Let's rationally assess the positives and negatives from Petty today:

jetscrazey

This is very important.
As long as Petty looks decent the rest of the way, the Jets don't have to reach for a QB in the upcoming NFL draft........

Yes we do!! It sickens me to think we will pass on a QB for Petty or Hack. Petty has a loooooong way to go. Hack can't even dress behind two of the worst QBs in the league. I'm sorry, I realize Dak plays behind a great line, but his poise and ability to go through reads makes me sick while watching Petty look clueless most of the time and Hack sitting in a ******* sweatshirt behind Bilal Powell on the depth chart. **** that, I'm 40 and we have not had a franchise level QB in my entire life. We need to draft a goddamn QB until we find one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Yes we do!! It sickens me to think we will pass on a QB for Petty or Hack. Petty has a loooooong way to go. Hack can't even dress behind two of the worst QBs in the league. I'm sorry, I realize Dak plays behind a great line, but his poise and ability to go through reads makes me sick while watching Petty look clueless most of the time and Hack sitting in a ******* sweatshirt behind Bilal Powell on the depth chart. **** that, I'm 40 and we have not had a franchise level QB in my entire life. We need to draft a goddamn QB until we find one.

Did you watch the second half? He was noticeably better in all areas in the second half. It was his second start ever, without a whole lot of preparation. Easy to go through reads when you have 5 seconds to throw. The OL was so bad he got hit almost instantly on some quick throws. 

59 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

First, the negatives:

-Yeah, the pick was bad.

-Took a lot of sacks.

-Sailed some close-range passes

-Got happy feet at times.

-Missed a bunch of open receivers.

The positives:

-After the early INT he bounced back and didn't turn it over afterwards

-23/35 is >65% completions.  Hell yeah.

-He embraced the check-down pass and didn't force it too much.

-Stretched the top of the defense better than any QB in recent years, which opened it up for Powell underneath.

-Showed the ability to stay patient despite playing from behind

-Looked natural and fluid taking snaps under center.

-This was all despite an atrocious o-line and a very young group of receivers.

Overall, the kid did ok today.  Let's see what he can do against stiffer competition in the coming weeks.

The Pick was a really bad play by Enunwa not so much the QB. That play is designed so that the receiver takes one step towards the CB to get him back pedaling Enunwa Stepped back almost immediately causing the CB to read the play and jump the pass. Could Petty have seen this ? Possibly.... but those calls are usually run very quickly and designed that way. I think Petty played a good game for his second NFL start with a game tying drive and a game winning drive at the end. Key on both drives was obviously he didn't turn it over and gave us a chance to win.

He needs to get a little more comfortable in the pocket and that will come in time. He just needs some time just like any other first time starting QB

10 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

So...you are saying that our MORON of a head coach was wrong all along?????

im sick and tired of the posters saying PETTY must suck, BOWLES sees him everyday.

if PETTY plays well....more reason to fire Bowles. 

I STILL don't think Bowles needs to be fired, but I agree with your point of view 100%. 

The kid has some intangibles that, I believe, SHOULD have been enough for a coach to give him his shot.

which brings me to the biggest negative no one is talking about..and it's not about Pettys play today. The biggest negative about pettys start today is that it should have occurred 3 weeks ago!!

44 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Marshall's body language before his injury makes it clear that he hasn't really bought into Petty yet. That first throw where he didn't drag his foot was lazy on his part and the throw was great. 

That play was coming right at me.  It was kindof amazing - Marshall had practically stopped with his back to Petty when Petty threw it.  He was just lazily turning around as the ball was in the air.  I think Marshall was surprised the ball was coming - and the CB couldn't believe it was on the way.  I don't know what was going through Marshall's head...

6 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

This would be sound logic if there was a can't miss prospect in the first round and there isn't.....

Let me repeat that there isn't a can't miss QB in the entire upcoming draft.  I am firmly on record that we should acquire Glennon in free agency instead of taking a risk on an unknown QB draft pick, so I am far from a "give the job to Petty" fan.

