Official Training Camp Thread(8/8/16)

Patriot Killa

2 hours ago, Snell41 said:

Geno would never ever sign an extension at this point of his career. He has no reason to. He's going to hit the market next year as a premium backup at the very least. The only scenario that has Geno on the Jets next year is Fitz going down early and Geno coming in playing so well that the Jets throw the franchise tag on him. Otherwise he's gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's not necessarily true.  Short of a great run as a starter this year, the best Geno will be looking at in FA is a chance to compete somewhere else; nobody is signing him as the long term starter.  If he gets the sense the Jets now see him in that vein, and may be willing to move on from Fitz after this year, he won't find a better situation somewhere else.  A 2 year extension would actually make a lot of sense, from his perspective

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Villain The Foe & @Integrity28

I think the next time one of you baits the other, and the other responds, I'm just gonna ban you both. Don't quote me here and plead your case, just ignore each other. It would probably be better if you did that electronically. Thanks. 

Could be I'm just in a testy mood, but probably best not to test me. 

7 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

This is true. This will be a site to see. I dont think we'll see enough of Fitz to make a preseason comparison. He'll probably get a series or two, but if Geno is productive with the time given then I wonder what the go-to plan will be. Of course he's not getting the starting job here unless its week 6 or 7 and the Jets season is looking bleak, but I wonder if he would actually push for a trade somewhere. 

only the jets could go through the fitz drama and wind up with geno drama, lol

2 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

That's not necessarily true.  Short of a great run as a starter this year, the best Geno will be looking at in FA is a chance to compete somewhere else; nobody is signing him as the long term starter.  If he gets the sense the Jets now see him in that vein, and may be willing to move on from Fitz after this year, he won't find a better situation somewhere else.  A 2 year extension would actually make a lot of sense, from his perspective

Kind of like a Sanchez 2.0.  Just good enough to make some fans somewhere see a ray of hope that he can step up and become more.

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Thanks.

Good to see him eating them up. I'm looking forward to seeing him against other teams #1's. Like I've said a million times... QBs are currency in this league. Best thing for the Jets is that ALL of them pan out. 

Exactly

7 minutes ago, Larz said:

only the jets could go through the fitz drama and wind up with geno drama, lol

I think thats the aspect of the Jets we love so much. This has been the most organized, well-oiled Jets team in a LONG TIME...atleast since the Tuna era, yet fans are losing their minds! lol. 

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

I think that is the aspect of the Jets that we love. This has been the most organized, well-oiled Jets team in a LONG TIME...atleast since the Tuna era, yet fans are losing their minds! lol. 

agreed.  we have grown ups in charge again !

4 minutes ago, Larz said:

agreed.  we have grown ups in charge again !

True. 

The fact that neither the Wilk or Fitz info leaked out shows that there's something different happening here. Glad that Woody went outside the norm and got the proper help when hiring Macc/Bowles. 

I really hope we make the playoffs. Its been a very long time. 

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Thanks.

Good to see him eating them up. I'm looking forward to seeing him against other teams #1's. Like I've said a million times... QBs are currency in this league. Best thing for the Jets is that ALL of them pan out. 

Nah.  Being right on the internet is more important than that.

It would probably be an NFL first if the light comes on in year 4 of a young QB.  Oh wait, I guess that used to be the norm.  Even as recent as Aaron Rodgers young Qb's used to sit and learn for 3 to 5 years.  Reading a complex NFL defense is a difficult task and most people struggle early.  I am not saying that Geno will or won't become a quality QB, I'm just saying that this is the time he should start showing something.  Signing Fitz isn't saying the team has no faith in Geno, it is saying that we believe we have a win now team and we want to make sure all of our bases are covered.  I know that I for one am a Jets fan and would love to see both qb's excel.

1 hour ago, fltflo said:

Interesting,

Geno looking good in OTA's,doesn't matter,we have to see how he is in TC

Geno looking good in TC, doesn't matter we have to see how he looks in preseason

Geno looking good in preseason, well of course, but we all know he just can't play well in the regular season.

Anyone see a pattern here. I see a QB that might leave us next season and make many here regret the day we ever let him out of the building, time will tell.

In 2014 Geno looked great until the regular season started, too.  All of this is no indication of regular season potential.

Geno Smith throws 6 touchdowns at Jets camp | Complete stats from Monday

By Connor Hughes | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

FLORHAM PARK— Jets quarterback Geno Smith looked quite good at training camp Monday. 

That may be underselling it a bit. 

Smith completed 16-of-19 passes in practice including six (!) touchdowns. Even better for the quarterback, each was thrown in the red zone, an area Smith has struggled with immensely throughout his career. 

