jets viewership down the most

batman10023

5 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Not only is the team not fun to watch in any way, shape or form, they also have very little in the terms of a player on either side of the ball who is a “must watch”. There’s no old school AP or a game breaking wide receiver or a pass rusher who can get a sack on any given dropback. They also have very little in terms of players non Jets fans would be interested (fantasy players). The only player worth owning fantasy wise on this team is ASJ and they forget about him for long stretches of the game at times. 

Yeah my hope is there is a QB change soon and that changes. Not convinced it will, but I hope.

The top receivers Anderson, Kearse and Kerley are all nice stories. But they pretty much fit in that box you just said. Not really a must watch. Although Anderson is at times because of his speed. His yard total definitely makes him not a top end fantasy guy though.

I had hoped the dline would dominate and make them fun to watch; hasn't happened. Kind of surprising but the defense really seems to be playing more bend but don't break. It is working, but to your point it isn't very exciting.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

SAR I has pretty much nailed it - It comes down to the product on the field. The NFL I got into was all about the variety of styles and match-ups - Getting to see the balls to the wall Rams/Colts going up against physically dominant sides like the Steelers/Ravens. Now it's simply about getting a QB, keeping him healthy and you're pretty much assured to be a contender for a decade.

The rule changes have been necessary but horrible. I'm not even guilty about how much pleasure I took in the massive hits that were dished out in every game, they were awesome to watch. They took one of the highlights of the sport, removed it and it will only get worse. The high scoring shootouts that followed kept casuals going for a while but it was never sustainable. It's a watered down product and everyone knows it. 

it also feels like the good teams get help from the refs, so most fans go into big games vs. the perennial playoff teams believing they will somehow get screwed somewhere by the refs at the end of the game to determine the outcome.  

It has been incredibly beautiful and warm around here so far this fall.  I think that is a factor.  I typically watch everygame.  Personally I always enjoy wins more regardless of the draft or our chances to make the playoffs.  With all the negative talk the decision to go play volleyball or hit the beach instead has been an easy one so far. I can settle for watching the recaps. The weather will change soon and viewership will improve.  

46 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Being a one-and-done wildcard team with zero chance at a Super Bowl is just as bad as going 3-13.

Incorrect. Lets say you were 9-7 to make the wildcard.  Compared to 3-13 thats 6 more weeks of enjoying a win.  Thats 300% more fun and you can throw in the excitment of being in the playoffs.

22 hours ago, RoadFan said:

I watched virtually every game for more than 30 years.

This season?  About 4 total quarters...

I am at the point where, as far as I am concerned, there is nothing to follow until they find a franchise QB. I am doing better things with my free time... mostly fishing.

I am not going to give better than I receive from the Jets anymore.

100% spot on , I'm 45 I missed maybe a handful of snaps from 1980 til this year , blew off family events, snuck out of Weddings midway , not the reception...the church ! Paced around my house in the middle of the night trying to figure out how we lost a heartbreaker ...you name it , I've missed more games and snaps this year than in the last 35+ years combined , and that's not an exaggeration. 

54 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Not only is the team not fun to watch in any way, shape or form, they also have very little in the terms of a player on either side of the ball who is a “must watch”. There’s no old school AP or a game breaking wide receiver or a pass rusher who can get a sack on any given dropback. They also have very little in terms of players non Jets fans would be interested (fantasy players). The only player worth owning fantasy wise on this team is ASJ and they forget about him for long stretches of the game at times. 

Totally agree.   Who on this team is worth watching?  Who on this team is Must watch?

No one. 

19 hours ago, johnnysd said:

My personal feeling is that ratings are down for primarily one reason, the game is just not as exciting anymore. And I think there is a core reason for that actually unrelated to what is on the field. I call it the "micro-pause"

Well what is the "micro pause"? W

ell it is related to the way the games are officiated now and the completely arbitrary nature of the rules themselves and the inconsistent nature in which they are called and enforced. All you need to do is go to a sports bar and listen.

