Kirk Cousins is GOOD!

Jetster

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

What is the difference between 22M and 27M?    The jets pay 17M to a DE with no sacks and a propensity to take plays off.  You put cousins on this team and the jets are an immediate contender for afc east.  

If you are really worried about the long term cap / cost then front load a shorter deal and just overpay - like 90 over 3.   Bottom line is this team can't compete without a qb and buying one allows us to use the picks elsewhere.  

I agree that it's a no-brainer to find someplace else to be more frugal when you're a team with the Jets' QB situations year after year. 

Front-loading a deal doesn't make it cost less, though. Not to mention long-term, if he's a 5-year keeper, it's proportionately a lower percentage of the annual caps to have the higher hits later (exaggerations to the point of distortion notwithstanding). $25m on a $150m cap provides the team with less flexibility elsewhere than $25m on a $175m cap.

Remember the mind-boggling (borderline insanity) 2014 extensions for Alex Smith or Andy Dalton at $17m/year? It was only maybe $2-3m/yr off from the amount elite QBs were getting the prior season ($19-20m per). It's also roughly the amount Washington scoffed at paying when this whole ordeal began. Now it's a lot closer to Osweiller/Glennon money than the elite QB money that likes of Derek Carr just got.

I'd never say never, but I'll still be shocked if Cousins commands $27m per. Just something about him, that nobody's going to pay it, absent serious postseason damage this year.

Recent production aside, few (if any) think he has even more upside beyond what he's done. The fact is heading into 2017, in his best season in today's pass-happy league he's never amassed 30 TDs, even when adding in rushing TDs. Next season he's going to be 30 years old on opening day so that's a factor for him as well; he'll be a good 4 years older than Carr/Luck were when they got their gigantic contracts, and they were both perceived to have not yet reached their potential. 

Personally I think he'll settle in around the $22m/year range, give or take a million. There's an outside shot at a $24-25m ceiling, depending on the cap limit increase and one team's infatuation with adding him. But even if the contract average is that much it'd likely only be due to backloaded fluff year(s) at a few million higher than that average that he probably won't see.

His lack of elite TDs numbers, his one lone probowl season (silly as it is, that stuff matters come contract time), his age, his lack of drool-worthy theoretical upside, and the supposed depth of the 2018 draft class says he doesn't get anywhere near $27m/year, let alone $30m/year.

The Redskins have backed themselves into a corner.  Because they franchised him the past two years, doing so a third year in a row would guarantee him a 2018 salary well over $30M.  

They may be desperate enough to do it because they don’t have any other options and be ause if they don’t, they are going to lose him and only be able to recoup a potential 3rd rd pick if they don’t sign any other free agents.

But because of how these negotiations have gone on over the past 2 1/2 year’s, he’s not signing with them with out first testing the market.

9 hours ago, Maxman said:

I think they will pursue him, he will put fans in the seats. And that is going to be a major focus next offseason unfortunately.

Tre Jets will pursue him.  He will be expensive.  To me bigger negative is length of contract not amount per year.  

It does seem like he would be a good WCO fit.  

8 hours ago, hawk said:

Hes going to SF

SF can draft a CalifornIa QB at a fraction of Cousins cost.  I think they do that.  

10 hours ago, ljr said:

Cousins got thoroughly outplayed by Wentz & is the lower end of legit QB's ... I think I would put him just below Alex Smith

all that being said he is much better than the dogsh*t we've had at QB since CP other than 1/2 of a season with Favre.

bringing him in for 4- 5 years will make the team at least watchable for that time.

if they pick a QB prospect in the 1st round we can also give him a good window and o learn before he is forced to be The Guy.

i am def a supporter of throwing the kitchen sink at Cousins >  anything else that seems even remotely possible

OMG, were we watching the same game? The Eagles dominated TOP, that's not on Cousins. He made numerous throws under duress the entire game behind an Oline that lost 2 freaking pro bowlers, lol. He ran & took a hellacious shot and got back up, unlike Petty who every time he's gets hit misses 6 games. Kirk is a gamer, a fighter, an underdog whose gambled on himself & WON! He'd be a helluva NY Jet in the big Apple. Cousins Jerseys everywhere. He's got that quick release & strong arm with accurate velocity that leads to YAC which makes watching football fun again! Eagles are the best team in the league right now playing at home & he just kept bringing them back. Kirk Cousins would raise everyone's play on offense, we would definitely find out what kind of players we have in Stewart & Hansen next year too. Cousins is a top 10 QB in this league RIGHT NOW with a good 7 year window because like Brady he keeps himself in great shape. The Jets could be finally competing for AFC East superiority till 2025 while possibly grooming Baker Mayfield behind him in the SAME OFFENSIVE SYSTEM and finally have some damn consistency on offense.

We paid Mo Wilkerson 17 million! But we have fans that wouldn't pay Kirk Cousins 27 million? WTF?

