Buzz: Jets Players Have 'Major' Concerns with Current QB Depth Chart

12 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Things work out if Fitz comes back, he mentors the kids, and one of them takes the job from him after mid-season or no later than next season.  Otherwise, it's Geno acting as "mentor" to Petty and Hack.

I'm not too concerned about the mentoring thing, but I'd rather have fitz since he's built up some goodwill here so the jets will have less pressure to throw the kids out there before they are ready. If geno starts and the season starts off badly, things will get ugly very fast

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AFJF said:

I dunno...I guess Mac is gonna' pull that offer off the table then, huh?  Odd since he's still saying they want Fitz back and he's their top priority.  This dude clearly has no idea what he's doing.  He's gonna' go over the salary cap to sign a QB who isn't worth signing at vet minimum.  FireMikeyMac.com.

The NFL should make some kind of rule where contracts can be re-worked.

Who needs reworked contracts?  I heard Mac has declared the Jets exempt from the salary cap and he plans to sign whoever he pleases.  Yep.  Thats the way to do it.

7 hours ago, cant wait said:

I'm not too concerned about the mentoring thing, but I'd rather have fitz since he's built up some goodwill here so the jets will have less pressure to throw the kids out there before they are ready. If geno starts and the season starts off badly, things will get ugly very fast

Anyone that doesn't want Fitz back either wants to blow the season for draft picks, or has a very selective memory. No Fitz is not great but he is a genuine NFL QB and we've gone the better part of a decade without one. It was nice to see. 

There is no reason to sign Fitz right now however. We have no idea how good Petty or Hackenberg will be until we see them play. Hell Geno may even have had some sense knocked into him. Weirder things have happened. 

The more time we wait the more Fitz will want to get his ass into camp. It wasn't just the fans, and the players that had fun last year. Fitz had a ball playing with this team. I think he wants to be respected. If he wants that he'll have to take the next step. Sign a 2 year backloaded deal. Bet on yourself Fitz. 

2 year deal 24 mil.  4 mil signing bonus.   4mil this year  16 mil next year  

15 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Those players should step  up and offer a pay cut to sign Fitz.

My thoughts exactly. This is what pisses me off you bitch about our QB depth but you dont do sh*t to help your team sign him by restructuring your contract. if your not willing to do that than STFU.

16 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

My thoughts exactly. This is what pisses me off you bitch about our QB depth but you dont do sh*t to help your team sign him by restructuring your contract. if your not willing to do that than STFU.

What players have been asked to restructure and refused? Do you know of any for sure? They won't ask players to re-do deals until Fitz is coming on board. It doesn't make sense to change contracts until absolutely necessary. 

16 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

What players have been asked to restructure and refused? Do you know of any for sure? They won't ask players to re-do deals until Fitz is coming on board. It doesn't make sense to change contracts until absolutely necessary. 

A million times this.

Mac will get this done and the players will do what needs to be done. 

Fitz will be a Jet in 2016. 

Why would any NFL player give up their own money so the team can sign another player?

17 hours ago, flgreen said:

But they're not squawking about the Jets trying so hard to  get Fitz signed, they're complaining about the guy at the top of the Jets "current" QB chart.

Strange .  Have a feeling they are all vets who have played with smith before

It's very telling isn't it?

I think what everyone is missing is the following:

1) Besides a few obstinate dingbats, everyone knows that the Jets are best suited with Fitz being the QB. Everyone knows Geno sucks as a QB and as a person. That's COMMON SENSE.

2) Even with Fitz as the QB, all Jets fans need to realize this team isn't going anywhere fast. More than likely they are not making the playoffs. This team has a MUCH harder schedule than last season and the front office did NOT do enough to even so much as make this team better. If anything, all they did was "tread water". In other words, assuming the same schedule as last season they would go 10-6 again. In other words, they managed to keep the team as good as it was last season, but still not good enough to improve or build on a 10 win season. NOT good enough to win the SB. Apparently, this front office is happy with maintaining the status quo. I am not. I will never be. This is why I am beginning to think Woody should clean house. Mac and Bowles are not trying to get better, they are trying to be 10-6 again and they won't even come close to that in 2016.

^

Being scared of the schedule based on the record of last year's teams is something you don't want to overdo.  Despite the 10-6 record in 15 being better than expected, there were losses that the Jets could/should have won, including the last game most obviously.  I am hardly an optimist, but to assume the Jets in 16 are going to suck no matter who the Qb is is just plain silly.

But you are right about Smith.  He sucks.

2 hours ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

In all fairness, I don't know ANYONE in the real world who would restructure their contract or adjust their salary in order to keep one of their co-workers on their team, so why should football players, or any athlete for that matter, be any different.  Let the football players play ball and let the front office worry about the contracts. Just my two cents.

1 hour ago, Mainejet said:

I think what everyone is missing is the following:

1) Besides a few obstinate dingbats, everyone knows that the Jets are best suited with Fitz being the QB. Everyone knows Geno sucks as a QB and as a person. That's COMMON SENSE.

