The Silent Majority

JetsFanatic

I think it was the right thing to do. One good season 1 bad season. Let's see what happens next but there is also a flip side to this coin that also makes me believe this is the right decision. The jets are never bad when there is a good QB in the draft.  Looking at jake browning and josh Rosen it would be ok with me to go through another horrible season to get one of those qbs.  So I believe still that Bowles will be good but if I'm wrong and he sucks that could also be the luck this frachise needs. At this point give me great or give me bad but please don't give me in the middle with no way to solve our QB situation. 

Ok, I get it, if you are a 25 year old Jet fan, you have time to "wait until next year" to change CS & /or GM, then another 3-5 years if they happen to stumble upon the right guy(s). At my age, I do not think I will be around long enough to witness this franchise appearing in a SB in my lifetime, I was 7 for the last one and had no clue yet, so the thought of another year of Todd Bowles makes me very sad and depressed to be honest. I am ok with Mac is staying for now. Sadly, his moves have mostly not worked out, but I firmly believe this disaster falls on the CS, none of which Mac hired. I would be happier if he were allowed to pick his own HC, and allow that HC to pick his own CS. The HC and Coaching staff of the 2016 NY Jets did the worst coaching job I have seen in this league since Ray Handley. They have been hideously out coached, out gamed, out schemed, and most disconcerting - out hustled in every game. Their players put forth zero effort and basically quit in week 3 in KC. They had to struggle to come from behind to beat Cleveland and SF let us not forget, and lost to a Rams team (and putting up a whopping 6 points in doing so LOL) that was so bad, their HC got fired with a quarter season to go! This past season was traumatically bad. I will have visions from this season on my mind when I watch them next season. I sit here reading the boards, wondering what on Earth Woody is thinking / seeing that would tell him to give this man another chance. Bowles admitted doing a poor job. If I admit to my boss that I did a poor job, it is adios, right then and there.

I understand the continuity factor I really do, but to be truthfully honest, having watched the NFL for 45+ years, there is nothing this man has done in 2 seasons that makes me believe he has what it takes to be a successful HC in this league. I hope to god I am wrong. Hell, I want nothing more than us to be winning every week and go to a SB. I would much rather write positive posts on how great we played and what is next for us in the playoffs. Sadly, I can never recall a season of NYJ football in which I felt that the team displayed less effort consistently than this 2016 team did, in other words, they gave up and quit. That falls on the management, or, in sports, coaches. Woody, would not tolerate that lack of job performance from other employees in his other businesses, so why is it accepted and allowed here in the public eye? Yes on January 2 it looks like a nice gesture by giving Bowles another season. Talk to me next October when they are 1-5 and the season is over yet again before Halloween. I just want to know what you saw to make you think next season will be any different than what just took place. Woody, the fans are pissed off.

So congratulations to Rich Cimini & the rest of the "continuity fans" supporting this decision to bring them back, you have your continuity. Continuity of players quitting, continuity of playing games scared and not to lose, continuity of playing players out of position constantly and never adjusting, continuity of 12 defensive turnovers for the season, D never making a big play to win a game late, never being able to cover a TE, the absolute worst ST's in NFL history (yet nobody gave a rats a$$), continuity of Fitz at QB (I believe they will re-sign him), continuity of kicking FG's behind 41-0, and my favorite piece of continuity of all,16 more post game interviews where our leader sounds like a total moron, and has no answers for the hideous problems his team exhibits on a weekly basis.

