Jets 2016 Season Predictions Thread

T0mShane

Your guess as to the Jets 2016-17 record  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Season record for the 2016 Jets

7 hours ago, Warfish said:

11-5?  Pure fantasy IMO.  No chance we're that much better than last year vs. a stronger schedule.  Even I can't see Fitz winning 11 games.

Every answer in this thread is a guess. Including yours. Are you expecting me to argue that my hypothetical outcome is more/less of a fantasy that's yours? 

Your expectation that I'd bite is the real fantasy.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Lith said:

A lot of optimism in this thread.  Too bad I am not feeling it.  I see 8-8.  I don't have a lot of faith in Fitz and our paper thin OL scares me.  Going to be awfully tough to beat some of the tough defenses we go up against this year.

If we can manage to beat Cincy this Sunday and prove that we can beat a playoff team at home, which good teams have to do, my outlook may change.  But for now, I am saying 8-8.

This is pretty much where I'm at.  I still cannot get past the team blowing a cupcake schedule last season.

Hopefully they change my mind.

8-8.

Though schedule coupled with a key injury here and there can make this year a long season. 

I don't think that this is a super bowl contending team so I won't be too disappointed if they don't make the playoffs again.

All I hope for is that this team CONTENDS game in game out.

I hope that they prove me wrong.

9 hours ago, SAR I said:

That's last year with last yWalkedschedule.

Even if you be lieve this team has the same talent as last year (I don't, but different conversation) for all intents and purposes we open the season in the playoffs:

CIN (12 Win AFC North Champion)

@BUF (Beat us soundly 2x)

@KC (11 Win Wildcard)

SEA (10 Win Wildcard)

@PIT (10 Win Wildcard)

@ARI (13 Win AFC North Champion)

5 out of 6 games against playoff teams, 1 of the games against a team that owned us and it's their nationally televised home opener on the road with 2 days rest.

Like I said, you want the 2016 Jets to be a playoff team?  They already are.  They open the year with 6 straight playoff games and have to win 3 of them.  Let's see if they can.

SAR I

The Bengals played the Bills in Buffalo last season. Walked through them like a shallow pond.

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

I was expecting you to intellectually defend a predicted 11 win season.

I left disappointed.

Cheap shots, while I appreciate them immensely, aren't going to transform me into one of the mouth breathers you're used to dragging into your cave and devouring.

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

A new year. We've talked about this a thousand times. Who thought a year ago that Carolina who in 2014 was under .500 was going to lose one reg season game and go to the SB. We'll see how it goes. If we're good we'll win a lot of games. 

Yeah, but that was our season last year.  You know, 4 became 10 like 2 become 1, twas a Spice Girls kinda thing.

SAR I

Schedule is tougher, but the roster is more talented and deeper than I've seen in a long, long time.  Thus, over the long haul of a season when injuries pile up and fatigue sets in, I think we'll have advantages many other teams lack. 

Thus, I'll go with the exact same record as last year:  10-6.  Only this time, we'll be in the playoffs.

I got us at 9-7 and making the playoffs . I also got us having a losing record coming out of the 1st 6 . I also have us having a starting QB without debate in 2017 based on the finish of this season and it won't be Fitzpatrick  or Hackenberg .

Jets Roll :

That is all . 

Bearish on the team for a number of reasons, most of them mentioned in this thread already: CB after Revis, 2/5's of the OL, etc., and not being nearly as sold on Fitz as some folks here. 

I think the biggest reason is that I see them (re)building more than win now. I think Mac has them in the right direction adding a lot of speed and youth, but with youth comes learning curves and mistakes. I expect to see a lot of that funky 4-3 (two ILBs, one OLB with the opposite DE playing outside the tackle) to maximize the DL talent, but that won't be available week one - which is a critical game. When even Bowles makes a comment like, "we don't play the first six games at once," you know he's aware of just how tough this schedule is compared to last year's easiest in the league. 

Won't predict any injuries, but yeah, Jets are really vulnerable at a couple spots. 

