The cigar store Indian has got to go!

Jetster

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Easy unless of course it would make the other players mad and we all know Todd Bowles doesn't want that it would disrupt the chemistry here then we'd have players quitting. :rolleyes:

When did you begin to be sarcastic?:D   If Bowles truly has changed the culture of this team, I think the players would stand behind him 100% if he did something like this.

8 minutes ago, section314 said:

When did you begin to be sarcastic?:D   If Bowles truly has changed the culture of this team, I think the players would stand behind him 100% if he did something like this.

Todd Bowles is a dead man coaching, hopefully 2018 we have a real head coach. 

6 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

No defense can be on the field all game and be successful. Josh McCown is terrible, nice guy but no team is getting any success with him at QB its quite obvious. 

i'm sure everyone is well aware of how the offense drives the defense and vice versa. but at the same time the defense can do their part to get off the field.  they almost did when mo got that int but then the doltfins were able to make big plays and the jets defense just gave them up.

9 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i'm sure everyone is well aware of how the offense drives the defense and vice versa. but at the same time the defense can do their part to get off the field.  they almost did when mo got that int but then the doltfins were able to make big plays and the jets defense just gave them up.

Im also quite sure that many fans including myself are sick and tired of the NY Jets bullsh*t along with piss poor coaching and bush league football on and off the field, they always seem to find a way to lose when you think you've seen it all along comes a new way. 

Giving up is a sign of of really bad coaching. 

1 hour ago, Saul Goodman said:

Interesting thread. Bowles has been here for three years and this is the first time I've heard of/read any claims that he had a strong influence on the draft picks. 

Of course he does. Mccagnan has the final say but of course Bowles has input. And all the coaches do as well with their own scouting reports. We all read how Greene scouted and ran some of the pro days earlier this yr for LBs.  

3 hours ago, Larz said:

he has his issues, but he was handed a brutal roster

I hope you're trolling with this naive Rex Ryan can do no wrong rhetoric. Head coaches don't just sit out in the sun sipping lemonade and then show up one day and say, "oh, so this is the team, okay". They make the grocery list, the GM does the shopping. It's very rare that personnel acquisition doesn't align with some level of mutual agreement about said player.

I don't know why the ******* fans on this site can't get this through their under-evolved domes.

9 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I hope you're trolling with this naive Rex Ryan can do no wrong rhetoric. Head coaches don't just sit out in the sun sipping lemonade and then show up one day and say, "oh, so this is the team, okay". They make the grocery list, the GM does the shopping. It's very rare that personnel acquisition doesn't align with some level of mutual agreement about said player.

I don't know why the ******* fans on this site can't get this through their under-evolved domes.

Its almost like this site is full of primates or something.

Todd Bowles on Josh McCown’s interception: No regrets about play call

Posted by Charean Williams on October 23, 2017, 4:33 PM EDT
865211526-e1508790789460.jpg?w=560&h=316
Getty Images

The Jets could have played for overtime with 47 seconds left, but with three timeouts, coach Todd Bowles said “you go for the win.” The decision backfired as quarterback Josh McCown threw an interception, and 22 seconds later, the Dolphins kicked the game-winning field goal.

Bowles defended the play call, which had McCown attempt a sideline pass to Jermaine Kearse that cornerback Bobby McCain picked off. He said it was no different than if the Jets had called for a run, and the running back had fumbled.

Of course, the odds of throwing an interception were far greater than having McCown take a knee at his own 15.

“[McCown] didn’t see the guy,” Bowles said Monday, via Rich Cimini of ESPN. “He made a mistake. He’ll learn from it. . . . I don’t feel any regrets about the play.”

The Jets blew a 28-14 fourth-quarter lead, which is why Bowles accurately assessed that it “should have never come to that. . . . We should have had it way before that.”

8 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

McCown] didn’t see the guy,” Bowles said Monday, via Rich Cimini of ESPN. “He made a mistake. He’ll learn from it. . . . I don’t feel any regrets about the play.”

The rebuilding 2017 NY Jets folks, where 40-year old QBs come to learn and stuff... 

7 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

This team needs a shakeup and firing Bowes during the season might shake things up or at least put players on notice.

Mid season firing makes no sense.Morton would be the obvious replacement, but why give him a leg up or preclude another option? Let this play out. 

3 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Mid season firing makes no sense.Morton would be the obvious replacement, but why give him a leg up or preclude another option? Let this play out. 

