How many games will Geno Smith win as the Jets Starting QB in the 2016-2017 season, assuming Ryan Fitzpatrick does not return?

Terry

How many games will Geno Smith win as the Jets Starting QB in the 2016-2017 season, assuming Ryan Fitzpatrick does not return?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. How many games will Geno Smith win as the Jets Starting QB in the 2016-2017 season, assuming Ryan Fitzpatrick does not return?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Geno wins 6 - 10 games with brutal schedule, the first 7 games are the most brutal stretch I have ever scene any team have to open a seasonwith,  we need to win one of the first two games, or we are serioulsly screwed, seriously.  I think they bring Fitz back and he goes to Buffalo week 2, kind of scary.

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

How about putting your pride where your mouth is? You said that Geno would win only 4 games at his peak. I'll bet that if Geno does start this season that he'll have more than 4 wins. 

The wager? Changing our avatar's. If Geno wins more than 4 games you have to change your avatar picture to Geno Smith and above the pick state "owned by Geno". 

If Geno wins 4 or less games then you let me know what my avatar and message should be. Avatars must stay active until the end of the Superbowl. 

You talk alot of crap, lets make this bet then if you're that confident that the max the Jets can go with Geno is a 4-12 record. 

I didn't say he couldn't win more than 4 games. I am just talking as range. YOU are the one that's smoking crack with that 10-11 wins crappola. Geno Smith sucks a fat one and he always has. He's not only a terrible QB that does NOT, under any circumstances, elevate the play of his teammates (Like Fitz did in a few games last season), but he's also a f*cking douchebag that gets cold cocked for being a CS, pure and simple.

Second of all, there's NO way Mac allows Fitz to get away. NO way. Mac knows his reputation is riding on resigning Fitz. Unless he's some sort of idiot, that enjoys putting his job in serious jeopardy (and he's NOT), Fitz WILL be the starting QB of the NYJ. Better get used to that idea. And BTW, you're the one that talks all the sh*t on this site. Geno has been rated as the WORST starting QB every season he started and yet to continue to stroke the moron.

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

I think he is typing up a reply with a variety of different reasons why he doesn;t have to take this bet. I'm not a huge Geno fan, but I'm also not a huge Fitz fan. And both players have had a history that shows promise as well as reasons for doubt. Geno just happens to be the cheaper, younger option thats actually a NYJet and I think more fans shoudl support him as this is a great opportunity for him to step up. Whether or not he does, is an entirely different question- but we really don;t know until we see him play.  

I never said I was a Fitz fan? I just know he's the best solution for the NYJ this season. Fitz was always sh*t before last season. Geno is 100% sh*t. You do the math...

8 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

I didn't say he couldn't win more than 4 games. I am just talking as range. YOU are the one that's smoking crack with that 10-11 wins crappola. Geno Smith sucks a fat one and he always has. He's not only a terrible QB that does NOT, under any circumstances, elevate the play of his teammates (Like Fitz did in a few games last season), but he's also a f*cking douchebag that gets cold cocked for being a CS, pure and simple.

Second of all, there's NO way Mac allows Fitz to get away. NO way. Mac knows his reputation is riding on resigning Fitz. Unless he's some sort of idiot, that enjoys putting his job in serious jeopardy (and he's NOT), Fitz WILL be the starting QB of the NYJ. Better get used to that idea. And BTW, you're the one that talks all the sh*t on this site. Geno has been rated as the WORST starting QB every season he started and yet to continue to stroke the moron.

I dont know what your fascination is with drug dealers and crack, but I'll say this. You said that Geno could only win 4 games at his peak. Have you forgotten that quickly that I must quote you? 

Never mind all of this you're talking. Make the bet if you feel that confident. You say im smoking crack, well I say you're dodging the bet that I've put in front of you. Put up or shut up is the motto. If you think Geno can only win 4 games at his peak then Im here to challenge that opinion. 

Make the bet and stop trying to be cute with all the name calling and crack smoking. Put up or shut up. 

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

I really wanted to go with 9 or 10. But I'm gonna go with 8.