I see a team on the right track, but one that takes a couple steps backwards in the W-L column this year. 

22 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I'm not sweating the schedule. Every year there is a high percentage of overturn in how good teams are. 

Hardest 2 games on our schedule are there every year. We usually win one of them. Beat the Pats twice, and sky is the limit.

This team has 13-14 win talent. I just don't thing everything will break right. 9 wins is worst case. 14 is best case. I choose 11 as most likely case.

I just worry about our O-line.  Their max potential is not that high imo. Less worried about our secondary, our D Line and schemes can make up for a lot of that if needed.

I think it all depends on close games. We do have a tough schedule but should be in every game. So I think the high bar is 10 Ws and the playoffs. But if we lose those close games (that a playoff team wins) then lower than that and no playoffs. So I'll predict we win some of those games and get that 10-6. Really when you look at all facets of our team we can compete with anyone. 

12 hours ago, SAR I said:

I'll be there on Sunday with bells on praying you're right, Brother Jetster. 

SAR I

It's all about taking care of the ball & not making mistakes. Teams are so close in talent in the NFL that's the way it works. Bowles talks about it all of the time, "we have to take care of the ball". Besides Brady it's the #1 reason the Pats are so consistent, they rarely are the team that makes the mistake.

My confidence stems from Fitz having a full arsonal of weapons. 2nd year in the system, Brandon & Decker are studs, if Enunwa is 15% better + a 4th WR emerges (Anderson), + Forte & Powell, I like Fitz chances. He's not great but he knows where everyone should be, unlike Geno. We saw last year how much Powell meant to this offense & Fitz success. I believe we won every game in which Powell was available. The Jets let Ivory walk because he made the offense too predictable & he was constantly hurt.

So, my thought process is, can we stop Green & the Cincy running game? I think we can. Can Cincy stop Marshall, Decker, Enunwa, Anderson, Forte, Powell? That's the best offensive weapons the Jets have assembled in decades! Parcells had Dedrick Ward starting. We'll see on Sunday. My prediction is that Cincy D will be VERY TOUGH, but with our upgraded punter & speed on special teams, we'll win the field position battle & take advantage as they tire & blow a coverage here or there when their pass rush slows a bit as the game wears on. I also think the crowd noise will be a factor for their newer WRs in Lafell & the rookie. It's harder to change plays as time winds down, it leads to rushing snaps, it allows the Jets defense to get better jumps off the ball & it leads to penalties that puts them in tougher down & distance situations that play into Bowles blitzing packages. Thank god we're playing this game at home, I would hate our chances in Cincy on opening day.

I'm going 8-8 but could see them going as low as 6-10 or as high as 10-6.

As much as I love the guy, Fitz isnt very good and I cant see him duplicating last season.  He had a ton of lucky breaks/throw it up for grabs type plays that I just cant see him getting that lucky again.  I see him turning the ball over a lot this year vs. a 10x harder schedule, especially on D.  We know what he does vs. good Defensive teams and it aint pretty.

The OL scares the sh*t out of me.  No depth.  No RG, literally havent even named a RT.  

RB now is a question mark.  Who knows what Forte will be.  He looks slow and plodding so far.  But he's a nice option out of the backfield.  But they have no depth past Powell. We saw how that ****ed us last year because Fitz isnt good enough to carry a team with no running game.

CB is a huge question mark past Revis.  If he gets injured, oh boy, we're in trouble.  With all the cuts at the position, do they even have enough for week 1?  

Bowles is putting a ton of faith into 3 LB'ers with literally zero experience.  That scares the sh*t out of me, especially because Jenkins has been less than inspiring. 

And plus, I picked up the new Madden last week and the Jets are the 2nd worst ranked team on the game behind the Browns.  

21 hours ago, SAR I said:

That's last year with last year's schedule.

