Bowles: Fitz is Still the Starter…Still

JetNation

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

They can't possibly have any clue if Petty can play or not, you NEVER learn about a guy until he gets his shot as a starter for at least a limited amount of time.  Hell half the great QB's in this league were found because they got a true shot due to injury not because they looked so damn good in practice.

Beer, I fought with you pretty hard about something recently.  Don't recall what.  But the above post is right on the money. 

I honestly think this has nothing to do with Petty or what his prospects are. for 2 years Bowles has shown a stubborn, unflinching blind allegiance to Fitz. He has demonstrated this over and over again. Bowles is a weak minded HC that does not have control of his team, and in addition to this blind allegiance, is afraid he cannot manage the veterans reaction to a switch. He is pureLy making this decision on emotion, weakness and an effort to not lose his job. he could care less about developing the team long term. This decision is not about Petty at all. it does also suggest he was forced to start Geno. Which hopefully means Woody is ready to dump this loser.

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

I honestly think this has nothing to do with Petty or what his prospects are. for 2 years Bowles has shown a stubborn, unflinching blind allegiance to Fitz. He has demonstrated this over and over again. Bowles is a weak minded HC that does not have control of his team, and in addition to this blind allegiance, is afraid he cannot manage the veterans reaction to a switch. He is pureLy making this decision on emotion, weakness and an effort to not lose his job. he could care less about developing the team long term. This decision is not about Petty at all. it does also suggest he was forced to start Geno. Which hopefully means Woody is ready to dump this loser.

Exactly. I also think he is protecting his career. Fitz gives him a better chance to win and look good as a coach. Bowles doesn't want to get blown out on national TV. 

They either don't care or realize how stupid they are making themselves look. They make the unusual move of carrying 4 QB's this year. We now find out that at least 1 and maybe 2 of them, according to this creative and rather brilliant CS, are useless. WTF ? Wipe them out, All of them. Except Mac, who obviously has zero power.

44 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Cleveland is at least trying to get better.  They play different QBs.  

They also have 50mil in cap space.  50mil!

Jets have 500k. 

We should all be jealous of Brown fans.

Only because none of their QBs can survive more than two games without injury,

Until the Browns show that they can use resources correctly in any way (Jets have in some ways) then I will  not be jealous of Browns fans

Just now, Ken Shroy said:

They either don't care or realize how stupid they are making themselves look. They make the unusual move of carrying 4 QB's this year. We now find out that at least 1 and maybe 2 of them, according to this creative and rather brilliant CS, are useless. WTF ? Wipe them out, All of them. Except Mac, who obviously has zero power.

Once again, back to power structure. Horrible

Look Fitz was not the problem yesterday. He played the way he should have in every game: He was efficient against the best team in the NFL so far. Of course he did fumble at the end of the game and failed to bring us back. And most Qbs wouldn't have either. We all know he's not on that level even though statistically he has brought teams from behind and won games: they showed a stat during the game. Look Bowles said he doesn't just give away jobs. And Fitz did nothing to lose the job yesterday. But in Dec. Petty will get a few starts. I'm looking forward to beating Indy and the last I looked the tickets for that game were starting at $6,You believe it. 

Look Fitz was not the problem yesterday. He played the way he should have in every game: He was efficient against the best team in the NFL so far. Of course he did fumble at the end of the game and failed to bring us back. And most Qbs wouldn't have either. We all know he's not on that level even though statistically he has brought teams from behind and won games: they showed a stat during the game. Look Bowles said he doesn't just give away jobs. And Fitz did nothing to lose the job yesterday. But in Dec. Petty will get a few starts. I'm looking forward to beating Indy and the last I looked the tickets for that game were starting at $6,You believe it. 

Excellent post.

1 hour ago, JetNation said:

Despite his on-field struggles and pending free agency, Ryan Fitzpatrick will remain the Jets starting quarterback.

By Glenn Naughton

Believe it or not Jets fans, with their season even more over than it was 24 hours ago, head coach Todd Bowles is sticking with Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Despite having just five games left to evaluate youngsters Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg, Fitzpatrick, who will no longer be a Jet after season’s end, will get the nod to lead the Jets offense at MetLife Stadium next week on Monday night football when the Jets face the Colts.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

TAsVkmbjSxg

Click here to read the full story...