I'd rather a message be sent to the players..behavior like yesterday is more embarrassing than a loss like yesterday and a head coach shouldn't be making excused for his unruly players. 

Bowles isn't improving in any aspect of the game. 

32 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

LOL and don't forget we groom rookie QB's (Hackenberg) at our 4 year grooming school meanwhile other rookie QB's excel throughout the league. 

I really don't know how those rookie QBs excel without having some of the worst backup level QBs in the past 15 years of the NFL mentoring the **** out of them. I really don't.

51 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

LOL and don't forget we groom rookie QB's (Hackenberg) at our 4 year grooming school meanwhile other rookie QB's excel throughout the league. 

Which rookies are excelling Watson and who else  and please don't say Kizer or Trubisky . Last year you had Prescott and Wentz and who else ??? You act like there are 31 rookies playing every Sunday at QB and only the Jets don't have one. 

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Todd Bowles on Josh McCown’s interception: No regrets about play call

Posted by Charean Williams on October 23, 2017, 4:33 PM EDT
865211526-e1508790789460.jpg?w=560&h=316
Getty Images

The Jets could have played for overtime with 47 seconds left, but with three timeouts, coach Todd Bowles said “you go for the win.” The decision backfired as quarterback Josh McCown threw an interception, and 22 seconds later, the Dolphins kicked the game-winning field goal.

Bowles defended the play call, which had McCown attempt a sideline pass to Jermaine Kearse that cornerback Bobby McCain picked off. He said it was no different than if the Jets had called for a run, and the running back had fumbled.

Of course, the odds of throwing an interception were far greater than having McCown take a knee at his own 15.

“[McCown] didn’t see the guy,” Bowles said Monday, via Rich Cimini of ESPN. “He made a mistake. He’ll learn from it. . . . I don’t feel any regrets about the play.”

The Jets blew a 28-14 fourth-quarter lead, which is why Bowles accurately assessed that it “should have never come to that. . . . We should have had it way before that.”

“He made a mistake. He’ll learn from it."

HAHAHA..the f*cker is THIRTY-EIGHT years old and in his 15th season.

Only the Jets.

14 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

Come on really? So Bowles underachieved in 2015 because the Jets had a cupcake schedule.

Was there really a coach in 2016 that would have taken that roster to the playoffs?

This aggressive conservative argument is literally backed by no facts. Are you really telling me that you or other fans on this board can tell by the play calling that the Jets have gone conservative? Or is that simply a product of the Jets drives stalling because of execution. I have to say, fans assume the playcalling. I don't understand the concept of the Jets are going into a mode of offense where they have decided to abandon the goal of scoring and have switched to an offense that will take time off the clock. I mean really? Was there a stretch where they stopped passing? Was there a stretch of run, run, run. Was there a stretch where they didn't throw past the 1st down marker? I didn't see any of that yesterday. And on defense. Some fans complain they went into prevent. Others say CB was left on an island. 

Fans also don't have any idea about clock management as well. We have fans complaining about not enough time outs for the end of the Pats game, but let's waste the 3 timeouts at the end of the Dolphins game. I saw a fan post yesterday complaining Bolwes used his time outs when the Dolphins got the ball back at the end not realizing the Dolphins aren't going to use timeouts in that situation because they want the kick to be the last play. 

I'm pissed too they lost, but I see a coach who can compete with a flawed roster. And in my opinion, firing Bowles is a mistake. 

he underachieved b/c he underachieved.  he had a very talented roster against a very weak schedule.  2016 was a different animal but 2015 he did a terrible job.

the facts are when he decides to be aggressive it backfires, when he decides to be conservative it backfires. it's not about playcalling it's about decision making on what to do, when to go for it, when to take a knee. 

You may not have any idea about clock mgmt. but I do, Bowles is as bad as any coach I have seen.  it is a problem w/ most coaches, it's a difficult thing under the fire of an NFL game but that's why they are paid what they are paid. we constantly blow time outs early, in the 1st half you can do that at times but in the 2nd half it's inexcusable especially when we do on a 3rd and 10 and then don't convert anyway.  Most games in this league are close, you need your TOs late.

he's done better w/ a flawed roster than a good one but the moment we had a chance to actually compete he does a terrible job these last 2 weeks. it's not a coincidence when teams consistently blow big leads.

21 hours ago, Warfish said:

I want consistency at both Head Coach and at QB.

But Todd Bowles is not the man to be consist with, nor is Petty or Hack the QB to be consistent with.

