QB Colin Kaepernick

Rey

40 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think we should definitely measure the efficacy of any movement by the degree to which NFL owners (as a group) approve or disapprove of it. They've definitely proven to be apt stewards of American morality and ethical behavior.

There are rapists, wife beaters etc in the NFL.  Even before Aaron Hernandez got caught murdering someone it was known he almost beat a waiter to death over a disagreement about a check 

Kaepernick's just not good.  Certainly not good enough to warrant putting up with the media circus that would come with him even signing to be a backup

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, thadude said:

There are rapists, wife beaters etc in the NFL.  Even before Aaron Hernandez got caught murdering someone it was known he almost beat a waiter to death over a disagreement about a check 

Kaepernick's just not good.  Certainly not good enough to warrant putting up with the media circus that would come with him even signing to be a backup

Ungrateful athletes shouldn't take political positions. Now, here, pay me $50 to rent this parking space for three hours so I can afford to donate $250k to a white supremacist who promised to do away with the job-killing and unamerican Estate Tax. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I think we should definitely measure the efficacy of any movement by the degree to which NFL owners (as a group) approve or disapprove of it. They've definitely proven to be apt stewards of American morality and ethical behavior.

That's humorous, but it's more like in any line of work an employee knows what is acceptable workplace behavior and what is not by looking at the actions of his co-workers and superiors.

Work for Google, it's okay to take a nap in the afternoon, work for IBM it's a fire-able offense.  Work for the NFL, it's okay to tell a reporter something that's bothering you, bring your racial agenda to the playing field, it's a fire-able offense.

SAR I

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

Colin is looking for starter money.  He'll eventually sign for the same cheap "bad player" contracts as smith and Sanchez.  

No, he is being black-balled by NFL owners who are making a very loud and public statement about how their employees are expected to act as role models and highly compensated athletes.  Colin took a racist knee on White America, NFL owners are taking a knee on racism.  They won't tolerate it.  That's a good thing. 

The NFL is a shining example of racial harmony in the United States.  I am proud of the owners reinforcing that point by not hiring racist Colin Kaepernick.

SAR I

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

It's not racism, it's simply that he's a back-up caliber player and it's simply not worth the media attention and distraction they'll get for a back-up. 

Any team that signs him would be doing it to the detriment of their team and solely signing him for political reason - and the NFL isn't in the politics business.

That's quite naive.

Colin Kaepernick, under any other circumstances, would have at least been tapped by a desperate team as a backup if only to bring him in for a week and see if he can play the game at a high level, the Jets and Browns come to mind, a few others.  This guy is being given the silent treatment, he's been blacklisted.  And that's the NFL's plan.  There is no tolerance for that type of behavior in the NFL.  It is counter to everything the league stands for, it's unwanted at an entertainment event it's paying customers use as a way to get away from life's problems.

SAR I

39 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Ungrateful athletes shouldn't take political positions. Now, here, pay me $50 to rent this parking space for three hours so I can afford to donate $250k to a white supremacist who promised to do away with the job-killing and unamerican Estate Tax. 

Taxation is theft *coughs

18 minutes ago, SAR I said:

That's quite naive.

Colin Kaepernick, under any other circumstances, would have at least been tapped by a desperate team as a backup if only to bring him in for a week and see if he can play the game at a high level, the Jets and Browns come to mind, a few others.  This guy is being given the silent treatment, he's been blacklisted.  And that's the NFL's plan.  There is no tolerance for that type of behavior in the NFL.  It is counter to everything the league stands for, it's unwanted at an entertainment event it's paying customers use as a way to get away from life's problems.

SAR I

I don't buy that for a second.  You give the NFL too much credit.  Conspiracy theories like this one are typically exactly that - An unproven, unfounded theory with no support or evidence to back it up. 

Especially when there is a clear precedence for this.   I think Ray Rice is a closer example than Tebow.  Many players have hit their wives, many players find work.  Had Rice not hit his wife he would have a career at least 2 or 3 years more.  But he was a decling talent that would have simply brought too much of a distraction.  The NFL owners didn't blacklist him, it was just a matter of he wasn't worth the headache.   

NFL owners don't care about anything but money and winning - signing CK would be more a negative than a positive. 

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

NFL owners don't care about anything but money and winning - signing CK would be more a negative than a positive. 

Ah, but there is.

TV contracts and public perception mean far more to an NFL owner than cash and win loss record.  If the public attention wanes, TV ratings fall, commercial time can't be sold, other leagues gain momentum, and that's what causes franchise valuations to fall and it's the franchise valuation that the owners care about.  The 'value' of the 32 teams' brands is paramount.  When you have one player that can threaten the value of an entire league it's a major problem. 

And that's why Colin Kaepernick better buy a car wash or a Kia dealership if he knows what's good for him (all evidence to the contrary).