Say it's third down and five, and a critical point in the game, and if you stop them you get the ball back with a chance to win the game. You defense breaks up a pass. Incomplete. Do you cheer? No. You wait a few moments when all that is going through your head is "is there a flag". Seemingly more often than not there is, which is an awful feeling. But even if there isn't, once you realize there isn't a flag the moment is gone and the excitement diminished. 

And this happens on almost every important play. We look for the flag, then cheer. So the high moments are just continuously diminished by this micro pause.

But worse than that, the low moments are even lower, because it seems the majority of times the critical plays are not the plays on the field, but the way the penalties are called. And those are completely arbitrary and often times feel very very biased. With 48 angles on every play you get that bad call rubbed in your face sometimes for minutes. 

And the really great moments which only last a few seconds are diminished by that "micro pause".

Add to that the fact that there are so many rules, and they are so vague, confusing and so inconsistently applied.

Does anyone here truly understand what a "catch" is.

Dez Bryant reaches for the goal line with the ball after catching it and loses control from his outstretched hand when it hits the ground. No catch.

Sunday, a Giants player catches the ball, lands on his elbow and the ball comes loose. Catch and down by contact.  Huih?

So back to the sports bar: big play happens.....several moments of silence...then cheers and boos. 15 years ago: big play happens, instant LOUD cheers and boos.

The micro pause and the state of officiating. Ruining the "fun" of football. We leave games, confused and angry, not elated, or even disappointed at a loss which is much different than confused and angry.

Your point about fans having to hesitate before celebrating big Defensive stops is the best point of this whole thread , it really started getting bad a few years ago but has gotten worse each and every year ..watched every game with the same 4-5 friends for decades and we all noticed it, it truly does take a lot of the fan experience out of the game, nobody reacts spontaneously and emotionally to a big play until you wait those 2 - 3 seconds to make sure there isn't a flag ..and that's long enough to take a lot of emotion out of the game for fans ...it's an underrated reason why the game is struggling right now . 

On 19/10/2017 at 11:39 AM, gEYno said:

This can't be right... No Jets are kneeling during the National Anthem, and I thought it was all that kneeling that killed the ratings?

It appears we need to kneel some more so we can bring our viewership to the same level of the other teams. 

Since a large % of viewers are in the tri-state, this probably has a lot to do with why viewership is down in general.

also, the same teams win year in/year out, the Patsies and Roger Goodell's boyfriend, Bob Kraft, are favored by the refs like every game, and Thursday Night Football was a stupid idea to begin with and should be nixed 

2 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

Since a large % of viewers are in the tri-state, this probably has a lot to do with why viewership is down in general.

also, the same teams win year in/year out, the Patsies and Roger Goodell's boyfriend, Bob Kraft, are favored by the refs like every game, and Thursday Night Football was a stupid idea to begin with and should be nixed 

There is roughly 450 million reasons a year that TNF will not go away, not that I disagree with a word.

7 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

There is roughly 450 million reasons a year that TNF will not go away, not that I disagree with a word.

Unfortunately you're right, but it's not fair to the teams and risks injury to players. Goodell simply sees dollar signs so he's going to continue it

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

And that doesn't mean anything. Being a one-and-done wildcard team with zero chance at a Super Bowl is just as bad as going 3-13. 

Team sports like baseball and hockey you can win a Championship if the team elevates itself.  But football is now an individual sport, it's about the quarterback.  It's like tennis.  

SAR I

Well, I mostly agree with you, but teams can also win a SB with great defenses. The Broncos didn't win a few years ago because of Peyton Manning, even though he's a marquee name. The Seahawks didn't win because of Russell Wilson, who's good but not really on the level of Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady. 

8 hours ago, Dupe said:

Incorrect. Lets say you were 9-7 to make the wildcard.  Compared to 3-13 thats 6 more weeks of enjoying a win.  Thats 300% more fun and you can throw in the excitment of being in the playoffs.

Sorry, I'm not in it for the "individual win".  I don't care if the Jets beat the Dolphins on Sunday because they're not going to get 9 wins.  0-16 or 3-13 or 7-9, same thing.

You root for a playoff run.  Not an individual win.  This is not a playoff team, so it's all irrelevant, hence the falloff in viewership.

