If the Jets are waiting to name an OC, what are they waiting for?

Sarge4Tide

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, NYJ37/12 said:

I think someone gets named as a senior advisor of the football operations such as a Holmgren, then the oc will be named. 

That would be great...I hope you are right. Just as long as said person is the boss, and there is a logical chain of command........1) football operations guy  2) gm  3) coach. 

2 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Teams that currently do not have an OC:

Jets

Redskins (It looks like it will be ex Jets QB coach Matt Cavanaugh, because they just hired Kevin O'Connell to the QB coach position)

Rams

Browns (I think by choice)

Texans

Sorry.

Ironically, or not, the 4 teams that scored the fewest points in the NFL this year are the teams still without an OC.

I thought they were waiting for one of the Chief's guys but its been quiet. I doubt the Packers Steelers Patriots, or Falcons guys would be in a rush to leave their respective teams unless it was for a HC job. Maybe no one wants the job as some have speculated. With a head coach on thin ice, a GM who need's to roll seven or eleven on almost every move they make this off season, and a QB situation so piss poor that even the worst guy out there is an upgrade why would any established guy want the job?

19 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Don't think the Texans or Browns are in the market for OCs, so that leaves us and the Rams.  

Still a lot of good options out there.  

I think the 49ers and the Falcons will also need an OC.

I'm usually not one to think it's hard to find people to take high paying, high level jobs (like OC's) in the NFL.  They're incredibly sought after jobs.

This specific situation is a tough one though.  Putting aside the fact that you have no QB and little talent.  The big problem is it's almost certainly a one year gig.

Bowles is a lame-duck head coach - so you can expect the OC to be gone when the new HC comes in in '18. 

Anyone exciting will pass on this job.  It's just not a good career decision to take a job knowing you'll be fired in a year.

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I'm usually not one to think it's hard to find people to take high paying, high level jobs (like OC's) in the NFL.  They're incredibly sought after jobs.

This specific situation is a tough one though.  Putting aside the fact that you have no QB and little talent.  The big problem is it's almost certainly a one year gig.

Bowles is a lame-duck head coach - so you can expect the OC to be gone when the new HC comes in in '18. 

Anyone exciting will pass on this job.  It's just not a good career decision to take a job knowing you'll be fired in a year.

I also think the problem is that there actually is a QB here that the GM is invested in that nobody else in the league thinks is any good.

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I also think the problem is that there actually is a QB here that the GM is invested in that nobody else in the league thinks is any good.

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Such a good post I'm quoting you twice

26 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I like it when people speak  for the entire league in an attempt to legitimize their ridiculous opinions with baseless speculation 

36 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

So don't get paid for a year or get paid for a year? Hmm.......

I don't think Jets OC is a career ending job

I might be wrong, but I thought almost all coordinator contracts were multi-year. So even a 2 year contract at the 7 figures level would be attractive to almost any coach

1) To speak with coach (es) from teams still in the playoffs - still think Daboll, Clemets, Godsey, Nagy/Childress are all possibilities

2) and/or interest in a college coach but willing to wait after Feb 1 (national signing day)

Robby Brown, so far still on the staff, could possibly be elevated to QB coach

Robby Brown enters the NFL as a quality control – offense coach for the Jets on January 23, 2015, reuniting with Offensive Coordinator Chan Gailey, who he played for in his two seasons at Georgia Tech.

Prior to joining the Jets, Brown coached in the collegiate ranks for 10 seasons, working at South Alabama, Northwestern State, Valdosta State, Henderson State, Southwest Baptist and Troy.

As offensive coordinator for Valdosta State in 2012, helped the team capture the NCAA Division II National Championship, while averaging 469 yards and scoring 40 points per game.

CAREER HIGHLIGHTS

After transferring from Georgia Military College, played two seasons under Chan Gailey at Georgia Tech. A backup quarterback, he finished the final series of wins in both the 2003 Humanitarian Bowl and the 2004 Champs Sports Bowl.

Dec 18, 2015

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Mike McCarthy might have one more difficult decision to make about Tom Clements.

The Green Bay Packers coach will have to decide after the season if there’s still a role for Clements on the coaching staff after McCarthy took back the offensive play-calling duties this week.

McCarthy called that move “brutal” from a personal standpoint, given that two have worked together since McCarthy came to Green Bay in 2006. That could be an indication he might have a hard time releasing Clements after the season.

“He's a big part of our success here, has been since Day 1 and will be as we continue forward,” McCarthy said of Clements shortly after he made the switch Sunday. “So this is an adjustment in our process, and this is the way we'll go forward.”

But will he be able to justify keeping Clements on the staff, particularly with the associate head coach title he was given along with the play-calling duties last February?

Several times during his first comments to reporters since his demotion, Clements on Thursday referred to himself as “an assistant coach” when asked to explain his new responsibilities.

“I coach during the week,” Clements said. “I get the team ready to play and then on game day, I'm giving Mike the down and distance, observing what's going on, making suggestions and we go from there.”

With his new title last offseason came a new contract, meaning Clements is almost certainly signed for the 2016 season. He’s also likely the highest-paid offensive assistant. Defensive coordinator Dom Capers is believed to be the highest-paid coach under McCarthy.

“Tom’s role hasn’t changed as far as job responsibility, minus the play calling,” McCarthy said. “I mean, Tom is very involved in the game planning. His game-day responsibilities are that of which he did last year.”

McCarthy’s decision to take back play calling no doubt hurt Clements’ profile as a potential head coach or even as a play-calling offensive coordinator. Play-calling success may have been the one thing missing from his résumé.

