An inside look at the Jets' decision to pass on Deshaun Watson

Gas2No99

21 minutes ago, varjet said:

This article pretty much sums everything up and is a summary of why MaccBowles need to go.

Adams gunghoness clearly was a factor above his athleticism.  It's not like Watson is a bad character.  

Hack was also clearly misscouted.   Can someone start sending John Dorsey NJ house listings?

That's the crazy part.  Watson is like the mold of perfect young man, graduated early, huge impact on habitat for humanity, gives up his game checks to facilities workers after the hurricanes, raised his siblings, leader of men lol...plus he's a crazy athlete with special gifts and he was 100x the players that was Adams in college...at the most important position in all of sports.

Go Jets! 

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Holy sh*t. 

You are trolling, right?  There is no possible way anybody who has watched any of Hackenberg in green and white thinks he warrants 20 starts.  I doubt anybody that saw him at Penn St thinks he warrants starts.  Don't give me that tanking bullsh*t either.

Dude, you haven't even seen him play, ok? 

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

Dude, you haven't even seen him play, ok? 

Actually, we've all seen him play.  We just haven't seen him play in a regular season NFL game.  I wonder if there is a reason?  I can say the same about Tajh Boyd.  I guess we gave up him too early.  I hope that stiff didn't scare the team off of drafting Clemson QBs.  You know Rex would have been all in for Watson -winner, runs to put pressure on the D, Clemson.

27 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Complete indictment for the failure of the Jets Front Office to correctly evaluate the QB position, and QB prospects.

Failed to properly evaluate Hackenberg.

Failed to properly evaluate Petty's long term worth.

Failed to properly evaluate Watson.

Failed to properly evaluate the value of the QB position vs. the Safety position.

Failed to properly account for the likelyhood of draft positions vs. prospects in the 2108 draft.

Failed to properly manage Fitzpatrick/Geno situation.

Failed to manage the QB assets for the 2017 season (i.e. starting/staying with McCown).

To-date there is very little to recommend this front office when it comes to their management of the QB position, the single most vital position in the game.

I would agree with all but one point.  I think a LOT of us on here liked Petty as a prospect.  Guy can sling the ball, and he was successful in college.  Hasn't adapted as well to the pro game, but then again, he hasn't been given much time or much to work with.

I think his biggest knock is he seems kinda brittle.

12 minutes ago, JiF said:

That's the crazy part.  Watson is like the mold of perfect young man, graduated early, huge impact on habitat for humanity, gives up his game checks to facilities workers after the hurricanes, raised his siblings, leader of men lol...plus he's a crazy athlete with special gifts and he was 100x the players that was Adams in college...at the most important position in all of sports.

Go Jets! 

mccags is a classic scout, likes his qbs tall with big arms.  curious he liked trubisky but not watson though.  i can't wait to read a year from now about all the reasons we didn't draft the rookie qbs who are showing promise while we're sitting here with eric flowers 2.0.

31 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Complete indictment for the failure of the Jets Front Office to correctly evaluate the QB position, and QB prospects.

Failed to properly evaluate Hackenberg.

Failed to properly evaluate Petty's long term worth.

Failed to properly evaluate Watson.

Failed to properly evaluate the value of the QB position vs. the Safety position.

Failed to properly account for the likelyhood of draft positions vs. prospects in the 2108 draft.

Failed to properly manage Fitzpatrick/Geno situation.

Failed to manage the QB assets for the 2017 season (i.e. starting/staying with McCown).

To-date there is very little to recommend this front office when it comes to their management of the QB position, the single most vital position in the game.

What this tells me is this regime doesnt overly value the importance of finding a QB to build with long term. The kick the can down the road strategy with guys like Fitz and Mccown just looks like self preservation at this point. Coupled with the fact theyve used two high first rounders on "Best player in the draft!" safe selections on positions that dont get you fired. The issue now is they'll probably draft a QB first next year who isnt as strong of a prospect as Watson or Mahomes.

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

What this tells me is this regime doesnt overly value the importance of finding a QB to build with long term. The kick the can down the road strategy with guys like Fitz and Mccown just looks like self preservation at this point. Coupled with the fact theyve used two high first rounders on "Best player in the draft!" safe selections on positions that dont get you fired. The issue now is they'll probably draft a QB first next year who isnt as strong of a prospect as Watson or Mahomes.

a gm who for some reason thinks he'll have way more chances to get the qb thing right in the draft than he actually does.  every other team without a qb shows a sense of urgency to get it right, while mccags sits back and brags about safeties, as if he's still an area scout.

So the double whammy of the Hack pick.  We miss out on a potential impact player with that 2nd rd pick while also passing on other QB's because we want to see Hack devleop.  I would be way more willing to forgive Macc for the Hack pick if he just owned up the mistake and moved on but to pass on other potential QB's because you want to see Hack develop is just crazy.  As others have said, I do get the idea of making sure you're getting impact players with your top picks but c'mon Macc it's time to wake up this team's going nowhere with 38 year old journeyman QB's.  Take a risk!