And I'm also a little older than you having seen the Jets win a SB when I was 6 years of age.  I for one would gladly change ages with you if you like... :) 

Just to add, he hooked up several times with TEs Jenkins and Bostic, so like a real QB he looks for TEs and RBs, and not just WRs like Fitzmoron. Petty has spunk and is gaining respect from his teammates. After the 2-pt conversion Powell was really gitty grabbing and slapping Petty. I know everyone feels these games being won hurts draft position, but the more Petty shows even if we get more wins the better off we are with him possibly being the answer at QB. Hope that is the case. That's more important than draft position at this point. Also, all the younger guys playing Miles/Middleton at S, Burris at CB, Lee/Jenkins at LB, Simon at NT, Qvale at RT, Anderson/Peake at WR, Jenkin at TE, etc, need wins for confidence and not just playing time and all losing. Like our best coach in our recent past Parcells used to say and I quote "The only thing I learn from losing is that I'm sick". Well that's really how we all feel. Every person in Jetnation is happy for this win for Petty and the team and really even for Bowles to show he hasn't lost the team. All saying Bowles is not the answer, Petty is not the answer, etc. has to realize their really are no better options going forward with HCs and QBs going forward. I doubt any even half decent QBs from FA or the draft would be any better than Petty once he gain more experience, and unless HCs like Macarthy get fired what coach is out there that we can get at this point. Lets see if we can build of this and cut all the older player and reload with some good FAs, draft picks, and current younger players for next year. If Dallas can go in 1 year from worst to 1st in the league anything is possible.

4 minutes ago, Flushing Roots said:

Rocky start.  Settled down and gained confidence as the game wore on.

Hoping that confidence continues to blossom and we go two in a row against The Fish.

Think it will.  That two point conversion was major in the win.   Petty must have been hit 4 times going in.  The players really appreciated his toughness.  Think he won the team over today

8 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

This would be sound logic if there was a can't miss prospect in the first round and there isn't.....

Let me repeat that there isn't a can't miss QB in the entire upcoming draft.  I am firmly on record that we should acquire Glennon in free agency instead of taking a risk on an unknown QB draft pick, so I am far from a "give the job to Petty" fan.

And I'm also a little older than you having seen the Jets win a SB when I was 6 years of age.  I for one would gladly change ages with you if you like... :) 

LOL

Great post Charlie :)

24 minutes ago, papz187 said:

Agreed, Powell was awesome.

I never root for anyone to get hurt, and I hope Forte is OK, but I was happy that he wouldn't be taking carries away from Blial.

I don't know what it is, but the coaching staff doesn't give Powell enough carries when he's clearly better than Forte IMO. It's sad it took an injury for Powell to get the majority of carries in a game, but hopefully it will open their eyes to see what he can do when given the opportunity.

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

Bowles is an idiot. Fitz should have never played another down after his first benching in the Arizona game.

9 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Damn, I thought I was old!

9 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I was 8, I feel your pain. 

40 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

I agree in principle with drafting a QB until we find one, but we have to give the ones we drafted time to develop or we won't ever find out if they're good enough.  Would you rather have Goff, who went 1st in the draft last year?  So far he looks terrible.  How about Wentz?  He started out great but now looks very mediocre, certainly not a sure thing.  Petty just had his first start after a full week of reps with the first team.  He showed some promise.  He has intangibles, good size and a great arm.  No one knows if he will be great yet, but he certainly could be.  Give him the next three games, a full off season as number one, and next year we should know what we have.

2 minutes ago, docdhc said:

I agree in principle with drafting a QB until we find one, but we have to give the ones we drafted time to develop or we won't ever find out if they're good enough.  Would you rather have Goff, who went 1st in the draft last year?  So far he looks terrible.  How about Wentz?  He started out great but now looks very mediocre, certainly not a sure thing.  Petty just had his first start after a full week of reps with the first team.  He showed some promise.  He has intangibles, good size and a great arm.  No one knows if he will be great yet, but he certainly could be.  Give him the next three games, a full off season as number one, and next year we should know what we have.

how do you call out Goff and Wentz they say we have to give Our guys time ...

anyway im cool with Petty and Hack as long as Progress and improvement is being shown ..

3 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

how do you call out Goff and Wentz they say we have to give Our guys time ...

anyway im cool with Petty and Hack as long as Progress and improvement is being shown ..

I'm not calling them out I'm just saying we wouldn't be any better off he we had the first pick in the draft this year, we still wouldn't know if we had found a franchise QB. It takes time to find out and we already invested some in Petty, lets see it through.   If I was a Ram or Eagles fan I would argue to give those guys the time to prove themselves too.