Even if you believe this team has the same talent as last year (I don't, but different conversation) for all intents and purposes we open the season in the playoffs:

CIN (12 Win AFC North Champion)

@BUF (Beat us soundly 2x)

@KC (11 Win Wildcard)

SEA (10 Win Wildcard)

@PIT (10 Win Wildcard)

@ARI (13 Win AFC North Champion)

5 out of 6 games against playoff teams, 1 of the games against a team that owned us and it's their nationally televised home opener on the road with 2 days rest.

Like I said, you want the 2016 Jets to be a playoff team?  They already are.  They open the year with 6 straight playoff games and have to win 3 of them.  Let's see if they can.

SAR I

and this is this years team, and you're using last years schedule to predict this year.  you can't discount the jets play last year because of the schedule and then go an tell me how hard this year will be based off last years schedule.

21 hours ago, Jetster said:

Buffalo beat us SOUNDLY 2 Xs? Seriously, you have a much different definition of soundly. Jets couldn't finish in Buffalo but winning 6 games in a row in today's NFL is very difficult. So many things have to go your way.

Jets definitely should have won the 1st game at home if not for that idiot Bobby April testing out Devin Smith on kick returns. They wasted a GREAT game by Mo Wilkerson. The addition of the threat of both Forte & Powell in the passing game will easily cover the Ivory loss. Gaileys offense has to have that threat from the backfield, we found that out during our 5 game winning streak & the fact that we lost every game Powell couldn't suit up.

In general although I predict 10-6 I do think those more skeptical may have a point depending on the first six games.  But I would think even the most skeptical will not outright predict the Jets lose both Buffalo games again this season.  They have a good running game, but will need to upgrade the performance from Taylor.  And there's no good reason to think their D will play significantly better than last year's.

Of course it's not a given that they beat Miami twice again.  Once again despite the tough road games out of the division, the key to the season will be the in-division games.  First Buffalo has huge implications.  A loss there will make me question my overall prediction big time.

15 minutes ago, heymangold said:

and this is this years team, and you're using last years schedule to predict this year.  you can't discount the jets play last year because of the schedule and then go an tell me how hard this year will be based off last years schedule.

One game at a time (that's how the team has to look at it, but not us). Beat Cincy & have Sheldon Richardson back for Buffalo. Love our chances to go 2-0. No Darius on that Dline, huge advantage for the Jets offense.

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Schedule is tougher, but the roster is more talented and deeper than I've seen in a long, long time.  Thus, over the long haul of a season when injuries pile up and fatigue sets in, I think we'll have advantages many other teams lack. 

Thus, I'll go with the exact same record as last year:  10-6.  Only this time, we'll be in the playoffs.

Yeah, that's basically the way I see it, too.  10-6, but that requires Fitzpatrick stays healthy.  Otherwise this one goes right down the toilet.

58 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

I just worry about our O-line.  Their max potential is not that high imo. Less worried about our secondary, our D Line and schemes can make up for a lot of that if needed.

No question, the OL is suspect until proven otherwise. I think this is why Kellen Davis has a job here, while Amaro doesn't. Gailey schemes around what he has. He has WRs. He has RBs. He doesn't have TEs. So, all these JN folks quibbling over how we need a TE right now, or Mac has failed (stupid) are ignoring the reality that is our OL. Yes, it would be lovely to have a pass catching TE to fold it, but it's not mandatory. To me, priority #1 is that Fitz has time to get the ball to his top 3 targets. Marshall, Decker and Forte. If that means keeping a stone-handed TE and using him in pass-pro like an extra OLineman for a majority of downs... then that's what I want to see.

If the OL can get the job done, then the door opens for us to add receiving TE plays to what we're doing. For now, given our strengths, I think the solution is the hybrid role (Enunwa) + an inline blocker (Kellen). That's still quite a bit of opportunity for the TE position, but maybe more outside the box than the whiners can get their heads around. I dunno.

40 minutes ago, heymangold said:

Im reminded of when Geno was a rookie, he took us to 8-8.  I firmly predicted, with a year under his belt, we would be 10-6. We started strong , up to halftime at Green bay.