I'm a die-hard fan and haven't missed a game in years ... went to Buffalo when they were 1-10, during their 1-15 debacle in '96 ... even watched them from my hospital bed three years back, two days after open heart surgery ... but they are making it quite tempting for me to take a break from the misery  

i don't know why they're going with fitz.  it seems to me , though, that it's about loyalty to the veterans on the team.  bowles desparately wants to win a game(s) and, in all honesty, fitz does give them a better chance.  also, yeah everyone wants to see petty, except maybe the team.  if petty starts, it means they're tanking.  and if they're tanking, if you think wilk or revis were mailing it up to now, you will see it, big time.  so bowles isn't just concerned about seeing what petty can do, he's also trying to see what the other players do.  the best thing is to just watch it play out and hope they do much better next season.

and, at this point, i wouldn't be surprised if fitz was on the team next season and even started.

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I think it's pride. If Fitz completely sh*t the bed yesterday, I dont think he would have had a choice

Then there would have been a plethora of excuses for Fitz. Oh the pats D , bad Oline , 3 MPH wind , no running game. Darelle Revis trpping over his wallet on the field. Mo showing for the game but thinking it didn't start to 8:25 , the punter. or just plain ol Todd's - he gives us the best chance to win nonsense.

4 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i don't know why they're going with fitz.  it seems to me , though, that it's about loyalty to the veterans on the team.  bowles desparately wants to win a game(s) and, in all honesty, fitz does give them a better chance.  also, yeah everyone wants to see petty, except maybe the team.  if petty starts, it means they're tanking.  and if they're tanking, if you think wilk or revis were mailing it up to now, you will see it, big time.  so bowles isn't just concerned about seeing what petty can do, he's also trying to see what the other players do.  the best thing is to just watch it play out and hope they do much better next season.

and, at this point, i wouldn't be surprised if fitz was on the team next season and even started.

If players are quitting and even Steve Young just said something similar on ESPN radio then that is on the HC!!!

That is the HC.  If he can't get buy in and a move away from the worst playing QB in the NFL then he can't be the HC, Period!!!!!!!!!!

Good Grief!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sucks but this is a lost season, and Petty, nearly two years into his professional career, still doesn't understand basic coverage schemes. His ceiling is backup QB. 

Hack, well they aren't going to put him in this year. 

I'm pissed about this season, and the state of the franchise looks pretty bleak right now, but I'm not in favor of firing Bowles nor Maccagnan no matter what happens the rest of this season. 

The early records of parcells and the bellichicken are tabulated below.  both coaches had early bad seasons.  i believe parcells first season was due, in part , to qb issues.  the bellichicken had qb's in kosar and then vinnie.  of course he started out with bledsoe when he joined the patsies and then moved on to brady.  the point is people tend to forget it takes some time to build up a team and sometimes what's seen on the field isn't any indication of what's going on behind the scenes.  is bowles the coach the jets need?  no telling just yet.  he brought some dogs to the dance and now he's stuck with them until the end of the season.

Bill Parcells

Playoffs   Challenges  
Year Age Tm Lg G W L T W-L% G plyf W plyf L plyf W-L% Rank Num Won Notes
1983 42 New York Giants NFL 16 3 12 1 .200         5      
1984 43 New York Giants NFL 16 9 7 0 .563 2 1 1 .500 2      
1985 44 New York Giants NFL 16 10 6 0 .625 2 1 1 .500 2      
1986 45 New York Giants NFL 16 14 2 0 .875 3 3 0 1.000 1     Super Bowl Champions
1987 46 New York Giants NFL 15 6 9 0 .400         5      
1988 47 New York Giants NFL 16 10 6 0 .625         2      
1989 48 New York Giants NFL 16 12 4 0 .750 1 0 1 .000 1      
1990 49 New York Giants NFL 16 13 3 0 .813 3 3 0 1.000 1     Super Bowl Champions

