An inside look at the Jets' decision to pass on Deshaun Watson

Gas2No99

An inside look at the Jets' decision to pass on Deshaun Watson

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The franchise that passed on Dan Marino, came oh-so-close to drafting Brett Favre and got snubbed by Peyton Manning was on the clock last April 27 with a chance to pick one of the most accomplished quarterbacks in college football history.

Deshaun Watson was the second-rated quarterback on the New York Jets' draftboard, behind Mitchell Trubisky, who was taken four spots earlier by the Chicago Bears. They admired Watson's winning pedigree and coach Todd Bowles "loved him" as a prospect, a source said. The Jets, who haven't had a franchise quarterback since Joe Namath rocked a fu manchu, were in position to make a bold move, perhaps ending decades of misery.

So what did they do? They picked Jamal Adams, a safety.

Jets brass had long discussions about the top passers, deciding only one -- Trubisky -- was worth the sixth pick. While they had high regard for Watson and Patrick Mahomes -- drafted 12th and 10th, respectively -- they didn't consider them plug-and-play quarterbacks. With Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty still developing on the bench, they didn't want to clutter the bullpen with another arm. Everyone, including Bowles, agreed Adams was the best choice. They saw him as a player with no holes, someone who could help change the culture of the organization.

Adams is living up to expectations, but as the Jets (3-5) begin the second half of the season Thursday night against the Buffalo Bills, their tortured fan base has begun its annual whine. Watson is setting records for the Houston Texans, and generations of quarterback-staved fans are wondering how their beloved Jets let another one slip away.

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2017%2F1019%2Fr276515_1

Deshaun Watson continues to impress during his breakout rookie campaign. AP Photo/Eric Christian Smith, File

"Look, the Jets are going to be second-guessed by everybody until they find their guy -- and they've been looking for some time," ESPN analyst Jon Gruden said Wednesday in a phone interview.

The Jets have drafted 25 quarterbacks since Namath in 1965, from Bob Biletnikoff (17th round, 1967) to Hackenberg (second round, 2016). They've had a few good ones, namely Ken O'Brien and Chad Pennington, but they haven't uncovered That Guy.

The current starter is journeyman Josh McCown, who has played well in a difficult situation -- over his head, many might say. In fact, he has gone four consecutive games with at least two touchdown passes. If he does it against the Bills, he'll be the first Jets passer to reach five straight since -- wait for it -- Namath.

But here's the thing: McCown is 38 years old, playing perhaps his final season. Watson, who has thrown more touchdowns (19) in his first seven games than any player in NFL history, is a young pup at 22. He's a dynamic leader who has received effusive praise from opposing players and coaches.

The Jets did their homework on Watson -- private workout, pre-draft visit, etc. The usual drill. How did Mike Maccagnan, the Jets' general manager, miss his obvious talent?

Or is it too soon to draw conclusions?

"It's not a perfect science," Gruden said. "You can't put Deshaun in the Hall of Fame yet, just like you can't put [Adams] there. Yeah, Watson has lit it up. Cleveland, what do you think they're thinking? There are any number of teams. How about the 49ers? I don't hear anybody criticizing the 49ers. I mean, there are a lot of teams that bypassed a quarterback. Did Chicago make a mistake not taking Watson? Is that where we're headed?"

Like many teams, the Jets had some concern about his interception total (17 in 2016). They also weren't sure how quickly he'd be able to absorb a pro-style offense. On the flip side, Watson was a national champion, a star who flourished on the biggest stages. He would've brought the "It" factor to the Jets.

Former quarterback Boomer Esiason, a radio and TV analyst who lives in New York and follows the Jets closely, said it's unfair to question Maccagnan's decision to pass on Watson.

"It's all revisionist history," Esiason said. "They probably didn't feel as comfortable about any of those guys running their offense and they wanted to make sure they got a high-impact player who was going to be a can't-miss player, which it seems like Jamal Adams is. It's not like they drafted somebody that can't even get on the field."

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2017%2F0803%2Fr239719_5

The Jets gave Christian Hackenberg every opportunity to win the starting job during the preseason. Noah K. Murray/USA TODAY Sports

Esiason said the "real bugaboo" on Maccagnan's record is Hackenberg, who is one of those guys who can't get on the field. He has yet to take a regular-season snap and could become only the third quarterback selected in the first or second round of the common-draft era (since 1967) to not play a game in his first two seasons. It hasn't happened since 1983.

They'll never admit it publicly, but the Jets passed on Watson, in part, because they didn't want to give up on Hackenberg. As one opposing scout said, "The Jets couldn't make that move. It would be admitting defeat."