I really think if he gets the nod as starter, Geno is perfectly set up to succeed. I think he will play better than he ever has, which I guess is not saying much, but good enough to win games and be the starter all season. But b/c of the schedule and b/c it may take some time for Geno to develop chemistry with some of the new teammates (players he never actually led as a starting QB), I think he will end up winning 8 games as Jets starter and, alas, the Jets will miss the playoffs again and end up with selections somewhere in the middle of the draft (pick 14-18).  

He certainly is. It would be up to him to seize the opportunity and make a lot of people very wrong. It would also set him up to be out of excuses. But I'm sure there would be some here that would say the schedule was too hard, the offensive line wasn't good enough, receivers and running backs didn't bail him out enough. If he gets the job, it'll be his last chance here.

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

I dont know what your fascination is with drug dealers and crack, but I'll say this. You said that Geno could only win 4 games at his peak. Have you forgotten that quickly that I must quote you? 

Never mind all of this you're talking. Make the bet if you feel that confident. You say im smoking crack, well I say you're dodging the bet I've put in front of you. Put up or shut up is the motto. If you think Geno can only win 4 games at his peak then Im here to challenge that opinion. 

Make the bet and stop trying to be cute with the name calling and crack smoking. Put up or shut up. 

I know what I posted dingbat. I also know what you posted. This bet is pure fiction that will never happen, but if you insist, I will offer you a bet. I say Geno will win approximately 4 games if he starts 16 games, you say he will win 10 -11 games. So I bet you that Geno's win total (assuming he does start the season and he won't, but this just appeasing your butt hurt nature) is closer to 4 wins than your predicted total of 10? Does that give you what you want? You think you can shut me up, but all your doing is setting yourself up for failure. And we can do that change your avatar sh*t if that makes you feel better?

2 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

I know what I posted dingbat. I also know what you posted. This bet is pure fiction that will never happen, but if you insist, I will offer you a bet. I say Geno will win approximately 4 games if he starts 16 games, you say he will win 10 -11 games. So I bet you that Geno's win total (assuming he does start the season and he won't, but this just appeasing your butt hurt nature) is closer to 4 wins than your predicted total of 10? Does that give you what you want? You think you can shut me up, but all your doing is setting yourself up for failure. And we can do that change your avatar sh*t if that makes you feel better?

DUDE.....make the bet. 

5 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

I never said I was a Fitz fan? I just know he's the best solution for the NYJ this season. Fitz was always sh*t before last season. Geno is 100% sh*t. You do the math...

I never said you were a Fitz fan. I said I was not a huge Fitz fan. I don;t see him as anything special. I think he is a very good backup, who, on a good team with a system that plays to his strengths can be successful as a starter- which he proved last year. That doesn't mean the Jets should pony up the $$$ he is asking for. That doesn't mean Geno can't go out there and play just as well if not better.  

I think its ridiculous how much hate you have for Geno. I think its funny that you completely disregard his strengths and the awful way the Jets 'developed' him when he first came into the league. You make is sound like he's been in the league for 5-6 years and sucked every year, when the fact is he only played 2 seasons, his rookie and sophomore years...and did so while not really being ready for the NFL mentally, having no weapons around him, and constant coaching instability.

In fact, I believe one of the reasons Geno is still a Jet is b/c the new regime knows fully well how poorly the previous regime handled Geno Smith after drafting him. He should not have been thrown out as starter his rookie season. The Jets should have brought him up slowly, given him some stability at the O-coordinator position, and surrounded him with weapons. He came from a spread system and was not ready for the NFL his rookie year. It was also obvious he had some maturity issues- still a young man, he needed to grow to become a better leader.     

3 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I never said you were a Fitz fan. I said I was not a huge Fitz fan. I don;t see him as anything special. I think he is a very good backup, who, on a good team with a system that plays to his strengths can be successful as a starter- which he proved last year. That doesn't mean the Jets should pony up the $$$ he is asking for. That doesn't mean Geno can't go out there and play just as well if not better.  

I think its ridiculous how much hate you have for Geno. I think its funny that you completely disregard his strengths and the awful way the Jets 'developed' him when he first came into the league. You make is sound like he's been in the league for 5-6 years and sucked every year, when the fact is he only played 2 seasons, his rookie and sophomore years...and did so while not really being ready for the NFL mentally, having no weapons around him, and constant coaching instability.

