-Yeah, the pick was bad.

-Took a lot of sacks.

-Sailed some close-range passes

-Got happy feet at times.

-Missed a bunch of open receivers.

The positives:

-After the early INT he bounced back and didn't turn it over afterwards

-23/35 is >65% completions.  Hell yeah.

-He embraced the check-down pass and didn't force it too much.

-Stretched the top of the defense better than any QB in recent years, which opened it up for Powell underneath.

-Showed the ability to stay patient despite playing from behind

-Looked natural and fluid taking snaps under center.

-This was all despite an atrocious o-line and a very young group of receivers.

Overall, the kid did ok today.  Let's see what he can do against stiffer competition in the coming weeks.

I hate to be negative, but one more I'd add would be inaccuracy with deep balls. Yes, he did hit on some, but there were other opportunities where he didn't even give his guy (usually it was Anderson) a chance.

If he can improve in this area, which I definitely think it's possible with how young and inexpirienced he is, it will without question make the team more threatening and expand the amount of distance the defense needs to respect.

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, CobraVerde said:

There are more positives than negatives and the negatives are mostly about experience. 

Summed up nicely.

He just needs more work and game time.

A better team next week and the Pats waiting down the road.

It's actually a nice progression of the level of difficulty he'll be facing.

Just now, CobraVerde said:

He elevated the play of others. You saw how bad Fitzpatrick made Anderson look? Petty made him look like a decent WR. He needs more time with the #1s to get Marshall involved. And when he did get Marshall involved man those were some throws. 

Marshall's body language before his injury makes it clear that he hasn't really bought into Petty yet. That first throw where he didn't drag his foot was lazy on his part and the throw was great. 

1 minute ago, CobraVerde said:

He elevated the play of others. You saw how bad Fitzpatrick made Anderson look? Petty made him look like a decent WR. He needs more time with the #1s to get Marshall involved. And when he did get Marshall involved man those were some throws. 

Petty got really lucky a couple of those passes in the second half could have been pick 6's.  Like you said he makes Anderson way better because he can actually throw to the go route

1 minute ago, kdels62 said:

Marshall's body language before his injury makes it clear that he hasn't really bought into Petty yet. That first throw where he didn't drag his foot was lazy on his part and the throw was great. 

Who cares what marshall thinks

If Bowles is worried he shouldn't be a head coach.  Marshall is just pissed he's losing his bet with Antonio Brown

One game at a time everyone. All in all, I think he had a good game. he brought the team back, kept his poise , and he made some smart plays both with his feet and with his arm. There's no doubt that the game still seems a little bit too fast for him. But that has to be expected.  hopefully with a good week of tape review and practice he might surprise everyone and beat the fish. good on him

Its all about protection. If we can protect him and run the ball he will look good, if not he will look like any other QB getting his ass handed to him. I love the fact that he did not just throw the ball up for grabs under pressure. That is instinct and is touch to teach. As Larz put it before, we hate the sacks but can still win with them as long as Petty does not Geno or Fitz the ball away.

Petty gutted out a win.  Made a monster throw to anderson rolling out in OT that basically won us the game.  

His biggest attribute was he breathed some life into this team.  

Is he the qb of the future?  He still has a long way to go.  That is why he should have been handed the keys 5 weeks ago so we could get a solid evalution on him. Now hes only got 3 games left.

First real game, came back from a horrid start. Played well, better than I expected. Loved his tenacity on the 2 point conversion. I thought it was an awesome start - has a lot to learn, but it's his first real game. Happy for him and gives me hope he has a chance. 

Much better in second half. First pass - interception - was because he was slow in delivering the ball. Made the same pass in second half and Enunwa went for nine yards. Much better. He improved in every category in the second half and Powell came through big time. Next week will be a good test vs Miami. Gives me reason to hope at least. 

he went through growing pains just like every young QB.  He got off to a brutal start.  The pick,the high passes,holding the ball too long he had a rough first quarter.  However he progressively got better and showed some heart/balls.  Lets be honest if he had even a decent o line he probably would have been better

31 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

First, the negatives:

-Yeah, the pick was bad.