Maybe it was ego. Maybe it was sheer stubbornness. Maybe they held out hope Hackenberg could develop despite a rookie year in which he showed little on the practice field and in preseason games.

Regardless of the motivation, the Jets doubled down on Hackenberg. He cleaned up his mechanics under new quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates and was given a chance to win the starting job this preseason, but he played progressively worse as the summer progressed.

Now he's stuck behind McCown and Petty, with talent evaluators still wondering what the Jets saw in Hackenberg to draft him in the second round.

"When you're in the same room as him, he can charm you because he's smart, articulate and good looking," the scout said. "They fell in love with a 6-foot-4, 230-pound kid with a strong arm, but go back to the tape and figure out why [he struggled at Penn State]. I don't think they did that."

The scout described Hackenberg's demeanor as "robotic," saying his responses in his scouting-combine interview sounded scripted and guarded. He wanted to see emotion. It was the same on the field.

During a college game in which Hackenberg was sacked 10 times, the scout looked through his binoculars and watched how the battered quarterback handled himself on the sideline in between series. Sometimes body language can be a window into a player's mental makeup. The scout noticed Hackenberg didn't remove his helmet, which struck him as odd. He surmised Hackenberg "didn't want TV cameras to read his lips or see the frustration on his face."

When the Jets evaluated Hackenberg, they saw a prospect with desirable traits -- size, arm and smarts. For whatever reason, he hasn't put it together.

"Unfortunately, regardless of how many picks Mike Maccagnan makes over the next year or two -- or however long he's here -- he's going to be saddled with that one until he figures out who their quarterback of the future is going to be," Esiason said.

Bowles is in no rush to put Hackenberg or Petty on the field, saying, "I looked at all of my young quarterbacks in the summer. Josh is my quarterback."

A comment like that would've been unthinkable in the summer, but the landscape changed with McCown's success and Hackenberg's profound struggles in the preseason.

Chances are, the Jets will overhaul the position in the offseason, looking for a long-term starter in the draft, free agency or the trade market. The draft will include a handful of talented quarterbacks, another reason why they didn't feel compelled to pick Watson despite a headline-making endorsement from his former Clemson coach. Dabo Swinney said any team that passes on Watson would be bypassing a Michael Jordan-like talent.

The Jets say they have a long-term plan. If it doesn't yield a quarterback, and if Watson continues to amaze, Maccagnan will be compared to Stu Inman.

Who's Stu Inman? Google "Trail Blazers" and "Michael Jordan," and you'll find out.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Jets brass had long discussions about the top passers, deciding only one -- Trubisky -- was worth the sixth pick. While they had high regard for Watson and Patrick Mahomes -- drafted 12th and 10th, respectively -- they didn't consider them plug-and-play quarterbacks. With Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty still developing on the bench, they didn't want to clutter the bullpen with another arm. Everyone, including Bowles, agreed Adams was the best choice. They saw him as a player with no holes, someone who could help change the culture of the organization.

This, along with Bowles saying he’s not playing the young guys because he saw them play in the summer is a fireable offense for everyone. It’s time to clean house again because it’s obvious to me that Macc and Bowles just don’t get it. Pink slips for everyone. 

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

This, along with Bowles saying he’s not playing the young guys because he saw them play in the summer is a fireable offense for everyone. It’s time to clean house again because it’s obvious to me that Macc and Bowles just don’t get it. Pink slips for everyone. 

Yes please.  This shouldn’t even be a debate fire everyone 

This article confirms my fear. Mac doesn't know what a good QB is. To say Trubisky was the only QB worthy of the 6th pick... well we are screwed next draft

Josh Allen next JETS QB.... FML... 

If Mac trades up and takes Allen with Rosen or Darnold on the board...... help us all

I had Trubisky as the 3rd QB last draft IMO

2 minutes ago, Stark said:

This article confirms my fear. Mac doesn't know what a good QB is. To say Trubisky was the only QB worthy of the 6th pick... well we are screwed next draft

Brian Hoyer next JETS QB.... FML... 

Fixed

we are drafting a CB with our first round pick

8 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I can't believe the fan base is giving up on me before I've ever played, either.

Is he bad?

Probably.

The fact is no one knows.  Why not support the kid?  I realize that a lot of people didn't want him drafted, but he's here now.  Constantly destroying the kid before he's even played is ridiculous.

I'll give him 20 starts.

