Kirk Cousins is GOOD!

Jetster

What a fighter that guy has become. He has to be pissed the Skins haven't resigned him. I know you guys say there is no way he would play for the Jets but if there is even the slightest chance to sign him, the Jets need to go all out to make it happen! 

He was awesome under pressure last night & he is getting better every year. When QBs lose players & coaches around them and still get better it tells you a lot. Shanahan left, Garçon, Jackson, so new coordinator, new players and he's still performing. Last night he was playing behind a banged up Oline vs a very good defense with a boatload of pass rushers & there was no quit in him.

Cousins is a QB that is a leader. I would do everything in my power to sign him if possible. Draft Barkley, maybe a new center, you give Cousins a good running game his play action & fakes are truly professional. Want fannies in the seats at MetLife? Cousins is a SLAM DUNK. 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I definitely see Mac trying to go after Cousins in FA ( if we don't have a shot at a young QB) he already tried to trade for him. I think Cousins will draw a lot of interest in FA. If San Fran has a top pick maybe they trade out if they land him in FA. Cousins strikes me as the kind of guy who would play in NY as he seems to have  a chip on his shoulder with something to prove. I like that.  It will be interesting to see how FA plays out, but I think there will be plenty of competition for him. 

Of course they should look at Cousins.  He is a legitimate NFL starting QB.  The question is how much/how long are they willing to commit.  If they don't kick the tires, they are idiots, but they had better be sure about dumping that much cash into one player.  I think the talk about Maccagnan trying to trade for Cousins is a bit overblown.  I think the Redskins shopped Cousins way back when and after he was more established the Jets went back and asked about him at the original price. 

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Of course they should look at Cousins.  He is a legitimate NFL starting QB.  The question is how much/how long are they willing to commit.  If they don't kick the tires, they are idiots, but they had better be sure about dumping that much cash into one player.  I think the talk about Maccagnan trying to trade for Cousins is a bit overblown.  I think the Redskins shopped Cousins way back when and after he was more established the Jets went back and asked about him at the original price. 

What is the difference between 22M and 27M?    The jets pay 17M to a DE with no sacks and a propensity to take plays off.  You put cousins on this team and the jets are an immediate contender for afc east.  

If you are really worried about the long term cap / cost then front load a shorter deal and just overpay - like 90 over 3.   Bottom line is this team can't compete without a qb and buying one allows us to use the picks elsewhere.  

Cousins is a QB that is a leader. I would do everything in my power to sign him if possible. Draft Barkley, maybe a new center, you give Cousins a good running game his play action & fakes are truly professional. Want fannies in the seats at MetLife? Cousins is a SLAM DUNK. 

I couldn’t agree more! Getting Barkley might be tough though - he’s gonna be top 5.

4 minutes ago, August said:

Redskins will lock him up long term

Oh, I think so, they would be nuts not to but if there is a sliver of hope, like someone else said, look what we're paying Wilkerson, lol. With Cousins dropping dimes Robby Anderson would be scary, the middle of the field would be wide open. 

He gets the ball out fast, is really accurate & now he's making really quick decisions. That really helps the Oline out. 

1 minute ago, bla bla bla said:

I hope we go hard for Cousins and resign our guys like ASJ, Enunwa, Davis, and Claiborne. I think we'd go BPA looking at a Pass Rusher and Center in the draft. I could see him liking NY, I'm not sure if it is enough to keep him from going to the 49ers though.

The 49ers are terrible. And they are much older than the Jets in key spots. But there is the Shanahan connection but Kirk looks just fine without him.

Just now, peebag said:

I'm not so sure.  They've really screwed up negotiations with him and I truly believe that he won't be a Redskin next year.

That's possible as well. But when you're a team like them that had been searching for a franchise quarterback and you finally get one they'd be foolish to let Cousins go. But stranger things have happened.

Just now, August said:

That's possible as well. But when you're a team like them that had been searching for a franchise quarterback and you finally get one they'd be foolish to let Cousins go. But stranger things have happened.

yea like franchising your qb two years in a row.....:)

I'd love if we signed Cousins and I wouldn't care about overpaying. Its QB, we havent had one in a decade, and he's good enough for us to really compete with an upgraded roster. 

Signing Cousins also allows us to keep our picks and build the roster up, while still competinf. When a prospect we love comes out in the draft, then we trade up-whatever it costs to get him and learn under Cousins for a couple of years.

I think we have a legit shot at him, because he's clearly not going to take less than whatever number he has in his head. I think a lot of teams will pass on that number. But we shouldn't. After cutting Mo, we'll be close to 100 mill in space for next year.

NFL Draft: 2012 / Round: 4 / Pick: 102

Well would you look at that.  Guess you CAN get a good QB outside picks #1 and #2.

P.S. Cousins isn't coming to New York.  He's a bad fit here as he has no personal contacts here or reason to sign here (as he does elsewhere), and he's going to make more than enough where he wants to go (and he's a uber-religious guy, so money , while important, isn't everything to him).

I wouldn't invest alot of emotion hoping to get him.  Funny tho, seeing how many want to sign a 4th round pick QB to a 30 mil/year deal.  I wonder if I cross checked how many pro-Cousins guys think only picks #1/#2 are valid places to draft a QB.....

2 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

What is the difference between 22M and 27M?    The jets pay 17M to a DE with no sacks and a propensity to take plays off.  You put cousins on this team and the jets are an immediate contender for afc east.  

If you are really worried about the long term cap / cost then front load a shorter deal and just overpay - like 90 over 3.   Bottom line is this team can't compete without a qb and buying one allows us to use the picks elsewhere.  

well look at the bright side.  they can launch wilk and with the 17 million saved use it to go after cousins.  the point is they can get a qb either through the draft or free agency it's just a metter of what they want to spend.

19 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Like Cousins a lot. Just not enough to make him the highest paid player ever.

What do you suggest the Jets do with the money?  The salary cap goes up every year and is projected to be $30 million higher in 2020.  The big contract you give out in 2018 won't look so bad in 2020 and beyond.

Back in 2005, everyone was saying that the Giants were crazy for giving Kareem McKenzie $5 million/year.  Three years later, the deal looked like nothing.  The joke was on the Jets.

10 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

I agree 100%!!!

Some of us would say "look at how much we saved by bringing back McCown!!"

Cousins got thoroughly outplayed by Wentz & is the lower end of legit QB's ... I think I would put him just below Alex Smith

all that being said he is much better than the dogsh*t we've had at QB since CP other than 1/2 of a season with Favre.

bringing him in for 4- 5 years will make the team at least watchable for that time.

if they pick a QB prospect in the 1st round we can also give him a good window and o learn before he is forced to be The Guy.

i am def a supporter of throwing the kitchen sink at Cousins >  anything else that seems even remotely possible

12 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Cousins is not over 33 and is not an end of the career jag thus the jets will have no interest in him.  Why pay a good Qb 25 milllion when you can pay a jag 8 million.?

you make a grown man cry!

Archived