Cousins/Petty Comparision

kevinc855

5 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

You're point is exactly why Fitz is starting. Petty isn't the future and they know it. He will be cut after the season.

If neither Petty or Fitz will be on the roster next year you default back to who gives you the best chance to win. And they clearly believe it's Fitz.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Fitz isn't the future either. If Petty is going to get cut in the offseason, the Jets have some people int he front office that will be cut as well.

You keep 4 QBs and get ride of 3 of them a year later? Yeah, scouts, GMs and coaches would have a lot of explaining to do for a fiasco like that.

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

I never said anything about Petty being bad or anything along those lines. Also, one reporter mocking Petty to the Saints in the first (which is utterly ridiculous) doesn't change the fact that he was a 4th rounder in a horrendously shallow QB class, so no, what I said is not "fundamentally wrong". Any draft board that had Petty in the first round is 125% flawed and not worth the time of day.  By the way, the Saints could have drafted Petty...multiple times...and went with Garrett Grayson instead, who's off the team already. 

Look, I'm all for optimism, but I'm keeping it realistic.  The team has watched this kid for 2 years on the field, in the classroom, and in practice.  They likely know he isn't the lightning in a bottle they thought he would be or else he'd be playing. We aren't stashing "the next big thing". We're stashing a guy who has, so far, proved he is no better than a floundering Fitzpatrick when put in live action.

In essence I don't disagree with you at all.

I do however find it reprehensible that the Jets have had four QBs on the roster this year and the one that they "believe" gives them the best chance to win, in Fitz, is the worst starting QB in the entire NFL.  And that even a modicum of reflection reveals that the path that the Jets are on will literally put them at the same place next year unless Petty or Hack turn out to be franchise level QBs.

Utter Madness!!

This is why some of us said roll the dice and acquire through trade a Glennon, or someone like him, in case Fitz fell on his face if you were going to bring him back. 

The Jets also should have let Geno go, if they weren't going to let him compete for the starting position, through either by releasing him or trading him, because clearly the organization displayed absolutely no confidence in Geno by the fact that they just handed Fitz the starting job. 

This isn't seconded guessing, most of the posters out here thought this was a path of disaster before Fitz was signed and the fact that the Jets clearly haven't planned for a potential Fitz implosion is just crazy.

Think Dallas drafts Dak Prescott even with Romo starting and when Romo goes down they get Sanchez as a back up.  It is called preparation. 

While the Jets essentially roll the dice based on Fitzpatrick!!!

So in my mind I argue that they can't be this stupid because to argue otherwise would be just to painful...... :) 

18 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Fitz isn't the future either. If Petty is going to get cut in the offseason, the Jets have some people int he front office that will be cut as well.

You keep 4 QBs and get ride of 3 of them a year later? Yeah, scouts, GMs and coaches would have a lot of explaining to do for a fiasco like that.

It is called anti-planning.......

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This is where it'd be nice to have a real live President of Football Operations kick Bowles' and Macc's door in and explain to these wayward children why Fitzpatrick can't see the field again this year.

Too bad no politics... the analogous replies could have been gold.

I'd like to point out that Aaron Rodgers first played in a game in his second or third season (when the Packers were having a year similiar to ours) he looked horrible and complety lost. He was deemed a bust. His preseason games were also concerning.

Petty didn't look anywhere near that bad. This is Bowles being hard-headed and too old school. Petty isn't ready to be a starter. The problem is either is Fitz, not this year. He isn't starter material. Just give Petty the reps. 

"We feel, ability-wise, he can definitely be a quality No. 2," Maccagnan said. "The rest is kind of up to him. He has the physical ability to potentially be a starting-caliber quarterback, but he still has to do it on the field and in the preseason, so we can kind of see where he's at. We're excited to work with him."

Quote is from 1/16

sounds to to me like petty is right where they thought he'd be in his development. He hasn't wowed but doesn't mean there still isn't some hope. 

