jets viewership down the most

batman10023

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/10/19/tv-ratings-show-most-nfl-teams-losing-local-support/

Most teams in the NFL are down by more than 5 percent. The Jets, playing in America’s biggest television market, are down a whopping 37 percent. 

i for one, have been DVR the games several times this year and watching them later (skipping the commericals and stuff).

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just goes to show you perception is more important than reality.  the fact they're 3-3 is less important than starting a 38 yr old qb.

though, i wonder how much those ratings are affected b/c the jets and giants have often played at the same time, so people can't watch both anymore and the giants are definitely the bigger draw.

9 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

just goes to show you perception is more important than reality.  the fact they're 3-3 is less important than starting a 38 yr old qb.

though, i wonder how much those ratings are affected b/c the jets and giants have often played at the same time, so people can't watch both anymore and the giants are definitely the bigger draw.

I've noticed that too. They've been head to head with the Giants twice which is weird.

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I think it's the point you made about the 38 year old QB who brings ZERO excitement to anyone win, loss, or draw.  Start Petty, and then Hackenberg if Petty falters I guarantee this number decreases significantly as long as it's done before they are 3-8 you know when they are at the point of realization the season is over, and when the players quit, or are injured not giving the young QB's a REAL opportunity with a team that's committed to playing winning football instead of like I said guys sitting out with injuries, and others just going through the motions not looking to put their possible future payday at risk because of an injury, and then the other handful that just can't get themselves to care all that much once it's apparent the season is not going to result in important games, or a chance at the playoffs.

I watched virtually every game for more than 30 years.

This season?  About 4 total quarters...

I am at the point where, as far as I am concerned, there is nothing to follow until they find a franchise QB. I am doing better things with my free time... mostly fishing.

I am not going to give better than I receive from the Jets anymore.

1 minute ago, RoadFan said:

I watched virtually every game for more than 30 years.

This season?  About 4 total quarters...

I am at the point where, as far as I am concerned, there is nothing to follow until they find a franchise QB. I am doing better things with my free time... mostly fishing.

I am not going to give better than I receive from the Jets anymore.

Again as bad a decision as not drafting Watson was football wise, it's even worse one from a marketing standpoint. Offense consists largely of 38 year old journeyman handning off to Forte cashing his last big payday and  passing to Kearse and Kerley -nice complimentary players. What is this building to exactly? NOBODY see this is a  playoff team. None of these guys will contribute to the future(may be Kearse?) . At least with Petty or Hackenberg you would see players who might be part of things when it turns around. And it's not like McCown has been so wonderful. 

2 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Again as bad a decision as not drafting Watson was football wise, it's even worse one from a marketing standpoint. Offense consists largely of 38 year old journeyman handning off to Forte cashing his last big payday and  passing to Kearse and Kerley -nice complimentary players. What is this building to exactly? NOBODY see this is a  playoff team. None of these guys will contribute to the future(may be Kearse?) . At least with Petty or Hackenberg you would see players who might be part of things when it turns around. And it's not like McCown has been so wonderful. 

if bowles reported to mccags, petty would be playing.

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

It's absolutely part of it, regardless if no Jets are doing it.

The fact that the biggest drops are coming from teams where players aren't actually kneeling would argue to the contrary.  I think that's a very small portion who have tuned out for this reason, a slightly larger portion is probably blaming it for lack of an ability to articulate their true feelings.  However, I think the fact that the product has diminished so greatly, that unless you're a fan of maybe 4 or 5 teams, you have no shot of winning anything, and perhaps even more so that the generation that made the ratings explode now has families and young children, is the overwhelming majority of the reason.

EDIT: I'd also add that the rising price of attendance makes it harder for younger fans to become interested in the game.

34 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/10/19/tv-ratings-show-most-nfl-teams-losing-local-support/

Most teams in the NFL are down by more than 5 percent. The Jets, playing in America’s biggest television market, are down a whopping 37 percent. 

i for one, have been DVR the games several times this year and watching them later (skipping the commericals and stuff).

I would be curious to know what are the ratings compared to similar time slot. 

Last year to this point, the Jets had played a prime time game and a 4pm start already, which by nature have larger audiences.

Also, the weather has been great on weekends this year. That has an affect as well.

