Costello: The NFL is viciously roasting the Jets, who have "no plan."

T0mShane

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

It may be overrated, but I think it has some merit.  The problem is that people want a "team leader" that is going to show/tell these guys how to play.  That is the coaches job.  What I think you actually want is somebody who, by example, will do exactly what you want in the film room and in the weight room.  That is where a guy like Thomas Jones can be valuable.  The guy is a beast lifting.  

Some of these guys get a bit sloppy and out of shape - look at ASJ.  He lost how much weight since he stopped drinking?  I doubt guys like Marshall are what you want your younger players to emulate.  Thomas Jones, Harris, and to a lesser extent Decker and maybe Steve Smith.

You'd be surprised how much having a guy that busts his ass in practice and the weight room and pays attention in meetings and film study can influence others.  Guys don't want to let the others down.   If you have a bunch of goof-offs, guys can be embarrassed to be the only one that seems to care.

That's fine but are we honestly saying the Jets dont have a single player on the roster with a few years under their belt that fit that bill? 

If this awful roster win more games than the playoff roster the Jets assembled last year, I wonder who will be the laughing stock .

Personal foul, Pilling on, giving them the business because we can, still 1st down .

1 hour ago, JiF said:

This article is both right and wrong but mostly just misguided.

The Jets being the laughing stock of the NFL is nothing new and it certainly isnt because of what they've done this offseason.  Their strategy this offseason is 100% the right thing to do; get rid of the sh*tty old vets who are locker room cancers.  Sure, the way the treated Harris was dirty but honestly, who cares?  Yes, getting rid of that diva Decker is 100% the right thing to do but not getting anything for him is the travesty.  He is 100% a player they should be receiving compensation for.  You telling me that the Panthers werent willing to part ways with a late round pick to have 1 viable option for Cam?  Sure they would and that's why the league is laughing...Mac is a ******* push over pusswah joke of a GM and everyone knows it.  See: Sheldon Richardson and Calvin Pyror.   And you dont need veterans to show young players the ropes, you have an enormous coahing staff filled with former players who literally get paid to do that job.  Besides, they still have plenty of veterans on the team to give guidance to young players.  

The article is right, the time to rebuild was 2015. They didnt. And the part that everyone was laughing at was Bowles tying his career to Ryan sh*tzpatrick.  Everyone and their mother (outside of a select few on this board) knew that was an absolute disaster in the making and look at us now!  Literally every single FA signing was destined to blow up in his face and everyone single of them did except for Jame Carpenter.  And then doubling down in 2016 actually thinking they were contender was the other laughable part. Reaching for need and continuing to add sh*tty old veterans as if they actually had a shot at doing something with sh*tzpatrick at the helm was indeed, laughable.

All that said, what the Jets are doing right now is the correct strategy and nobody is laughing at it because the Jets are ******* terrible and no miracle offseason was going to change that fact.  The issue is, the person in charge of the 2nd rebuild in 3 years, is a ******* clown with no vision, no idea how to build a roster, no clue how to draft and absolute joke around the GM communities in the league. 

Decker is a big question mark after coming off of not one but 2 off season surgeries.  I don't blame this team for cutting him. 

2 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

I'm all for the rebuild. I just don't think Mac is the guy to do it based on his performance so far. The guy is all over the place. The way it looks now they will have a top 5 pick but you have to understand how much that delights me and scares the sh*t out of me. You want them to make the right move but its always there in the back of your mind that they will screw it up. Say they get the #1 and Darnold stays in school? Will the "Suck for Sam" guys lose their sh*t? Nothing is set in stone and anything can happen during a football season as every fan knows. What if by some miracle they win 6 or 7 games and Hack looks decent? Does anyone really think Mac will draft a QB then? No he will think he was right all along and blow that cap money on players they had to overspend to get to come here. At least that's what it seems to me will happen. The Jets are looking like they are going to tank this season and it looks as though Mac is just waiting to fire Bowles and bring in "his guy" but I just don't trust Mac enough to make the right moves. It really looks like the Jets don't have a plan or the plan is so convoluted that no one can make sense out of it but Mac. If that's the case we are screwed and will be back on the crap carousel once again. SO get ready kiddies!! It will be another 10 months of QB threads and bullsh*t until we see just what the hell Mac has in store. I'm pretty sure this time next year a lot of these threads are going to look the same as they do now.

