Serby's piece on Hackenberg

Gangrene

Steve Serby's wrote a short readable piece... it gives you an idea through the eyes of teammates where Christian H.  is at with his progress

When you ask Sheldon Richardson about the difference in Christian Hackenberg from a year ago, he won’t tell you there are five reasons the locker room is better this season … but he won’t rush to spout any sugarcoated party line either.

“Slowly progressing … still got a little ways to go. … He’s getting better every day … that’s pretty much it. Slowly progressing, man,” Richardson said.

“He still needs to get past the learning curve. It’s still too fast for him. But other than that, man, he’s still got a cannon. He’s firing it. When he’s on point, he’s on point, but when he’s not, he’s not, so got some growing still.”

Coach Todd Bowles, following a 5-11 season, doesn’t have the time to wait for Hackenberg to grow up. It is why Josh McCown, if he still is standing at the end of training camp, will be the starter, and the open quarterback competition initially will be Hackenberg versus Bryce Petty for the No. 2 job.

Hackenberg’s throwing motion appears noticeably smoother, but he still has yet to throw a regular-season pass in anger, and it remains true that Rome wasn’t built in a day.

“Quicker release,” cornerback Buster Skrine said. “Way quicker. He used to wind up a little bit, but now it’s just out, out.”

But for all the accurate throws Hackenberg makes on a cloudy day at the end of May — a beautiful deep ball that Charone Peake could have caught for a touchdown, for example — there are enough that remind you that Hackenberg wasn’t built in a day either. Or rebuilt in a day.

“It’s still early,” Richardson said. “Ain’t no telling what he comes back and [does] in training camp, but it’s still early.”

Richardson was asked about the difference in Petty, who worked third behind McCown and Hackenberg on Tuesday, from a year ago at this time.

“Way better,” he said. “Him and Josh are going at it, they’re competing on every play.”

Does Richardson think the quarterback battle is between McCown and Petty?

“That’s just how I feel,” Richardson said. “Me personally.”

Based on Bryce having more experience than Hackenberg?

“Yeah, and actually by showing production on the field,” Richardson said.

Except Petty (three touchdowns, seven interceptions, 56.4 completion percentage) hardly distinguished himself at the end of last season once the Ryan Fitzpatrick Era unceremoniously ended, nor did he distinguish himself at Tuesday’s OTA, for what it’s worth on a cloudy day at the end of May.

His worst moment was a throw right to linebacker Randell Johnson. Petty’s best moment came when he threw a dime down the seam to rookie tight end Jordan Leggett. It drew a “Good shot!” from offensive coordinator John Morton.

“It’s more of a competition mindset of, ‘OK, he made a great throw. I’m gonna make a better throw.’ That kind of thing,” Petty said.

There is more invested in Hackenberg, the controversial 2016 second-round pick, than Petty, the 2015 No. 4 pick. Hackenberg likely will be The Chosen One — actually Chosen Two — if he learns the new offense quicker than Petty.

“He’s reading things a lot faster,” Skrine said.

Teammates can’t help but notice a change in Hackenberg’s body language.

Modal Triggerjetsqbs.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=300&s
Hackenberg and Bryce Petty (right) talk with the Jets quarterback coaches.Bill Kostroun

“He learned from a guy that was really smart in Fitz, and so I think he’s taken that confidence over into this aspect,” receiver Quincy Enunwa said. “He has the ability to get it deep, short …”

Hackenberg had a short pass that appeared to be tipped and dropped by rookie safety Jamal Adams, the Jets’ first-round draft pick.

“Missed opportunity,” Adams said. “It came out wobbly. I definitely had to make the play.”

Adams will be a Day 1 starter. Hackenberg didn’t see the field as a rookie.

“Steps forward. … Last year, he probably didn’t know what to expect as a rookie coming in and all that stuff,” running back Matt Forte said, “but mentally, he’s getting better. Josh is a great guy for him to be around because he’s been around a long time and can give him so much wisdom and advice towards the game and towards being a quarterback, on and off the field. So he’s gonna keep growing.”

Hackenberg is growing. Just not without the growing pains.

“He’s doing a lot better with his decisions and everything,” safety Rontez Miles said. “Looking forward to see how these guys do in the preseason … when it counts.”

When we’ll get a better read on whether Hackenberg truly can hack it.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely some positives to take away from this. 

I hate Sheldon, and didn't really have a problem with his "slowly progressing" comment. Because Hack is slowly progressing or he'd be named starter already. Hacken's whole story before the draft was that he needed to slowly develop. 

But what was annoying was him saying Petty is ahead of him "to me anyway." I mean, leave the depth chart stuff for the coaches to speak on. And the whole "to me anway" part obviously means a lot of others on the team say Hack is ahead right now. Which again, just leave it alone Sheldon. Let them compete on their own without you comparing them. Focus on your own situation, because if you want to play your natural position all year, guess what? You'll be doing it as a backup.