Well..that was last year, this was this year was my saying too. Didnt work out so well.  BUT, Im going to enjoy the season. I like MACC  and Bowles and only 5 to 7 teams are TRULY set long term at QB.  

9-7

This could be an NFL-best defense if Revis is back in even decent form. But not sure even with the weapons this offense can win a 34-27 game against the Pats when it matters, and worried they might again give away games to teams they should spank like the Bills. Seen a lot of good with this CS, but some of the same dumb ass mistakes this preseason-dumb playcalls, lack of strategy, failure to grasp the clock. And those kinds of things are the difference between a playoff team and a non playoff team. 

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

It's all about taking care of the ball & not making mistakes. Teams are so close in talent in the NFL that's the way it works. Bowles talks about it all of the time, "we have to take care of the ball". Besides Brady it's the #1 reason the Pats are so consistent, they rarely are the team that makes the mistake.

My confidence stems from Fitz having a full arsonal of weapons. 2nd year in the system, Brandon & Decker are studs, if Enunwa is 15% better + a 4th WR emerges (Anderson), + Forte & Powell, I like Fitz chances. He's not great but he knows where everyone should be, unlike Geno. We saw last year how much Powell meant to this offense & Fitz success. I believe we won every game in which Powell was available. The Jets let Ivory walk because he made the offense too predictable & he was constantly hurt.

So, my thought process is, can we stop Green & the Cincy running game? I think we can. Can Cincy stop Marshall, Decker, Enunwa, Anderson, Forte, Powell? That's the best offensive weapons the Jets have assembled in decades! Parcells had Dedrick Ward starting. We'll see on Sunday. My prediction is that Cincy D will be VERY TOUGH, but with our upgraded punter & speed on special teams, we'll win the field position battle & take advantage as they tire & blow a coverage here or there when their pass rush slows a bit as the game wears on. I also think the crowd noise will be a factor for their newer WRs in Lafell & the rookie. It's harder to change plays as time winds down, it leads to rushing snaps, it allows the Jets defense to get better jumps off the ball & it leads to penalties that puts them in tougher down & distance situations that play into Bowles blitzing packages. Thank god we're playing this game at home, I would hate our chances in Cincy on opening day.

Good post, makes me feel better.

That said, if you go by Vegas odds the Jets will open the year 0-6 and that makes me feel worse.

SAR I

1 hour ago, heymangold said:

Sort of hypocritical of me, but let me clarify.  We use last year's performance as a barometer for this year until any real games are played.  We play this game until Monday night when all teams have one in the books and we can start to gauge this year based on real on-field experience. 

If we look at last year, the Jets had a record setting offense but lost every tough road game to a quality opponent.  My opinion, it will take a Herculean effort to put up the same offensive numbers that we did last year, we'd have to be a quantum leap better to do that against this type of schedule, and I don't think we've improved that much.  Yes, we have a great offense, but it's not 30% or 40% better than last year which is what it will take to keep up with the likes of the Steelers, Cardinals, Seahawks, and Chiefs who can run up the score.  And on D, it's all about the LB's and the CB's, the jury is definitely out on our youth movement.

If you look at our opponents and assume they are at the same level as last year (perhaps with injuries a few are slightly weakened) and then you look at the Jets as about the same level as last year (lost Snacks, Brick, and Ivory, gained replacements who are injury-prone) and then factor in a disheartening start like 1-5 or 2-4, you wind up with a 7-9 hypothesis which is where I'm at.

Two things:  First, a hot 2-0 start and we can get to 10 wins.  Second, no matter 10-6 or 7-9 I love what Maccagnan and Bowles are doing and wouldn't have it any differently as we are rebuilding the right way, getting youth in there despite the high win-now expectations, love it.

SAR I

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Sort of hypocritical of me, but let me clarify.  We use last year's performance as a barometer for this year until any real games are played.  We play this game until Monday night when all teams have one in the books and we can start to gauge this year based on real on-field experience. 