SAR I

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

No, he is being black-balled by NFL owners who are making a very loud and public statement about how their employees are expected to act as role models and highly compensated athletes.  Colin took a racist knee on White America, NFL owners are taking a knee on racism.  They won't tolerate it.  That's a good thing. 

The NFL is a shining example of racial harmony in the United States.  I am proud of the owners reinforcing that point by not hiring racist Colin Kaepernick.

SAR I

Oh, OK

:)

5 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I don't buy that for a second.  You give the NFL too much credit.  Conspiracy theories like this one are typically exactly that - An unproven, unfounded theory with no support or evidence to back it up. 

Especially when there is a clear precedence for this.   I think Ray Rice is a closer example than Tebow.  Many players have hit their wives, many players find work.  Had Rice not hit his wife he would have a career at least 2 or 3 years more.  But he was a decling talent that would have simply brought too much of a distraction.  The NFL owners didn't blacklist him, it was just a matter of he wasn't worth the headache.   

Kapernick just isn't very good anymore and decided to jump on the protesting fad for social media cred and dug himself an even deeper hole. If he were any good this would work but he's not. Twitter opions are basically the opposite of any conventional reality.

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Great point! In the NFL, you can beat women, be a druggie, even commit vehicular manslaughter, and still be in good standing. But draw peaceful attention to something that you truly believe in, and you're a bad guy. But as ethically challenged that any of these owners are, Godell is way worse.

8 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

This made me laugh so hard I almost choked. NFL owners have looked the other way with wife beaters, rapists,murderer's and guys with rap sheet's longer than my arm. I have no love for Kaepernick at all and it has nothing to do with his personal belief's but saying NFL owners give a sh*t about role models is so friggin silly its almost offensive. I seriously doubt with their track record that NFL owners are taking the moral high ground(from your point of view) on anything. It's all about the bottom line here and that is MONEY. They are afraid that their pocketbooks will be lighter that's all. Kaepernick is no longer an NFL starter for whatever reason but to say that the NFL Owners are not signing Kaepernick as some kind stand against anything is ridiculous.

7 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

This made me laugh so hard I almost choked. NFL owners have looked the other way with wife beaters, rapists,murderer's and guys with rap sheet's longer than my arm. I have no love for Kaepernick at all and it has nothing to do with his personal belief's but saying NFL owners give a sh*t about role models is so friggin silly its almost offensive. I seriously doubt with their track record that NFL owners are taking the moral high ground(from your point of view) on anything. It's all about the bottom line here and that is MONEY. They are afraid that their pocketbooks will be lighter that's all. Kaepernick is no longer an NFL starter for whatever reason but to say that the NFL Owners are not signing Kaepernick as some kind stand against anything is ridiculous.

SAR is in another world..Bizarro world

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Pretty sure these owners saw the film of Kapernick getting outplayed by Bryce Petty. Could be wrong tho.

He also didn't seem all that interested in playing football last year at all. It's hard to find reasons why you'd bring him into your locker room. Pretty much all you can point to is that he was good under Harbaugh, but every QB is good under Harbaugh.

11 hours ago, SAR I said:

That's humorous, but it's more like in any line of work an employee knows what is acceptable workplace behavior and what is not by looking at the actions of his co-workers and superiors.

Work for Google, it's okay to take a nap in the afternoon, work for IBM it's a fire-able offense.  Work for the NFL, it's okay to tell a reporter something that's bothering you, bring your racial agenda to the playing field, it's a fire-able offense.

SAR I

Other pro athletes have voiced support for the BLM movement without disrespecting this country

Lebron James, Dwayne Wade Carmelo etc stood for the national anthem but still expressed their opinion

Kaepernick hates this country for reasons I'm not going to go into.  He's an idiot and an embarassment 

Kaepernick was the QB for a 2-14 football team.  Sure he didn't have a great team around him but he didn't help energize the team either.  Even before his national anthem situation there was talk about his numbers and could he recover from his surgeries.  I remember pictures of him floating around about how skinny he had gotten during last offseason.  He also opted out of his contract and one has to ask why would he do that?

We can debate was he right or wrong to stand for the flag all day and discuss NFL players who have committed crimes.  His issues were on the actual field when fans were watching a game relaxing from daily life.  Instead his kneeling for the anthem was the highlight of the pregame show.  Add in his pig socks and his refusal to vote and there you have it. 

There were other players who did kneel during the anthem and they have jobs. 

Regardless of his views he's just a washed up crappy QB, plus or minus nothing. Would be surprised if any team picks him up. Maybe he has a future in the CFL. Then he could stand for the Canadian National Anthem. 

12 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Wife beatings, assault, DWI's, these are all individual offenses, it talks to a single player's mistake, it does not impact an entire league.