16 minutes ago, Jetster said:

OMG, were we watching the same game? The Eagles dominated TOP, that's not on Cousins. He made numerous throws under duress the entire game behind an Oline that lost 2 freaking pro bowlers, lol. He ran & took a hellacious shot and got back up, unlike Petty who every time he's gets hit misses 6 games. Kirk is a gamer, a fighter, an underdog whose gambled on himself & WON! He'd be a helluva NY Jet in the big Apple. Cousins Jerseys everywhere. He's got that quick release & strong arm with accurate velocity that leads to YAC which makes watching football fun again! Eagles are the best team in the league right now playing at home & he just kept bringing them back. Kirk Cousins would raise everyone's play on offense, we would definitely find out what kind of players we have in Stewart & Hansen next year too. Cousins is a top 10 QB in this league RIGHT NOW with a good 7 year window because like Brady he keeps himself in great shape. The Jets could be finally competing for AFC East superiority till 2025 while possibly grooming Baker Mayfield behind him in the SAME OFFENSIVE SYSTEM and finally have some damn consistency on offense.

We paid Mo Wilkerson 17 million! But we have fans that wouldn't pay Kirk Cousins 27 million? WTF?

Grooming Baker Mayfield for what, exactly?

21 hours ago, rangerous said:

well look at the bright side.  they can launch wilk and with the 17 million saved use it to go after cousins.  the point is they can get a qb either through the draft or free agency it's just a metter of what they want to spend.

This to the heavens! People complaining that we'll overpay for a top 15 (? Ish) quarterback. Id rather use the money on that, than what we're getting in return for Wilkerson. 

3 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Ill overpay for that attitude + quick release and accuracy until we draft someone high. 

Guy was drafted by the same team in the same year as RGIII. Didn't complain although he was the better QB (and his teammates knew it) while being disrespected by team brass. That game was his coming out party.

The one thing the Jets have going for them in pursuit of Kirk Cousins, is they literally have no valuable assets on the team they need to worry about losing in FA.  The team is largely consisted of JAGs and players who maybe get a 2nd contract here and if they do, it won't cost big money and if they don't, there is no real loss for the Jets.  At this point, there isn't a single player on the Jets that isn't expendable.  Nobody breaks this team and who are you really missing if for some reason the Jets couldn't resign them?  ASJ?  He's about the only player I could see asking for decent money.  Maybe Clairborne but you obviously don't pay him.  Maybe Leo in a few years but that's a huge maybe.  As much as I like him as a player, he's very replaceable.

So, the Jets could be a good landing spot for him.  They could tie up that type of money into one contract because they really don't have to worry about anything in-house.  

38 minutes ago, JiF said:

The one thing the Jets have going for them in pursuit of Kirk Cousins, is they literally have no valuable assets on the team they need to worry about losing in FA.  The team is largely consisted of JAGs and players who maybe get a 2nd contract here and if they do, it won't cost big money and if they don't, there is no real loss for the Jets.  At this point, there isn't a single player on the Jets that isn't expendable.  Nobody breaks this team and who are you really missing if for some reason the Jets couldn't resign them?  ASJ?  He's about the only player I could see asking for decent money.  Maybe Clairborne but you obviously don't pay him.  Maybe Leo in a few years but that's a huge maybe.  As much as I like him as a player, he's very replaceable.

So, the Jets could be a good landing spot for him.  They could tie up that type of money into one contract because they really don't have to worry about anything in-house.  

I would probably resign Clairborne, ASJ, and Ealy and go after Cousins. They have about 80 million in cap space not counting the money saved if they cut Wilk. They need to be smart but aggressive too. 

3 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

I would probably resign Clairborne, ASJ, and Ealy and go after Cousins. They have about 80 million in cap space not counting the money saved if they cut Wilk. They need to be smart but aggressive too. 

If they go this way, they can focus on adding another offensive player such as OT (McGlinchy?) or RB (Barkley!).  I think that, along with getting Q back, could transform the offense almost overnight into one that can score enough to win important games.  I'd love to see us land Rosen and would be willing to invest another year needed to develop him while building around him, but given our cap flexibility, Cousins is a very nice plan b.

1 hour ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Guy was drafted by the same team in the same year as RGIII. Didn't complain although he was the better QB (and his teammates knew it) while being disrespected by team brass. That game was his coming out party.

Yup and I love the emotion. You want a winning attitude like that, while as you said when things weren't going his way he didn't show it. True leader.

Maybe this is being a wimp, but I have a hard time trading a draft's worth of picks for a QB that has not taken an NFL snap yet that is not perfect/pristine.

If Peyton Manning (or even Eli Manning) or Andrew Luck was sitting there, that could be an interesting proposition.  They seemed to have all the pieces and also be stable/professional.

Josh Rosen exudes a bit of "Todd Marinovich" to me.  I would likely take him if he is there, but not trade a ransom for him.

