My Father Made Me A NY Jets Fan

courtnj18

6 hours ago, JiF said:

Jets, Mets, Knicks, Islanders.

Thanks Dad!!!

I love you!

Wow dude!  You better be flanked by hot chicks at all times or be stinkin' rich to help make up for that amount of self-torture.

Ya gotta have some winning somewhere.

Jets, Yanks, (don't care 'bout NBA), Devils 

Jets by far #1, but at least the Yanks and Devils help the cause.  

And yes, I too can blame my Pops for a lifetime of Jet enjoyment and misery.  (Mostly the latter.)

2 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Wow dude!  You better be flanked by hot chicks at all times or be stinkin' rich to help make up for that amount of self-torture.

And yes, I too can blame my Pops for a lifetime of Jet enjoyment and misery.  (Mostly the latter.)

My islanders raised their first of 4 straight cup when I was 10. It was a great time in my life. 

And the 86 Mets was a magic ride and I went to the parade and it was freakin great-something I'll never ever forget.

so not that torturous. 

...then there's my jets. My #1 team. That's a whole new level of torture.

37 minutes ago, Shadetree said:

My islanders raised their first of 4 straight cup when I was 10. It was a great time in my life. 

And the 86 Mets was a magic ride and I went to the parade and it was freakin great-something I'll never ever forget.

so not that torturous. 

...then there's my jets. My #1 team. That's a whole new level of torture.

Shout out to Bill Buckner, he saved us :)

My parents encouraged me to read as a kid, when I was like 7.

I didn't like fiction, for some reason I loved sports trivia and sports history.  Read books like, "The 10 greatest NFL games ever played"  SB III was there.  "History of the AFL", obviously, go Jets.  Watched the Sack Exchange for a year, and was hooked.  First real game I remember, The MUD BOWL.  Hasn't gotten much better since.

14 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm a Jets fan because of Fran Tarkenton. Back when my dad was a younger fellow, he pulled for both the Giants and Jets. He loved watching Fran Tarkenton play for the Giants and when the Giants traded him, he went full time Jets. Since then, both of our lives have been living hells.

Life could have been easier, I suppose. Had he just not been such a stubborn boy I could have been raised a Yankees and Giants fan, instead I was raised by a man that swore his early allegiances to Shea and then passed those down to his son, who has known nothing but misery since. I can't say I mind so much not being a Yankees fan, as it saved me from rooting for the likes of ARod and being a 35-year-old man that brags about rings won in the 1920s, as if I had anything to do with that sh*t, but having to root for Woody Johnson's franchise year after year, that's been a tough one. Thanks Dad.

It's also worth noting that the above will be what I say at his eulogy.

were you locked up in the basement during the 90's

:)

22 minutes ago, faba said:

My father was a Jets and Mets fan so i grew up watching the games with him- good memories- RIP dad

Same here.  My best sports memories involve the same, would give anything to still be able to watch with my dad.  Thankfully I've been able to do the same with my son.  Started taking him to Jets games when he was 6

20 hours ago, courtnj18 said:

Since Father's Day is this month, I figured I'd start this fun thread to keep our minds off of not having a QB :)

My father made me a NY Jet's fan. I don't know if it's because he played football himself, or he just wanted to pretend he had a son. Either way, I am so glad he introduced me into the world of football. If I really was his son, I'd definitely play football in school instead of running track (or both?). 

With that said - How did you become a football and/or Jets fan? What memories do you have of your dad and a NY Jets game?

Screen Shot 2016-06-07 at 12.24.23 PM.png

Im reminded of a poster on JETS Insider that had the GREATEST sig.  It stated something like..

"Every year on the anniversary of my dear fathers passing I go with a heavy heart to visit his grave....  and I curse at him for making me a JETS fan"

My dad was a die hard B Dodgers fan. From day 1 we were Mets fans. It was so natural to become a Jets fan in the late 60's. Been a Knicks fan since then except for a period in the 70's when I followed the LI ABA team. Wished the NBA would switch to those red/white/blue balls. Could never get enough of the stadium pretzels and what seemed like liter sized pepsi's.

My sons are diehard Mets/Jets/Syracuse fans. My DIL bought my grandson a Tom Brady jersey. He refuses to put it on. I'm soooo proud!

13 hours ago, courtnj18 said:

Oh sh*t you like hockey??? :jawdrop:

Like Basketball, I watch the playoffs. 

12 hours ago, Mike135 said:

If it werent for my brains getting me in the University of Florida and enjoying their short periods of dominance, I'd be in sports fandom misery.