SAR I

On 10/19/2017 at 12:17 PM, batman10023 said:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/10/19/tv-ratings-show-most-nfl-teams-losing-local-support/

Most teams in the NFL are down by more than 5 percent. The Jets, playing in America’s biggest television market, are down a whopping 37 percent. 

i for one, have been DVR the games several times this year and watching them later (skipping the commericals and stuff).

Jets Fans are the bestest most loyalist ever! This is clearly fake news.

4 hours ago, Freemanm said:

Well, I mostly agree with you, but teams can also win a SB with great defenses. The Broncos didn't win a few years ago because of Peyton Manning, even though he's a marquee name. The Seahawks didn't win because of Russell Wilson, who's good but not really on the level of Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady. 

The '15 Broncos and the '00 Ravens and the '85 Bears are massive anomalies, apparently happens exactly every 15 years.

So if the '30 Jets have a shut down defense, count me in, we can win the Super Bowl that way.  Until then, yeah, we need a quarterback.

SAR I

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Jets Fans are the bestest most loyalist ever! This is clearly fake news.

All the Giant Stadium season ticket quitters tell us that they watch every down of every game and they'd show up in MetLife Stadium if only they could, sniff-sniff, afford the tickets.

Seems they be lying to us.

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:

Definitely.

All the Giant Stadium season ticket quitters tell us that they watch every down of every game and they'd show up in MetLife Stadium if only they could, sniff-sniff, afford the tickets.

SAR I

How much you gets from the Pats fans you sold to last week. I bet they paid wicked awesome dollars.

On 10/19/2017 at 1:22 PM, T0mShane said:

You know what would instantly make the Jets the most watched team? Signing Kaepernick. Nobody but a handful of hillbillies watching the games on 13” lo-fi screens in small pockets of Appalachia is tuning out because of the kneeling.

The sport is hard to watch because so many teams have no QB, and even those that do have a big QB are getting undone by any team that has a Von Miller-ish edge guy. As for the Jets, there’s not one marketable player on the roster. Nobody sets their clock to watch an undersized safety miss tackles.

The good news for Jets fans is that this is the language that Woody will understand, and changes will be made. He fired Mangini bc Mangini didn’t sell tickets, and Bowles makes Mangini look like Freddie Mercury as far as entertainment value goes.

Agree 1000%. Ever since the infamous tuck rule call, it seems that more and more games are being decided by (usually awful) calls by the referees, rather than great plays by the players. Most of those awful calls seem to favor the Patsies, because, as we all know, Goodell and Kraft have a sexual relationship With each other and Goodell wants to keep the ratings up.

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

How much you gets from the Pats fans you sold to last week. I bet they paid wicked awesome dollars.

$200 for each $135 seat and $100 for a $35 parking pass.

Stubhub does not tell you who buys the seats.  Seeing the location of MetLife Stadium, the number of New Yorkers is greater than the number of New Englanders on the order of 22 million people, it must have been Jets fans who bought them.

SAR I

45 minutes ago, SAR I said:

$200 for each $135 seat and $100 for a $35 parking pass.

Stubhub does not tell you who buys the seats.  Seeing the location of MetLife Stadium, the number of New Yorkers is greater than the number of New Englanders on the order of 22 million people, it must have been Jets fans who bought them.

SAR I

Damn I should I listed mine for more. I just asked for face.  It got sold pretty quickly. 

1 hour ago, batman10023 said:

Damn I should I listed mine for more. I just asked for face.  It got sold pretty quickly. 

Out of towners pre-plan trips by 2-3 weeks and they're not going to spend money on flights and hotels without locking up good seats first.

I find that on Stubhub for the elite teams with fanbases that travel that I can put mine up 2-3 weeks out at a really high price and often sell them to people who aren't afraid to spend a bit more to guarantee a good experience.  Doing the same thing for the Falcons and Chiefs too.

SAR I

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

Out of towners pre-plan trips by 2-3 weeks and they're not going to spend money on flights and hotels without locking up good seats first.

I find that on Stubhub for the elite teams with fanbases that travel that I can put mine up 2-3 weeks out at a really high price and often sell them to people who aren't afraid to spend a bit more to guarantee a good experience.  Doing the same thing for the Falcons and Chiefs too.