In fact, I believe one of the reasons Geno is still a Jet is b/c the new regime knows fully well how poorly the previous regime handled Geno Smith after drafting him. He should not have been thrown out as starter his rookie season. The Jets should have brought him up slowly, given him some stability at the O-coordinator position, and surrounded him with weapons. He came from a spread system and was not ready for the NFL his rookie year. It was also obvious he had some maturity issues- still a young man, he needed to grow to become a better leader.     

Do me a favor PepPep, tell MaineJet to make the bet! lol. 

9 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

I ALREADY DID. ARE YOU GAME?????????????

Im game. 7 wins in the mean, anything below 7 you win, anything above 7 I win....with a 7-9 record simply being a wash. And as you stated, this is based on if Geno plays all 16 games. 

Deal. 

If I lose, what should I change my avatar/message to? For the record, no pictures of drug dealers and no reference to crack. I dont condone the "alphabet boys" activity. 

19 minutes ago, PepPep said:

WA WA WA......Are you going to continue to make excuses for the a$$hole? The guy had two full seasons and all he had to do was show something, ANYTHING to lead the coaching staff to believe they were on the right track with Geno. He NEVER showed anything. On top of that, you don't understand my hate for Geno? Well, let me ask you if I stiffed you out of $600 for the sake of CHARITY no less, what would you think of me?

What you're missing is that although it took 3 seasons, Genos' true colrs came out when he got into that altercation. It created tremendous embarrassment to not only Geno(although he might to be too stupid to even realize he's a laughingstock), but to the NYJ as a whole. I happen to be a lifelong Jets fan. I do NOT like scumbags that make my team look like a laughingstock and that is EXACTLY what Geno did that day.

This, not to mention that he's supposed to be a LEADER. I'm sorry but a leader does NOT pull the same sh*t Geno did. But quite frankly I could give a flying f*ck if you agree or disagree. I just know that al of the decent people in the Jets fan base do NOT like Geno and want him cut as soon as possible.

14 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Im game. 7 wins in the mean, anything below 7 you win, anything above 7 I win....with a 7-9 record simply being a wash. And as you stated, this is based on if Geno plays all 16 games. 

Deal. 

If I lose, what should I change my avatar/message to? For the record, no pictures of drug dealers and no reference to crack. I dont condone the "alphabet boys" activity. 

Geno will NOT start 16 games. He won't even start opening day. But assuming he does start 16 games, you're on. I agree with your terms. And I also will not embarrass you with what I make you change your avatar to. You've already embarrassed yourself enough talking all that Geno crap.

2 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

Geno will NOT start 16 games. He won't even start opening day. But assuming he does start 16 games, you're on. I agree with your terms. And I also will not embarrass you with what I make you change your avatar to. You've already embarrassed yourself enough talking all that Geno crap.

Well, my intention will be to embarrass you while keeping it football oriented. You do what you want. 

As for Geno not starting 16 games, maybe, maybe not, but im not making indirect excuses. If Geno's on the field, based on our bet Geno will for sure win 8 or more games. 

Much harder schedule.. Zero improvement to the Oline. Losing dependable d-brick for a guy who is hurt more than he plays is not a upgrade. Is both Marshall and decker going to be as awesome and healthy as they were last yr ? Forte is interesting. Older Rbs tend to take a beating but jones worked well for us few yrs ago.

A qb may help win a few games, but it is mostly a team effort. Look how bad Peyton manning stats were last yr.. If geno started our last game vs buf we win 11 and make the playoffs. Then again just about anyone could have played better than fitz did in that game.

Yeah, I figured 9.  Fitz looked good because on third down you always had Marshall to move the chains.  Geno never had that, it makes a big difference.  I think Geno will be much better than he ever was, but the schedule is tougher.  So 9.

5 hours ago, BowlesMovement said:

Geno will probably win about 12 games this year as the starting QB of the NYJ

There is simply NO WAY the Jets win 12 games with Geno Smith at QB. The game is too fast for him. Yeah, he looks great in practice and non contact drills, but when the real bullets start to fly the guy goes brainlocked. Case in point. The Jets were in FG position against the Pats and for some reason called a pass play where Geno rolled right. Nothing was open except the option of running for a few yards and maybe a first down. Suddenly Rob Ninkovich appears in pass rush mode and Geno - supposedly a great athlete - froze and took a sack that took the team out of FG range. That is just one of the many examples of Geno making poor decisions under duress. How do you see that changing?