1 minute ago, drsamuel84 said:

So the double whammy of the Hack pick.  We miss out on a potential impact player with that 2nd rd pick while also passing on other QB's because we want to see Hack devleop.  I would be way more willing to forgive Macc for the Hack pick if he just owned up the mistake and moved on but to pass on other potential QB's because you want to see Hack develop is just crazy.  As others have said, I do get the idea of making sure you're getting impact players with your top picks but c'mon Macc it's time to wake up this team's going nowhere with 38 year old journeyman QB's.  Take a risk!

The thing is if he'd have taken Watson, then right now no one would even remember that he took Hack last year. 

I'm not even bothered they didn't pick Watson, i'm bothered this front office never has the balls to to find the QB we desperately need. Do you want to be part of the 'rinse and repeat' or the savior of this franchise? How many times have our GM's passed on a QB because they drafted one the year before and they want to wait and see. Keep picking one till you find one. What Jets fan is ever gonna say "oh no, we have too many young QBs".

The 49ers have made more attempts at answering the long term QB question in one season then the Jets have in about 10. This f'n team.

23 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The counter to this argument is supposedly they tried hard to trade up to draft Goff and Wentz, but just were not willing to trade hard enough....

So its also possible that they are risk adverse, and stick to their grades/value come hell or high water.

11 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

I'm not even bothered they didn't pick Watson, i'm bothered this front office never has the balls to to find the QB we desperately need. Do you want to be part of the 'rinse and repeat' or the savior of this franchise? How many times have our GM's passed on a QB because they drafted one the year before and they want to wait and see. Keep picking one till you find one. What Jets fan is ever gonna say "oh no, we have too many young QBs".

The 49ers have made more attempts at answering the long term QB question in one season then the Jets have in about 10. This f'n team.

Exactly, I mean heck Andy Reid passed on Watson.  Not that makes it ok but I do agree that it's not like Watson was sitting there as this no brainer pick.  Macc's problem to this point is that he hasn't taken the risk to go and get that guy.  Sure you may fail like we did with Sanchez but it's also better than continuing to wait for next year while drafting project QB's in the late rounds.

1 hour ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Is he bad?

Probably.

The fact is no one knows.  Why not support the kid?  I realize that a lot of people didn't want him drafted, but he's here now.  Constantly destroying the kid before he's even played is ridiculous.

I'll give him 20 starts.

When you say "no one" you aren't including any professionals, who see him in practice, in the offseason, and in the film rooms and meetings constantly.  You basically mean, you don't know.  Because, the people with access, and who do this professionally, are calling him a 3rd string QB on a team who's 1st and 2nd string QBs also aren't good.  So, when you say, "nobody," you really mean, yourself.

1 hour ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Is he bad?

Probably.

The fact is no one knows.  Why not support the kid?  I realize that a lot of people didn't want him drafted, but he's here now.  Constantly destroying the kid before he's even played is ridiculous.

I'll give him 20 starts.

Does the 20 starts bit include the CFL and arena league or not?

3 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

Since Mac has taken over, the entire league who has needed a QB has made real honest attempts at getting one.  

The Eagles, extended Bradford, still traded up #2 for Wentz...didnt they sign Chase Daniel too at one point? 

The Rams traded up to #1 overall.  

The Vikings lose Bridgewater, traded for Bradford and then signed Keenum in the offseason.

The Bears signed Glennon, drafted a QB #2 overall.

The Chiefs, with Alex Smith, who never draft QB's, take one in the 1st round.

The Texans, who have had some of the worst QB's in the league, take one in the 1st round after at least attempting with Savage and Osweiler.

The Broncos coming off a SB and Peyton retiring, take one in the 1st round and are starting one they took in the 7th.

The 49'ers, drafted on in the 3rd, played him, saw he was trash and traded for Jimmy G.  A 2nd rounder.  Same we spent on Hack.

The Bucs and Titans had the right picks in the right year...who knows if a call was made, they didn't need to go up much.

The Browns have selected and played 2 QB's in the 2nd round and took a shot with RG III and tried to trade for AJ McCarron...oh factory of sadness 

The Cowboys took Prescott in the 4th the same year the Jets took Hack in the 2nd.

The Buffalo Bills and Rex Ryan acquired Tyrod Taylor. 

Hell, Matt Moore (better than any QB the Jets have had in years) was resigned as a back up in Miami.  lol

Meanwhile in Jets land....the only reason why Bryce Petty ever saw the field was because Fitz and Geno were hurt.  

Let's go 2015 executive of the year baby!!!!

The thing that interests me is Gailey.  He is kind of a lemons out of lemonade coach and Bowles obviously deferred to him plenty.  I know he went to the pre-draft stuff with Hackenberg, but he specifically said he "wasn't in the room" when they picked Hackenberg.  All of a sudden he was planning to retire all along.  I'm not sure how much of that had to do with Fitzpatrick sucking so hard and how much with developing Hackenberg.  I always got the impression that Gailey watched him and said "Are you kidding me?  I don't have time for this."

