My Father Made Me A NY Jets Fan

courtnj18

Since Father's Day is this month, I figured I'd start this fun thread to keep our minds off of not having a QB :)

My father made me a NY Jet's fan. I don't know if it's because he played football himself, or he just wanted to pretend he had a son. Either way, I am so glad he introduced me into the world of football. If I really was his son, I'd definitely play football in school instead of running track (or both?). 

With that said - How did you become a football and/or Jets fan? What memories do you have of your dad and a NY Jets game?

Screen Shot 2016-06-07 at 12.24.23 PM.png

the manilla envelope with the season tickets addressed from hempstead would arrive every summer and we would wonder before we opened it if this was finally the year the 49ers and Jerry Rice were coming to town.......section 228 in the old stadium....turkey sandwiches from A&C Suprette......pop into the Caddy and head over to the stadium to chant "Joe Must Go".......inevitably spill my hot chocolate on the poor guy sitting in front of me almost every week.......leave late 4th quarter (unless it was a good game) and listen to Marty Glickman and Dave Jennnings on the ride home to staten island.....but not before i got my hot pretzel from the shopping cart....good times, thanks dad

21 minutes ago, JOJOTOWNSELL said:

the manilla envelope with the season tickets addressed from hempstead would arrive every summer and we would wonder before we opened it if this was finally the year the 49ers and Jerry Rice were coming to town.......section 228 in the old stadium....turkey sandwiches from A&C Suprette......pop into the Caddy and head over to the stadium to chant "Joe Must Go".......inevitably spill my hot chocolate on the poor guy sitting in front of me almost every week.......leave late 4th quarter (unless it was a good game) and listen to Marty Glickman and Dave Jennnings on the ride home to staten island.....but not before i got my hot pretzel from the shopping cart....good times, thanks dad

I can see a Norman Rockwell painting here.

I've been a Jets fan since I was 4 years old. What is weird is that my father is a Redskins fan and tried his ass off to make me like them too. But long story short, he never converted me and we got Jet seasons like 6 years ago. So I kind of converted him to a hybrid Jets/Skins fan.... Oh and my brother is a Dolphins fan???

I'm a Jets fan because of Fran Tarkenton. Back when my dad was a younger fellow, he pulled for both the Giants and Jets. He loved watching Fran Tarkenton play for the Giants and when the Giants traded him, he went full time Jets. Since then, both of our lives have been living hells.

Life could have been easier, I suppose. Had he just not been such a stubborn boy I could have been raised a Yankees and Giants fan, instead I was raised by a man that swore his early allegiances to Shea and then passed those down to his son, who has known nothing but misery since. I can't say I mind so much not being a Yankees fan, as it saved me from rooting for the likes of ARod and being a 35-year-old man that brags about rings won in the 1920s, as if I had anything to do with that sh*t, but having to root for Woody Johnson's franchise year after year, that's been a tough one. Thanks Dad.

It's also worth noting that the above will be what I say at his eulogy.

1 hour ago, slowmoe57 said:

My Father made me a Jets fan. Because he was a Giants fan.

My parents were Giant fans, too. It always takes me a long time, but I always come back to the truth that my dad was pretty much right about everything. 

My best friend in elementary school made me a Jet fan. His family had season tix, but his mother and sister didn't enjoy going to the games in cold weather so I used to get to go a lot. All bundled up drinking the hot chocolate at Shea that we called "brown crayon water." Was there when O.J. Simpson ran for 200 yards to be the first player to 2000 in 1973. 

1 hour ago, courtnj18 said:

Since Father's Day is this month, I figured I'd start this fun thread to keep our minds off of not having a QB :)

My father made me a NY Jet's fan. I don't know if it's because he played football himself, or he just wanted to pretend he had a son. Either way, I am so glad he introduced me into the world of football. If I really was his son, I'd definitely play football in school instead of running track (or both?). 

With that said - How did you become a football and/or Jets fan? What memories do you have of your dad and a NY Jets game?

Screen Shot 2016-06-07 at 12.24.23 PM.png

Your Dad told me that he made you a Jets fan because he didn't like you.

Just passing the info along. Do with it whatever you want.

I am far worse than all of you becasue I became a Jets fan as an adult with no influence by parents and no one pressuring me to choose the Jets.  I started to follow the Jets when they signed Ricky Ray and stuck around.  How idiotic is that?

I also remember my father rooting for both Jets and Giants - I remember hearing on the radio Fran Tarkington throwing bombs to Homer Jones, and I rememberTucker Fredrickson... . I guess SuperBowl '69 and living close to Shea Stadium closed the deal for me. Also, we were Met fans so it went together to be a Jet fan as well. But I never had any hatred for the Giants or Yankees, they just didn't turn me on like the Mets and Jets.

46 minutes ago, JiF said:

Jets, Mets, Knicks, Islanders.

Thanks Dad!!!

I love you!

Jets, Yankees, Knicks, Islanders. 

Father wasn't around so I sort of   chose these teams when on my own( early/mid 80s). Not sure how i picked the Jets, but one of my first memories of being a Jets fans was watching Richard Todd complete 3 passes to.......AJ Duhe.

My 8 year old is already a HUGE Jets/Islanders fan like his dad. I've soured on the Yankees and allowed my kid to be a Mets fan. 

My father hated the Giants from his days as a kid.  He rooted for the Browns because of his hatred of the Gmen and moved to the Titans/Jets when they started up.  From Otto Graham and Jum Brown to Namath, Boozer, Maynard etc..

My father made me a football fan. He wasn't a die hard for any team really, but he loves the game. My fondest memories of watching football with my father was watching the Parcells Giants. They had a great team and my Dad loved the way those teams went about their business. He was, and still is, a Parcells nut. He talks about Super Bowl 25 like one talks about seeing the Grand Canyon. 

But, before those great Giants teams, my Dad also told me to keep an eye on #73 in green and white. He told me to watch his hands. He told me to watch how he never, ever, ever gets pushed around. HE was the one that did the pushing. My Dad told me to watch how he never stops, even when seemingly out of the play. 

..and because of the play of #73, I'm a Jets fan. 

1 minute ago, Shadetree said:

My father made me a football fan. He wasn't a die hard for any team really, but he loves the game. My fondest memories of watching football with my father was watching the Parcells Giants. They had a great team and my Dad loved the way those teams went about their business. He was, and still is, a Parcells nut. He talks about Super Bowl 25 like one talks about seeing the Grand Canyon. 

But, before those great Giants teams, my Dad also told me to keep an eye on #73 in green and white. He told me to watch his hands. He told me to watch how he never, ever, ever gets pushed around. HE was the one that did the pushing. My Dad told me to watch how he never stops, even when seemingly out of the play. 

..and because of the play of #73, I'm a Jets fan. 

9yOY3.gif

7 hours ago, The Green Dude said:

I've been a Jets fan since I was 4 years old. What is weird is that my father is a Redskins fan and tried his ass off to make me like them too. But long story short, he never converted me and we got Jet seasons like 6 years ago. So I kind of converted him to a hybrid Jets/Skins fan.... Oh and my brother is a Dolphins fan???

You're not allowed here.

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

Your Dad told me that he made you a Jets fan because he didn't like you.

Just passing the info along. Do with it whatever you want.

Still think it's because I'm a girl, but thanks for the heads up.

Archived