10 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Ok, I get it, if you are a 25 year old Jet fan, you have time to "wait until next year" to change CS & /or GM, then another 3-5 years if they happen to stumble upon the right guy(s). At my age, I do not think I will be around long enough to witness this franchise appearing in a SB in my lifetime, I was 7 for the last one and had no clue yet, so the thought of another year of Todd Bowles makes me very sad and depressed to be honest. I am ok with Mac is staying for now. Sadly, his moves have mostly not worked out, but I firmly believe this disaster falls on the CS, none of which Mac hired. I would be happier if he were allowed to pick his own HC, and allow that HC to pick his own CS. The HC and Coaching staff of the 2016 NY Jets did the worst coaching job I have seen in this league since Ray Handley. They have been hideously out coached, out gamed, out schemed, and most disconcerting - out hustled in every game. Their players put forth zero effort and basically quit in week 3 in KC. They had to struggle to come from behind to beat Cleveland and SF let us not forget, and lost to a Rams team (and putting up a whopping 6 points in doing so LOL) that was so bad, their HC got fired with a quarter season to go! This past season was traumatically bad. I will have visions from this season on my mind when I watch them next season. I sit here reading the boards, wondering what on Earth Woody is thinking / seeing that would tell him to give this man another chance. Bowles admitted doing a poor job. If I admit to my boss that I did a poor job, it is adios, right then and there.

I understand the continuity factor I really do, but to be truthfully honest, having watched the NFL for 45+ years, there is nothing this man has done in 2 seasons that makes me believe he has what it takes to be a successful HC in this league. I hope to god I am wrong. Hell, I want nothing more than us to be winning every week and go to a SB. I would much rather write positive posts on how great we played and what is next for us in the playoffs. Sadly, I can never recall a season of NYJ football in which I felt that the team displayed less effort consistently than this 2016 team did, in other words, they gave up and quit. That falls on the management, or, in sports, coaches. Woody, would not tolerate that lack of job performance from other employees in his other businesses, so why is it accepted and allowed here in the public eye? Yes on January 2 it looks like a nice gesture by giving Bowles another season. Talk to me next October when they are 1-5 and the season is over yet again before Halloween. I just want to know what you saw to make you think next season will be any different than what just took place. Woody, the fans are pissed off.

So congratulations to Rich Cimini & the rest of the "continuity fans" supporting this decision to bring them back, you have your continuity. Continuity of players quitting, continuity of playing games scared and not to lose, continuity of playing players out of position constantly and never adjusting, continuity of 12 defensive turnovers for the season, D never making a big play to win a game late, never being able to cover a TE, the absolute worst ST's in NFL history (yet nobody gave a rats a$$), continuity of Fitz at QB (I believe they will re-sign him), continuity of kicking FG's behind 41-0, and my favorite piece of continuity of all,16 more post game interviews where our leader sounds like a total moron, and has no answers for the hideous problems his team exhibits on a weekly basis.

Cimini just wants Bowles back so he's got good train wreck tabloid material for next season.

the thing is would this team have had a better record if geno started over fitz?  imo maybe a game or two. so then what.  you have an 8-8 team in a middling draft position and probably still no viabe qb for next season.

Geno is much worse than fitz. Geno is gonna be out of the league next year, fitz has stuck around for 12 years.

I'd say if geno was our starting QB we would possibly have the number 1 or 2 pick

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I can see both sides here.

On the one hand, Bowles completely lost the team and locker room this year, his Defense (his speciality) was amongst the worst in the NFL despite having arguable mid or upper-level talent and draft investment, and we were extremely disappointing.

On the other hand, teams that fire Coaches (and GM's) after very short 1-2 year tenures never gain the benefits of consistency and continuity, and are (seemingly) always in constant flux, constant rebuild, constant learn-new-system-ism.

Personally, I think Bowles failure > his potential, and I very much do not like the fact Bowles does not work directly for Macc.  I was unimpressed with Bowles when the team was 10-6, I didn't think he played a major role in that record, but I do see him limitations and weaknesses as a vital cause of our failed 2016 season.  

I would fire him, and for damn sure when I replace him I bring in a Macc-guy, who is aligned with Macc in his thinking and system, and who would NOT be fired for a minimum of four seasons (maybe three).  And if that Coach goes, so would Macc.  

JMO.