My opinion:

We all saw the same things from Petty today.  He is really struggling reading NFL defenses.  Because he doesn't snap recognize an NFL coverage like Brady, he holds the ball to long, and takes more sacks then a good vet would.

Petty got beat up pretty good  today.      Some due to his own indecisiveness.  Some due to an, at best, a MEH, offensive line.  Beat to hell,  Kid really showed some balls late in the game.

His flaws will be duly noted by the likes of Bill Bellicheat, and Rex Ryan.  Fins think they are Super Bowl contenders now.  Petty has his work cut out for him.

I like what I saw today.

And I'm also a little older than you having seen the Jets win a SB when I was 6 years of age.  I for one would gladly change ages with you if you like...  

There is never a can't miss prospect. If I had a dollar for everyone guaranteeing Winston and/or Mariota would bust I'd be a rich man. The bottom line is unless you KNOW you have a franchise QB, you keep drafting for one.

One thing for sure is Petty got better as the game went on. After throwing the INT and having some terrible drives, he did not get  flustered nor discouraged which is a great sign. On that note, you do not analyze a player, especially a QB, after one game. Let's not crown him the next Namath or the next Brett Ratliff. Give him time. 

2 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Marshall's body language before his injury makes it clear that he hasn't really bought into Petty yet. That first throw where he didn't drag his foot was lazy on his part and the throw was great. 

You're dreaming.  

Whats to buy into.  Pettys the QB and Marshall is the WR, he's got that,

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

So...you are saying that our MORON of a head coach was wrong all along?????

im sick and tired of the posters saying PETTY must suck, BOWLES sees him everyday.

if PETTY plays well....more reason to fire Bowles. 

Actually no.

Do you guys looking for any reason to fire the HC remember Petty was hurt and not practicing? 

If Petty plays well it's no reason to fire the HC.  It's a dumb reason to fire the HC. First they weren't trying today.  Now this? 

Hes not getting fired.  

3 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

First, the negatives:

-Yeah, the pick was bad.

-Took a lot of sacks.

The positives:

-Stretched the top of the defense better than any QB in recent years, which opened it up for Powell underneath.

Overall, the kid did ok today.  Let's see what he can do against stiffer competition in the coming weeks.

Why would we be rational when we can go on a punctuality free rant about how todd bowles and mike maccagnan and ryan fitzpatick suck and twelve million and worst qb and geno is going to canton as a brown and drew brees isnt that good anymore but we should sign that guy who beat the crap out of his wife in an elevator because hes a great leader and colon kippernack too because i also think hes fantastical at football and fitz sucks.

14 minutes ago, Ghost said:

One thing for sure is Petty got better as the game went on. After throwing the INT and having some terrible drives, he did not get  flustered nor discouraged which is a great sign. 

I liked that too.

People go on about the physical which is important but what's between the ears counts and he just shrugged the poor start off and decided to have at it.

If we were going to die we were going to die throwing punches, man I'll take that, for now.

3 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

First, the negatives:

-Yeah, the pick was bad.

-Took a lot of sacks.

The positives:

This is a fair, accurate and rational review, nice.  +1

10 hours ago, flgreen said:

I had jsut come back from Viet Nam Youngster :)

Thank you for your service. The war had a profane affect on me. I was 9 years old and riding my bicycle when I saw 2 men dressed in uniforms on the porch of my neighbor. When I went in the house and told my parents my mother and father knew immediately that George had been killed in Vietnam. Army medic, helicopter was shot down. Very happy you returned.

I was pretty unimpressed by Petty's performance in the first half. He doesn't look comfortable in the pocket to me. JMO.

But he bounced back nicely in the second half and helped lead the Jets to a nice comeback win on the West Coast. The 49ers are an awful football team but you have to give Petty credit for how he played. He made some nice throws and showed potential which is really all you can ask for. He gave me hope.

But as I've said in other threads. I want to see him spread the ball around more. He seems to be locked in on Anderson to much which is going to get him into trouble. I'm chalking it up to just familiarity with him. But a guy like Marshall can be a young QB's best friend if you use him properly. I want to see him throw the ball more to our top options on offense. Those are Marshall and Enunwa.

I would say altogether though he played well.

Archived