"I've got to see the film," Jets coach Todd Bowles said after practice. "[Smith] made some throws. I think he's made progress, strides. We'll see Thursday [Jets preseason opener] and in the next couple of games, but he's doing a good job."

The Jets spent the majority of their team drills in the red zone — within 20 yards of the goal line — in an attempt to work situational football. The offense was given eight downs to score. If they didn't, the next team was brought in. 

Smith, as the Jets' backup quarterback, worked with the second-team offense against a mixture of the second- and third-team defenders. What may be more impressive than his scores was the manner in which he threw them – Five different players caught touchdowns.

Rookies Charone Peake and Jalin Marshall pulled in the first and second on out routes. Quincy Enunwa caught the third on a slant. Jace Amaro the fourth on a flag. Marshall grabbed the fifth on a slant. Jeremy Ross the sixth on a post. 

Again, it was quite the impressive day for No. 7, and bounce-back from his last outing. 

Smith struggled immensely in Saturday's Green and White scrimmage/practice. He threw one interception and nearly two more. In camp the last several practices, defensive backs have been regularly intercepting Smith. That wasn't the case Monday. 

The Jets will play their preseason opener Thursday against the Jacksonville Jaguars, and Smith is expected to see extended action. Catching fire now, just before a potential audition for another NFL team, is more than ideal for Smith.

Connor Hughes may be reached at chughes@njadvancemedia.com.

5 hours ago, BroadwayJets said:

If Hack doesn't play, I will be livid. There's probably a 1% chance he doesn't play, but it will be inexcusable if he doesn't.

Yeah but the problem is, Hack can't throw a decent pass. He's a long way away from throwing in the NFL, even if it's the pre season. 

3 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Yeah but the problem is, Hack can't throw a decent pass. He's a long way away from throwing in the NFL, even if it's the pre season. 

From what I've read he throws a nice deep ball with alot of touch.  It seems like he has the yips on the short to intermediate throws

6 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Right.  But we didn't have to pay 12mil for a semi-competent backup.

He wasnt signed to be the backup. He was signed to start.  He's only the backup if Geno emerges.  Not sure why some of you can't figure this out. You're acting like you expect your gm to have special powers and see into the future.  

If he had signed a crappy backup and Geno sucks you'd be complaining about how macc failed to bring back fitz.  

Let's remember that it's not  maccs fault thar our  qb situation is in limbo.  But in 2 years if we still don't have a franchise QB THEN it will be his fault.  For now he's doing the best he can with the cards/Geno he was dealt. 

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

He wasnt signed to be the backup. He was signed to start.  He's only the backup if Geno emerges.  Not sure why some of you can't figure this out. You're acting like you expect your gm to have special powers and see into the future.  

If he had signed a crappy backup and Geno sucks you'd be complaining about how macc failed to bring back fitz.  

Let's remember that it's not  maccs fault thar our  qb situation is in limbo.  But in 2 years if we still don't have a franchise QB THEN it will be his fault.  For now he's doing the best he can with the cards/Geno he was dealt. 

Valid points.  Except if you think I personally would have complained about not re-signing Fitz, regardless of the outcome, you haven't been paying much attention to who posts what this offseason.

Though things are what they are now.  Fitz is back making 12mil.  I'm rooting for him just like anyone else wearing the laundry.  I just hope Bowles is capable of really playing the best player, no matter what numbers are involved.

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Decker and Marshall make Fitzpatrick better than he really is 

2 years ago when Decker was healthy, which wasn't all that much, Geno was good.

He could've easily matched what Fitz did last year with a healthy Decker AND Marshall all season.

Marshall saved Fitz so many times last year. 

3 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Who pissed in your cheerios?  Seriously - based on the information available to date, I'd much rather see Fitz as the starting QB of this team than Geno.  But know-nothing fans with irrational hatred aside, it's also not out of the realm of possibility that Geno would be the better QB for the Jets.  Geno has more natural arm-talent than Fitz, and has always been held back by the mental side of the game.  That coming together for him enough to take the starting job is the longest of long shots - but there's also no doubt the Jets would be better off if that long shot cashed.  Can't see how anyone can dispute that.

They were Boo-Berries

But know-nothing's fans with Butt-inskyitis aside, it's also not out of the realm of possibility that Hack would be the better QB for the Jets.  Hack also has more arm-talent than Fitz and a better mental side of the game than Geno. He has other weaknesses though.  Those coming together for him enough to take the starting job is the longest of long shots - but there's also no doubt the Jets would be better off if that long shot cashed.  Can't see how anyone can dispute that.

what do either of those thoughts have to do with the price of tea in China?

We just put up with 6 months of negotiation bull$hit and took a loan of $5 mil against the 2017 cap because our GM & HC want Fitz as our QB this year not Geno.

