If we're going to trade Sheldon Richardson, we should do it today

RedBeardedSavage

If we're not going to re-sign him.  If his presence on the team was one of the sources of the quit or bad attitude last year.  If his value is still high enough to exchange picks with another team in round 2 or 3, to be used in a trade package.

Then we should trade him today.  Dalvin Cook and Cam Robinson are still available.  Can we use Sheldon to exchange picks with someone ahead of us?

I think the time to talk to teams is when they're on the clock (or close to it) - they can see who is an option and (hopefully) conclude that SRich is a better option than what they were looking at doing.

But I won't be surprised if such a trade happened in Rd 4 rather than 2 or 3. :-( 

Another giant fail by Macc. Not only has he failed to trade an obvious cancer when his stock was still high and there was value to be had, he has failed to rectify the logjam at DE, one he created.

Macc hasn't been good as a GM to date, but this situation has been Idzik-level atrocious. 

Every day I marvel at the fact that Sheldon is still on our roster.

34 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I had hoped we could deal with washington but Allen fell to them.

Dallas still needs help on the dline

Perfect trade partner and the rumblings going into the draft was that we were gonna try and move him during the draft. I think today might actually be that day.  Nab the extra 2nd and move on. 

5 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Perfect trade partner and the rumblings going into the draft was that we were gonna try and monde him during the draft. I think today might actually be that day.  Nab the extra 2nd and move on. 

If Mac can pull that off and get Dallas 2nd rounder, I'll forgive him for his other sins and for that stale, sour coffee breath.

17 minutes ago, peebag said:

It's not going to happen.  He'll play this season and we'll franchise him next year.  We're not getting any value back from trading him.

Say what you will, he is a very talented player.

That is one hell of a lot of money if we franchise him,.  I don't see it. 

I think he is a lunk head but as you note he has talent and he will be motivated to have a big year.  I wouldn't even mind this if I thought our coach would have a foggy clue how to use him and the other good players on defense.

43 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Can we trade Mo Wilk instead?

That'd be cool, but I'd even be for keeping both again.

See how both Sheldon and Wilk perform.  Then, if Sheldon outperforms Wilk (very likely), re-sign Sheldon for probably a bit cheaper than Wlik's deal.

Then try to trade Wilk, or cut him for an 8 mil cap hit in 2018.  The cap hit isn't ideal, but better than living with a huge contract for a lazy player.  

Unless of course Wlik decides to give some effort this year.  Then the decision is tougher.

12 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

I think he is trading after the draft for next years 2nd or 3rd rounder.... I think most teams will wait to see if they can draft a lineman first

Since the advent of the rookie cap - a lot of teams look for cheaper (and less controversial) alternatives via the draft.

19 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

I think he is trading after the draft for next years 2nd or 3rd rounder.... I think most teams will wait to see if they can draft a lineman first

Never happen because no one giving up that much for a rental player, as there is no guarantee they will ever be able to sign him to extension.  Jets wait till after the draft there price goes down , not up.

1 hour ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

If we're not going to re-sign him.  If his presence on the team was one of the sources of the quit or bad attitude last year.  If his value is still high enough to exchange picks with another team in round 2 or 3, to be used in a trade package.

Then we should trade him today.  Dalvin Cook and Cam Robinson are still available.  Can we use Sheldon to exchange picks with someone ahead of us?

We didn't want to trade him when everyone wanted him. Now that nobody wants him we do lol. I don't think anyone wants to give up a 3rd rounder for him. Jets best bet is hope he gets a good deal next offseason so we get 3rd round comp

7 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

We didn't want to trade him when everyone wanted him. Now that nobody wants him we do lol. I don't think anyone wants to give up a 3rd rounder for him. Jets best bet is hope he gets a good deal next offseason so we get 3rd round comp

Except here's the thing. A 3rd round comp in 2018 is essentially outside the top 96 picks, and therefore carries the chart value of the top pick in round 4. The top pick in round 4, in 2018, is worth what in the 2016 season when they were surely putting out feelers to move him (especially after locking up Mo)? 

If his best offer in 2016 was a 3rd rounder in 2017, that's also the value of a 2nd rounder in 2018. Plus we'll be another $10m+ more in the red on the cap, for a player that is often put out of position, or forces the Jets to line up 4 DTs (making it a slow DL), as well as ensuring another kid isn't getting snaps/experience. That he's a douchebag, the youngsters can see the laziness he gets away with, and is always a suspension risk, only makes it worse. Then lastly, the only way we actually get that 3rd round comp in 2018 is if we stay away from FAs that would cancel out the pick.

In short - which is my kryptonite - we should have traded him while we could, or take what we can get now.

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Except here's the thing. A 3rd round comp in 2018 is essentially outside the top 96 picks, and therefore carries the chart value of the top pick in round 4. The top pick in round 4, in 2018, is worth what in the 2016 season when they were surely putting out feelers to move him (especially after locking up Mo)? 

If his best offer in 2016 was a 3rd rounder in 2017, that's also the value of a 2nd rounder in 2018. Plus we'll be another $10m+ more in the red on the cap, for a player that is often put out of position, or forces the Jets to line up 4 DTs (making it a slow DL), as well as ensuring another kid isn't getting snaps/experience. That he's a douchebag, the youngsters can see the laziness he gets away with, and is always a suspension risk, only makes it worse. Then lastly, the only way we actually get that 3rd round comp in 2018 is if we stay away from FAs that would cancel out the pick.

In short - which is my kryptonite - we should have traded him while we could, or take what we can get now.

Nailed it. In many instances (draft day trades, trading players on the block, free agency, contract extensions for promising players) Maccagnan tends to be too slow and/or too stubborn to make effective timely decisions.

If you want to move a guy, see what the market is showing you and take the best deal you can get. Otherwise don't let it get public. Value drops, situations get messy. Haven't seen it work yet.

1 hour ago, Raideraholic said:

Never happen because no one giving up that much for a rental player, as there is no guarantee they will ever be able to sign him to extension.  Jets wait till after the draft there price goes down , not up.

I disagree but understand your thought process

2 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

I disagree but understand your thought process

Listen I'm not trying to tick anyone off because no one wants to lose a talented asset for anything less than what we perceive that player to be worth.  

This news the Jets are contacting teams about Sheldon Richardson screams desperation that they want to get this guy off there roster. ( despite what they say, they will take the  best deal they get).       This Jet FO has done a great job stopping the leaks , and  now this news coming out for a reason.    ( See Mychal Kendricks who the Eagles been trying to desperately trade.( owed a lot of money still on contract that they wanted a fifth  , and will probably give him up for a seventh round. 

I'd take whatever the best offer is. I don't care if it's worse than the comp pick we're eventually getting. Whatever it is added to him not being here anymore polluting the locker room is worth it. We're not winning anything this year and he's the king turd on the roster. 

Archived