The NFL is a copycat league.  After passing on QBs this year, I don't see teams passing next year.

The Redskins have backed themselves into a corner.  Because they franchised him the past two years, doing so a third year in a row would guarantee him a 2018 salary well over $30M.  
They may be desperate enough to do it because they don’t have any other options and be ause if they don’t, they are going to lose him and only be able to recoup a potential 3rd rd pick if they don’t sign any other free agents.
But because of how these negotiations have gone on over the past 2 1/2 year’s, he’s not signing with them with out first testing the market.

That's easy, Trade them McCown, Petty and Hackenburg throw in Mo and Skrine.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

5 hours ago, varjet said:

Maybe this is being a wimp, but I have a hard time trading a draft's worth of picks for a QB that has not taken an NFL snap yet that is not perfect/pristine.

If Peyton Manning (or even Eli Manning) or Andrew Luck was sitting there, that could be an interesting proposition.  They seemed to have all the pieces and also be stable/professional.

Josh Rosen exudes a bit of "Todd Marinovich" to me.  I would likely take him if he is there, but not trade a ransom for him.

The NFL is a copycat league.  After passing on QBs this year, I don't see teams passing next year.

What?  Teams were far more aggressive pursuing the 2016 crop of QBs than everyone anticipated,  including the so-called draft experts. No one anticipated all the trade ups (Chicsgo, Houston, KC, et. al.)

5 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

He's a really good QB. I'd love to have him on our team next year. People think it's a foregone conclusion he is going to SF but I think it comes down to the best deal being placed before him.

Agreed. Miners Oline is very old (Ages next season) Zane Beadles (31), Kilgore (30), Joe Staley (34), Brandon Fusco (30) then their guys up front on defense are Elvis Dumerville (34), Earl Mitchell (31), Leger Douzable (32).

They already cut the old man Navarro Bowman. Leon Hall (CB, 33), Pierre Garçon (WR, 32), Hyde is an old 27, the NY Jets have better young players than the 49ers & it shows in the record & on the field. This Cousins to Niners is no done deal. Macc & Bowles if they stay have to sell Cousins on coming on board, maybe take over the AFC East from the Evil Empire up north.

6 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

By the time the Jets are able to put a competitive team on the field he will be 35, I'd much rather see them build with and around a younger Qb because building is what they have to do.

Kirk Cousins will instantly make the Jets a competitive team he's 29. 

On 10/24/2017 at 11:22 AM, August said:

I understand why they did it. But now that he's had 3 straight years of good production they probably feel comfortable locking him up. 

Isn't that what we said about Wilkerson? Anyway, I'm still for signing him if we can. Let's get some Olinemen and playmakers around him, and can we please, please use our draft picks on offense for a change?

3 hours ago, Apache 51 said:

By the time the Jets are able to put a competitive team on the field he will be 35, I'd much rather see them build with and around a younger Qb because building is what they have to do.

What? It doesn't make 5 years to build a team in the NFL. If the Jets had Kirk Cousins right now they'd would have been a team some people would have been predicting to go to the playoffs this year. He makes them instantly 10x better. This is a QB driven league.

If the Jets added Cousins and a receiver in FA and rebuilt the O-Line, you would have the makings of a really good Offense.

On 10/24/2017 at 11:27 AM, Warfish said:
NFL Draft: 2012 / Round: 4 / Pick: 102

Well would you look at that.  Guess you CAN get a good QB outside picks #1 and #2.

P.S. Cousins isn't coming to New York.  He's a bad fit here as he has no personal contacts here or reason to sign here (as he does elsewhere), and he's going to make more than enough where he wants to go (and he's a uber-religious guy, so money , while important, isn't everything to him).

I wouldn't invest alot of emotion hoping to get him.  Funny tho, seeing how many want to sign a 4th round pick QB to a 30 mil/year deal.  I wonder if I cross checked how many pro-Cousins guys think only picks #1/#2 are valid places to draft a QB.....

I don't think anyone's saying that you can't get a good QB late.  It's quite obvious that you can, it just doesn't happen as often as drafting one early.

19 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

What? It doesn't make 5 years to build a team in the NFL. If the Jets had Kirk Cousins right now they'd would have been a team some people would have been predicting to go to the playoffs this year. He makes them instantly 10x better. This is a QB driven league.

If the Jets added Cousins and a receiver in FA and rebuilt the O-Line, you would have the makings of a really good Offense.

Unfortunately football teams consist of D, ST as well. It will take more than an O line and that takes time by itself.

Just now, Apache 51 said:

Unfortunately football teams consist of D, ST as well. It will take more than an O line and that takes time by itself.

You don't have to have a perfect team strong in all areas to compete and win games. Most teams have flaws. If the Jets added Cousins and a couple quality lineman they are a playoff caliber team. Of course they'd still have other areas they would need to get better in but they can address them while being competitive year in and year out. It's a QB driven league.

Archived