Quarterback Aaron Rodgers has regularly credited Clements as a major reason for his development, and Rodgers wholeheartedly endorsed McCarthy’s decision to promote Clements and publicly supported him throughout this season even though the offense struggled to 22nd in the league in yards before McCarthy pulled the plug. He almost certainly would be disappointed if Clements left the staff or was forced out.

But unless there are other staff changes, there isn’t a traditional coaching assignment for Clements. Until McCarthy made Clements the playcaller in February, he had never had an associate head coach on offense. McCarthy made Edgar Bennett the offensive coordinator, a job Clements held from 2012-14, during the staff changes this past February. For six years prior to that, Clements was quarterbacks coach, which is a job now held by Alex Van Pelt (who also coaches receivers). It's possible those two jobs could be split again.

Winston Moss has had the associate head coach title for the defense since 2007, but Moss also coaches a position (linebackers).

Perhaps McCarthy will simply leave Clements in the position he's in now.

For now, that job, according to Clements, is "what it was last year."

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/26124/tough-decisions-not-done-for-packers-mike-mccarthy-on-tom-clements

Was Bills OC 2004-05 when Mularkey was HC so he could join him in TN if he leaves GB..

56 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

So don't get paid for a year or get paid for a year? Hmm.......

I don't think Jets OC is a career ending job

The option for most coaches won't be the Jets or unemployment. Most will have a better choice than both. The Jets job is a high profile place to fail. I'd think a clever coach would rather take a lower level job and tool away in anonymity, than be exposed -fairly or not- in the NY press. 

4 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

I like it when people speak  for the entire league in an attempt to legitimize their ridiculous opinions with baseless speculation 

Doesn't help when morons on your coaching staff badmouth your #2 QB either, nor when you only play Petty under penalty of...hell, no one can explain why they played Fitz over Petty. Our HC is perceived rightly as an idiot about offense who will be fired after the 2017 season. Somebody will take the job, but they aren't lining up for this sh*tshow.

2 hours ago, C Mart said:

Dec 18, 2015

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Mike McCarthy might have one more difficult decision to make about Tom Clements.

The Green Bay Packers coach will have to decide after the season if there’s still a role for Clements on the coaching staff after McCarthy took back the offensive play-calling duties this week.

McCarthy called that move “brutal” from a personal standpoint, given that two have worked together since McCarthy came to Green Bay in 2006. That could be an indication he might have a hard time releasing Clements after the season.

“He's a big part of our success here, has been since Day 1 and will be as we continue forward,” McCarthy said of Clements shortly after he made the switch Sunday. “So this is an adjustment in our process, and this is the way we'll go forward.”

But will he be able to justify keeping Clements on the staff, particularly with the associate head coach title he was given along with the play-calling duties last February?

Several times during his first comments to reporters since his demotion, Clements on Thursday referred to himself as “an assistant coach” when asked to explain his new responsibilities.

“I coach during the week,” Clements said. “I get the team ready to play and then on game day, I'm giving Mike the down and distance, observing what's going on, making suggestions and we go from there.”

With his new title last offseason came a new contract, meaning Clements is almost certainly signed for the 2016 season. He’s also likely the highest-paid offensive assistant. Defensive coordinator Dom Capers is believed to be the highest-paid coach under McCarthy.

“Tom’s role hasn’t changed as far as job responsibility, minus the play calling,” McCarthy said. “I mean, Tom is very involved in the game planning. His game-day responsibilities are that of which he did last year.”

McCarthy’s decision to take back play calling no doubt hurt Clements’ profile as a potential head coach or even as a play-calling offensive coordinator. Play-calling success may have been the one thing missing from his résumé.

Quarterback Aaron Rodgers has regularly credited Clements as a major reason for his development, and Rodgers wholeheartedly endorsed McCarthy’s decision to promote Clements and publicly supported him throughout this season even though the offense struggled to 22nd in the league in yards before McCarthy pulled the plug. He almost certainly would be disappointed if Clements left the staff or was forced out.

But unless there are other staff changes, there isn’t a traditional coaching assignment for Clements. Until McCarthy made Clements the playcaller in February, he had never had an associate head coach on offense. McCarthy made Edgar Bennett the offensive coordinator, a job Clements held from 2012-14, during the staff changes this past February. For six years prior to that, Clements was quarterbacks coach, which is a job now held by Alex Van Pelt (who also coaches receivers). It's possible those two jobs could be split again.

Winston Moss has had the associate head coach title for the defense since 2007, but Moss also coaches a position (linebackers).

Perhaps McCarthy will simply leave Clements in the position he's in now.

For now, that job, according to Clements, is "what it was last year."

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/26124/tough-decisions-not-done-for-packers-mike-mccarthy-on-tom-clements

Was Bills OC 2004-05 when Mularkey was HC so he could join him in TN if he leaves GB..

Clements will ask the Packers to refuse to allow him to interview. Working with Aaron Rodgers or flaming bag of atomic poop on your porch in Florham Park on a daily basis is not a decision.

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

You know what'd be fun? If someone in Florham Park was forward thinking and thought that trying to convince Todd Haley to take this OC job as a way to pressure Todd Bowles to get his sh*t together 

Good move this way when Bowles fails again we fire him and name Todd Haley the HC 

24 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Doesn't help when morons on your coaching staff badmouth your #2 QB either, nor when you only play Petty under penalty of...hell, no one can explain why they played Fitz over Petty. Our HC is perceived rightly as an idiot about offense who will be fired after the 2107 season. Somebody will take the job, but they aren't lining up for this sh*tshow.

LOL!

Archived