My dad was a die hard Giants fan. He raised me alone so we weren't all that well to do financially. My Godfather was his best friend and a season ticket holder for the Jets. Because we didn't have much financially my dad could never get us to a Giants game in the 80's, but my godfather could score a free ticket to the Jets anytime, so my dad took me to tons of Jets games. Unfortunately after a while that will turn a kid lol. Broke my dad's heart. Consequently being a Jets fan taught me to root for the underdog, and oddly enough for it I became a Yankees fan. In the 80's the Mets were all the rage and the Yankees suuuuucked, so I found myself rooting for them pitifully. That ended up paying off for me obviously, almost too much so as I do despise the fact they keep trying to buy their way into championships.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 6/7/2016 at 0:44 PM, courtnj18 said:

Since Father's Day is this month, I figured I'd start this fun thread to keep our minds off of not having a QB :)

My father made me a NY Jet's fan. I don't know if it's because he played football himself, or he just wanted to pretend he had a son. Either way, I am so glad he introduced me into the world of football. If I really was his son, I'd definitely play football in school instead of running track (or both?). 

With that said - How did you become a football and/or Jets fan? What memories do you have of your dad and a NY Jets game?

Your father must be remarkably well-balanced to be a Jets fan yet not need anything stronger than Coors Light.

For me? Dad was chiefly a Giants fan, though we watched both; there was no cable back then, and if you think there's nothing on now you don't know what it is to have nothing on (we did eventually get WHT, though!). Back then who knows why I chose the Jets. Probably liked the green uniforms, that are now so stained by history they won't even allow them as throwbacks even once.  It was just one of a lifetime of horrible judgment calls, other than getting Mrs. Sperm to marry me.

I grew up a Jet fan mostly thanks to my Dad, Grandfather and brother.  In my family 2 teams we didn't have a choice in and that was the Yankees and Jets.  I am thankful in the last 20 years I had the Yankees to pick me up when the Jets were bad though growing up in the 80s the Jets were the more successful franchise for me.  I am raising my kids Jet fans, some may consider it child abuse but I think it toughens you up.  You stick with your teams through wins and losses just as you stick w/ your family through ups and downs and some day when the Jets actually win the Super Bowl we are going to appreciate it more than any other fans.  I just hope I am alive to enjoy it with my kids.  

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Imagine this thread on a PATS board.

"Well I am a PATS fan since 2001, I am a die hard fan, since 2001 blah,blah,blah....."

Biggest asshol3s in the fan kingdom.

Lol.  How many posts would have 'the great Tom Brady' in them?

My dad's blameless, he was never a football fan, he was just interested in the Mets and Islanders, which he failed to get me to follow, and it wasn't for the lack of trying on his behalf.

Rest of the family are Giants fans, but I was airplane crazy and everything about the Jets seemed much cooler. Oh well.

On June 7, 2016 at 0:44 PM, courtnj18 said:

My dad used to get free Jet tickets towards the ends of the losing seasons in the 60's and 70's from someone who had seasons....I was born in '68 and here I am still hooked on this cursed organization that starts never learns from its past and makes the same mistakes over and over and over and over......

On June 8, 2016 at 8:24 AM, Jet Nut said:

Same here.  My best sports memories involve the same, would give anything to still be able to watch with my dad.  Thankfully I've been able to do the same with my son.  Started taking him to Jets games when he was 6

me three

On June 8, 2016 at 8:24 AM, Jet Nut said:

Started taking my son when he was 6 during the "Ditch Rich" years.  At that time there was no anonymous texting option to security when fans around us got unruly or overly boisterous.  Needless to say he grew up fast.

14 hours ago, Flushing Roots said:

Started taking my son when he was 6 during the "Ditch Rich" years.  At that time there was no anonymous texting option to security when fans around us got unruly or overly boisterous.  Needless to say he grew up fast.

it was rough in those days.

16 hours ago, Flushing Roots said:

LMAO thats great. I have 2 girls and at that time they were both under 10.  I stopped watching religiously as I was busy and at 1-15...  we knew the outcome.  In 1998, they were like..."Dad?  You like football???"    

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

LMAO thats great. I have 2 girls and at that time they were both under 10.  I stopped watching religiously as I was busy and at 1-15...  we knew the outcome.  In 1998, they were like..."Dad?  You like football???"    

I never forget it...

My son is 8 years old and we're at the Kansas City game.  I think Steve DeBerg was KC's QB.

This kid (about 18) shows up with his g/f with a Chiefs varsity jacket on.

Halfway through the 3rd quarter,  all of a sudden this kid is bombed out of his mind with his shirt off swinging at every Jet fan near him.

His g/f is crying.

Security comes to grab this guy, he takes a swing at the security guard and in the commotion lands face down in the aisle about a foot from my 8 year old's two feet.

They haul the guy away and my son says to me, "Hey, Dad!  This is great!  We're seeing two things for the price of one"!

A memory was made that day at the Jet's game.

Archived