2) Even with Fitz as the QB, all Jets fans need to realize this team isn't going anywhere fast. More than likely they are not making the playoffs. This team has a MUCH harder schedule than last season and the front office did NOT do enough to even so much as make this team better. If anything, all they did was "tread water". In other words, assuming the same schedule as last season they would go 10-6 again. In other words, they managed to keep the team as good as it was last season, but still not good enough to improve or build on a 10 win season. NOT good enough to win the SB. Apparently, this front office is happy with maintaining the status quo. I am not. I will never be. This is why I am beginning to think Woody should clean house. Mac and Bowles are not trying to get better, they are trying to be 10-6 again and they won't even come close to that in 2016.

Sorry MJ, I just can't agree with your 2nd premiss.    The Jets were very limited this off-season first with money, then with draft picks.  IMO they have done everything they can to improve with what was available.

Barring another injury Clady is an upgrade.  Forte is a very solid back, Carter is a nice addition, and I actually like Archer.  With the money they had, what better could they have done?

The draft is always argumentative.  But IMO they have added a few guys who are going to be an improvement on who they will replace.  Just have to wait and see with that.

Yes, the schedule was weaker last season , at least on paper, but I actually think this is a pretty good team.  

Keep in mind that Bowles was a rookie HC last year.  Like a rookie QB, he's going to make some mistakes.  Jets were 10-6.  They lost 2 games to the Bills.  Team was just flat, and uninspired in both games.  It's easier to blame it on one player, "Fitz sucked" but the truth is it has to fall on Bowles.  Rex had his team flying high, Jets were flat .  No excuse that shouldn't have happened.  Jets should have won at least one of those games, they were the better team.  The Raiders game, IMO once Fitz went down, the team sagged, and went flat.  Eagles game they just didn't seem prepared.  Coulda/ shoulda won  some of those games.

IMO some of it has to fall on Bowles.  He'll be in his second year, hopefully have learned some.  Jets win some of those games this year.

Depending on if they get Fitz signed, IMO the Jets are a good enough team to win 10 games if the chips fall right.  Paper schedule strength never seems to work out .

8 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Sorry MJ, I just can't agree with your 2nd premiss.    The Jets were very limited this off-season first with money, then with draft picks.  IMO they have done everything they can to improve with what was available.

Barring another injury Clady is an upgrade.  Forte is a very solid back, Carter is a nice addition, and I actually like Archer.  With the money they had, what better could they have done?

The draft is always argumentative.  But IMO they have added a few guys who are going to be an improvement on who they will replace.  Just have to wait and see with that.

Yes, the schedule was weaker last season , at least on paper, but I actually think this is a pretty good team.  

Keep in mind that Bowles was a rookie HC last year.  Like a rookie QB, he's going to make some mistakes.  Jets were 10-6.  They lost 2 games to the Bills.  Team was just flat, and uninspired in both games.  It's easier to blame it on one player, "Fitz sucked" but the truth is it has to fall on Bowles.  Rex had his team flying high, Jets were flat .  No excuse that shouldn't have happened.  Jets should have won at least one of those games, they were the better team.  The Raiders game, IMO once Fitz went down, the team sagged, and went flat.  Eagles game they just didn't seem prepared.  Coulda/ shoulda won a some of those games.

IMO some of it has to fall on Bowles.  He'll be in his second year, hopefully have learned some.  Jets win some of those games this year.

Depending on if they get Fitz signed, IMO the Jets are a good enough team to win 10 games if the chips fall right.  Paper schedule strength never seems to work out .

last year, the strength of schedule for the jets was #18 out of #32 before the season started. look how that turned out. ya, the schedule looks rough for the 1st 6 games or so., but then it evens out. the jets are in good shape if they make it thru 6 weeks at 3-3

17 hours ago, GoingToMyGraveGreen said:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2637625-insider-buzz-jets-players-have-major-concerns-with-current-qb-depth-chart

My guess on the three Jet players:

Mangold

Decker

Marshall

Or if I'm trying to be sarcastic: Smith, Petty and Hackenberg

Good to see that the players don't want a meaningless year and want to go for a playoff spot...

First, I would like to acknowledge the possibility/probability that this is fabricated by someone.

That aside....is the article claiming that professional athletes are concerned that their current team's depth chart consists of Geno (2 years as close to or the worst statistical QB in the league....granted under challenging conditions and who surely has upside with his arm and legs and of course may turn it around...just haven't seen it yet though we'd all be pulling for the young man), Petty (former 4th rounder with no NFL playing experience) and Hack (2nd rounder with no NFL experience)?

Is the article really claiming that such a depth chart wouldn't excite and energize teammates hoping to succeed this year?

Profound!

I'm off to write an article claiming that Aaron Rodgers teammates are happy he's their QB.  Will be insightful editorial gold, baby!

I also am still thinking the Jets FO needs to explore the Sam Bradford option, if for nothing else to have a Plan B other than the putrid Smith if for whatever reason Fitzpatrick is not back.  Bradford still is on the Eagles, and it remains a problematic situation for Philly.  Bradford would be far better than Smith, and even if the Jets do not get him, pursuing him might increase leverage on Fitzpatrick and his agent.