-Took a lot of sacks.

-Sailed some close-range passes

-Got happy feet at times.

-Missed a bunch of open receivers.

The positives:

-After the early INT he bounced back and didn't turn it over afterwards

-23/35 is >65% completions.  Hell yeah.

-He embraced the check-down pass and didn't force it too much.

-Stretched the top of the defense better than any QB in recent years, which opened it up for Powell underneath.

-Showed the ability to stay patient despite playing from behind

-Looked natural and fluid taking snaps under center.

-This was all despite an atrocious o-line and a very young group of receivers.

Overall, the kid did ok today.  Let's see what he can do against stiffer competition in the coming weeks.

I ripped on him a bit in anger. This is the best write up that sums up my sober thoughts.  Nothing astonishing that is going to have me anoint home the savior of anything...but a step towards maybe figuring out the future.  I have doubts...but f*ck it.  What else do we have this season? 

47 minutes ago, papz187 said:

I hate to be negative, but one more I'd add would be inaccuracy with deep balls. Yes, he did hit on some, but there were other opportunities where he didn't even give his guy (usually it was Anderson) a chance.

If he can improve in this area, which I definitely think it's possible with how young and inexpirienced he is, it will without question make the team more threatening and expand the amount of distance the defense needs to respect.

He was very successful with the deep ball in college.  It should come naturally for any QB as timing comes along and they get a good feel for their WRs. Of all the things that concern me with Petty, this one worries me the least.

When you have a big arm like Petty & can move around a bit, it's a nightmare for defensive backs in this new NFL. Once he gets more experience & confidence and gets comfortable with the speed of the game he could really take off. I'd love to see an offense that suits his skill set & let him grow behind a DEVELOPING young Oline.

He seems like the type of fun loving guy that a team can rally around. I'm praying he could be our answer, now let's start building this team around him. 

Jets are going to have a veteran purge. 65.5 million in savings after the cap hits. Plus with the cap going up they'll have money they have to spend but it has to be only for younger free agents. 

34 minutes ago, The Walrus said:

Summed up nicely.

He just needs more work and game time.

A better team next week and the Pats waiting down the road.

It's actually a nice progression of the level of difficulty he'll be facing.

So...you are saying that our MORON of a head coach was wrong all along?????

im sick and tired of the posters saying PETTY must suck, BOWLES sees him everyday.

if PETTY plays well....more reason to fire Bowles. 

Petty was fine but if Powell didn't have a monster game no doubt we lose

Agreed, Powell was awesome.

I never root for anyone to get hurt, and I hope Forte is OK, but I was happy that he wouldn't be taking carries away from Blial.

I don't know what it is, but the coaching staff doesn't give Powell enough carries when he's clearly better than Forte IMO. It's sad it took an injury for Powell to get the majority of carries in a game, but hopefully it will open their eyes to see what he can do when given the opportunity.

Petty certainly had an up and down game today.  Showed his weakness.  sloppy feet, indecisiveness, difficulty reading blitz's and holding the ball to long.

IMO he showed some  traits that are hard to teach.  BIG arm.   More then that, again IMO, I think he won the team over with his toughness on the late TD drive, and 2 point conversion. He also showed that he's not going to let his early game mistakes affect his confidence.

Kids got a long way to go, but I'm impressed with what I saw today.  I think he has a major ability to get better.  I'm happy with the performance in what looked like a sure lose situation.  

1 minute ago, southparkcpa said:

So...you are saying that our MORON of a head coach was wrong all along?????

im sick and tired of the posters saying PETTY must suck, BOWLES sees him everyday.

if PETTY plays well....more reason to fire Bowles. 

I don't know, you're the one telling the story, so tell it. :)

Archived