SAR I

9550288-nfl-miami-dolphins-new-england-p

6 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Is this true?  On my one road trip game per season, I've never bought tickets more than 48-hours out.  Never had a hard time sitting within the 30s and within 20 rows of the field for a reasonable price.  Online makes it too easy to swoop in on a hungry seller at the last minute.  Tampa is in 3 weeks.  Still 1300 listings on ticket exchange.  No rush.

20 hours ago, sciond said:

thanks? LOL

I either used Beta, VHS, DVR, and online sites to make sure I watch. When I was younger it was a Sunday father/son ritual which I now share with my kids

Nice. And provided you watched the game within a week of recording it, your watching counted in the game's TV ratings, so would not be part of any loss of ratings being discussed in this thread. I recorded a game once. But I found myself not only fast forwarding through commercials, but also through dead time between snaps. Did not really like the experience, so I always watch live now. I still avoid the commercials b/c I have Sunday Ticket, so I always switch to the Game Mix channel during commercials. Then switch back as the commercial for the Jet game ends.

14 hours ago, SAR I said:

The '15 Broncos and the '00 Ravens and the '85 Bears are massive anomalies, apparently happens exactly every 15 years.

So if the '30 Jets have a shut down defense, count me in, we can win the Super Bowl that way.  Until then, yeah, we need a quarterback.

SAR I

I agree wholeheartedly about the need to get a franchise QB, but you forgot the Seahawks in '14 and the Bucs in '02 and the Giants in 1990 (what did Hosstettler do after that Super Bowl year?) Although they lost to the Cowboys,  the '95 Steelers went to the Super Bowl with under the leadership of Neil O'Donnell. 

3 hours ago, gEYno said:

Is this true?  On my one road trip game per season, I've never bought tickets more than 48-hours out.  Never had a hard time sitting within the 30s and within 20 rows of the field for a reasonable price.  Online makes it too easy to swoop in on a hungry seller at the last minute.  Tampa is in 3 weeks.  Still 1300 listings on ticket exchange.  No rush.

It varies by opponent and time of year of course, but it's how it usually works for my seats.  If I list them very early I find that someone takes them above market value just for the peace of mind that they have guaranteed seats in a great location.  It's New York City, not Jacksonville.  A weekend trip to Manhattan is complicated and securing tickets early lets the buyer focus on the other complexities of a visit to New York like hotels, restaurants, sightseeing, transportation, etc.  When I sell, putting them up days before the game is a sure way to minimize value as the last-minute-sniper can wait it out.  Hey, I do that too for Yankee and Ranger games, it's a great way to save money.

So if it's a game I definitely cannot attend, I list them on Stubhub at $200 or more 2-3 weeks out.  If they don't sell then, I know I'm going to fall prey to snipers and then I'm lucky if I can get face or $100 for each seat.  Parking passes are gold.  It's the inverse.  They grow in value the closer you get to the game.  My Patriots parking pass sold for a whopping $100 on Saturday night around 7pm.

SAR I

1 hour ago, Freemanm said:

I agree wholeheartedly about the need to get a franchise QB, but you forgot the Seahawks in '14 and the Bucs in '02 and the Giants in 1990 (what did Hosstettler do after that Super Bowl year?) Although they lost to the Cowboys,  the '95 Steelers went to the Super Bowl with under the leadership of Neil O'Donnell. 

I was being dramatic, but that's still only 7 teams that did it on defense in the last 33 years.  Next to impossible. 

SAR I

Jets fans have been on the front lines of the Patriots' cheat show for the last decade. The league has disregarded not one not two but dozens of violations and tilt the entire pinball machine so the Pats win as much as possible. We know that cause we face them twice a year.  Meanwhile there are fans in NFC towns who think it's fair and their team has a chance. They find out it's rigged when it's 28-3 in the Super Bowl. WE already know it's rigged. That's why it's down 37%. Cause Jets fans are New Yorkers and New Yorkers know when the fix is in. This isn't cow country. All New Yorkers do all day look is look for the fix and how to benefit from it. There's no benefit anymore from paying money to watch the Jets break our hearts and the league call phantom fumbles out of the end zone. 