FWIW, in those articles there are plenty where Gailey indicated that the kid might play in 2016. of he showed enough. The redshirt sh*t didn't start until after he sucked and the brought back the bearded wonder.

Just now, JiF said:

Since Mac has taken over, the entire league who has needed a QB has made real honest attempts at getting one.  

The Eagles, extended Bradford, still traded up #2 for Wentz.

The Rams traded up to #1 overall.  

The Vikings lose Bridgewater, traded for Bradford and then signed Keenum in the offseason.

The Bears signed Glennon, drafted a QB #2 overall.

The Chiefs, with Alex Smith, who never draft QB's, take one in the 1st round.

The Texans, who have had some of the worst QB's in the league, take one in the 1st round after at least attempting with Savage and Osweiler.

The Broncos coming off a SB and Peyton retiring, take one in the 1st round and are starting one they took in the 7th.

The 49'ers, drafted on in the 3rd, played him, saw he was trash and traded for Jimmy G.  A 2nd rounder.  Same we spent on Hack.

The Bucs and Titans had the right picks in the right year...who knows if a call was made, they didn't need to go up much.

The Browns have selected and played 2 QB's in the 2nd round and took a shot with RG III and tried to trade for AJ McCarron...oh factory of sadness 

The Cowboys took Prescott in the 4th the same year the Jets took Hack in the 2nd.

The Buffalo Bills and Rex Ryan acquired Tyrod Taylor. 

Hell, Matt Moore (better than any QB the Jets have had in years) was resigned as a back up in Miami.  lol

Meanwhile in Jets land....the only reason why Bryce Petty ever saw the field was because Fitz and Geno were hurt.  

Let's go 2015 executive of the year baby!!!!

But safeties win championships!

11 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

The counter to this argument is supposedly they tried hard to trade up to draft Goff and Wentz, but just were not willing to trade hard enough....

So its also possible that they are risk adverse, and stick to their grades/value come hell or high water.

I get being cautious, especially your first draft but after that..after trotting out Fitzpatrick twice, you need to make moves. I'm assuming Mac will be back for at least one more year.  I just HOPE, that he has learned his lesson on being gun shy.  Playing it too safe has made him miss out on Wentz and now Watson. 

He better start calculating how to go up and get Rosen or he'll be looking for a new job soon.

1 minute ago, MDL_JET said:

I get being cautious, especially your first draft but after that..after trotting out Fitzpatrick twice, you need to make moves. I'm assuming Mac will be back for at least one more year.  I just HOPE, that he has learned his lesson on being gun shy.  Playing it too safe has made him miss out on Wentz and now Watson. 

He better start calculating how to go up and get Rosen or he'll be looking for a new job soon.

I don't disagree at all. I still think at the end of the day, either the Jets can scout or they can't scout. If they loved Hackenberg, and he doesn't pan out, and they did not love Watson, and he continues down this road, it sure looks to me like they can't scout. They liked both Goff and Wentz enough to try to trade up, but not enough to give up what it took to get them. If you can scout, you are not perfect, but you make the right move more often than not and put your team in a good spot.

Its like parenting.... No parent is right 100% of the time, but if you are right more than you are wrong, and avoid being wrong on dramatic issues, your kids should grow up pretty good.

This is bad. Hackenber and Petty didn't shoe ANYTHING to warrant passing on a QB. Even if you wanted to wait out the Hack project (it was a 3-4 year one by most people) you still take a QB if he's there.

I'm SHOCKED that Bowles actually liked Watson. But not shocked that he liked Adams more. So of course they'd take a safety over a QB even if they liked him. Its insane.

This whole...well we liked Watson at pick 10 or 15 so we didnt take him at 6 is crazy logic. Your QB at 10 is > your safety at 6. 

Jets....

Think one of the key points in this article is the fact that Bowles “loved” Watson.  Decipher here that he wanted to draft him!!!

But it was indeed Mac who wanted to justify the Hack who went in another direction. 

This is beyond insane!!!!

Anyway carry on......

1 minute ago, Charlie Brown said:

Think one of the key points in this article is the fact that Bowles “loved” Watson.  Decipher here that he wanted to draft him!!!

But it was indeed Mac who wanted to justify the Hack who went in another direction. 

This is beyond insane!!!!

Anyway carry on......

This regime is beyond inept

President Trump should consider taking away franchise from Woody via eminent domain if he or his dopey brother negligently fail to fire everyone this January

2 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Jets brass had long discussions about the top passers, deciding only one -- Trubisky -- was worth the sixth pick. 

2 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

They'll never admit it publicly, but the Jets passed on Watson, in part, because they didn't want to give up on Hackenberg. 

The people running this team are ungodly morons who shouldn't be in charge of a McDonald's franchise.

Archived