LeVeon Bell: Not interested in the Jets (merged)

CrazyCarl40

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Never mind.  I didnt realize it was tweeted out by a fan and Bell responded.  For some reason I thought it was responding to someone on the Jets.  I dont really get the whole tweeter thingy so got confused.

Still carrying a torch and pitch fork though, ok? 

Me too in the beginning.  I support Bell for wanting as much as he can get. He is still playing at a crazy high league level and deserves every dime he can get. If he starts slouching after he gets paid then I  probably develop disdain for him too. But for now Bell > Revis 

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Me too in the beginning.  I support Bell for wanting as much as he can get. He is still playing at a crazy high league level and deserves every dime he can get. If he starts slouching after he gets paid then I  probably develop disdain for him too. But for now Bell > Revis 

Did you read Sperm Edwards last post? I read it twice it's so good. 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

So no other OLmen starting in this league, that were taken between picks 5 and 152? C'mon.

The Pats didn't find their starting center for the past 3 seasons in late round 4? We instead pounced on a pass rusher with 4.9 speed in round 3, leading to him panicking into trading up for Petty in round 4.

Imagine if, instead of taking Mauldin and Petty, he'd taken Daryl Williams and Shaq Mason. Or Trent Brown with either the 7th rounder he traded away in his move-up for Petty or the one he traded for Zac Stacy, which then would have negated the "need" to burn a 2017 4th rounder to take Shell in round 5 a year later.

He took useless Jarvis Harrison in round 5 and that's it, despite knowing he had an aging and severely declined and still-declining expensive LT, an aging C, a hole+hope at one guard position, and trash at RT. It's certainly ok to find an OLman later in the draft, but when you've got an OL with current or upcoming problems it's not ok to only look to the late rounds and 2nd/3rd tier FAs.

The attempt to trade up for Tunsil ultimately was not a real attempt; it was an attempt only if he could get greater than internet-chart value for the pick (lest he miss out on Hackenberg later). He got hung up on the chart value instead of saying to himself, whoa I can effectively move into the top 3 (since by then the Tunsil pic was outed as being years old), for the 20th and 51st picks. Nahhh. The pick is #10 now and the chart says I'm not pulling one over on the Giants. Never mind that he should have pulled the trigger to get to #1 when the offer was right there. He shrunk back into his shell on both offers.

They were never in the running to sign Osemele before the draft; they merely had rumored "interest" as usual. The Ravens made an offer in February at LT money, so the Jets were never going to get him in to play RG over Winters unless they wanted to pay LT money at the far cheaper RG position. That's on top of whatever else Oakland, San Fran, and any other interested teams were willing to offer, a year after Macc blew his salary cap wad.

Regardless, repeatedly saying he had "interest" in players on whom he didn't pull the trigger are not examples of placing high priority on elite OL veterans or prospects. It means he's interested in elite OLmen if and only if he can get them at below-market prices when everyone else is in the bidding for these players.

Yet he's not interested in such below-free-market amounts when he has his own player by the balls (Winters -- that same spring where Osemele was in play, was the time to lock him up, not when the player has the team by the balls after that final contract season's over. I mean, good for Winters, but not good for the Jets; it also has led to the team being locked into this mediocre-at-best RG for an extra year with no possible improvement until 2019). In proportion to everything else he's done wrong, it's minor ($3-4m/year, and locked into 2018 instead of the guaranteed portion being over already), but it's another window into why so many things don't go right.

So no starter-worthy, significant upgrades on the OL in the entire draft, really? You can tell this already, after a rookie season in which many are/were still behind an incumbent starter, but for any player he's drafted we're apparently supposed to give a requisite 2-3 years before making such judgments?

When they pre-grade a draft as being strong or weak at a position, it means one of two things: either it's thin at the position overall, and/or there isn't that 1 or 2 elite prospects at the position expected in the top 10. It doesn't mean there are no above-average prospects to be had at those positions.

He went into the season with Wesley Johnson on a 1-year RFA tag in a mulligan/rebuild-for-the-future season. There is no rationalization for that. He was in a position to draft another center, rescind that RFA tag (as well as the one for Williams who was already buried on the depth chart, and would be cut outright a few weeks later), and have some realistic competition and future hope at the position.