I don't know if we will have a better season next year or of Bowles will improve but I do know our injuries did not help our team win games. The guy had an alright season as a rookie head coach he might be the most boring and emotionless guy on the planet but I think he does deserve another year to prove himself.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Roughly 66% of us (JetNation) wanted to bring back Fitz last season.  Only like 33% wanted to pay more than 7mil, but still...  the masses don't always know what's best.

For the record though, this time I can go along with the majority.  I'm hopeful Bowles can still be a good coach.

59 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

cheer up.  there was an article a couple of weeks ago that said humans can easily live to be 115.  that gives you and me at least another 50 years of jet fandom.

4 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Roughly 66% of us (JetNation) wanted to bring back Fitz last season.  Only like 33% wanted to pay more than 7mil, but still...  the masses don't always know what's best.

For the record though, this time I can go along with the majority.  I'm hopeful Bowles can still be a good coach.

And 99% of jets fans wanted to give Mo Wilk $100 million and tell Snacks Harrison to go piss off when he asked for only half the money.  Snacks is about to win the Giants a Super Bowl and Mo Wilk's fat ass got us 5-11.

Democracy is a beautiful thing.

10 minutes ago, thadude said:

And 99% of jets fans wanted to give Mo Wilk $100 million and tell Snacks Harrison to go piss off when he asked for only half the money.  Snacks is about to win the Giants a Super Bowl and Mo Wilk's fat ass got us 5-11.

Democracy is a beautiful thing.

Actually I'm not sure that's (99%) exactly true.  I can only judge based on discussions here, but there were a decent amount of us who were against paying Wilk.

But yeah, I agree the majority did want Wilk to get paid, and it was another time the majority was wrong.

Dream:  Bowles is the fall guy for a horrible season next year, Mac hires new coach and gets us a franchise QB.

Reality:  We go 8-8, Bowles' improvement gets him an extension.  Then we go 8-8 next 3 years with Cutler.

55 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I can see both sides here.

On the one hand, Bowles completely lost the team and locker room this year, his Defense (his speciality) was amongst the worst in the NFL despite having arguable mid or upper-level talent and draft investment, and we were extremely disappointing.

On the other hand, teams that fire Coaches (and GM's) after very short 1-2 year tenures never gain the benefits of consistency and continuity, and are (seemingly) always in constant flux, constant rebuild, constant learn-new-system-ism.

Personally, I think Bowles failure > his potential, and I very much do not like the fact Bowles does not work directly for Macc.  I was unimpressed with Bowles when the team was 10-6, I didn't think he played a major role in that record, but I do see him limitations and weaknesses as a vital cause of our failed 2016 season.  

I would fire him, and for damn sure when I replace him I bring in a Macc-guy, who is aligned with Macc in his thinking and system, and who would NOT be fired for a minimum of four seasons (maybe three).  And if that Coach goes, so would Macc.  

JMO.

I don't think Macc has earned the right to pick a coach. He has not been a success with this roster yet. All else I concur

Just now, Jetdawgg said:

I don't think Macc has earned the right to pick a coach. He has not been a success with this roster yet. All else I concur

I don't think macc is a good GM, but any GM should be able to pick the coach or the coach (in those cases that warrant it) should pick the GM. This "both report to the owner" thing is bullsh*t

6 minutes ago, dcJet said:

Dream:  Bowles is the fall guy for a horrible season next year, Mac hires new coach and gets us a franchise QB.

Reality:  We go 8-8, Bowles' improvement gets him an extension.  Then we go 8-8 next 3 years with Cutler.

In your dream scenario, if the Jets have another horrible season and the draft is another meh performance, why does Macc get to stick around too? He's just as culpable as Bowles, if not more so. 

3 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

In your dream scenario, if the Jets have another horrible season and the draft is another meh performance, why does Macc get to stick around too? He's just as culpable as Bowles, if not more so. 

because some Superfriend's brain-trust of idiots hired a coach before a GM

40 minutes ago, dcJet said:

This team isn't going to win more than 4 games next year and Bowles will almost certainly get fired.   

Archived