The Wilkerson in the room...

SenorGato

So what happens now? Obviously this perilous situation largely falls on Maccagnan's inability to properly value Wilkerson and inability to deal, but we must not stop to bicker. How do the Jets unburden themselves of Wilkerson and his outrageous demands? The obvious thing to do is cut him and move on, no? With that cap space we're potentially talking so many FAs. The Jets have Sheldon Richardson, a man honorable enough to expose Wilkerson and let the world know the kind of demands Wilkerson had. They drafted Leonard Williams, who just might be Wilkerson all over again in a few years. They are loaded along the defensive line this year with those two guys, Wilkerson's basically already been replaced. Do they rescind the tag ala the Panthers and Josh Norman? ESPN seemed to talk way more about Norman than Wilkerson last year and his team went to the Super Bowl. So are you saying Wilkerson is better than Josh Norman? Do they wilt under pressure and cave into Wilkerson's Demands, said to be the demandingest demands that ever demanded? Do they trade him for hopefully a late 2017 pick? Problem with that I think is we've seen that the NFL is full up on Wilkersons, no one wants him especially considering the level of demands being demanded by Wilkerson. Do they ask him to retire? Do/Should they "force" his "retirement," if you catch my drift? Maybe he's driving through the Jones Beach Causeway one night....?

Anyway, something has to be done and your guess is as good as mine.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

They may well just let him walk after 2016.  Maybe they get a good comp pick?

Kinda have to hope so at this point, no?

Just now, Joe Jets fan said:

Guess 31 other GMs did not want to pay Mo his rediculous demands ether.  Let him play on the tag.    

Rediculous is probably on the nicer end of it too. A source no less than Sheldon Richardson himself said at least Suh money...It's like nobody told this guy he's not JJ Watt.

Just now, jetsons said:

I personally hope they work out a deal & make Wilk a Jet for Life... but BOTH sides have to compromise.

This situation is dripping with bad blood. Inside sources have confirmed. Compromise seems unlikely with that news.

Mac ****ed this up but I also begged for Idzik to do the deal on team friendly terms when we had leverage and it was obvious he wasn't going to spend money otherwise. Now we just let him play and take the comp pick cause nobody is giving us anything better. It is what it is,

Just now, SenorGato said:

This situation is dripping with bad blood. Inside sources have confirmed. Compromise seems unlikely with that news.

I agree, but that's now... who knows what can happen in 6 mos... Hopefully they're able to find a middle ground & agree on a long term palatable resolution.

Umm, Wilk is due nearly $16m next year, so I think we can hold off on the care packages many of you are ready to send him. As has been stated before, we will be a good salary cap situation in '17, and if it's worth it, sign Wilk to a long term deal.

2 hours ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Guess 31 other GMs did not want to pay Mo his rediculous demands ether.  Let him play on the tag.    

Oh 31 other GMs would love to have him given the cap space. They just don't wanna give up a 1st in the process. i can't believe someone actually said we should trade him for a late 2017 pick or release him outright. 

We will get a 3rd because of the contract he will garner. Since Macc will look stupid, and lose face, we will carry him one more year on the tag. If someone offers a 2nd in 2017 he may get traded?

Its been handed badly, we have a ton of cap coming, in the mean time we are back to having a Stella 3-4 D-line less Snacks.

I also think the move up for Shell pick, was motivated in part with trying to cut Breno to clear some more cap later.

1 hour ago, BurnleyJet said:

We will get a 3rd because of the contract he will garner. Since Macc will look stupid, and lose face, we will carry him one more year on the tag. If someone offers a 2nd in 2017 he may get traded?

Its been handed badly, we have a ton of cap coming, in the mean time we are back to having a Stella 3-4 D-line less Snacks.

I also think the move up for Shell pick, was motivated in part with trying to cut Breno to clear some more cap later.

Most likely the Jets aren't getting a third back in the form of compensation for Wilkerson in 2018.  ( reason the Jets will have a lot more to play with in Fa in 2017 , and will sign more players than they lose).

Jmo moving up for Shell  had no bearing on Breno this year.    He isn't ready to step up into the starting lineup.  Brandon Shell was a longterm plan, and investment in the offense line.( going to need some time to develop ).