If we look at last year, the Jets had a record setting offense but lost every tough road game to a quality opponent.  My opinion, it will take a Herculean effort to put up the same offensive numbers that we did last year, we'd have to be a quantum leap better to do that against this type of schedule, and I don't think we've improved that much.  Yes, we have a great offense, but it's not 30% or 40% better than last year which is what it will take to keep up with the likes of the Steelers, Cardinals, Seahawks, and Chiefs who can run up the score.  And on D, it's all about the LB's and the CB's, the jury is definitely out on our youth movement.

If you look at our opponents and assume they are at the same level as last year (perhaps with injuries a few are slightly weakened) and then you look at the Jets as about the same level as last year (lost Snacks, Brick, and Ivory, gained replacements who are injury-prone) and then factor in a disheartening start like 1-5 or 2-4, you wind up with a 7-9 hypothesis which is where I'm at.

Two things:  First, a hot 2-0 start and we can get to 10 wins.  Second, no matter 10-6 or 7-9 I love what Maccagnan and Bowles are doing and wouldn't have it any differently as we are rebuilding the right way, getting youth in there despite the high win-now expectations, love it.

SAR I

SAR I agree on almost everything but lets not forget this team has been rebuilding for 47 years and counting. 

57 minutes ago, Jetster said:

One game at a time (that's how the team has to look at it, but not us). Beat Cincy & have Sheldon Richardson back for Buffalo. Love our chances to go 2-0. No Darius on that Dline, huge advantage for the Jets offense.

I agree completely these two games are very winnable. I got the Jets at 11-5 this season

10-6, but I think starting 2-0 would be huuuuugggeee. I swear our roster is one of the best in football. If fitzy can manage and not be forced to do too much, we should be very well off. Our defense is still easily a top 5 unit, and will be playing faster this year, especially at linebacker and also considering it is the 2nd year under Bowles' scheme. Because of that our defense will keep us in all the games, including the first 6. With the talent and veteran leadership our offense possesses we should be able to make plays throughout the season, regardless of Fitzpatrick's skill set at quarterback. Oh yeah, and our special teams for once doesn't suck.

I can see a high of 12-13 wins.  Similar to the gauntlet the 2014 Patriots went through in the middle of their season, I could see the Jets being galvanized by their opening schedule through Baltimore.  Cruising into the bye week at 8-2 and making a serious Superbowl run.

I can see a low of 6-8 wins if Fitzpatrick does not reasonably replicate last season.

23 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

SAR I agree on almost everything but lets not forget this team has been rebuilding for 47 years and counting. 

Yes, but rebuilding incorrectly since I became a fan in 1980.

Let's look at the Woody Johnson era, since 2000 every time we say we are in a rebuild coming off of a losing season we bring in a new head coach, we patch together a team just hoping to go 6-10, and we wind up going 10-6 and making the playoffs.  Now, on paper that sounds good, right?  Why not have a group of young overachievers getting some great postseason experience, awesome.

Except that's not what happens. 

Each and every time we have a successful Year 1, the rebuild gets cancelled, we load up on old free agents, we declare ourselves a win-now team, and we crap the bed.  Then we're in limbo.  No talent from the draft we just traded away, no new free agents because the ones from last year were so expensive, Year 2 we take a step back.  By Year 3 we are at a crossroads.  Hey, the new HC got us to the playoffs in his first year so he must be good, right?  Hey, let's draft two quarterbacks and start one, right?  Oh, better get an experienced veteran QB in here, right?

What I like about Maccagnan is that we are rebuilding the right way, finally.  The biggest win this franchise has had in the past 15 years is the cut down to 53.  Why?  Because as of Saturday we are starting more young players than any other team in the NFL despite this "win now" attitude and despite the veteran core of Marshall/Decker/Revis/Mangold who might be upset.  I am sooooo happy that we are chock-full of young players, I could care less if we go 5-11 this year, we have already had a great season.

SAR I

Archived