I have a plan to retire at 45 and bang supermodels. So far, the execution of that plan has been terrible.

52 minutes ago, peebag said:

Decker is a big question mark after coming off of not one but 2 off season surgeries.  I don't blame this team for cutting him. 

No reason to keep him or Harris. Save the money and have it roll over for next season instead of maybe getting an extra win this year. The team stinks with or without them.

17 hours ago, T0mShane said:

It’s hard to laugh when you’re the NFL’s punch line.

The Jets were a punch line when Rex and Tanny and Idzik ran the asylum. I think Maccagnan has a plan and who is to say if his plan is flawed until they see the final result? There Giants front office people should mind their own business and not criticize the Jets when they have made a lot of mistakes themselves. I think Bowles is a lame duck and that's ok with me as I would have fired him after last year. The system the Jets use is dysfunctional when the HC and GM each report to the owner independently of each other.

3 hours ago, RoadFan said:

This "no plan" thing is bullsh*t.  The plan is exactly what they should be doing.  "Accidentally-on purpose" tanking for a blue chip QB prospect.

If people around the league want to question their tactics and couth for execution of the plan, so be it.

A team this bereft of offensive talent does not use it's top 2 picks on safeties. It makes zero sense. In fact the coach this idiot has picked ( the GM who ever it is has really had no say in the hiring of a coach since Tannenbaum helped hire Mangini)  stuck his nose into the draft war room and got final say on these picks. Bowles was smiling ear to ear; but how is the team gonna score at all? This offense is going to be historically awful. As with all resources under Johnson, the defense gets all the resources and the offense gets empty promises about next season.  And that could be because Bowles doesn't answer to the GM but to the owner, who also has no business being in the room. Totally defensible to cut these guys with an eye on tanking, but could have done it way earlier. And further the McCown move looks even worse if the big concern is $. You could have signed McCown or some vet like him for pennies/vet minimum the day after the draft rather than fund his retirement. 

13 minutes ago, Bugg said:

A team this bereft of offensive talent does not use it's top 2 picks on safeties. It makes zero sense. In fact the coach this idiot has picked ( the GM who ever it is has really had no say in the hiring of a coach since Tannenbaum helped hire Mangini)  stuck his nose into the draft war room and got final say on these picks. Bowles was smiling ear to ear; but how is the team gonna score at all? This offense is going to be historically awful. As with all resources under Johnson, the defense gets all the resources and the offense gets empty promises about next season.  And that could be because Bowles doesn't answer to the GM but to the owner, who also has no business being in the room. Totally defensible to cut these guys with an eye on tanking, but could have done it way earlier. And further the McCown move looks even worse if the big concern is $. You could have signed McCown or some vet like him for pennies/vet minimum the day after the draft rather than fund his retirement. 

You misunderstood me.  I am not advocating for the execution thus far.  That remains to be seen if the safties can play or not.  Personally, I would have focused more on the OL to protect whatever QB they draft next April.  But it was a bad OL draft, so they say.

I am only supporting the plan itself.  The same one I myself would have put into place after week 3 in Kansas City.

Drafting the safeties does justify my opinion from when I continued to insist how awful Pryor was, even when many erroneously started saying I was wrong early in 2015. 

3 hours ago, RoadFan said:

This "no plan" thing is bullsh*t.  The plan is exactly what they should be doing.  "Accidentally-on purpose" tanking for a blue chip QB prospect.

If people around the league want to question their tactics and couth for execution of the plan, so be it.

Agreed. This whole notion if there being a non existent plan is bullsh*t story telling by the media. To me, there is a CLEAR plan. 

Now, whether or not you agree with the plan is an entirelt different discussion (I happen to agree with the plan). 

The plan is clear. TANK! That's the overall plan. But its more than just that. 

- Start or devote maximum reps to the players this regime has drafted, and see who is worth keeping and developing further.

- Clear cap space to re-sign our own players, and add judiciously in free agency. 

- Quarterback ! Find one ! Once and for all ! Give our 2nd round pick a mentor to learn from and as many starts as possible once he's ready, for evaluation. 

- If he's not your man, you should be in position to draft from one of the better advertised quarterback pools in a long time.

- If you somehow aren't in position to draft a quarterback you like, or they all have terrible seasons, you have cap spce to sign potential free agents Garropollo or Cousins, and continue Hack developing into a future starter or long term back up.

You can hate this plan. Everyone has an opinion. But to say there is no plan is a lazy assumption. 

