Pretty clear that Petty / Hack won't play this year

LionelRichie

I can already see week 17 when McCown closes one out and Bowles talks about "growing" as a team and the need to get better.   Last year Goff was awful but he played.   This year Trubusky is a disaster but he's getting a chance to learn.   Where are hack and petty - squarely on the bench behind a 38 year-old journeyman who hasn't met a checkdown he doesn't like.   

Just now, LionelRichie said:

I can already see week 17 when McCown closes one out and Bowles talks about "growing" as a team and the need to get better.   Last year Goff was awful but he played.   This year Trubusky is a disaster but he's getting a chance to learn.   Where are hack and petty - squarely on the bench behind a 38 year-old journeyman who hasn't met a checkdown he doesn't like.   

Two words. DeShone Kizer. 

1 minute ago, LionelRichie said:

The likelihood of Petty or Hackenberg ever playing a meaningful snap for the Jets is minimal.

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

Two words. DeShone Kizer. 

what about Kizer ? he sucks but he play , his team just like the Jets is not going anywhere this year.

maybe he will be out of the league in 2 years or maybe he will have a good long career but at least Cleveland letting him play and see if he can play.

1 minute ago, fusionCA said:

what about Kizer ? he sucks but he play , his team just like the Jets is not going anywhere this year.

maybe he will be out of the league in 2 years or maybe he will have a good long career but at least Cleveland letting him play and see if he can play.

And the Browns have shown no life at all. So what have the Browns gained for playing him?

22 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

imo petty or hack comes in after the break.  they have buffalo on thursday and then one more game before the break. buffalo is not that bad so the jets could easily be out of it at the break.

1 minute ago, rangerous said:

imo petty or hack comes in after the break.  they have buffalo on thursday and then one more game before the break. buffalo is not that bad so the jets could easily be out of it at the break.

These guys aren't playing unless mccown is hurt.  Fitz threw 5 picks in a game, bowles says he's the qb.  We want to see petty and hack play, but the truth is there is no real pressure to see them play.  Petty is a throwaway 4th round pick.  Hack sucks, it's plain to see.  The problem comes next season when mccags hopefully invests a high 1st round pick in a qb, finally, and bowles won't play him.  Mccags would also be wise to not put a veteran qb on the roster to sabotage his own draft picks.

8 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

These guys aren't playing unless mccown is hurt.  Fitz threw 5 picks in a game, bowles says he's the qb.  We want to see petty and hack play, but the truth is there is no real pressure to see them play.  Petty is a throwaway 4th round pick.  Hack sucks, it's plain to see.  The problem comes next season when mccags hopefully invests a high 1st round pick in a qb, finally, and bowles won't play him.  Mccags would also be wise to not put a veteran qb on the roster to sabotage his own draft picks.

If we're honest with ourselves, the real reason Bowles wont play Hack or Petty is because they aren't as good as McCown. I still dont think that's much of an excuse to continue to trot out a 38 year old dead end, but Bowles showed he was more than happy to do it last season, and will continue to do it this year. As for next year, I have to hope if the Jets are in a position high enough to grab a QB in the first, that means Bowles is  not back.

4 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Name me one receiver on the Browns currently. I dare you. 

Kenny Britt, who is active, but does not play 1 snap lol, I don't think I've seen a coach actively try, and get fired, or get his GM fired as hard as Hue is since Rex Ryan lol

10 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

If we're honest with ourselves, the real reason Bowles wont play Hack or Petty is because they aren't as good as McCown. 

But we don't or won't know that until they get to see meaningful game action.  Picking up Josh McCown this season served absolutely no purpose.  None.  Nada.

10 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

If we're honest with ourselves, the real reason Bowles wont play Hack or Petty is because they aren't as good as McCown. I still dont think that's much of an excuse to continue to trot out a 38 year old dead end, but Bowles showed he was more than happy to do it last season, and will continue to do it this year. As for next year, I have to hope if the Jets are in a position high enough to grab a QB in the first, that means Bowles is  not back.

maybe, but the thing is both hack and petty would get better by playing. mccown has certainly played pretty well but he's not scaring anyone.  and the oline is just not reliable at either pass or run blocking.  if they could really run block, they could easily start petty or hack.

Just now, peebag said:

But we don't or won't know that until they get to see meaningful game action.  Picking up Josh McCown this season served absolutely no purpose.  None.  Nada.

i disagree.  mccown certainly isn't the guy to bring this team to the playoffs but what he does is add stability at the single most important position and allow the rest of the team to develop.  petty or hack could start if the oline was really doing well.

