#TEAMPETTY

CobraVerde

17 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Fitz is horrible, I still have no idea why people think he is good. He is throwing to Decker and Marshall in a single read offense. All things any other Jets QB can do, He has no arm and no accuracy

Geno was a complete smelly turd tonight. He has looked pretty lousy outside of 1 throw to Peake. 

Why does anyone want either of these JAGs to play. Bowles will play Fitz and he will screw us up the butt in the first 6 games.

Petty looked like a NFL QB, with arm strength accuracy and touch. Care less it was against 3s. you can still see the quality of his play. I would rather just start Bryce and see what happens and I am OK with him as a 2.

While I think your logic re: Fitz is flawed (you are essentially calling anyone without a great arm horrible, I think there is a middle ground), I agree with your end conclusion that Petty's high ceiling should guarantee he gets a shot as a starting QB in this league at some point.  His raw arm strength, the way the ball comes out, is reminiscent of Marino.  If he can figure it out mentally and avoid the dumb turnover, he could be a pretty good QB.

As for 2016, I'm fine with starting with Fitz.  But if things get ugly it should be Petty who steps in.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I agree, with the caveat that we'd need to see Petty do it with the #2's and not the #3's.

Geno was horrible tonight, 1 INT, at least 2 more "Advanced Stat" INT's his fans care so much about, and no production at all.

I said it before, I'm happy to go into 2016 with Fitz/Petty/Hack.  Fitz goes down, we're hosed regardless, and Petty (IMO) will win and produce just as well as Geno could.

The difference is Petty might have a future here.  Geno doesn't.

Sadly, our F.O. lacks the testicles for such a brave, forward-thinking, but risky, move.

Kind of ironic that at a time when jets fans can be optimistic for a change, you have nothing but "petty" digs at other fans

18 minutes ago, Warfish said:

We'll see, because Geno looks like warmed over dogsh*t thus far in 2016, and he's still here.

We'll see who plays with the #2's next week.  If there is a real competition, it'll be Petty.

If not, it'll be Geno, and Petty is as good as cut.

Petty isn't getting cut, bruh.

19 minutes ago, Warfish said:

We'll see, because Geno looks like warmed over dogsh*t thus far in 2016, and he's still here.

We'll see who plays with the #2's next week.  If there is a real competition, it'll be Petty.

If not, it'll be Geno, and Petty is as good as cut.

Fitz and geno both looked bad, because both of them are bad players. I want petty to start getting some reps with the 1's. enough of this nonsense

1 minute ago, cant wait said:

Fitz and geno both looked bad, because both of them are bad players. I want petty to start getting some reps with the 1's. enough of this nonsense

I would be a little careful here. Fitz has played well in the regular season. Geno has never. Also, while I like Petty for the number 2 job and Geno getting cut. I still think the best situation is having Petty battle for number one next season.

2 minutes ago, RSJ said:

I would be a little careful here. Fitz has played well in the regular season. Geno has never. Also, while I like Petty for the number 2 job and Geno getting cut. I still think the best situation is having Petty battle for number one next season.

The jets would be wise to start fast tracking petty now. the jets could take 6 losses out of the first 7 and will be looking hard for a spark and it would be a huge boost if petty is prepared to step in. not to mention fitz is not a durable QB and will likely get injured at some point this season

8 minutes ago, David Harris said:

The arrows are pointing in opposite directions for Smith and petty .

Bryce seems to have that it factor, confidence in the pocket, a good feel for pressure, a little bit of swag. . . 

geno saves the team $1M against the cap if cut as well as opening a roster spot for a young prospect. it's time to turn the page 

9 minutes ago, cant wait said:

geno saves the team $1M against the cap if cut as well as opening a roster spot for a young prospect. it's time to turn the page 

I'm pretty sure that 1 million is fully guaranteed, but 1 million means nothing, and will have nothing to do with the eventual decision. 

4 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I'm pretty sure that 1 million is fully guaranteed, but 1 million means nothing, and will have nothing to do with the eventual decision. 

No there's $500k in dead money but the cap savings is $1M. the jets are already 750k over next years cap, so any money saved now will be useful

I'm not ready to say we should ride into the season with Petty as the #2 and no Geno on the roster but each week it gets closer to being a defensible position.

Petty's only play time has been with the bottom of the barrel, many of whom on each team will not survive the cut to 53. That's not enough to say he's ready to start if Fitz gets injured.

Geno seems to look worse each week. He's at least not getting better each week which makes me think this is his ceiling in the NFL. Not cut out for a starting role and barely scraping by as a #2 behind a guy who last year said he really gets Madden now. Madden. 

2 hours ago, Jetdawgg said:

Petty is throwing to better WR's. Why can't people here understand that?