The Bellichicken

Playoffs   Challenges  
1991 39 Cleveland Browns NFL 16 6 10 0 .375         3      
1992 40 Cleveland Browns NFL 16 7 9 0 .438         3      
1993 41 Cleveland Browns NFL 16 7 9 0 .438         3      
1994 42 Cleveland Browns NFL 16 11 5 0 .688 2 1 1 .500 2      
1995 43 Cleveland Browns NFL 16 5 11 0 .313         4      
2000 48 New England Patriots NFL 16 5 11 0 .313         5 4 0  
2001 49 New England Patriots NFL 16 11 5 0 .688 3 3 0 1.000 1 6 3 Super Bowl Champions
2002 50 New England Patriots NFL 16 9 7 0 .563         2 9 5

Why is this so hard for you folks to understand  ?  Todd Bowles benched Fitzpatrick for Geno Smith but he won't bench him for Bryce Petty .  Yet you folks think Smith sucks and should be released .     1+1 will always equal 2 no matter what kind of schooling you folks were or are exposed too .

Mod Squad,

Can we have a thread that is unfiltered?  At least for language.  I'm at wit's end here trying to discuss this joke of a franchise without resorting to some bad language.  I just don't have the vocabulary skills to match how bad this team is.  

And it seems like it's gonna get worse.  God forbid a Fitz-led team actually gets a win.  lol, we're gonna need a place to vent after that POS hurts our draft/future. 

So for the sake of sanity and therapy for the board, if possible, we should have an unrestricted thread.

Thanks,

Our Collective Sanity

Fitz will be the starter in 2017 because he gives the Jets the best chance to win. So we will have Bowles and Fitz back next year. There is no other sane reasoning to this kind of clusterfuk decision.

Give Petty a shot at some real game time. WTF do they have to lose. He might actually surprise the CS. 

I'm a fuking cursed Jets fan.

I bet they though Brady was nothing down in New England behind Bledsoe and now look at em. It takes time and a real opportunity. Idc what anyone says you can't tell if a Qb is ready to lead a franchise by how he plays in practice. Apparently game play means nothing beacuse Fitz keeps playing. Let petty play 

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

The early records of parcells and the bellichicken are tabulated below.  both coaches had early bad seasons.  i believe parcells first season was due, in part , to qb issues.  the bellichicken had qb's in kosar and then vinnie.  of course he started out with bledsoe when he joined the patsies and then moved on to brady.  the point is people tend to forget it takes some time to build up a team and sometimes what's seen on the field isn't any indication of what's going on behind the scenes.  is bowles the coach the jets need?  no telling just yet.  he brought some dogs to the dance and now he's stuck with them until the end of the season.

Bill Parcells

Playoffs   Challenges  
1986 45 New York Giants NFL 16 14 2 0 .875 3 3 0 1.000 1     Super Bowl Champions
1990 49 New York Giants NFL 16 13 3 0 .813 3 3 0 1.000 1     Super Bowl Champions

The Bellichicken

Playoffs   Challenges  
2001 49 New England Patriots NFL 16 11 5 0 .688 3 3 0 1.000 1 6 3 Super Bowl Champions

Very true, but this is the salary cap era and this team is spent to the limit and loaded with first-round draft picks on defense.  Bowles' forte is supposed to be defense, specifically the secondary, and that's been the single worst unit on the team.

I cannot believe his job security is even being discussed, but if they lose out to go 3-13, it could bring a very quick ending to the Todd Bowles era.

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

Bill Parcells

Playoffs   Challenges  

The Bellichicken

Playoffs   Challenges  

I agree, it's too early to judge Todd Bowles. Just because some fans lack any intestinal fortitude is no reason to chop and change.

Your point of view is a welcome change from the avalanche of 1) Bowles Sucks 2) Fitz Sucks 3) It's Woody's fault.

4 hours ago, JetNation said:

Despite his on-field struggles and pending free agency, Ryan Fitzpatrick will remain the Jets starting quarterback.

By Glenn Naughton

Believe it or not Jets fans, with their season even more over than it was 24 hours ago, head coach Todd Bowles is sticking with Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Despite having just five games left to evaluate youngsters Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg, Fitzpatrick, who will no longer be a Jet after season’s end, will get the nod to lead the Jets offense at MetLife Stadium next week on Monday night football when the Jets face the Colts.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

TAsVkmbjSxg

Click here to read the full story...

Another useless draft pick in Petty . The madness continues .

Archived