6 minutes ago, peebag said:

I'm not arguing that at all. I already stated I'd rather be 0-8 with Hack or Petty than 3-5 with McCown

8 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Kenny Britt, who is active, but does not play 1 snap lol, I don't think I've seen a coach actively try, and get fired, or get his GM fired as hard as Hue is since Rex Ryan lol

Pretty sure Britt has more drops than catches this season. He’s also been benched because he dogs it on many occasions. 

6 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Pretty sure Britt has more drops than catches this season. He’s also been benched because he dogs it on many occasions. 

Agreed, BUT the GM just signed him to a huge contract this past offseason, and if the GM was on board with Britt not playing then there is zero chance he would have been active today.

2 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Agreed, BUT the GM just signed him to a huge contract this past offseason, and if the GM was on board with Britt not playing then there is zero chance he would have been active today.

Oh yeah. There is definitely more upheaval coming in Cleveland. They have some solid pieces to build around and a lot of picks to make it happen. Just don’t see them doing it. 

I have no problem if the Jets, Bowles and Mac don't believe that neither Petty or Hack are starting materials for them.....

I say Great!!! GREAT!!!  NO MORE INCOMPETENT QB PLAY!!!

But then you can not have two such developmental QBs on your team who you don't believe have the upside of starting; especially when other teams have sought to trade for Petty.  You can't red shirt a 2nd round QB and put him behind a guy who you don't believe is starting QB material. 

Again it is simple why in the world do you hold onto a player you don't believe in? 

The Jets did it wit Geno Smith and to a lesser extent with Sanchez.  I say......Stop keeping players on the team that you hope might be a good back up one day!

Come on guys the Jets have been playing this movie since the Brooks Bollinger days.

59 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

This is the danger IMO...

Does Bowles make the new pick third on the depth chart and limit his reps????

Based upon past realities he wont be able to say a rookie QB is simply better than a fourth year Petty or even a third year Petty?

Are we then looking at another two or three year development project?

This is a real issue...

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

maybe, but the thing is both hack and petty would get better by playing. mccown has certainly played pretty well but he's not scaring anyone.  and the oline is just not reliable at either pass or run blocking.  if they could really run block, they could easily start petty or hack.

if the line cant pass or run block how can either of them get better by playing?

59 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i disagree.  mccown certainly isn't the guy to bring this team to the playoffs but what he does is add stability at the single most important position and allow the rest of the team to develop.  petty or hack could start if the oline was really doing well.

Who is McCown developing on offense?  Forte?  Kearse and Kerley?  Stewart and Hanson don’t get any snaps let alone targets.  Did McGuire get any attempts today?

Bowles is wasting this season because there are literally no skill players playing that are guaranteed to be here after next season.  

3 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

if the line cant pass or run block how can either of them get better by playing?

I’m not convinced that the line is that bad.  McCown has for the most part had time to throw. The running game is being hurt because teams are stacking  the box because Captain Checkdown very seldom goes long and they aren’t scared of getting beat.  You have to occasionally open it up to loosen the running lanes.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

And who, of a young variety that is, is actually developing on O?  McGwire?  Stewart? Hansen? Leggett?

If you ain't 'developing' youngsters, because they are not playing or even dressing, then you're playing 'vets'...correct?  Isn't that the time to play a young QB...you know, so he can develop with the vets?

17 minutes ago, Joejet said:

I’m not convinced that the line is that bad.  McCown has for the most part had time to throw. The running game is being hurt because teams are stacking  the box because Captain Checkdown very seldom goes long and they aren’t scared of getting beat.  You have to occasionally open it up to loosen the running lanes.

Seriously, I agree with you. I was just being sarcastic. 

8 hours ago, Pcola said:

Who is McCown developing on offense?  Forte?  Kearse and Kerley?  Stewart and Hanson don’t get any snaps let alone targets.  Did McGuire get any attempts today?

Bowles is wasting this season because there are literally no skill players playing that are guaranteed to be here after next season.  

he helps the oline get there act together.  they're not pass or run blocking very well but he is going to make sure they have the right blocking assignments.  he's also helping anderson.  anderson had over 100 yds receiving. as for stewart or hansen or mcguire, that's up to the coaches.

9 hours ago, shuler82 said:

I'm not arguing that at all. I already stated I'd rather be 0-8 with Hack or Petty than 3-5 with McCown

Amen to that my friend...  This season is a travesty with McCown starting. Bowles needs to be fired and Macc needs to not bring in a vet next season or I'm done with him as well.

8 hours ago, Pcola said:

Again I agree completely...

Archived