KRL

All of this Jace Amaro bashing!!!  Do people even realize he DIDN'T PLAY
ONE GAME LAST YEAR???  He got hurt in training camp and never made it to
the pre-season schedule.  He's played one year under a HC who had no plan
for his offense and a OC who would run two QB double reverses from the 
one yard line.  Can we see him play at least one game under an OC who
knows what he's doing before we say he's a bust???  He did catch over
100 balls in a spread offense in college, don't you think Gailey can
use that kind of talent in combination with Marshall & Decker???

All true, but can't completely ignore his horrible drop rate.

way too early to say what he'll become and silly to bash him, but there's legit reason for concern.

He obviously did something to alienate the coaching staff last year.   He still has a lot to learn.  So he had a decent first year and a red shirt second year with a negative vibe, so the jury is still out.

I would consider him a mystery.  Given the team's other needs and the way they use tight ends, the draft will tell what his ultimate use is.

If they draft a TE relatively high, that is not a good sign.

If there is any negative noise regarding him in OTAs or minicamp, that is not a good sign.

If they trade him on draft day, that is not a good sign.

But we just don't know now.

Amaro certainly still needs to prove himself, and I don't think the Jets can assume he'll be any sort of significant factor this year and allow it to influence any other decisions they make, but I agree it's also too soon to completely write him off.

The truth is that the position he plays would be the one that was played last year by Enunwa and frankly, there's legitimate reason to believe that Amaro could outperform Enunwa in that position.  Consider that, despite the surprising amount of praise Enunwa received last year, he contributed less while doing just as poorly in the drops department in his second year, as Amaro did in his rookie year.

9 minutes ago, KRL said:

Gailey wants  guy who can block to be the slot/H-back.  Amaro can't block worth squat.  He also has incredibly small hands causing a lot of drops, and honestly he doesn't run very tough.  He was in the doghouse pretty much from day 1, listed on depth charts behind truck drivers.  His injury was not one to cause a full season IR type of move IMO for a TE.  My opinion is McCags didn't have him rated very highly on HOU's board, and the coaching staff didn't think much of him when they saw him in training camp.  Personally I have zero expectation of the guy.  If he gets cut so be it. 

I agree with varjet, he seemed to be in the dog house even before he got hurt last year.  Not sure why.  He showed enough to me to be considered a good prospect in his rookie year.  I just hope he is not thrown away without getting another chance.

1 minute ago, Bleedin Green said:

Amaro certainly still needs to prove himself, and I don't think the Jets can assume he'll be any sort of significant factor this year and allow it to influence any other decisions they make, but I agree it's also too soon to completely write him off.

The truth is that the position he plays would be the one that was played last year by Enunwa and frankly, there's legitimate reason to believe that Amaro could outperform Enunwa in that position.  Consider that, despite the surprising amount of praise Enunwa received last year, he contributed less while doing just as poorly in the drops department in his second year, as Amaro did in his rookie year.

True, but Enunwa can block.  Amaro can't, and I think that's what put him in the doghouse.  My personal opinion is Amaro just isn't football tough. 

Maybe I just haven't looked at the right threads but I haven't seen any Amaro bashing. But I might not be reading closely. 

I will say I was actually impressed with Amaro his first season. Yeah sure he dropped a lot and can't really block but there's a lot to like from this guy. 

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I agree with varjet, he seemed to be in the dog house even before he got hurt last year.  Not sure why.  He showed enough to me to be considered a good prospect in his rookie year.  I just hope he is not thrown away without getting another chance.

Yeah I forgot about that. Was buried in the depth chart. We'll see 

If the coaching staff doesn't like Amaro because of his poor blocking abilities they should either label him a wide receiver and give him a chance or package him up and trade him to the Saints who im sure would love a pass catching tight end.

27 minutes ago, KRL said:

You love telling us who we cant bash.

Care to tell us who we can bash?

I need to bash.