I hope, unlikely though it may be, that 2018 will usher in a GM-hired, reports to GM Head Coach, and a new young drafted QB, that we can build the next 5+ years around.

I want a pony for my birthday.  

15 hours ago, SAR I said:

No.  He's a brand new OC and has done suprisingly well with such a weak offensive roster.

But ultimately it's Todd Bowles who allowed the call to go through, he didn't over-rule, he didn't learn his lessons from three years ago let alone last week, he's terrible.  He's got to be the first guy to go once we have a stacked roster again.  This guy sucks.

SAR I

Exactly. He sits on the ball on his own 40 yard line but pushes the ball backed up at your own 15? Made no sense. Miami was flying, he needed to stem the tide. Trying a draw, hope to break it, ok, letting the McCown guy go back & throw to the sideline? Um, did Bowles forget what happened before halftime vs the Pats? The guy has no feel for the game.

While I believe Bowles is a good guy, has done a nice job of getting effort this year, he needs to be fired after the season. Firing him now or before the season ends doesn't help the young guys on the team. Plus we aren't going to the playoffs anyway. What's going to be really interesting is what Bowles does with 8 losses. He might dig his own grave if he keeps trotting out this 38 year old journeyman still. I wish they would tell us what their plan really is, because continuing to state, "McCown gives us the best chance to win" 39 games into you time with the Jets is an indictment on Bowles & Macc and I've defended Macc before but they both have to go if there is no future plan for a QB.

18 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

Isn't that how every team works with building a roster? And if they're looking for big dollars, Mac must be doing something right. Or what your'e saying is that he should have hit on the majority of his picks, so the roster would be nicely filled out by now? 

Because that sounds like 2-3 years to me, and that's not so bad.  

When you fail to hit on your high picks and maybe get one per year then yeah it will take a long time.

Devin smith, Darron Lee, Mauldin, Hackenburg, 2 safeties when there are tons of holes.

3 hours ago, nyjunc said:

he underachieved b/c he underachieved.  he had a very talented roster against a very weak schedule.  2016 was a different animal but 2015 he did a terrible job.

the facts are when he decides to be aggressive it backfires, when he decides to be conservative it backfires. it's not about playcalling it's about decision making on what to do, when to go for it, when to take a knee. 

You may not have any idea about clock mgmt. but I do, Bowles is as bad as any coach I have seen.  it is a problem w/ most coaches, it's a difficult thing under the fire of an NFL game but that's why they are paid what they are paid. we constantly blow time outs early, in the 1st half you can do that at times but in the 2nd half it's inexcusable especially when we do on a 3rd and 10 and then don't convert anyway.  Most games in this league are close, you need your TOs late.

he's done better w/ a flawed roster than a good one but the moment we had a chance to actually compete he does a terrible job these last 2 weeks. it's not a coincidence when teams consistently blow big leads.

2015 Jets were 5-5, went 5-0 beating the Dolphins, Giants, Titans, Cowboys and Pats. Lost the last game to the Bills. 

Giants led 20-10 going into the 4th. 

Cowboys led 13-9 going into the 4th.

Beat the Pats in overtime.

Are we really burning more TOs early? I understand 2 weeks ago but has this really been a problem? Maybe you remember being knowledgeable about the clock, I don't. I think it's way overblown and happens all the time in the NFL. It's the same complaint made about every previous Jet coach as well.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2016/09/05/nfl-clock-management-andy-reid-homer-smith

As far as this season yes expectations change and yes last week was sickening. But over 16 games, the roster is what it is.

My opinion, he's done more with less. Don't see a change that improves the coaching next season. And as fans, I can pick on the job most coaches have done in the NFL. 

42 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

When you fail to hit on your high picks and maybe get one per year then yeah it will take a long time.

Devin smith, Darron Lee, Mauldin, Hackenburg, 2 safeties when there are tons of holes.

I guess I don't see them having a ton of holes. If we did, I don't see how in the world we'd be even slightly competitive right now. 

2 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

2015 Jets were 5-5, went 5-0 beating the Dolphins, Giants, Titans, Cowboys and Pats. Lost the last game to the Bills. 

Giants led 20-10 going into the 4th. 

Cowboys led 13-9 going into the 4th.

Beat the Pats in overtime.

Are we really burning more TOs early? I understand 2 weeks ago but has this really been a problem? Maybe you remember being knowledgeable about the clock, I don't. I think it's way overblown and happens all the time in the NFL. It's the same complaint made about every previous Jet coach as well.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2016/09/05/nfl-clock-management-andy-reid-homer-smith

As far as this season yes expectations change and yes last week was sickening. But over 16 games, the roster is what it is.