1 hour ago, kelticwizard said:

Yeah, I figured 9.  Fitz looked good because on third down you always had Marshall to move the chains.  Geno never had that, it makes a big difference.  I think Geno will be much better than he ever was, but the schedule is tougher.  So 9.

I agree. As I stated before, Geno will be as much a beneficiary as Fitz when it comes to the talent around him. I think the difference is people being either pessimistic on his floor or optimistic on his ceiling. 

The talent however is there for sure. Including a Matt Forte that is a legit 3 down back? Thats pretty awesome. 

34 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

There is simply NO WAY the Jets win 12 games with Geno Smith at QB. The game is too fast for him. Yeah, he looks great in practice and non contact drills, but when the real bullets start to fly the guy goes brainlocked. Case in point. The Jets were in FG position against the Pats and for some reason called a pass play where Geno rolled right. Nothing was open except the option of running for a few yards and maybe a first down. Suddenly Rob Ninkovich appears in pass rush mode and Geno - supposedly a great athlete - froze and took a sack that took the team out of FG range. That is just one of the many examples of Geno making poor decisions under duress. How do you see that changing?

Almost like Fitz, on the 14, 1st down, down a point, 5 minutes left in buffalo, needing to protect the ball and at least come away with the FG and a win.  Nope, throw up a prayer and watch it get picked.  

That is just one of the many examples of FITZ, an 11 year vert, making poor decisions under duress. How do you see that changing?

very easy answer to this question

if geno smith improves a lot, he will win a lot of games

if geno smith improves a little, he will win an average amount of games

if geno smith does not improve, he will win a very little amount of games

Geno possibly starts this season--if Fitz does not return. From what little we have seen from Petty it doesn't look like he is ready to start. Bowles's comment at the fan forum last week that non-first round players are not expected to start day one suggests he does not intend for Hack to start (and probably does not want to start him even if he felt Hack could take the reins). That leaves Geno or some unknown signing over the summer. 

The question for me is less how many games can Geno win or lose but how many games can the team win in spite of him. Assuming Geno does not come out as a different player this year we are a seven win max team with him at the helm all season and realistically probably more like five or six. We'll see lots of Rex-era low scores being won on a field goal by one side or the other. 

First of all football is a team sport, and wins are a team stat.  But if the question is how many games will Smith make a difference in and win the game for the team?

Zero.*

* Sure he might have a nice game at the end of the season when the team is already out of the playoffs and there's no pressure.  So maybe that's not the right answer in the technical sense.  But for games that really matter, it is the right answer.

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Continuing above; for completeness, predictions with Fitz:

1. 0 CIN
  2. 0.5 @Buf
  3. 0 @KC
  4. 0 SEA
  5. 0.5 @Pit
  6. 0 @Ari
  7. 0.5 BAL
  8. 1 @Cle
  9. 1 @Mia
  10. 0.5 RAMS
  11. bye
  12. 0.5 @NE
  13. 0.5 IND
  14. 1 @SF
  15. 1 MIA
  16. 0.5 @NE
  17. 0 BUF

Total = 7.5 wins.

Obviously not exact, since I'm not literally predicting a tie game. Further, I expect at least one surprise upset win and/or letdown, but I think they cancel within a half a game after the dust settles. So if I was to throw in another total half-win to full win against Cincy, KC, etc, I'd also bump down up a preseason "win" most are already counting against Baltimore or Indy, into a sure trap-game loss, or maybe we only split with Miami. Either way I see us finishing at 7-9 or 8-8, with a possible but less finish at either 6-10 or 9-7.

So individual surprise results (good or bad) notwithstanding, with the post above, I think this is about where we end up total for with either of them. In fairness, as things appear today, this would be a tough schedule where 11 wins would be very difficult even if we had a true top 10 QB (that we most certainly don't have). All of this is barring future news like significant injuries, acquisitions, blah blah blah. We're in early June.

I love those half wins how did we pull that off exactly :P

Archived