Fitz is our QB.

Period.

The End

4 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

No, all indications have shown that Fitz and his "hair" has been the topic of discussion and he's been overly dolled up if you will. However, reading the tweets from the practices shows (to me) that Geno is having a better preseason so far. 

I dont care if practice today was in shorts. You go out and you PRACTICE. 

I gotta agree here.  I've been reading the camp tweets daily and it seems that Geno is having a better camp.  Granted, he isn't going up against starters, but that's not by choice and he's still doing what he has to do.

1 hour ago, Mike135 said:

Valid points.  Except if you think I personally would have complained about not re-signing Fitz, regardless of the outcome, you haven't been paying much attention to who posts what this offseason.

Though things are what they are now.  Fitz is back making 12mil.  I'm rooting for him just like anyone else wearing the laundry.  I just hope Bowles is capable of really playing the best player, no matter what numbers are involved.

I haven't been able to track everyone's positions, but I was also OK with them not bringing FItz back. I am not a Fitz fan, but the truth is we are better,  as a team, with FItz than without him or with the other scrapheap backup QBs that were on the market. So as long as we didn't cave to his demands, I was OK with bringing him back to start. He deserves to be the "starter" heading into the season. But I agree with you that if Geno clearly outperforms Fitz, then Geno should get the job. But if Geno marginally outperforms Fitz then I am going with FItz because I know what he can do with this team and I am still nervous about Geno's football IQ. 

1 hour ago, peekskill68 said:

From what I've read he throws a nice deep ball with alot of touch.  It seems like he has the yips on the short to intermediate throws

I take that back. Hack can throw, but he just can't throw accurately.

I've been saying all along that the Geno Smith story has not been completely told. The problem is this is not a young rebuilding team, it's a team with a lot of veterans 29 & over. While Macc is bringing in youth & creating awesome competition at the bottom of the roster, the organization can't take a flyer that GENO HAS ARRIVED. 

They are much more comfortable going into the season knowing EXACTLY what they have in Fitz & I believe they feel he can be pretty efficient 2nd year in the system & with the addition of Forte, Enunwas in 2nd year, Amaro coming back & some youngsters at 4/5/6 WR. The defense looks have a chance of top 3 if the offense is more balanced.

I think the Geno hate is over the top. Rex is a complete ahole when it comes to discipline, Bowles is much more of a role model/mentor for Geno. Rex would have said he needs to speak to Ik after he punched Geno in the face, Bowles cut his azz appropriately immediately. It's been a long time since the Jets have been run so professionally. 

They were Boo-Berries

But know-nothing's fans with Butt-inskyitis aside, it's also not out of the realm of possibility that Hack would be the better QB for the Jets.  Hack also has more arm-talent than Fitz and a better mental side of the game than Geno. He has other weaknesses though.  Those coming together for him enough to take the starting job is the longest of long shots - but there's also no doubt the Jets would be better off if that long shot cashed.  Can't see how anyone can dispute that.

what do either of those thoughts have to do with the price of tea in China?

We just put up with 6 months of negotiation bull$hit and took a loan of $5 mil against the 2017 cap because our GM & HC want Fitz as our QB this year not Geno.

Fitz is our QB.

Period.

The End

Yeah, those seem roughly comparable.

Never mind. Enjoy your angry certainty

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Larz said:

he would learn more, he's just not the focus.  even if disaster strikes, the jets would go sign a veteran off the street before they would play hack.  They are going to get fitz and geno ready, petty and hack won't play this year no matter what, so they get the scraps

I think there's some middle ground here. On one hand he is the 4th QB on the roster, that's fine. On the other hand, he's probably the starter next year. I'm not concerned about the regular season for Hack, under no circumstances should he play this year. But I do think he needs to be getting his reps in TC, if not the preseason. One or the other, I think practicing and actually trying out what he's learning in a no-stress environment is the best for him. TC isn't over, and his reps could increase, and all this talk can be for nothing and I'm overreacting. I just hope that we don't fck this up, and because he is Mac's guy, he is the focus of the future IMO.

12 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

I can't imagine Geno resigning here unless he has that great run as a starter you're speculating about, and the Jets want to keep him as their starter. All around unlikely. The Jets have their QB of the future in Hackenberg and, even if Geno lit it up in relief of Fitz, Hack is the direction they're headed. 

No, I think Geno will be looking to get as far away from this team as he can when he hits free agency. Away from where he got his face broken, away from the team that didn't come to his defense, and away from a fan base that largely hates him. At a minimum, he'll land a backup job somewhere, and it's possible he'll get a chance to compete for a starting role on a really desperate team (like this year's Browns). 

Archived