Revis: I'm an All-Time Jet and Should Be Treated With Class

C Mart

If you look at the numbers — those related to football and those related to the salary cap — Sunday’s game against the Bills at MetLife Stadium would seem obvious to be the last game as a Jet for Darrelle Revis, one of the best players ever to wear the team’s uniform.

The veteran cornerback, whose struggles this season have made him the target of some vicious criticism that has obliterated the borders of professionalism, does not see it that way.

The 31-year-old Revis, in no uncertain terms, told The Post on Thursday he wants to retire as a Jet. He said he has no plans to look around the stadium wistfully Sunday as if it might be the end for him with the franchise that made him a first-round draft pick in 2007 and made him a multi-millionaire.

“Would I love to be here? Yes,” Revis said in an exclusive locker-room sit-down with The Post. “Will I be back? That’s a great question. My thing would be this: Do the New York Jets want to treat my situation with class or no class? With me being one of the best players in the history of this franchise, do they want me to retire here or not retire here?

“That’s the biggest question. It’s black and white. It’s not very complicated.”

Except that it is.

Revis’ performance this season — even by his own admission — has fallen like a two-ton boulder off a cliff. The decline has been so dramatic Revis has spoken openly about age catching up to him, his diminished speed and the prospect of changing positions from corner to safety.

“I’ve been one of the best cornerbacks to ever play this game,” Revis said. “I’ve done a lot of things in this league that a lot of guys currently playing are chasing now. I’ve impacted the game in a way where it was like, ‘Hey, he doesn’t give up any catches to the No. 1 [receiver].’ I set a precedent.

“So, I’ve done enough. Obviously, everybody’s a little bit concerned because that’s not what I’m displaying anymore. I can’t stay 24 [years old] forever. Every player ages in this game. You’ve got to understand that.

“Now, can I still play? Yes, I can still play. This game is a love for me. It’s like a girlfriend. And we’ve been dating for a long time — many years. She’s been great to me and I appreciate it. I love my girlfriend.”

The question for Revis is this: Is his girlfriend about to break up with him?

Revis said of the rampant criticism he’s endured this season: “I get it. There’s a whole bunch of stuff that comes with what I’ve done. In the past, I used to take over games, shut the No. 1 guy out.”

If you look at the numbers — those related to football and those related to the salary cap — Sunday’s game against the Bills at MetLife Stadium would seem obvious to be the last game as a Jet for Darrelle Revis, one of the best players ever to wear the team’s uniform.

The veteran cornerback, whose struggles this season have made him the target of some vicious criticism that has obliterated the borders of professionalism, does not see it that way.

The 31-year-old Revis, in no uncertain terms, told The Post on Thursday he wants to retire as a Jet. He said he has no plans to look around the stadium wistfully Sunday as if it might be the end for him with the franchise that made him a first-round draft pick in 2007 and made him a multi-millionaire.

“Would I love to be here? Yes,” Revis said in an exclusive locker-room sit-down with The Post. “Will I be back? That’s a great question. My thing would be this: Do the New York Jets want to treat my situation with class or no class? With me being one of the best players in the history of this franchise, do they want me to retire here or not retire here?

Except that it is.

Revis’ performance this season — even by his own admission — has fallen like a two-ton boulder off a cliff. The decline has been so dramatic Revis has spoken openly about age catching up to him, his diminished speed and the prospect of changing positions from corner to safety.

“I’ve been one of the best cornerbacks to ever play this game,” Revis said. “I’ve done a lot of things in this league that a lot of guys currently playing are chasing now. I’ve impacted the game in a way where it was like, ‘Hey, he doesn’t give up any catches to the No. 1 [receiver].’ I set a precedent.

“So, I’ve done enough. Obviously, everybody’s a little bit concerned because that’s not what I’m displaying anymore. I can’t stay 24 [years old] forever. Every player ages in this game. You’ve got to understand that.

“Now, can I still play? Yes, I can still play. This game is a love for me. It’s like a girlfriend. And we’ve been dating for a long time — many years. She’s been great to me and I appreciate it. I love my girlfriend.”

Revis said of the rampant criticism he’s endured this season: “I get it. There’s a whole bunch of stuff that comes with what I’ve done. In the past, I used to take over games, shut the No. 1 guy out.”

revis_edelman.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&w
Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis tackles Cheaters wide receiver Julian Edelman.N.Y. Post: Charles Wenzelberg

This season — during which he doesn’t have a single interception, has been credited with only four passes defended and has allowed a quarterback rating of 109.8 when targeted (according to ProFootballFocus.com) — Revis has had a difficult time shutting anyone out.

“Some of my plays this year, if you break it down, I’m right there,” he said. “It’s just a technique error here and there. That’s been my struggle. I haven’t really trusted in my techniques as I did when I was younger because I’m losing a step.”