Colin Kaepernick attempted to bring the racist BLM movement into the NFL, attempted to poison the well of an entire sport.  Yeah, the bottom line here is "money", and the few fans that were offended by dog fighting couldn't bring down the foundation of the sport.  One racist with a public agenda could.

If you can't see the difference, keep laughing, just shows your ignorance.

SAR I

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Wife beatings, assault, DWI's, these are all individual offenses, it talks to a single player's mistake, it does not impact an entire league.

Colin Kaepernick attempted to bring the racist BLM movement into the NFL, attempted to poison the well of an entire sport.  Yeah, the bottom line here is "money", and the few fans that were offended by dog fighting couldn't bring down the foundation of the sport.  One racist with a public agenda could.

If you can't see the difference, keep laughing, just shows your ignorance.

SAR I

I'm not sure you're the best person to lecture someone about their ignorance. 

8 hours ago, Lot K Tailgaters said:

There were other players who did kneel during the anthem and they have jobs. 

He was the rabble-rouser who started the drama.  That's why NFL owners have blacklisted him.

This is office politics, has nothing to do with the issue or who's right or who's wrong.  A single player decided to infuse his morality onto an entire league and for that he is being punished.  It's convenient that he is on the downside of his career, but this would have happened anyway with any other player.  The 32 owners cannot risk this happening again and they are sending a clear message.

SAR I

1 hour ago, Klecko73isGod said:

I'm not sure you're the best person to lecture someone about their ignorance. 

That's debatable, but the facts support me.

Did Michael Vick's dogfighting cost the Atlanta Falcons billions of dollars in lost revenue?  No.  Did Ray Rice's wife beating cripple the Baltimore Ravens?  No.  Did Plaxico Burress' handgun bankrupt the Giants?  No.  Alcohol, fisticuffs, assault, strip club skirmishes, these are small-potato issues, isolated incidents, poor judgement on an individual level. 

What Colin Kaepernick attempted to do was create a league-wide protest which enraged fans and affected the TV networks and their sponsors, cost the league millions, jeopardizes future revenue streams, puts at risk the TV contracts themselves.  That's the difference.  A 30 second story on Ray Rice in a shooting incident is forgotten in a week.  A BLM protest before every NFL game 4x a week isn't a story that goes away.  That's why he's out of the league.

SAR I

21 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

No....no they don't. 

From what we hear and read the Kaepernick uprising cost the NFL and the networks and the sponsors tens of millions of dollars in lost revenue.  Viewership was down 30% or more in some instances, advertisers and networks were asking for commensurate clawbacks.

Please give me another example in the history of the NFL where an incident related to a single player (ie Vick and dogfighting) cost the league this much in terms of money and damage control.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

From what we hear and read the Kaepernick uprising cost the NFL and the networks and the sponsors tens of millions of dollars in lost revenue.  Viewership was down 30% or more in some instances, advertisers and networks were asking for commensurate clawbacks.

Please give me another example in the history of the NFL where an incident related to a single player (ie Vick and dogfighting) cost the league this much in terms of money and damage control.

SAR I

https://www.si.com/nfl/photo/2016/10/20/nfl-television-ratings-decline-causes - Here are 9 other reasons why viewership was down. 

From what we hear and read, 29% of it must be Kaepernick.

35 minutes ago, mtwarlock31 said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/photo/2016/10/20/nfl-television-ratings-decline-causes - Here are 9 other reasons why viewership was down. 

From what we hear and read, 29% of it must be Kaepernick.

You have one of the most compelling elections in decades, two teams on an MLB World Series run that haven't won a title in a combined 176 years.

Not to mention the historically sh*tty product the NFL was on the field last year. 

But yeah... it was all Kaepernick. 

And that dumbass Roger Goodell probably seriously wonders why fans didn't react more positively to color rush uniforms. 

Have no idea what % of the down swing is on Kaepernick, but I personally know quite a few fans, who at least claim, they are not watching the NFL right now because of Kaepernick's, and other players, kneeling antics.

Dolphins had their first playoff year in a long time, they also had 4 players who were kneeling.  I know several Fish fans who just stopped watching, during an exciting season for the Fish because of the kneeling.  Certainly proves nothing except that some fans are in fact taking great exception to the behavior.   

20 minutes ago, mtwarlock31 said:

http://uk.businessinsider.com/nfl-ratings-down-for-2016-and-might-continue-to-slump-2017-2?r=US&IR=T

Ratings might continue to slump in 2017. This is all Colin's fault!

Not sure how they will recover the 30% viewership drop. Maybe offer PSLs to TV viewers? That should get them in the seats to watch all the games.

Once they break the monopoly that directv has on showing out of market games then viewing will go up.   Plus Kaepernick was a BIG reason viewership was down.  Liberals do not watch football, they watch scripted programs.  Moderates and Conservatives watch sports and that did have an impact because the league didn't stop the disrespect to our Flag and national anthem.   

Archived