To those asking okay then why cut Harris and Decker NOW?

Decker they needed to see if he was healthy enough to avoid paying any injury $ by cutting him before cleared for action, and to increase the little trade value he already had.

Harris, should have just been cut in the winter. But, they hoped they could squeeze one more year out of him. He probably looked even slower than last year in ota's, and figured okay it's done.  Times up. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I have a plan to retire at 45 and bang supermodels. So far, the execution of that plan has been terrible.

Well T0m, I suspect you don't actually have a plan, you have a fantasy.  There's a difference

1 hour ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

they are gonna get dick for compensation for eric decker and that is 100% on the ineptness of Maccagnan. 

Who publicly announces they are about to cut a player but also would like to trade him?

FIRE MACAGNAN

13 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Agreed. This whole notion if there being a non existent plan is bullsh*t story telling by the media. To me, there is a CLEAR plan. 

Now, whether or not you agree with the plan is an entirelt different discussion (I happen to agree with the plan). 

The plan is clear. TANK! That's the overall plan. But its more than just that. 

- Start or devote maximum reps to the players this regime has drafted, and see who is worth keeping and developing further.

- Clear cap space to re-sign our own players, and add judiciously in free agency. 

- Quarterback ! Find one ! Once and for all ! Give our 2nd round pick a mentor to learn from and as many starts as possible once he's ready, for evaluation. 

- If he's not your man, you should be in position to draft from one of the better advertised quarterback pools in a long time.

- If you somehow aren't in position to draft a quarterback you like, or they all have terrible seasons, you have cap spce to sign potential free agents Garropollo or Cousins, and continue Hack developing into a future starter or long term back up.

You can hate this plan. Everyone has an opinion. But to say there is no plan is a lazy assumption. 

To those asking okay then why cut Harris and Decker NOW?

Decker they needed to see if he was healthy enough to avoid paying any injury $ by cutting him before cleared for action, and to increase the little trade value he already had.

Harris, should have just been cut in the winter. But, they hoped they could squeeze one more year out of him. He probably looked even slower than last year in ota's, and figured okay it's done.  Times up. 

There is no plan.  David Harris was practicing less than 48 hours ago.  This is chaos

11 minutes ago, thadude said:

There is no plan.  David Harris was practicing less than 48 hours ago.  This is chaos

Practicing yes. But who knows how he looked since ota's started? Even worse and slower than last year would be justification enough to be cut. 

36 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Practicing yes. But who knows how he looked since ota's started? Even worse and slower than last year would be justification enough to be cut. 

If Harris - or Decker for that matter - tore up his knee in OTAs, how would that factor into the "plan"?

16 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If Harris - or Decker for that matter - tore up his knee in OTAs, how would that factor into the "plan"?

With Decker coming off two surgeries, he had zero trade value if he didn't show he was fit to play. If he got hurt, then it woulda equaled the same result if they kept Decker and he inevitably got hurt during the season. They didn't have any choice really. Showcase him and hope for a 6th round pick.

Harris, I don't think they had real intentions of cutting him, until they saw him play. It might have been bad enough.

Just now, Adoni Beast said:

With Decker coming off two surgeries, he had zero trade value if he didn't show he was fit to play. If he got hurt, then it woulda equaled the same result if they kept Decker and he inevitably got hurt during the season. They didn't have any choice really. Showcase him and hope for a 6th round pick.

Harris, I don't think they had real intentions of cutting him, until they saw him play. It might have been bad enough.

Again, just because Mike Maccagnan didn't orchestrate a trade doesn't mean there was never a trade possible. He's legitimately terrible at this.

It seems the "clearer head" that prevailed, impossibly, was that of Woody Johnson. Even that boob knows you don't tank by holding onto a pair of veterans that could help presently and strip the team of $14m in spending room a year later. 

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Again, just because Mike Maccagnan didn't orchestrate a trade doesn't mean there was never a trade possible. He's legitimately terrible at this.

It seems the "clearer head" that prevailed, impossibly, was that of Woody Johnson. Even that boob knows you don't tank by holding onto a pair of veterans that could help presently and strip the team of $14m in spending room a year later. 

I wasn't debating whether or not this was Woody or Mac's decision. My original point was that there is an overall plan here by Woody, Mac, and Bowles. Youth movement and make room for a qb and $ to build around Hack or whoever they draft or sign next year. 