When a team is desperate to find a player at a certain position, especially a QB, there is absolutely nothing wrong with "reaching" for a player they like a little earlier than whatever his projected draft slot was.  Not "reaching" is a silly practice that makes me want to pull my hair out.  Watson wasn't good enough to draft at #6 but he was ok to draft at #12?  Please. 

1 minute ago, ChuckkieB said:

When a team is desperate to find a player at a certain position, especially a QB, there is absolutely nothing wrong with "reaching" for a player they like a little earlier than whatever his projected draft slot was.  Not "reaching" is a silly practice that makes me want to pull my hair out.  Watson wasn't good enough to draft at #6 but he was ok to draft at #12?  Please. 

Getting a starting QB is never reaching.  Even #1 overall.  The only reason to feel it is okay taking Watson at 12 instead of 6 is because you love the player at 6 so much.  That is why I want to pull my hair out.  It was for a safety.  Maccagnan's top picks seem to value a high floor.  I guess Lee was a bit of a risk, but Williams and Adams fit the same mold.

This article pretty much sums everything up and is a summary of why MaccBowles need to go.

Adams gunghoness clearly was a factor above his athleticism.  It's not like Watson is a bad character.  

Hack was also clearly misscouted.   Can someone start sending John Dorsey NJ house listings?

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This is a shout out to all my homies that told me burning a two on Hackenberg wouldn’t preclude Maccagnan from just drafting another quarterback.

To play devils advocate, the article says they would have taken Trubiski at 6. I think this was more about loving Adams and not being 100% on Watson than it was Hackenberg. Not that it changes anything.

Just now, Ghost420 said:

Ppl act like the jets have a deandre Hopkins and will fuller to throw the ball to. My bet is Watson would not be doing this on the jets.

Sent from my SM-G950U using JetNation.com mobile app

He would not.  Watson has the same coach that made Hack and an assortment of NEP backup QBs look good.  

Colleges do not want to play pro offenses.  They have tickets to sell too.  The Jets wondered if Watson could run a pro offense.  They thought Hack could.  Maybe the smart teams make their offenses more college like.  If you can't beat them, joIn them.  

2 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

To play devils advocate, the article says they would have taken Trubiski at 6. I think this was more about loving Adams and not being 100% on Watson than it was Hackenberg. Not that it changes anything.

this article is not a referendum on hackenberg.  i think mccags looks for traditional traits in qbs, the height/arm strength, etc.  so watson doesn't necessarily fit that mold.  i hope mccags isn't as limited when he's shopping this spring.

18 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Is he bad?

Probably.

The fact is no one knows.  Why not support the kid?  I realize that a lot of people didn't want him drafted, but he's here now.  Constantly destroying the kid before he's even played is ridiculous.

I'll give him 20 starts.

When Hack was drafted the usual full-time messageboard barnacles and wind-up dentures that repeat the same mindless crap, begged not to rush Hack too soon and destroy him like Sanchez. Let him slow-cook a couple years on the bench and develop properly ...

Jets brass had long discussions about the top passers, deciding only one -- Trubisky -- was worth the sixth pick. While they had high regard for Watson and Patrick Mahomes -- drafted 12th and 10th, respectively -- they didn't consider them plug-and-play quarterbacks. With Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty still developing on the bench, they didn't want to clutter the bullpen with another arm. Everyone, including Bowles, agreed Adams was the best choice.

Complete indictment for the failure of the Jets Front Office to correctly evaluate the QB position, and QB prospects.

Failed to properly evaluate Hackenberg.

Failed to properly evaluate Petty's long term worth.

Failed to properly evaluate Watson.

Failed to properly evaluate the value of the QB position vs. the Safety position.

Failed to properly account for the likelyhood of draft positions vs. prospects in the 2108 draft.

Failed to properly manage Fitzpatrick/Geno situation.

Failed to manage the QB assets for the 2017 season (i.e. starting/staying with McCown).

To-date there is very little to recommend this front office when it comes to their management of the QB position, the single most vital position in the game.

20 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Is he bad?

Probably.

I'll give him 20 starts.

Penny-The-Big-Bang-Theory-s3e19.gif

25 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Agreed but its not just that, he was worth trading away assets for to come back into the 1st round!!!!!!!!???? but he wasn't worth taking at #6.  

holy sh*t this ******* franchise man

28 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Is he bad?

Probably.

I'll give him 20 starts.

Holy sh*t. 

You are trolling, right?  There is no possible way anybody who has watched any of Hackenberg in green and white thinks he warrants 20 starts.  I doubt anybody that saw him at Penn St thinks he warrants starts.  Don't give me that tanking bullsh*t either.

Archived