

Clady isn’t a long term option at LT anyways and may not even be in the short term if his recent injury record holds up – We desperately need some talent in that position, regardless of side. I think all these top prospects are LT’s but are being projected to play RT for a season or two, which seems to be the new trend when drafting tackles.

They are saying Decker will be a career RT and doesn't have the footwork or athleticism for LT, Conklin may be as well or even moved guard.  Same for Ifedi; possibility to OG.  Tunsil, Stanley and Spriggs seem to be the most likely long-term LTs.

33 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Spot on. Just go back and watch this- Geno has no internal clock at all...

Archived