Woody is probably the most extreme "dump" end of spectrum

Mac more in the middle with a lean to "dump"

Bowles probably in overall agreement on this strategy, but definitely wanting to keep some vets and win as much as possible this year. Which is impossible now.

I wonder if Forte makes it to Week 1?

5 hours ago, JiF said:

That's fine but are we honestly saying the Jets dont have a single player on the roster with a few years under their belt that fit that bill? 

Agreed.  I think the players are most likely to follow the example set by the most successful and highest paid.  That is why a Yankee team with guys like Bernie Williams and Derek Jeter running out grounders is important.  Kind of hard for the Ricky Ledees and Andy Foxes of the world not to play hard.  Now put Brandon Marshall at the top of you WR list - who do they emulate?  

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

How many years until you tear it down and start the rebuild?

2 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

The Jets were a punch line when Rex and Tanny and Idzik ran the asylum. I think Maccagnan has a plan and who is to say if his plan is flawed until they see the final result? There Giants front office people should mind their own business and not criticize the Jets when they have made a lot of mistakes themselves. I think Bowles is a lame duck and that's ok with me as I would have fired him after last year. The system the Jets use is dysfunctional when the HC and GM each report to the owner independently of each other.

Now we have to wait for the "final result"?  What is the final result?  Each year's team is an entity in and of itself.  Even if you want to blame the past, in 3 years you can totally overhaul an NFL roster.  It doesn't take longer unless you ****ed up.  Even worse, they took over a team that was a blank slate and they scribbled on it like Bart Simpson. 

Everyone knows ya gotta break some eggs to make a cake.

In the NFL that means in order effect change drastic roster changes are unavoidable.

Unfortunately for us fans, McCaggnan is breaking the eggs on his head and clucking like a chicken and Bowles is using pages from the cookbook to wipe his azz.

51 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It seems the "clearer head" that prevailed, impossibly, was that of Woody Johnson.

If that's your theory then the timing is fine. Maccagnan isn't in charge and everybody knows it. Bowles isn't in charge and everybody knows it. If this means it's Woody, whatever. He's a stupid dick but it's still better than having nobody in charge. The buck never stops anywhere and the problem with this goddamn team begins and ends with that. I mean people are arguing in 2017 about whether this or that draft pick in 2007 was attributable primarily to Mangini or Tannenbaum. That's this silly-ass team in a nutshell.

23 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The NFL is viciously roasting the Jets, who have "no plan."

The Jets are the laughingstock of the NFL, and they have not even lost a game yet in 2017.

People around the league from coaches to front-office executives to player agents are cackling about the state of the Jets franchise and the team’s latest moves — releasing veteran linebacker David Harris and planning to dump wide receiver Eric Decker through either a trade or his release.

In several conversations over the past two days, NFL people have wondered whether the Jets actually have a plan, how much dysfunction there is inside the organization and why they waited until June to dump one of their most respected players.

All of it reflects poorly on owner Woody Johnson and general manager Mike Maccagnan, the architects behind this complete roster teardown (let’s not call it a rebuild until we actually see evidence of building).

“They have the worst roster in the league and it’s not close,” one executive said.

A roster that looked bad got even worse Tuesday. Harris was the heart and soul of the Jets’ defense, a player twice voted as the most inspirational player on the team and once as team MVP, in 2010. Decker impressed teammates with how he looked this spring after shoulder and hip surgeries and was clearly the best receiver the team had.

af.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&w=300&strip=
Nick Mangold, Brett Favre and Alan Faneca in 2008Anthony J. Causi

Clearly, Johnson wanted to save some money by getting rid of Harris and his $6.5 million, a shortsighted, ill-conceived decision. Harris was a respected voice in the locker room and one who could help shape second-year linebacker Darron Lee, who got himself into trouble over the weekend. Years ago, the Jets brought in guard Alan Faneca, whose greatest contribution to the Jets might have been teaching young players Nick Mangold and D’Brickashaw Ferguson how to be pros. Harris could have done the same for Lee.

The Jets are going with a youth movement, but teams still need a few veterans to point the way. Harris and Decker could have been those guides. You don’t think Decker could have helped along young receivers Robby Anderson, ArDarius Stewart, Chad Hansen and Charone Peake?

Many people around the league are scratching their heads at the timing of these decisions, particularly Harris. Why would a team treat a player who spent 10 years representing the organization well and doing the right things like this? The time to make a request for a salary cut or to release him was in February or March, not after the eighth OTA.