Petty is throwing to better WRs this preseason? Throwing to the third string preseason guys are better than what, Nelson/Gates/Kerley? I don't know that I agree with you in either situation but he certainly didn't do much better with Decker/Harvin/Kerley and two of three of those guys are still in the league with Decker the #2 on this team. 

I'm not all that sure I'm going all out for Petty here.  This was a horrible game for the receivers, a ton of drops from the first team onwards.  Petty made some good throws, but he also made some bad ones as well.  He should've had atleast one pick with the deflected pass, but he didn't.  I'm not saying Geno was anything great either, infact, all three QBs really had trouble with dropped passes today.    

2 minutes ago, win4ever said:

I'm not all that sure I'm going all out for Petty here.  This was a horrible game for the receivers, a ton of drops from the first team onwards.  Petty made some good throws, but he also made some bad ones as well.  He should've had atleast one pick with the deflected pass, but he didn't.  I'm not saying Geno was anything great either, infact, all three QBs really had trouble with dropped passes today.    

Not all out on him at all, but I am COMPLETELY OUT on Geno. He is a bum and Petty CLEARLY looks like a better QB and it doesn't look close to my eyes. 

I'd still like to see the team keep all 4. I also think, as of this a.m., the team is still in a position where they have to keep 4 because Hack is sooo horrendous. It's a liability to have him as your 3.

As much as I do not like Geno, he IS a much better option than Hack right now. 

Agree, we need to see Petty with the one's - kid is playing for his career and has stepped up

Anderson, Marshall and Peake will be a hard decision if they are keeping 4 QB's maybe they can cut all TE's, the FB and Thompkins since I would prefer to keep all 4 QB's and see these young WR's develop, not sure the Jets have ever had this depth at WR :D maybe we can still stash Ross on the PS but don't think any of the other 3 would last

6 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

Petty is throwing to better WRs this preseason? Throwing to the third string preseason guys are better than what, Nelson/Gates/Kerley? I don't know that I agree with you in either situation but he certainly didn't do much better with Decker/Harvin/Kerley and two of three of those guys are still in the league with Decker the #2 on this team. 

You just proved my point. Only 2 of those guys are still in the league and the Jets released Kerley. Petty is throwing to a better group of WR's and I am glad. 

4 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

No way Petty is not on the 53. this is the Jets, we've not exactly had an History of Stella QB play, in our history outside, Joe N.

The kids got an arm and seem to get it now. I'm excited we may have a young, Real QB on our roster. I'm all in Petty!

I'd prefer Brando over Geno!

giphy.gif

Petty had and awesome night. I'm mainly concerned about Fitz. All of our TD's have been from our 2nd and 3rd string offenses. I need to see progress in this 3rd game. 

It's not good that through a collection of 2 games Petty has clearly looked like the best QB, especially after yesterday's game. With that said though it's great to see a response on the QB development front. Petty put on a solid performance last night. 

5 hours ago, Hitman Harris said:

Not all out on him at all, but I am COMPLETELY OUT on Geno. He is a bum and Petty CLEARLY looks like a better QB and it doesn't look close to my eyes. 

and throw in that it's petty's 2nd year and he seems to have made nice progress.  if their trajectories continue, by season's end it may not even be close.

at this point, you'd have to think that if geno is still the #2 qb it's only b/c he has 2 years of experience.  

I'm was as happy as anyone to see Petty play well...But playing against 3's DOES matter.  Virtually every year we have 3rd stringers look good in the pre-season.  t means very little. It's a MUCH fast game with MUCH tighter coverage. .  He might be ready for that, but we don't know it yet.  All we know is he's better than last year.

I would like to think the CS can tell if he's ready but this is the same CS/GM that gave Ryan Fitzpatrick $12mm and declared him the starter when he wasn't even on the roster. I hope most people watched Fitzpatrick's play tonight and now remember why he's been a journeyman back-up.  If the CS/GM didn't understand that I just don't how they actually evaluate QB talent.

What is most exciting though is that, for the first time in a long time, I have optimism that we MIGHT have a franchise QB on the roster.

In my opinion thus far you keep Petty. We know what Geno is, he is not Mac's guy, if he was such an improved QB he wouldn't be getting outdone by a second year QB who seems to be putting things together. I am not saying Petty is going to come in and take over the starting Job but we know what Geno is and I haven't seen any improvement. It's worth the risk letting Geno go, if he has to step in for Fitz he won't win us that many more Games that would make a difference in our season.

If it comes to that point I would rather see what Petty can do in a real NFL game when the pressure is on, then at least we know if we have a QB with starting potential and the mental make up to succeed in the NFL. 

Archived