On 10/19/2017 at 4:19 PM, johnnysd said:

My personal feeling is that ratings are down for primarily one reason, the game is just not as exciting anymore. And I think there is a core reason for that actually unrelated to what is on the field. I call it the "micro-pause"

Well what is the "micro pause"? W

ell it is related to the way the games are officiated now and the completely arbitrary nature of the rules themselves and the inconsistent nature in which they are called and enforced. All you need to do is go to a sports bar and listen.

Say it's third down and five, and a critical point in the game, and if you stop them you get the ball back with a chance to win the game. You defense breaks up a pass. Incomplete. Do you cheer? No. You wait a few moments when all that is going through your head is "is there a flag". Seemingly more often than not there is, which is an awful feeling. But even if there isn't, once you realize there isn't a flag the moment is gone and the excitement diminished. 

And this happens on almost every important play. We look for the flag, then cheer. So the high moments are just continuously diminished by this micro pause.

But worse than that, the low moments are even lower, because it seems the majority of times the critical plays are not the plays on the field, but the way the penalties are called. And those are completely arbitrary and often times feel very very biased. With 48 angles on every play you get that bad call rubbed in your face sometimes for minutes. 

And the really great moments which only last a few seconds are diminished by that "micro pause".

Add to that the fact that there are so many rules, and they are so vague, confusing and so inconsistently applied.

Does anyone here truly understand what a "catch" is.

Dez Bryant reaches for the goal line with the ball after catching it and loses control from his outstretched hand when it hits the ground. No catch.

Sunday, a Giants player catches the ball, lands on his elbow and the ball comes loose. Catch and down by contact.  Huih?

So back to the sports bar: big play happens.....several moments of silence...then cheers and boos. 15 years ago: big play happens, instant LOUD cheers and boos.

The micro pause and the state of officiating. Ruining the "fun" of football. We leave games, confused and angry, not elated, or even disappointed at a loss which is much different than confused and angry.

Great post! How many games do Jet fans have to endure getting blatantly kicked in the balls by the refs when we play the Patriots before they just turn the sh*t off & cry NO MAS? To make it worse, after last week we got validation by fans who normally hate us but their hatred for the Patriots trumps all hate, reminding us that we got robbed like we needed validation after witnessing that total  bullsh*t on Sunday! I remember a call in the Geno years in New England. Jets are winning, 4th down, last chance for the Pats, Jet defender makes a perfect play, knocks the ball down on the sideline, I'm among 30 Pats fans at a party & before the play even developed I said, "watch, the Jets will get a PI or holding call".

The play develops, the pass in incomplete, all of the Pats fans are instantly dejected because Pats fans haven't dealt with the micro pause against them enough to be keen on this sh*t your talking about, but HOLD ON, HERE COMES THE LATE FLAG, from a f*cking official literally 25 yards away from the play? PI Jets, automatic 1st down, Pats fans literally are thinking I'm a football savant, lol. Replay shows the call is f*cking baseless, the announcers exclaim, " I don't know how he could make that call from so far away, when the referee right on top of the play didn't". Yup, 1st down, Brady wins the game. Micro Pause,lol, it's a f*cking reality, just like last Sunday. 

22 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

We cant you keep telling us the stadium is SOLD OUT. 

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

Jets fans have been on the front lines of the Patriots' cheat show for the last decade. The league has disregarded not one not two but dozens of violations and tilt the entire pinball machine so the Pats win as much as possible. We know that cause we face them twice a year.  Meanwhile there are fans in NFC towns who think it's fair and their team has a chance. They find out it's rigged when it's 28-3 in the Super Bowl. WE already know it's rigged. That's why it's down 37%. Cause Jets fans are New Yorkers and New Yorkers know when the fix is in. This isn't cow country. All New Yorkers do all day look is look for the fix and how to benefit from it. There's no benefit anymore from paying money to watch the Jets break our hearts and the league call phantom fumbles out of the end zone. 

I think Mac's drafts are the reason its down 37%

Archived