“It’s like they have no plan,” one agent said.

The time to rebuild was in Year 1 of the Maccagnan/Bowles regime in 2015. Instead, they went on a spending spree to be competitive, and now they are left in this strange no-man’s land, where Bowles and Maccagnan have been here for 29 months already with little to show for it.

It feels like the last two years were wasted.

That leads to questions about who can survive this season. The consensus seems to be Maccagnan is probably safe unless the team goes 1-15 or 0-16 and Johnson succumbs to public pressure. Bowles is viewed as a goner by nearly everyone. His contract expires after the 2018 season, and NFL coaches do not usually go into a season as a lame duck, meaning Johnson either has to fire or extend Bowles after this season. How can he extend a coach if they go 3-13 or 4-12 and have missed the playoffs for three straight seasons?

On Tuesday, Bowles showed the first signs of frustration with the direction the team is going. The Harris cut clearly hit him hard. The microscope will be on his relationship with Maccagnan this season as the two appear to be operating off of different game plans.

The Jets are viewed as team that is years away from contending again, with all the pressure falling on Maccagnan and his scouting chops. There are questions about those after two drafts that have produced Leonard Williams and a whole bunch of question marks.

On Tuesday night, when Maccagnan met with reporters, he looked as somber as he ever has publicly since taking over as GM in 2015. Smiles and laughter are hard to come by around the Jets’ offices these days.

It’s hard to laugh when you’re the NFL’s punch line.

A sports writer trying to stir up controversy.  Yawn!

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Congrats. You are in line for an assistant GM position in Macs front office. You exceed expectations.

Worst type of article. 

"Many people around the league" without quoting a single person of name.

Headline should read "If I don't get more clicks for my articles I'll be back working for the local rag in Wyoming" (Apologies to our Wyoming friends)

Stay the course, do the rebuild. 

The same 'writers' who claim disaster now, will be the same praising the Jets for the 'bold move' in 2 years.

On 6/7/2017 at 9:09 PM, Matt39 said:

How the **** did this team just draft two safeties?

That is the plan.  Ha ha.  People screaming the Jets FO does not have a plan. We dont need no lousy plan!  Does Bowles have game plans week to week?  No.  This plan stuff is overrated

16 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

I wasn't debating whether or not this was Woody or Mac's decision. My original point was that there is an overall plan here by Woody, Mac, and Bowles. Youth movement and make room for a qb and $ to build around Hack or whoever they draft or sign next year. 

Woody is probably the most extreme "dump" end of spectrum

Mac more in the middle with a lean to "dump"

Bowles probably in overall agreement on this strategy, but definitely wanting to keep some vets and win as much as possible this year. Which is impossible now.

I wonder if Forte makes it to Week 1?

Mac tried to re-sign/extend both Clady and Marshall and seemed perfectly content to hang onto Harris and Decker until Woody stepped in (or so the story goes).

15 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

If that's your theory then the timing is fine. Maccagnan isn't in charge and everybody knows it. Bowles isn't in charge and everybody knows it. If this means it's Woody, whatever. He's a stupid dick but it's still better than having nobody in charge. The buck never stops anywhere and the problem with this goddamn team begins and ends with that. I mean people are arguing in 2017 about whether this or that draft pick in 2007 was attributable primarily to Mangini or Tannenbaum. That's this silly-ass team in a nutshell.

Yeah, no argument here. I think it was foolish to carry them if they were in full tank mode, and the only rationalization for either is to keep Decker to help in Hackenberg/Petty's development. Once those two looked lost again, his presence was no longer needed. If he was $3m, fine. At $7.5m, there seems little point.

Agree if the clearer head prevailing is Woody, then so be it. Maccagnan has proven incompetent anyway, so what do I care which incompetent makes the call so long as it's the right one. They fumbled the rollout with Harris, but that'll be forgotten by 99% of people before August (if not before July).

8 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Mac tried to re-sign/extend both Clady and Marshall and seemed perfectly content to hang onto Harris and Decker until Woody stepped in (or so the story goes).

Yeah, I think if we were able to keep Marshall and Decker, it would have only benefited Hacken and Petty for this year. But clearly the Jets (whether its Woody or Mac) are now gunning for a quarterback in the draft next year. Cant say I can really argue the point. But developing either of our young quarterbacks this year is gonna take a miracle with this roster.

Archived