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

I'm not saying our GM has done a good job - in fact I think he's been terrible...But I do believe that will be the reality.  We're going to sign another Journeyman to start next year and Hack will be the back up....carry only 2 QB's next year.  

You can't keep Petty as a 3 again and you certainlty can't keep Hack still not dressing.  

11 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I'm not saying our GM has done a good job - in fact I think he's been terrible...But I do believe that will be the reality.  We're going to sign another Journeyman to start next year and Hack will be the back up....carry only 2 QB's next year.  

You can't keep Petty as a 3 again and you certainlty can't keep Hack still not dressing.  

I don't think 2 QBs work given all the injuries.  The issue with the Jets is that is a QB was completely undeveloped should go on the practice squad, and presumably no one signs them to their active roster because they do not have the room for a developmental QB.  The Jets drafted a developmental QB in the second round who they did not want to lose, so they needed to carry him on the active roster.  They also carried 4 TEs.   A team should carry a 4th developmental QB on the practice squad.

The Jets are a team in disarray and confusion.   Hopefully there is a new plan for 2017.

12 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Live outside DC and I watch every Skins game because it's always on. Kirk Cousins went toe to toe with Aaron Rodgers in a freaking twister and proved Olivia Munn is killing him. But I digress, Kirk Cousins is turning into a franchise QB right before our very eyes. Just look forward to the day, no matter the name, we can at least delude ourselves into thinking we got a franchise QB in the making. At this point I feel like We are walking into a dog show with a freaking goldfish. 

I said last year Cousins was an up & comer. Now he's my starter in fantasy, 27.5 points last Sunday. Guy throws a beautiful spiral.

Gonna be a top 5 QB, very quickly.

"YOU LIKE THAT!"

12 minutes ago, varjet said:

I don't think 2 QBs work given all the injuries.  The issue with the Jets is that is a QB was completely undeveloped should go on the practice squad, and presumably no one signs them to their active roster because they do not have the room for a developmental QB.  The Jets drafted a developmental QB in the second round who they did not want to lose, so they needed to carry him on the active roster.  They also carried 4 TEs.   A team should carry a 4th developmental QB on the practice squad.

The Jets are a team in disarray and confusion.   Hopefully there is a new plan for 2017.

I could be wrong but I believe there are plenty of teams that carry 2 QB's....I see no reason to keep a guy on the roster that can't supplant the worst QB in the NFL on a 3-7 team.  He can NOT be on the roster next year.

32 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I said last year Cousins was an up & comer. Now he's my starter in fantasy, 27.5 points last Sunday. Guy throws a beautiful spiral.

Gonna be a top 5 QB, very quickly.

"YOU LIKE THAT!"

Just proof of the inherent randomness of finding a franchise QB in the draft. Skins trade the house to move up for RG III, he gives them a good year and then poof he turns into broken rubbish. They take Cousins the same year in the fourth as an afterthought and now they more than likely will have ten years of top notch QB play. I wonder if Cousins has all the clips criticizing the pick in his commode to read every day as motivation? 

15 hours ago, TheMagicRat said:

If they are giving up on Petty already I find that very discouraging. Many thought it would take him 2-3 years to be ready for the NFL...it hasn't even been two yet. 

I agree with this, just like every other Jet fan I too am desperate to find our franchise QB.  However, if we take a step back and really think about it Petty was a 4th rd. pick for a reason.  The physical skills are there (big arm, quick release) but he needs to learn how to play in the NFL if you watch his Gruden QB camp you can really see how simple the offense they ran at Baylor was I mean the guy really didn't even have to make reads.  I'm not saying he's going to be the guy but I'm also not ready to give up on him after a year and half.  I was mad when I first hear he wasn't going to start against New England but the truth is we still have 5 games left after that, his development is not going to be impeded whether he starts 5 or 6 games this year.  I just hope at some point either him or Hack get some real game experience and in the back of my mind I do wonder if they skip Bryce this year and go right to Hack in a few weeks which could explain what they're waiting for.