9 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

If the coaching staff doesn't like Amaro because of his poor blocking abilities they should either label him a wide receiver and give him a chance or package him up and trade him to the Saints who im sure would love a pass catching tight end.

Trade, yes.  WR?  Again, Gailey likes his inside receivers to be capable of blocking.  Unless you're considering putting Amaro on the outside and moving Marshall or Decker to the slot.  My opinion, Amaro is not good enough or fast enough to match up on the outside.  You look at a guy like Gronk, he's tough as nails.  Even Jimmy Graham who isn't really a bruiser like Gronk is still a tough receiver.  Amaro just doesn't come across that way to me.  He reminds me of Becht without the blocking ability.  Poor hands, and goes down like a sack of potatoes on first contact.  Personally I just think this was yet another miss in our long storied history of misses, especially in the 2nd round. 

14 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Trade, yes.  WR?  Again, Gailey likes his inside receivers to be capable of blocking.  Unless you're considering putting Amaro on the outside and moving Marshall or Decker to the slot.  My opinion, Amaro is not good enough or fast enough to match up on the outside.  You look at a guy like Gronk, he's tough as nails.  Even Jimmy Graham who isn't really a bruiser like Gronk is still a tough receiver.  Amaro just doesn't come across that way to me.  He reminds me of Becht without the blocking ability.  Poor hands, and goes down like a sack of potatoes on first contact.  Personally I just think this was yet another miss in our long storied history of misses, especially in the 2nd round. 

Im not ready to write Amaro off as a miss. I think he is talented and would thrive in the right system (ours might not be the right one). Comparing him to Gronk is ridiculous the two players have nothing in common except the TE label. Graham was good in the right system with the right QB, he didn't look like an elite TE for the seahawks but I think if you put Amaro in a role similar to what Graham played for the Saints he would at the very least be a serviceable player, you just cant try to force him into being a player that he is not.

1 minute ago, bealeb319 said:

Im not ready to write Amaro off as a miss. I think he is talented and would thrive in the right system (ours might not be the right one). Comparing him to Gronk is ridiculous the two players have nothing in common except the TE label. Graham was good in the right system with the right QB, he didn't look like an elite TE for the seahawks but I think if you put Amaro in a role similar to what Graham played for the Saints he would at the very least be a serviceable player, you just cant try to force him into being a player that he is not.

You also can't force the offense into something that services him if he's not showing the coaches that he truly is worth the change. 

8 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

You also can't force the offense into something that services him if he's not showing the coaches that he truly is worth the change. 

I agree. If the coaching staff doesn't want him then trade him. I also think Kerley was a decent player, I would have used him more than Enunwa last season but the coaching staff didn't like his skillset and they moved on. no point in keeping someone on the roster and taking up a slot of you don't want to use the player. Amaro has to hold some trade value.

25 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

True, but Enunwa can block.  Amaro can't, and I think that's what put him in the doghouse.  My personal opinion is Amaro just isn't football tough. 

IMO everyone who isn't on the OL can block. It's a mental state. A player decides how willing he is to block, and how hard he's going to work on doing a good job of it. TEs who are terrible blockers are either just lazy (in that regard), or they just see that job as being beneath them IMO. I'm sure Graham could be a better blocker than he is (considering he is a poor blocker). I don't think it's important to him, especially when his bigger concern/cause is being seen as more of a WR than TE anyway. But there's no reason a man his size - or Amaro's - arguably blocks worse than Bilal Powell, who he outweighs by some 60 lbs, let alone Enunwa who he still outweighs by 40 lbs.

It's why lots of us have a soft spot for non-OLmen who are good+willing blockers (Enunwa, Powell, Braylon, etc.). There's the insinuation - probably a correct one - that it's a matter of how much effort they're willing to give. Why should Powell be a noticeably superior blocker to Chris Ivory? Answer is he shouldn't.

Amaro may never be as good a blocker as Becht (let alone Brady, who was just a massive goon anyway), but he can - and should - be a lot better than he's been.