Not saying the Jets are not less interesting to the average viewer, but you have to take things into account fairly

1 minute ago, gEYno said:

The fact that the biggest drops are coming from teams where players aren't actually kneeling would argue to the contrary.  I think that's a very small portion who have tuned out for this reason, a slightly larger portion is probably blaming it for lack of an ability to articulate their true feelings.  However, I think the fact that the product has diminished so greatly, that unless your a fan of maybe 4 or 5 teams, you have no shot of winning anything, and perhaps even more so that the generation that made the ratings explode now has families and young children, is the overwhelming majority of the reason.

if you have no shot of winning, you must sell your fan base hope.  and since hope pretty much has to come in the form of a young qb, there is thus no hope being sold to the nyj fanbase.  it's not about how mccown does, or if the offense looks improved.  this is where i give tannenbaum credit, he tried like heck to get a qb.  he brought in farve, traded up for sanchez.  

10 minutes ago, gEYno said:

The fact that the biggest drops are coming from teams where players aren't actually kneeling would argue to the contrary.  I think that's a very small portion who have tuned out for this reason, a slightly larger portion is probably blaming it for lack of an ability to articulate their true feelings.  However, I think the fact that the product has diminished so greatly, that unless you're a fan of maybe 4 or 5 teams, you have no shot of winning anything, and perhaps even more so that the generation that made the ratings explode now has families and young children, is the overwhelming majority of the reason.

EDIT: I'd also add that the rising price of attendance makes it harder for younger fans to become interested in the game.

Specifically with the Jets, I'd say Mccown is the biggest reason no one cares. Vague protests just add on to the apathy across the board.

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Specifically with the Jets, I'd say Mccown is the biggest reason no one cares. Vague protests just add on to the apathy across the board.

Not that I disagree that McCown isn't exactly putting fans in the seats, but why is Josh McCown so much more of an affront than Ryan Fitzpatrick?

1 minute ago, gEYno said:

Not that I disagree that McCown isn't exactly putting fans in the seats, but why is Josh McCown so much more of an affront than Ryan Fitzpatrick?

If Fitz were back I think the same would be true. The team was unwatchable last year. The year prior they actually had a real offense.

45 minutes ago, JiF said:

It’s weird, people don’t like piss poor products. 

piss poor was the perception and the bandwagon fans jumped ship based on that.  3-3 is far from piss poor, what the giants have done so far is piss poor.  if we keep winning those #s will rise but all offseason all we heard was how we were tanking, how we'd go 0-16, etc...

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

If Fitz were back I think the same would be true. The team was unwatchable last year. The year prior they actually had a real offense.

3 minutes ago, gEYno said:

last year, fitz was coming off of a good year so there was hope.  this season the spin was rebuild, but with a veteran qb.  and they were supposed to not win a game.  

This year is essentially year 3 of the Jets' old vet trilogy. The first year was unexpectedly good so people continued to tune in last year, until it became horrific. This year many all fans realize the team isn't going anywhere there's no young qb (starting) to sell the fans on. Jets can't keep selling poop and expect the same returns. I'm happy fans have wised up.

You know what would instantly make the Jets the most watched team? Signing Kaepernick. Nobody but a handful of hillbillies watching the games on 13” lo-fi screens in small pockets of Appalachia is tuning out because of the kneeling.

The sport is hard to watch because so many teams have no QB, and even those that do have a big QB are getting undone by any team that has a Von Miller-ish edge guy. As for the Jets, there’s not one marketable player on the roster. Nobody sets their clock to watch an undersized safety miss tackles.

The good news for Jets fans is that this is the language that Woody will understand, and changes will be made. He fired Mangini bc Mangini didn’t sell tickets, and Bowles makes Mangini look like Freddie Mercury as far as entertainment value goes.

46 minutes ago, gEYno said:

This can't be right... No Jets are kneeling during the National Anthem, and I thought it was all that kneeling that killed the ratings?

Why not? I have watched 1 game this year, and its because of NFL kneeling, not because Jets were kneeling. Then the 1 I watched was fixed, so now Im done.

44 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

It's absolutely part of it, regardless if no Jets are doing it.

Yup, there is no doubt

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The good news for Jets fans is that this is the language that Woody will understand, and changes will be made. He fired Mangini bc Mangini didn’t sell tickets, and Bowles makes Mangini look like Freddie Mercury as far as entertainment value goes.

Once Maccagnan gets a chance to pick his own coach, it's lit

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You know what would instantly make the Jets the most watched team? Signing Kaepernick. Nobody but a handful of hillbillies watching the games on 13” lo-fi screens in small pockets of Appalachia is tuning out because of the kneeling.

The sport is hard to watch because so many teams have no QB, and even those that do have a big QB are getting undone by any team that has a Von Miller-ish edge guy. As for the Jets, there’s not one marketable player on the roster. Nobody sets their clock to watch an undersized safety miss tackles.

I think your mistaken, and in a big way. I know many, many people who have said they refuse to watch the league with this going on. And they have at least 23" TV's, all of them.

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

wat

Archived