46 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Just proof of the inherent randomness of finding a franchise QB in the draft. Skins trade the house to move up for RG III, he gives them a good year and then poof he turns into broken rubbish. They take Cousins the same year in the fourth as an afterthought and now they more than likely will have ten years of top notch QB play. I wonder if Cousins has all the clips criticizing the pick in his commode to read every day as motivation? 

I have no idea what the Skins salary cap is at but if there is any way the Jets could steal Cousins they should do what they have to do!

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

And then if Petty were to become a mid-tier starter the refrain out here will be "we couldn't have known how good he was going to turn out."

1 minute ago, Charlie Brown said:

And then if Petty were to become a mid-tier starter the refrain out here will be "we couldn't have known how good he was going to turn out."

It's so silly to say that we can't just let Petty--or whatever young QB--start. Teams do it all the time. And sometimes they win. Because, really, a QB is somewhat a product of the talent surrounding him. Yeah, after a few years, in the same system, a QB can lift up an offense. But if you don't have the supporting cast, he just isn't going to make much difference either way.

Cousins sucked so long because they basically didn't have an OL and the Skins changed offensive systems every couple of years. He's a "nothing special" guy who you don't trade for, you just give YOUR "nothing special" guy a chance to play.

17 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

sleeper may be try to get Garrapolo from NE. Has potential, studied under Brady and knows NE.

17 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Ok Jimmy G is a good option. 

Are we getting an OL that can hold on every play, a prototypical TE beast, and Ernie Adams with him? If not, then hard pass. 

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Petty is not going anywhere! Not giving up on him after 2 years even if he doesn't show much this year. Hack will never see the field, you cant teach accuracy! Sign Glennon and let the other 2 fight it out for backup!

16 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This is where it'd be nice to have a real live President of Football Operations kick Bowles' and Macc's door in and explain to these wayward children why Fitzpatrick can't see the field again this year.

But if that was done, then what would be left for Woody Johnson to do, other than write checks? His wisdom would be wasted.

Think before you post next time.

19 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

I'm still confused by why Petty isn't starting and given real games to develop in. I am the first to say he looked like garbage in his first game, but with that said IT WAS his first game.

My good friend is a skins fan and mentioned that Cousins was also a 4th round pick. He also did not initially start and MANY had big doubts. He had a couple seasons of ok play but eventually grew into a good starting QB, not top 5 but he is a stable and good QB. He has a lot of the same qualities as Bryce, big arm and accurate. I think Bryce like Kirk needs to time to develop and there will be bumps in the road. These next 6 games are a perfect chance for him to make those mistakes and learn. I am truly dumb founded by Bowles.

I am not a "lose out" nimrod. I want to WIN, WIN and WIN! I don't see how the worst QB in the league (Fitz) gives you the best chance to win. I just don't get it.

Fitz is not the worst. he's 33rd. Any given week there could be 31 to 63 QBs on a roster that have fewer stats than he does...

17 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Like, an adult who's been around the league a long time. A guy who can help guide the two young whelps we hired through these times where they're both on a path to get each other fired. A Bill Parcells, if you will.

The closest thing we've had to that under Woody was Mangini...and he wanted to kill him. Unless Woody becomes the drummer for JD and the Straight Shot's, we're probably ****ed in that regard.

The one thing this organization can't seem to get right is the QB position. It's been a generation since we had a great QB. I wouldn't put stock in the fact that Petty is not good enough to start or be an NFL QB. Just not buying it. He would have been cut before the season if he was not a prospect. I want to see this kid play a consistent 10 games minimal before I cast a vote on his career. He needs game time experience and this season is over and wins this season mean absolutely nothing.

20 hours ago, harts724 said:

Petty is not going anywhere! Not giving up on him after 2 years even if he doesn't show much this year. Hack will never see the field, you cant teach accuracy! Sign Glennon and let the other 2 fight it out for backup!

Petty will not be on the roster next year.  They may stick him on the practice squad because he knows the offense...but I don't believe they even view him as a back-u[p at this point.  The only way he plays this year is if Woody folds to the public pressure - which is likely.  But will not be on the roster next year.

Archived