My opinion, he's done more with less. Don't see a change that improves the coaching next season. And as fans, I can pick on the job most coaches have done in the NFL. 

the dolphins, giants, titans and cowboys were just awful that year and we needed OT to beat NYG and barely scraped by Dallas and their 3rd string QB.  the only good team we beta was NE but something weird was happening w/ them late that year.  BB made two incredibly odd decisions in that game, at the end of the 1st half NE got the ball w/ 2 TOs and just under 2 mins left trailing 10-3 and decided to run out the clock.  It was as bizarre a decision as I have ever seen from them in the Tom Brady era.  Then in OT they win the toss and give us the ball.  so that was our only win against a good team and that marked the turning point in Bowles' HC career.  After that game it's been disastrous.  that season we beat:

3-13 Cleveland

8-8 Indy

6-10 Miami 2x

9-7 Washington who did make the playoffs in that weak division BUT they were not good early in the season.  they started 2-4/3-5/4-6/5-7 before winning their last 4.

5-11 Jax(hung on)

6-10 NYG

3-13 Ten

4-12 Dal

12-4 NE

we lost to:

7-9 Philly

12-4 NE

7-9 Oak

7-9 Buf 2x

9-7 Hou

4 of our 6 losses were to teams under .500

Clock mgmt. is an issue for most teams and I don't have it tracked, I just watch every game and see them burning TOs.  Let's look back since he took over in close games in the 2nd half at time out usage, this doesn't count when to run the clock out, when to try to be aggressive, etc...  just TO usage in 2nd halves of close games:

at Ind: dumb challenge early 3rd costs us TO.  that's part of decision making too.  It didn't hurt us though.

vs. Phi: no issues

vs. Was: the final score was a blowout but we trailed going into the 3rd and it was a one score game when we called our 1st TO in the 3rd.

at NE: no issue, use of Tos actually gave us a chance w/ an OS kick.

vs. Jax: no issue

vs. Buf: no issue

at Hou: no issue

at NYG: no issue

at Dal: no issue

vs. NE: no issue

Looks pretty good most of 2015 then week 17 came along and he has never recovered.  after not having his team prepared to play and again getting outcoached by Rex he would burn his first TO in the 3rd qtr.

2016:

vs. Cin: TO #1 in 3rd qtr, TO #2 w/ 5 mins left and trailing in 4th. if we have those TOs we would have had a much better chance at the end of the game instead of 40 secs w/ no TOs.

vs. Sea: trailed 17-10 going into the 4th, burned 2 TOs byh early 4th qtr.

vs. Bal: no issues

at Cle: TO #1 in the 3rd, TO #2 w/ 7 mins left

at Mia: wasted TO w/ 6 mins left, wasn't 3rd qtr but we could have used it later.

vs. LA: TO #1 in 3rd qtr

vs. NE: TO #1 early 3rd,

at SF: no issues

2017:

vs. Jax: w/ 5 mins left leading b/c they were unprepared for a 3rd and 1

at Cle: no issues

vs. NE: used TWO early 3rd qtr, we really could have used those later.

at Mia: no issues

as you can see he was good until that week 17 meltdown which falls in line w/ his HC career, did a decent job until that HUGE game.  since then it has been all downhill.

You can't use the roster excuse for this year AND last year since you are using preseason expectations.  a year ago we were expected to be a playoff type team, everyone thought we had all the pieces to make a little run- to at least make the playoffs.  The bottom line is through 3 years he has not been good overall, I love his team is competing this year but once in a position to actually do something he can't get anything done.

I always defend HCs, I hate changing coaches.  I wanted to give Bowles this year and I liked what he did early in the season and even liked how he rallied them after the bad blown call vs. NE but they blew that game vs. NE bad call or not and they really blew this week's game.  it's not a coincidence that they keep blowing double digit leads. 

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

The NY JETs have had a hard time for years finishing games when they lead Todd Bowles hasn't really changed that here.

I don't see him as a players coach at all his demeanor on the sidelines is the worst in the NFL as far as I'm concerned. 

Sorry. One of the dumbest things I've read. But don't worry I see alot of fans say the same thing..What exactly is the demeanor he should have or what YOU want HIS demeanor to be?  

And how the hell is his demeanor much different than Belichick's (which includes press conferences)..Tom Landry's?  

Archived