58 minutes ago, KRL said:

Dude, you're basically asking Jets fans to stop being Jets fans. Even im starting to learn my lesson with that lol.

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Quite honestly? No. We do have his rookie year to support our opinions of what we have in Amaro. What we had was a guy with below average hands and couldn't block his way out of a wet paper bag. It at times looked like he was dropping more passes than he ever caught. That's an exaggeration, obviously, but when you watch a guy drop so many passes it does tend to wear on you? I can see no earthly use Chan Gailey would have for him? I'd imagine Mac wants a real TE. A guy that can block and catch the ball consistently.

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Cmon KRL you know the drill by now. If he comes along slow or gets hurt he's an automatic bust. If he lights it up early in his career he's a 1st ballot HOF. No in-between with this twisted fanbase

Couldn't agree more the OP...

Amaro was solid his first year...he was a rookie playing with, what most people here believe is, the worst QB in the NFL...in an offense with zero weapons...Yet he managed to out perform the great Quincy Enunwa....

and really..the small hands stuff need to stop..his hands aren't too small to catch, it's ridiculous.  He's going to be very productive when he's healthy.

I agree with the OP, I would love to see what Amaro can do.. but I think the most telling sign on Amaro's future is that he was running with the third team during training camp before getting hurt if I remember correctly. He may not get his shot, but we will see.

Amaro is talented, and I hope he gets a shot to prove himself this year.  It seems like once you are in the dog house with this coaching staff, it's very tough to get out.  Just ask Jeremy Kerley.

Amaro had his fair share of drops during his rookie season, but he was also routinely gaining separation and running free in the secondary.  Geno simply couldn't hit him more often than not.

Tight end is historically a very tough position to excel in as a rookie in the NFL.  I thought Amaro looked very promising all things considered.

I agree. The small hands stuff is bunk. I mean, yeah, having big mitts helps to catch the ball. But that doesn't mean a WR or TE with small hands CAN'T catch. Amaro caught an insane amount of balls for a TE in college (over 100). How can you possibly say he cannot catch? What, b/c he had some drops? Some of it has to be mental- on the big stage, as a rookie. You can get over that. 

Also, this notion that he doesn't run hard and is not tough is COMPLETE BUNK. Coming out of college he was known as a great route runner with good hands and the ability to run after the catch. Not the best athlete but a guy with awareness for where the chains are and who fights for extra yards.

Here's him running over a DB- near the sideline, no less. Enjoy. If it were a LB, you could argue he is being reckless. And yes, I'm sure you can find clips where he goes out of bounds, etc. But the fact is, guys who avoid contact SIMPLY DON'T DO THIS.  

https://media.giphy.com/media/xThuWpcR1cWkbCyOSQ/giphy.gif

Yes, Amaro struggles blocking. But he has clearly stated that blocking is something he wants to work on in the offseason (this was before the injury) and improve. He is willing to get better in that department. He probably HAS gotten much better at it.

So enough. Give the kid a chance. Let him get healthy and get some opportunities THIS SEASON. The Jets should not trade him or move him to WR. Instead, they shoudl utilize him more and give him more opportunities. 

7 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

He may have a tough time this year. I thought Enunwa was starting to figure things out a bit better towards the end of last season...

Enunwa is far from a proven factor.  If Amaro cannot beat him out, then clearly the CS is not high on Amaro.

His rookie season gives his skeptics plenty of reason to be concerned.

9 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

Was there a recent run of criticism about Amaro or is this just stirring a pot that didn't need stirring?

Imo it's probably an issue left over from last year with the low production from TE so glaring.  Cumberland is as expected gone.  What is the plan going forward?

The loss of both Amaro and before him Sudfeld were due to injuries after camp started, so it was not the plan to go as they did last season.  Some speculated that Gailey was fine with very limited pass production from the TE position.  With Cumberland now gone, will the Jets be satisfied having Amaro come back and see what he can add?  Or do they (as most teams would) seek help at TE?

That's what it's about.

Archived