5 hours ago, Freemanm said:

Umm, Wilk is due nearly $16m next year, so I think we can hold off on the care packages many of you are ready to send him. As has been stated before, we will be a good salary cap situation in '17, and if it's worth it, sign Wilk to a long term deal.

^

This guy gets it.

Resigning him is the best value at this point and it's not particularly close.

We've been trying all this time to find a franchise QB when what we should be focusing on is eliminating the rest of them.

Why exactly? Resigning him is not going to save much or any money this year. He's looking for a deal that pays 16m a year anyway. Keep him on the tag, see how he fares.

54 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Why exactly? Resigning him is not going to save much or any money this year. He's looking for a deal that pays 16m a year anyway. Keep him on the tag, see how he fares.

I mean instead of letting him walk eventually. I don't care when we sign him so long as we do.

I've been hoping that we'd wait and see all along. Let the line prove their worth.

The sad fact is that you cannot afford to have BOTH a Revis and a Wilkerson on the same team.  Given a straight choice we probably ended up with the wrong one but then Revis always did time his bank heists very well.

44 minutes ago, EM31 said:

The sad fact is that you cannot afford to have BOTH a Revis and a Wilkerson on the same team.  Given a straight choice we probably ended up with the wrong one but then Revis always did time his bank heists very well.

Sure we can.  Revis' cap number drops to $15.3M in 2017 and then becomes a guy we can cut very easily after that season, if we so choose.

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sure we can.  Revis' cap number drops to $15.3M in 2017 and then becomes a guy we can cut very easily after that season, if we so choose.

You cannot concentrate 25% of your entire salary cap into two players, one of whom is in noticeable decline and neither of whom plays the QB position. 

1 minute ago, EM31 said:

You cannot concentrate 25% of your entire salary cap into two players, one of whom is in noticeable decline and neither of whom plays the QB position. 

You can when the cap is going up and one of those 2 guys will be coming off the books.  It's not like we have a QB we need to pay.  We have Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg, both on their rookie deals.  And I don't see a Drew Brees type ever signing here.

Mo Wilk is going to have a monster year in a Jets uniform.  He's going to have 15+ sacks.  They will be the most important sacks ever made, all at the most important times of each game and those sacks, will completely change the course of history.

jets chose numerous times not to extend him starting with our last gm-I suspect Mo is not happy how things have transpired and will be a cancer to the team-he should have been signed to an extension or moved.  I dont think Mo is worth JJ money but at the same time he is a player that we should have taken care of before it got this far

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You can when the cap is going up and one of those 2 guys will be coming off the books.  It's not like we have a QB we need to pay.  We have Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg, both on their rookie deals.  And I don't see a Drew Brees type ever signing here.

Don't get me wrong I think Mo is a really, really good player but I do not think he is the kind of difference-maker who should command that kind of money.  He is a better version of Shaun Ellis and not a JJ Watt or Von Miller type talent. 

Sometimes people just price themselves out of the market and that is what has happened here.   Mo simply is not worth the kind of money that he purportedly looking for.  And he is certainly not worth that kind of money to us.  Neither was Revis for that matter when we signed him to his current deal.  Finally, we have a front office who has their first year in the books  and who seem to have some degree of sanity when it comes to total team salary cap.

Paying superstar money to marginal superstars (at best) on a team which has so many other weaknesses across the board is a recipe for never filling those weaknesses.  We have been down that road for the last 30 years.

16 minutes ago, EM31 said:

Which is why you get rid of Revis.

Mo is absolutely a player you invest in. 

27 minutes ago, JiF said:

Mo Wilk is going to have a monster year in a Jets uniform.  He's going to have 15+ sacks.  They will be the most important sacks ever made, all at the most important times of each game and those sacks, will completely change the course of history.

Mo will, and I have no doubt about this whatsoever, have a profound influence this fall on the outcome of the presidential election.  Oh wait.... no politics.

10 hours ago, SayNoToDMC said:

Mac ****ed this up but I also begged for Idzik to do the deal on team friendly terms when we had leverage and it was obvious he wasn't going to spend money otherwise. Now we just let him play and take the comp pick cause nobody is giving us anything better. It is what it is,

What makes you think Mac could have signed him for less than he is demanding now?  Do you know what he wanted last year?  The Watt money and the Suh money was already paid.

Archived