Report: Giants Closely Eyeing Darnold, Rosen

dbatesman

Not really surprising, but somewhat interesting.

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-giants/post/_/id/54741/sources-giants-looking-closely-at-sam-darnold-top-qb-prospects

Sources: Giants looking closely at Sam Darnold, top QB prospects

Jordan Raanan

ESPN Staff Writer

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- As their season has spiraled out of control, the New York Giants have begun to prepare for their future by focusing on potential franchise quarterbacks who could be available in this year’s NFL draft.

There was a directive given several weeks back by co-owner John Mara to start looking closely at the top college quarterbacks, multiple sources told ESPN. This occurred around the time it became apparent that the Giants’ season was headed nowhere, in part, because wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. would be out with a broken ankle.

Vice president of player evaluation Marc Ross, who runs the Giants’ draft, personally went to scout UCLA quarterback Josh Rosen in recent weeks, sources said. Rosen is among the nation’s top prospects at the position.

Rosen (5), USC sophomore Sam Darnold(1) and Wyoming’s Josh Allen (6) are the quarterbacks in Todd McShay’s most recent Top 32 draft prospects. Louisville’s Lamar Jackson and Oklahoma’s Baker Mayfield, with a surge in recent weeks, are also highly regarded by scouts.

Darnold may be the most intriguing option, but whispers in league circles are that he may remain at USC for another year. Rosen (personality) and Allen (level of competition) also come with questions. Jackson and Mayfield are nontraditional quarterbacks.

Still, the Giants (1-7) are doing their due diligence. This close inspection of the draft’s top quarterbacks is necessary because they have a soon-to-be 37-year-old quarterback and are in the midst of their worst season in decades. They would have the third overall pick if the season ended today and are coming off a 34-point home loss to the Los Angeles Rams.

That kind of draft pick would provide the Giants with options, and it would be irresponsible if they weren’t at least considering a quarterback. General manager Jerry Reese conceded earlier this year that Eli Manning was on the “back nine” of his career.

They drafted Davis Webb in the third round out of California before this season. He has been inactive for all eight games.

While the coaching staff has been thoroughly impressed with Webb’s work ethic and attitude, there remains an element of uncertainty after he played in an Air Raid offense in college and received limited snaps throughout training camp and the preseason. He was the fourth-string quarterback this summer behind Manning, Geno Smith and Josh Johnson. Reps in a live atmosphere were hard to come by.

Giants coach Ben McAdoo has left open the possibility in recent days that Webb could receive playing time later this season. Manning will start Sunday on the road against the San Francisco 49ers.

“Eli, he’s our quarterback,” McAdoo said. “But that doesn’t mean, at some point in time, we won’t throw another guy in there to get a look at him.”

If Webb develops into a significant player and the Giants hit on a quarterback early in this year’s draft, that is a good problem to have. It’s better than the alternative -- being stuck in quarterback purgatory for an extended period after Manning’s career with the Giants ends.

It inevitably will. Manning won’t be the Giants' quarterback for too much longer. He has two years remaining on his current deal, which has a no-trade clause. He costs $22.2 million and $23.2 million against the salary cap in 2018 and ’19, respectively. The Giants can cut him with some financial consequences any time in the next two years.

Manning’s successor will have substantial shoes to fill. The two-time Super Bowl winner has been the face of the franchise for much of the past 14 seasons. Manning has also been a model of stability. He’s set to start his 208th consecutive regular-season game on Sunday, tying his brother Peyton for second all time among quarterbacks.

It has been a while since the Giants were seriously in the mix for a top quarterback. They haven’t had a top-five pick since 2004, when they selected Philip Riversand traded him for Manning, the No. 1 overall selection by the San Diego Chargers.

Manning has started every game for the Giants since midway through his rookie season. This year’s draft may be the prime opportunity for them to find their next surefire franchise quarterback.

The best bet for success at the quarterback position remains at the top of the draft. Three of the past four MVPs were No. 1 overall picks. Carson Wentz, the No. 2 overall pick last year, is the current front-runner for this year’s award.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Pennington said:

I can't think of a worse scenario than the Giants landing one of the top QBs while we go defense again.