The question for the Jets as they evaluate Revis in the offseason will be whether they want to bring him back at all, and if so, how much are they willing to spend?

If the Jets cut Revis before the second day of the new league year (in March), they can free $9 million in cap space and be on the books for just $6 million in 2017. If Revis remains with the Jets under his current contract, he’ll cost them $15.33 million on the cap next season, which is not going to happen.

Revis, who has made nearly $130 million in his career, sounded willing to take a cut in pay to stay.

“You have to understand what the next step is, what the next chapter is for you, and I understand that,” he said. “You feel where you’re at in your career, you talk to the guys upstairs and see what’s going to best help me and best help the team moving forward.”

Asked if he is concerned his legacy has been tarnished by his struggles this season, Revis said, “No. That’s absurd and very insulting to even say that

“I can still play this game at a high level. I’m going to be there until I’m told I’m not going to be here. Whatever the situation is in the offseason, it’ll get handled the way it’s supposed to. It depends on how they want to handle it.”

http://nypost.com/2016/12/29/darrelle-revis-im-an-all-time-jet-and-should-be-treated-with-class/

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, sorry.

What you did 7 years ago might have been great, but what you've done these past 2 years erases all of it.  I am ashamed to let my kids wear your jersey.

I appreciated that you worked the system to get the most money possible from contract to contract.  I respected the fact that you bet on yourself with these short-term deals.  But the price you pay for your selfish demeanor after you got paid is that Jets fans have learned to despise you.  I have never seen a player check-out so obviously, never seen a player so willingly deflect leadership to others.  You tackle like someone worth $40M who doesn't want a broken pinky to interfere with his ability to ring a brass bell for a servant to bring him a cocktail at his mansion.

You won't get into the Hall Of Fame.  Enjoy.

SAR I

52 minutes ago, C Mart said:

No thanks. His attitude is part of the problem. Flush him out. 

Slightly corrected.

With all of the aging veterans off the roster next year, we have a legitimate chance at changing the culture of this team towards self-respect and have our players rediscover their passion.

After Geno Smith and Sheldon Richardson on the malcontent list comes Darrelle Revis.  He has got to go.  Can't wait.

SAR I

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

Except that it is.

Except that it is.

revis_edelman.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&w
Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis tackles Cheaters wide receiver Julian Edelman.N.Y. Post: Charles Wenzelberg

This season — during which he doesn’t have a single interception, has been credited with only four passes defended and has allowed a quarterback rating of 109.8 when targeted (according to ProFootballFocus.com) — Revis has had a difficult time shutting anyone out.

“Some of my plays this year, if you break it down, I’m right there,” he said. “It’s just a technique error here and there. That’s been my struggle. I haven’t really trusted in my techniques as I did when I was younger because I’m losing a step.”

The question for the Jets as they evaluate Revis in the offseason will be whether they want to bring him back at all, and if so, how much are they willing to spend?

If the Jets cut Revis before the second day of the new league year (in March), they can free $9 million in cap space and be on the books for just $6 million in 2017. If Revis remains with the Jets under his current contract, he’ll cost them $15.33 million on the cap next season, which is not going to happen.

Revis, who has made nearly $130 million in his career, sounded willing to take a cut in pay to stay.

“You have to understand what the next step is, what the next chapter is for you, and I understand that,” he said. “You feel where you’re at in your career, you talk to the guys upstairs and see what’s going to best help me and best help the team moving forward.”

Asked if he is concerned his legacy has been tarnished by his struggles this season, Revis said, “No. That’s absurd and very insulting to even say that

“I can still play this game at a high level. I’m going to be there until I’m told I’m not going to be here. Whatever the situation is in the offseason, it’ll get handled the way it’s supposed to. It depends on how they want to handle it.”

http://nypost.com/2016/12/29/darrelle-revis-im-an-all-time-jet-and-should-be-treated-with-class/

You know what?  Just STFU Darrelle. You have been part of the problem, not the solution. 

42 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I dont think he makes the hall.  Not enough years of great play.

I wouldnt even put him in the ring of honor.  Hes unlikeable and not a true jet.

Exactly.

This season he had a tremendous chance to become the leader he never was, to step-up, to give 100%, to win back the fans he's alienated.  And instead of acting like Ray Lewis, he decided to start his next series of shenanigans, trying to get the Jets to pay him off to retire.

SAR I

48 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I wouldnt even put him in the ring of honor.  Hes unlikeable and not a true jet.

Revis changed the money game in pro football. His holdouts had such an impact. He made position players get paid like QB's. HOF

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

A year or two ago Courtney Aurillo was covering a Jets event for us and she got to interview Revis. I had the bright idea of asking her to solicit questions from you guys. :) She asked, when you are inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame do you want to go in as a NY Jet?