Of course there is also the possibility the Jets are about to come to a deal with Fitzpatrick.  But if not, they need to continue looking at other options.

The main point about the OP here is that it underlines that the players do not want to sit around holding their puds waiting a couple of years for the FO to find a decent Qb, like some fans here think should be okay.  The players on the roster now want to win now.  And I think that is a good thing.  We would prefer they have a different attitude?  Of course not.

44 minutes ago, ylekram said:

last year, the strength of schedule for the jets was #18 out of #32 before the season started. look how that turned out. ya, the schedule looks rough for the 1st 6 games or so., but then it evens out. the jets are in good shape if they make it thru 6 weeks at 3-3

A lot here (who seem for the most part to be Smith Fans, so that tells you something) talk about what a weak schedule the Jets had last year, and see the won loss record from 2015 of 2016 scheduled opponents as reason to believe the 16 season is already lost.

But at this point last year, looking forward to the coming season, these scheduled opponents scheduled had the following records in 14:

Eagles - 10-6

Cowboys - 12-4

Colts - 11-5

Patriots - 12-4

Houston - 9-7

Buffalo - 9-7

Miami - 8-8

That means the Jets last year played 10 games against teams with 14 records that were .500 or better. 

How many games against teams .500 or better in 15 are on the Jets' schedule for 16?

The same number, 10. 

8 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

I also am still thinking the Jets FO needs to explore the Sam Bradford option, if for nothing else to have a Plan B other than the putrid Smith if for whatever reason Fitzpatrick is not back.  Bradford still is on the Eagles, and it remains a problematic situation for Philly.  Bradford would be far better than Smith, and even if the Jets do not get him, pursuing him might increase leverage on Fitzpatrick and his agent.

Of course there is also the possibility the Jets are about to come to a deal with Fitzpatrick.  But if not, they need to continue looking at other options.

The main point about the OP here is that it underlines that the players do not want to sit around holding their puds waiting a couple of years for the FO to find a decent Qb, like some fans here think should be okay.  The players on the roster now want to win now.  And I think that is a good thing.  We would prefer they have a different attitude?  Of course not.

Bradford and Fitz have the same agent, the one who created this $18M/year lunacy.

20 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

A lot here (who seem for the most part to be Smith Fans, so that tells you something) talk about what a weak schedule the Jets had last year, and see the won loss record from 2015 of 2016 scheduled opponents as reason to believe the 16 season is already lost.

But at this point last year, looking forward to the coming season, these scheduled opponents scheduled had the following records in 14:

Eagles - 10-6

Cowboys - 12-4

Colts - 11-5

Patriots - 12-4

Houston - 9-7

Buffalo - 9-7

Miami - 8-8

That means the Jets last year played 10 games against teams with 14 records that were .500 or better. 

How many games against teams .500 or better in 15 are on the Jets' schedule for 16?

The same number, 10. 

yea but its totally different this year ,somehow..i think:huh:

I think its funny how people claim that Fitzpatrick is guaranteed to regress somehow because of a preseason schedule based on last years performance

or Fitzpatrick has "peaked" like he is a 33 yo running back or corner

18 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

About 86 % of the time a team goes 10-6, they make the playoffs.

We were good enough to make the postseason under Fitzpatrick last season.  The team knows this. 

Truth is we weren't. The team was but not with Fitzpatrick. That's the whole point. We missed the playoffs BECAUSE of Fitz. 

The team knows this. Harvard didn't show up against the right teams and win the right games. 

Only when your QB is Fitzmagic can you win 10 games and go home with nothing.  

4 minutes ago, jetrider said:

Truth is we weren't. The team was but not with Fitzpatrick. That's the whole point. We missed the playoffs BECAUSE of Fitz. 

The team knows this. Harvard didn't show up against the right teams and win the right games. 

really? care to elaborate? please don't come with that weak sh*t that he threw 3 interceptions in the buffalo game. if so, go back and watch the plays again

4 minutes ago, jetrider said:

What a massive and ignorant re-writing of history this claim is.  

Just now, ylekram said:

really? care to elaborate? please don't come with that weak sh*t that he threw 3 interceptions in the buffalo game. if so, go back and watch the plays again

You go back and watch the entire game. Actually watch it this time.

Just now, ylekram said:

Did you see Fitz play in that6 game/debacle?  Not only were his decisions atrocious, but he looked like he'd never seen a football before.  Guy choked beyond all choking.  Almost like he was afraid to get into the playoffs.  Face it, Fitz is a scrub.

3 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Restructuring just means the team putting money off for the future.

As for taking a pay cut, why would they?  They signed a fair deal, then the GM blows money on some bad contracts for other players, and now you expect some to take a pay cut?  No one is doing that.

1 minute ago, jetrider said:

You go back and watch the entire game. Actually watch it this time.

saw it plenty. very inspired football being played by coaches on down. except for the bum Fitzpatrick. you got me there

10 minutes ago, jetrider said:

No not really.  The Jets missed the playoffs because they came out flat and unprepared TWICE, against the Bills.  A Division rival.  Both games were a loss by an uninspired TEAM

Archived