I want to see all these jets fans who are giddy over going 7-9 with no playoffs when Sam Darnold is backing up Eli next year

you mean the giaints won't play geno?  true enough they have to replace ELIte.  if mcadoo is still coach he's going to want his own guy.  smae thing for the next guy so it makes complete sense they will be going for a qb.  eli's contract has quite a bit of dead money until 2019.

Eli Manning Current Contract

Year Age Base Salary (Guaranteed) Bonuses Cap
Number
Cap %  
Dead Money & Cap Savings
Prorated Roster Workout Other
2015 34 $5,500,000 $5,500,000 $8,450,000 $0 $500,000 $0 $14,450,000 10.1%      
2016 35 $17,500,000 $17,500,000 $6,200,000 $0 $500,000 $0 $24,200,000 15.6%      
2017 36 $13,000,000 $13,000,000 $6,200,000 $0 $500,000 $0 $19,700,000 11.8%  
$31,600,000
($11,900,000)
2018 37 $10,500,000 $6,200,000 $5,000,000 $500,000 $0 $22,200,000 12.5%  
$12,400,000
$9,800,000
2019 38 $11,500,000 $6,200,000 $5,000,000 $500,000 $0 $23,200,000 12.2%  
$6,200,000
$17,000,000
Total   $58,000,000 $33,250,000 $10,000,000 $2,500,000 $0 $103,750,000    

26 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I want to see all these jets fans who are giddy over going 7-9 with no playoffs when Sam Darnold is backing up Eli next year

We've already got 4 wins.  At this point we're not getting the #1 overall pick without a massive trade up.  Not saying I'd be the least bit giddy if we go 7-9.  I was 100% on board for the tank but, at this point, I think we've blown our chance.

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the Jets have recently passed on Watson, Carr and Jimmy G.

they don't need to pick 1 they just need to make a smart pick

Agreed. And Russell Wilson. If you have the right guys running things, it doesn't matter where you pick. None of these QB's coming out have looked like sure things so far and are no brainers.

Would any of you want to go through the sh*t mess the Giants are going though this year? Ok fine in May you will have 1 day of fun having a top 3 pick with zero guarantees. Me? I have lost for so long with this team that I relish winning and I don't give a crap who the QB might be next year. This league is so evenly balanced, anyone could come out of either conference so if by some crazy chance we make the playoffs god forbid, you never know. One thing for certain, I can never and will never root for the NY Jets to lose any game ever.

I think the Giants need to do their due diligence on the top QB's because you may not be drafting that high for a while but it is also a good thing to have this leak out if they are NOT looking for a QB. That means teams will try to trade in front of them to take a QB allowing a OT or Barkley to be there for when they pick.

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

What are the chances we take a defensive player in the 1st and the Giants get their QB for the next decade-plus? 100%? 110%? 150%?

Depends on Macc.  I think he knows he cannot simply put out a McCown/Fitz placeholder again in 2018.

But he may still believe in Hack....if he does, he won;t draft a QB in Round 1.

Or he may covet some free agent, Brees?  Cousins?  If he does, we'll pay a huge long contract, and won't draft a QB in Round 1.

Or he may pull the "well, wanted a QB but not at #6 with who was left" argument, and he won't draft a QB in Round 1, but later (round 2 and beyond).

So there is a good chance we take a defensive player in the 1st, but there would (IMO) need to be cause i.e. one or more of the reasons above.

48 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the Jets have recently passed on Watson, Carr and Jimmy G.

they don't need to pick 1 they just need to make a smart pick

Yes that is true but we don't exactly have a genius running things. Why should anyone believe that the guy that picked Hackenberg has any clue what a franchise QB looks like. At least if we were picking 1st or 2nd we would be picking the consensus top guy which has a better chance of success than whoever Maccagnan deems to be that guy.

2 minutes ago, Pennington said:

Yes that is true but we don't exactly have a genius running things. Why should anyone believe that the guy that picked Hackenberg has any clue what a franchise QB looks like. At least if we were picking 1st or 2nd we would be picking the consensus top guy which has a better chance of success than whoever Maccagnan deems to be that guy.

Because everybody deserves one mulligan. That was his mulligan

Archived