He paused and then answered the question. Basically he said Yes.

I was really surprised that he answered it. I was expecting him to say, well it would be an honor, and I have years before having to worry about that, but i hope they find me worthy. Instead, I think she caught him off guard and he said yes.

The forum questions start around 2:29 if you want to check it out.

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

No, sorry.

What you did 7 years ago might have been great, but what you've done these past 2 years erases all of it.  I am ashamed to let my kids wear your jersey.

I appreciated that you worked the system to get the most money possible from contract to contract.  I respected the fact that you bet on yourself with these short-term deals.  But the price you pay for your selfish demeanor after you got paid is that Jets fans have learned to despise you.  I have never seen a player check-out so obviously, never seen a player so willingly deflect leadership to others.  You tackle like someone worth $40M who doesn't want a broken pinky to interfere with his ability to ring a brass bell for a servant to bring him a cocktail at his mansion.

SAR I

This.

He wasn't called Mevis for no reason. 

6 hours ago, SAR I said:

No, sorry.

SAR I

Agreed.  I put Revis  jerseys in the same category as Favre. 

6 hours ago, SAR I said:

No, sorry.

SAR I

Agreed.  I put Revis  jerseys in the same category as Favre. 

5 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I don't think you are crazy.  I feel they should rework his contract and convert him to safety.  You don't need the same speed for safety.

No but you need to be willing to tackle and he's not willing to do that. He's also not going to redo his contract. Just don't see that happening. 

Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

No but you need to be willing to tackle and he's not willing to do that. He's also not going to redo his contract. Just don't see that happening. 

If he doesn't redo his contract than he is gone.  No way do I pay him $15M for attempting to convert to safety.  

Revis was as good If not the best cover CB to ever to play the game for a period of time. His ability to literally shutdown the opponents #1 WR one on one was amazing. I don't blame him for securing his financial future with big contracts and holdouts. It's the business side of the game.

I don't disagree that he is a all time Jet and he should be respected or shall I say remembered that way. His skills have diminished and people are going after him like he never was a force for this team. It happens. However, he has not handled this situation with any type of class or dignity. All we ask is for him to play hard. Revis got burned, Revis missed a tackle, it happens but when you shy away from tackles...when you play very soft coverage and look like you don't want to be involved in the play then that's when you deserve all the criticism you get. A safety that shy's away from tackling is not a safety. That won't work.

I'm very disappointed in the attitude and lack of effort that Revis has displayed this year. You have an opportunity to be a Jet for life ( that shouldn't be a goal in life ) and be adored by a struggling fan base forever but now you want to make it ugly. You want to be our Tiki Barber???

Shame on you Revis. I love CB's, it's my favorite position on the field and I WILL remember and respect those years that you gave us when you were on top of your game and showed us some real effort but now I am just so disappointed in you. I will leave u on my sig below because you were the best I have ever seen AFTER Primetime but again, shame on you!!

I'm at a diner eating and so pissed right now. F the spell check!!!

Revis played so far back he basically gave up first downs. And the entire NFL knew about it. If we could see it other NFL teams could easily see it. He is due 6 mil next year of guaranteed money. I can't see paying him more than 6 mil to return. Which means he'd have to play for free next season. You know he's not going to do this. He can walk away with the 6 mil and take a year long vacation if he wants to. And I don't see another team paying him over that figure. 

Great players often have problematic attitudes.  They always move to their own beat that is what makes them great. They are different.  

Revis is no different than any all time Great. He is old plain and simple.   Happened to Ali, Joe D, Willie Mays, Namath, it happens to them all

Yes, Revis was great and now is just good and can't accept that.  Despite all of the hope out here Revis is a HOF player.  He was one of the best players ever to put on a Jets uniform and he more importantly than anyone else was directly responsible for those back to back championship trips.  You liked the Jets D in those days.  Well he was the Jets D in those years.  Think in this, Revis shut down half the field in an era when you can't touch the WR and not get a flag and he had offenses afraid, literally afraid, to throw in his direction. That is utter crazy talk today with any CB now playing.

Has Revis been less than what he should have been this year, of course he has? But should we forget his play on the field when he was the greatest and he was a Jet? No we shouldn't. 

Time takes away greatness and dignity from any player or person we don't have to do the same to our heros no matter how flawed and human they turn out to be. 

He's the greatest Jet of my lifetime. And in the lifetime of any Jet fan that's younger than 40.

He's full of sh*t here with the "class" comment, but the hatred by the fan base is a bit much. Yes, he is a HOF player: the best corner since Deion Sanders. And he spent all but two years of his career as a Jet.

"Not a true Jet". Get outta here with that bullsh*t. What's a true Jet? Someone that'll work for peanuts? Is Brees a fake Saint? That's some stupid sh*t. I love you forever, Revis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived