mac is goiing to be extended

kmnj

mac is burning down the house because he knows it is buying himself another 3 years. He is going to be extended to "finish" the rebuild. Bowles is the interesting part to this. He is a terrible coach but in his defense there is no way he can win with the team that will be on the field next year. I wonder what his thoughts are about having to coach such garbage

It is 100% to Bowles benefit to be the coach next year in full rebuild mode as he has a built in excuse for his terrible coaching.  He may get two or three more years along the lines of other sh*t coaches like Fisher and Pagano that should have been canned 2 years ago,

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

It is 100% to Bowles benefit to be the coach next year in full rebuild mode as he has a built in excuse for his terrible coaching.  He may get two or three more years along the lines of other sh*t coaches like Fisher and Pagano that should have been canned 2 years ago,

Bowles has assembled what looks to be a pretty impressive staff. JMO but I wouldn't write him off quite yet. 

23 minutes ago, kmnj said:

mac is burning down the house because he knows it is buying himself another 3 years. He is going to be extended to "finish" the rebuild. Bowles is the interesting part to this. He is a terrible coach but in his defense there is no way he can win with the team that will be on the field next year. I wonder what his thoughts are about having to coach such garbage

Not so sure he is burning down the house - we will know for sure on March 10

They look like a team making a lot of cap space for FA to me

9 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

lol stick to mock drafts

er uh well u suck at that too

I got two words for you: Devin Smith

two more words Christian Hackenberg 

Nothing Bowles has done has been as bad a mistake as Mac's 2nd rounders. 

Just now, bitonti said:

Jury out - u call urself a draft expert...doesnt it take 3 years ? esp for a WR

Just now, SickJetFan said:

Jury out - u call urself a draft expert...doesnt it take 3 years ? esp for a WR

I never called myself a draft expert, first off. 

As for Devin Smith, getting hurt every year means you're a bust. Players can't develop from the training room. 

But at least Mac found Robby Anderson. 

Hackenberg is Devin Smith level useless and If Mac doesn't find a QB he is toast. 

26 minutes ago, bitonti said:

This isn't a popular statement but I'm making it anyway: Bowles is much better as a coach than Mac is as a GM. 

Wow that is a big statement. I thought you were going to say that Bowles is a better coach than he gets credit for. That I was going to agree with.

But your statement is one that we will contemplate for years lol.

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

As for Devin Smith, getting hurt every year means you're a bust. Players can't develop from the training room. 

Hackenberg is Devin Smith level useless and If Mac doesn't find a QB he is toast. 

Hackenberg is really much worse because it was a crazy pick at the time. It's not like half the NFL thought Devin Smith was undraftable.

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

well we will know for sure this summer wont we

20 minutes ago, bitonti said:

This isn't a popular statement but I'm making it anyway: Bowles is much better as a coach than Mac is as a GM. 

I agree that Mac's record is pi*s poor.. possibly beyond poor but Bowles when things got bad this past football year... seemed unlike the leader he needed to be.

The previous year was easier to coach when your streaky qb is on a hot streak, Marshall and Decker are a big part of those ten wins.

This past year players seemed to check out, that includes Revis, Wilkerson.. the public riff between Marshall and Richardson. Player's coaches rarely seem to be able to hold a team together...Pete Carroll being the outlier.

Macc has shown nothing positive here as of today but a fluke season where we beat the bottom feeder teams in the NFL. 

The jury is still out on the Hackenberg pick as well. 

The WR's on the roster with the exception of Enunwa and Decker are all question marks. 

Our OL has holes in it. 

Our secondary is a mess. 

Should i continue.......

18 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Pretty sure the Jets have gone 9 consecutive drafts without a quality second round selection. They only had second rounders in six of the nine, but still.

11 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I like Mac and I hope he does get extended. He took over a horrible 4-12 team. He deserves time to right the ship.

Based on what? The first time he had massive cap room and wasted it? He's in hot water. He's closer to being fired than being extended. Think about the holes that that 4-12 team had. Where has he plugged those holes or gotten a young player that has shown promise in the two years he's been here?

50 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Dear Lord, what exactly have you seen from Bowles that makes him anything more than one of the worst Head Coaches in the NFL right now?

Any thought that this was the plan all along? Look at how the contracts have been structured under Mcc's watch. Voidable with little cap implications after two years.

JMO but since Mcc & Bowles both report to Woody, at least Woody has to sign off on this plan. I highly doubt Bowles hasn't been involved in the discussions between Woody & Mcc regarding this plan.

Everyone (media, talk shows, fans) is assuming based on past experience that if the Jets have a bad '17 season Bowles is gone. However, don't discount Jan 2015 when Woody hired and spent a lot of time w/Casserly & Wolf traveling with and interviewing GM/HC candidates. Pretty safe assumption they both explained to Woody that you can't keep "rebuilding" via the band aid approach. And when you get right down to it, in today's NFL, until you have a QB you're just spinning your wheels...

2016 season was a complete cluster..everywhere (except the 2016 draft class, at least so far) ..no disputing...As some NFL pundits are saying, IF you truly believe you have your GM and/or HC you give them the time to execute their plan. Otherwise why spend all the time and money interviewing new candidates every two years.

So why didn't the new regime go full rebuild March 2015? I do give some credence that they (Mcc / Bowles) wanted to evaluate the roster, give it a go considering at the time they had Mangold, D'brick, Harris, Decker, signed Revis (I've yet to hear any reliable source dispute that wasn't Woody's want & decision) etc...

Maybe someone more versed w/the CBA can chime in too however, I believe teams must be at least the salary cap floor at some point.  If I recall correctly, the Jets had a lot of cap room coming off the 2014 season. In other words you can't remain $40-50M under the cap every yr..

Just my $.02

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

nah.  not even close.  Bowles has his head up his ass, particularly during a game.

57 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Why extend him?  Let the putz earn it.  Right now for the job he's done?  Mcc should be extended over burning coals and roasted.

By doing this you are putting short term middling success over long term success.  Is it really important to be competitive next year in that all it does is prevents us from doing what every other team is doing.  Bottom out, find your QB, rebuild.

Regardless, we aren't going to win many games next year unless Petty, Hack, FA Jag turn into Tom Brady.  So what's the point in winning 5 games instead of 2?  

Some fans that don't have a vision on what the team is doing will be upset.  But if the Jets get Darnold in 18, all the impatient fans will be running back, buying their PSLs, and filling the stadium.

They are not doing that for Glennon, Taylor, or anybody else.

Hopefully Woody is figuring this out.

48 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Didn't realize Hack was injured last season..gawd that topic has been discussed ad nauseaum..

12 minutes ago, Pcola said:

By doing this you are putting short term middling success over long term success.  Is it really important to be competitive next year in that all it does is prevents us from doing what every other team is doing.  Bottom out, find your QB, rebuild.

Regardless, we aren't going to win many games next year unless Petty, Hack, FA Jag turn into Tom Brady.  So what's the point in winning 5 games instead of 2?  

Some fans that don't have a vision on what the team is doing will be upset.  But if the Jets get Darnold in 18, all the impatient fans will be running back, buying their PSLs, and filling the stadium.

They are not doing that for Glennon, Taylor, or anybody else.

Hopefully Woody is figuring this out.

I hear you.  I would love nothing more than for us to tank next year.  My point was that Mcc does not deserve an extension.  IMO, I don't think the guy has a fukkin clue as to how to be a successful GM.

because everyone predicted that Devin Smith would tear his ACL coming out of college

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I hear you.  I would love nothing more than for us to tank next year.  My point was that Mcc does not deserve an extension.  IMO, I don't think the guy has a fukkin clue as to how to be a successful GM.

So your choices are make him fight for his job, which means throwing $50M and a long term contract for Glennon.  Saves his job for maybe another season or two.  

Or tell him we need to rebuild the right way.  Allow him to play a ton of young players he drafted.  Not over pay for a JAG QB.  We win two games but in the process we get our QB, have a ton of cap space, and hopefully a young nucleus of WRs, OL, and an improving D.  

Either way, an extension doesn't mean 3 years.  And it's Woody's money.  So if we end up with nothing from the 2015 - 2017 draft except Williams, then fire everyone.  Have a superstar offensive genius come in and coach Darnold.  Win, Win.

1 minute ago, YouPlay2Win said:

because everyone predicted that Devin Smith would tear his ACL coming out of college

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But he was a one dimensional player that once Geno got decked, didn't fit in our offense because of Fitz's arm.  Healthy or not, he wasn't doing anything these past years.

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

clearly this is a make/break year for smith.  hack? it'll be interesting to see how fast they pivot away from him if he can't get on the field.

3 hours ago, Pcola said:

But he was a one dimensional player that once Geno got decked, didn't fit in our offense because of Fitz's arm.  Healthy or not, he wasn't doing anything these past years.

But that's not Maccagnan's fault. Thus no blame.

There are 4 things that Maccagnan has done wrong that involve no hindsight at all.

1. Drafting Hackenberg in Round 2

2. Signing Jarvis Jenkins.

3. Signing Buster Skrine
4. I honestly forgot what the 4th was.

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

Dear Lord, what exactly have you seen from Bowles that makes him anything more than one of the worst Head Coaches in the NFL right now?

Consider the source, Warfish. Nobody has been more wrong about more football than Bitonti. The guy pretends he's JetNation's Joel Buchsbaum and I've learned that you're better off ignoring his contrarian "I'm smarter than you because I was a 2nd string offensive tackle in High School" posts.

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

Jalin Marshall, Deon Simon, Lawrence Thomas, Robbie Anderson, all undrafted Fa signed by MacCagnen

Archived