The "reports" on Hackenberg were to be expected, as stated before he set the bar so low if there

wasn't visible immediate improvement that would've been scary.  It's all about time, consistency

and continued progress for him through the rest of the summer

1 hour ago, Kleckineau said:

Question....

Who is the more credible evaluator of talent at the QB position. Sheldon or McCaggnan?

Depends if the qb is a ho or not. Sheldon is the authority on knowing where they are at.

3 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

Lol your right . But hey this was reasonable compared to his normal antics .. intresting I guess he really like Petty .. 

The Jets should put together a video of everyone that had comments on the quarterback situation with Fitzpatrick last year and show it to the team. When the players realize that everyone who did that last year is now gone maybe they will learn.

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

Richardson's mouth just never stops. Not a good thing.

1 hour ago, sciond said:

wait until he gets a few stats......

Someone puts a microphone in your face and asks you a question, you answer it. I don't have any issue with what Sheldon said. Now, if he goes running to reporters and just running his mouth then its a problem, but when people are asking him specific questions what do you expect him to do?  

I expect the responses to this post to be "he needs to say its up to the coaches"... "you have to ask the coaches" "don't say anything Sheldon" - - - -

Calm --- down ---- people 

36 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Depends if the qb is a ho or not. Sheldon is the authority on knowing where they are at.

IDK, I think we need a thread examining the tweet.  After in depth study of it on You-tube it looks to me like Shelly couldn't find a Ho with a fist full of 50's . :)

27 minutes ago, Stark said:

Someone puts a microphone in your face and asks you a question, you answer it. I don't have any issue with what Sheldon said. Now, if he goes running to reporters and just running his mouth then its a problem, but when people are asking him specific questions what do you expect him to do?  

I expect the responses to this post to be "he needs to say its up to the coaches"... "you have to ask the coaches" "don't say anything Sheldon" - - - -

Calm --- down ---- people 

I don't mind it. But I would think as a coach and the team, it's a little tooooo much info for the liking. Feel like a player shouldn't be saying if another player is ahead of someone or not or winning a competition, regardless of the position. Even if it's the truth. Then that just puts the coaches in a bad spot if they go another way, then the media can bring it up again to Sheldon and so on. It's just better to keep it simple. 

28 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

I don't mind it. But I would think as a coach and the team, it's a little tooooo much info for the liking. Feel like a player shouldn't be saying if another player is ahead of someone or not or winning a competition, regardless of the position. Even if it's the truth. Then that just puts the coaches in a bad spot if they go another way, then the media can bring it up again to Sheldon and so on. It's just better to keep it simple. 

it's May, not a big deal. if the coaches get put in a bad spot by this then we have bigger issues. 

So far I've heard the Hacken has:

- Improved footwork

- Quicker release

- Better understanding of what's happening mentally

- More confident approach.

Take the time between final ota's and training camp and goncompete for that starting spot. Even if McCown is slightly ahead, Hacken or Petty need to start. Overpay McCown to teach them, but not to start if the competition is close.

37 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Yeah

Standard quote from a player on another player should be something like, "IDK man, I'm just trying to make the roster".  Anything else you say the media is going to twist, take out of context, or just misquote you for a better story., 

13 minutes ago, Stark said:

it's May, not a big deal. if the coaches get put in a bad spot by this then we have bigger issues. 

It's not a big deal, but I'm sure he'll get asked the same thing again during training camp. Media knows to go to Sheldon to get a good quote. 

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Hate this time of year, so much bullsh*t and meaningless off-season speak rattling around, grasped desperately by fans.

Not a word of this article means anything. 

Tell this to the alarmists on this site. Every tweet sends them rushing ti the keyboard with trembling fingers. 

Hard time of the year.

I don't have a problem with what any of the players said. You are not going to get an honest opinion from management or the coaches, just tired sound bites.

The players are only stating a personal opinion but in a world where everything is filtered through a PR department, it's refreshing.

What we learned there is some progress and so far experience has the edge in the QB competition. Not earth shattering  but the team seems to be on the same page in the OTAs.

Was watching NFL network last night, and they were doing a piece on the Broncos, and how Simien and Lynch were struggling in OTA's. Vance Joesph had an interesting take on OTA's......said that he sees OTA's as the time when QB's learn the offense and termonolgy etc, and that the job will be won in the preseason and in training camp. Food for thought, huh? Imagine an organization that is actually practical and patient.

6 minutes ago, section314 said:

Was watching NFL network last night, and they were doing a piece on the Broncos, and how Simien and Lynch were struggling in OTA's. Vance Joesph had an interesting take on OTA's......said that he sees OTA's as the time when QB's learn the offense and termonolgy etc, and that the job will be won in the preseason and in training camp. Food for thought, huh? Imagine an organization that is actually practical and patient.

Lynch checks off all the boxes, so no worries there, even has a first round pick.

10 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Tell this to the alarmists on this site. Every tweet sends them rushing ti the keyboard with trembling fingers. 

Hard time of the year.

trembling fingers? I'd say more like boners, that their agenda is being supported.

Archived