T0mShane

Your guess as to the Jets 2016-17 record  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Season record for the 2016 Jets

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

11-5 and if this defense gets to elite status maybe even better like 12-4. We are going to be explosive on offense with Peake and Anderson in 4 wide sets and Enunwa hopefully emerging as the Fulltime TE

Peake, Anderson, and Devin Smith will be non-entities as long as Fitzpatrick is the quarterback.

I went with 6-10 which is good enough to guarantee we don't land the top QB and bad enough that we don't make the playoffs. I am concerned about our CBs (what happens if Revis goes down?) I am concerned that with all the veteran talent we have one of them is bound to be lost this season at an important position (Mangold, Clady, Revis, Marshall, Forte.) We have depth at most positions but our depth is young and still learning. If everyone can stay healthy i think we dip into the playoffs via a wildcard slot this season.

10 minutes ago, Larz said:

11-5,  best jets defense we have ever seen

4 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

This. 

In all honesty my concern is how the defense played coming out of the gates last year. They really weren't that good early on, the raider game and the Texans game was embarrassing. It wasn't until Bowles yelled at them and they went on that run and started playing better. If they come out lights out this is a strong possibility.

7-9

Strength of schedule is harder, 6 of first 9 on the road, razor thin at key positions, key player losses were impact guys, key player additions are injury-prone guys, OL and TE regressed, LB's still questionable in coverage.

And that's before one takes the first team preseason into account with no evidence of a running game, a defense surrendering long drives, and our up and down journeyman quarterback looking more down than up. 

Last year was a fluke for a 4-12 rebuilding team assisted by an easy schedule and gutsy last second wins. This year the expectations and competition is much higher, Jets will be practically out of the playoffs after a terrible start, not feeling it. 

SAR I

32 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Peake, Anderson, and Devin Smith will be non-entities as long as Fitzpatrick is the quarterback.

Peake and Smith, yes, but Anderson can catch and had a great catch radius.  IMHO, there will def be a Fitz-Anderson connection.

A lot of optimism in this thread.  Too bad I am not feeling it.  I see 8-8.  I don't have a lot of faith in Fitz and our paper thin OL scares me.  Going to be awfully tough to beat some of the tough defenses we go up against this year.

If we can manage to beat Cincy this Sunday and prove that we can beat a playoff team at home, which good teams have to do, my outlook may change.  But for now, I am saying 8-8.

43 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

This team will go as far as Ryan Fitzpatrick can take them.

Our record will be a reflection of how well he does - or doesn't play.

+100

Its all about our 12 million dollar journeyman. He has the pcs in place at the skill positions, I mean Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker, Enunwa, Anderson, Forte & Powell! That's plenty to get it done. Can he? Or will teams do what Rex did & disrespect deep parts of the field & take away his short outlets? Let's hope 1 of those 2 TEs we picked up can block because our right side of the line is really shaky. I'm sure the Bengals will be attacking us there.

21 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Going with 8-8.

Brutal schedule

Brutal Oline

and our qb isnt very good.

But love Mac and the talent and depth he's assembling. Just needs to hit on a QB

Same for me and same exact reasons. 

Though I wouldn't say our QB isn't very good.  I would say he is average and is benefited from having very good receivers who can go up there and get the ball.  He'll have depth and a few more weapons this year as well, which will help.

But brutal schedule.  It's like the NFL had it out for us with this schedule.  Maybe to make up for our easy schedule last year - NFC Least and AFC South and essentially 2 of our away games were neutral sites.  But this year, 6 out of the first 9 away and then 3 night games in December(Fitz, if not killed by the turnstile line by then, will be throwing in the wind and elements), not a good recipe. 

Oline was most important and this is the 1 critique of Mac I have during this off season.  He did well with Mo, Fitz, Forte, creating depth at many positions, but failed to secure Oline.  We are playing tough defenses this year and Fitz will be getting hit more often.  We also will need to run to set up any kind of deep threat and it will not be good if Forte, and Powell are met 3 yds deep in backfield because D is stacking the box.  Like Pennington days all over again.  If Clady stays healthy it could be upgrade over last year's dbrik, but that is about as optimistic as I will allow myself to get on this particular unit.  It would have been great if we could have snagged Sitton, but he didn't last.  

To Obrien's last point, I am optimistic about the future.  We got younger, faster and much more depth this year.  If some of our draft picks work out this year and especially next year, then we will have something.  If Petty or Hack develop into a QB on a rookie salary, we could be players in free agency and set us up for years to come - see Seattle. 

But for now, for 2016, I say 8-8, which isn't terrible, but unfortunately no playoffs again. 

1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

If we lose Revis even for a snap our starting CB1 and CB2 currently are Williams and Skrine. let that sink in. I love our defense, we are very solid outside the CB position.

you can say that about every team in the NFL

55 minutes ago, SAR I said:

7-9

Strength of schedule is harder, 6 of first 9 on the road, razor thin at key positions, key player losses were impact guys, key player additions are injury-prone guys, OL and TE regressed, LB's still questionable in coverage.

And that's before one takes the first team preseason into account with no evidence of a running game, a defense surrendering long drives, and our up and down journeyman quarterback looking more down than up. 

Last year was a fluke for a 4-12 rebuilding team assisted by an easy schedule and gutsy last second wins. This year the expectations and competition is much higher, Jets will be practically out of the playoffs after a terrible start, not feeling it. 

SAR I

Ugh..not an unfair assessment, But I would expect more excitement from you. 

I know this view will change with a 2-0 start, so be irrationally positive, it works for me. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

care for a little wager on Fitz throwing more than 30 TD's barring Injury ?

Also with real WR's like Peake and Anderson who know how to adjust to deep balls Im thinking you will see a nice amount of deep passes completed. Devin Smith SUCKS and IMO will not be a member of this team more than a few years with these new additions who can actually run routes and catch the football in traffic.

i don't get all the talk of a "brutal schedule".  it's really not that difficult.  this team was 2 wins away from being the #1 seed in the AFC playoffs.

Bengals - i think they're highly overrated.  meh QB play and no playmakers really outside of AJ Green
Bills - no reason this team shouldn't have beaten them both times last year, their defense has so many injuries
Chiefs - another so-so team with a questionable offense.  Charles isn't 100% and their best LBs are injured
Seahawks - a team with a good defense, but their offense definitely doesn't scare me.
Steelers - first good offense this team will see this season - their defense isn't what it used to be.
Cardinals - pretty much the only team i can't see us beating.
Ravens - no words necessary.  bad OL, bad RBs, bad WRs and a iffy defense.
Browns - no comment necessary
Dolphins - see Browns
Rams - as long as Gurley is stopped, there shouldn't be an issue.
Patriots - always play the pats tough.

Colts - offense has a chance to be good, but OL play is horrid and defense isn't talented.

48 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Peake and Smith, yes, but Anderson can catch and had a great catch radius.  IMHO, there will def be a Fitz-Anderson connection.

I agree with this. No way Chan isn't excited about having a WR to exploit coverage on Marshall & Decker. Anderson takes the place of Smith, who wasn't quite ready, ran only one route & didnt fight for the ball. Anderson runs better routes, has soft hands & should be open a lot on Sunday. They didn't cut Thompkins & Ross for S & Gs, Anderson is the next man up.

Archived