It's this "there so was interest" attitude - and understand, I'm not trying to single you out because we all want to believe the guys in charge of our team know what they're doing - that I find so problematic. That if the 1 player he wanted most is unattainable - or we're unwilling to pay that price - then lock the team into meh players for multiple seasons. This is why his supposedly-religious "BAP" drafting, without far heavier weight placed on which positions they play, has dug us such a hole and already wasted multiple seasons where we might have been able to make some serious noise. 

We need a “ you have been served “ button with a little blinged out Sperm break dancing wearing a Jets cap on backwards . @Maxman

13 hours ago, SAR I said:

It is better to take the chance that Josh Allen might be the next Joe Montana then it is to knowingly add someone whose ceiling is Neil O’Donnell. 

SAR I

the comparison to O'Donnell is just stupid.  The only thing in common is that he and Cousins hit UFA at age 29-30 (29 for Cousins and 30 for O'Donnell).  That's where the similarity ends.  Any success that O'Donnell had on the Steelers up to that point was based on the strength of the team around him, which was significant.  On the other hand, Cousins had very few offensive weapons, in fact the best one he had (Reed) was injured more than 50% of the time.  The OL has been below average in Washington as has been the defense.   Other than age at free agency, there is no other correlation there.  If you are going to analogize O'Donnell to Cousins, then you must also do the same for Brees to Cousins.  He was an UFA at the same age and look at the results.

16 hours ago, T0mShane said:

cc: @L_Bell26 

i mean hey hey my man how can you turn this down

C221B8CD-1547-4877-8924-9CABB25C91B1.gif

Lee dances angry.

Adams...  hard to describe....  kind of Hokey-Pokeyish.  None of these guys are going to win dancing with the stars anytime soon. 

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

We need a “ you have been served “ button with a little blinged out Sperm break dancing wearing a Jets cap on backwards . @Maxman

I remember getting those notifications: “Sperm Edwards has replied...” and absolutely dreading what he had done to my post. 

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

So no other OLmen starting in this league, that were taken between picks 5 and 152? C'mon.

The Pats didn't find their starting center for the past 3 seasons in late round 4? We instead pounced on a pass rusher with 4.9 speed in round 3, leading to him panicking into trading up for Petty in round 4.

Imagine if, instead of taking Mauldin and Petty, he'd taken Daryl Williams and Shaq Mason. Or Trent Brown with either the 7th rounder he traded away in his move-up for Petty or the one he traded for Zac Stacy, which then would have negated the "need" to burn a 2017 4th rounder to take Shell in round 5 a year later.

He took useless Jarvis Harrison in round 5 and that's it, despite knowing he had an aging and severely declined and still-declining expensive LT, an aging C, a hole+hope at one guard position, and trash at RT. It's certainly ok to find an OLman later in the draft, but when you've got an OL with current or upcoming problems it's not ok to only look to the late rounds and 2nd/3rd tier FAs.

The attempt to trade up for Tunsil ultimately was not a real attempt; it was an attempt only if he could get greater than internet-chart value for the pick (lest he miss out on Hackenberg later). He got hung up on the chart value instead of saying to himself, whoa I can effectively move into the top 3 (since by then the Tunsil pic was outed as being years old), for the 20th and 51st picks. Nahhh. The pick is #10 now and the chart says I'm not pulling one over on the Giants. Never mind that he should have pulled the trigger to get to #1 when the offer was right there. He shrunk back into his shell on both offers.

They were never in the running to sign Osemele before the draft; they merely had rumored "interest" as usual. The Ravens made an offer in February at LT money, so the Jets were never going to get him in to play RG over Winters unless they wanted to pay LT money at the far cheaper RG position. That's on top of whatever else Oakland, San Fran, and any other interested teams were willing to offer, a year after Macc blew his salary cap wad.

Regardless, repeatedly saying he had "interest" in players on whom he didn't pull the trigger are not examples of placing high priority on elite OL veterans or prospects. It means he's interested in elite OLmen if and only if he can get them at below-market prices when everyone else is in the bidding for these players.

Yet he's not interested in such below-free-market amounts when he has his own player by the balls (Winters -- that same spring where Osemele was in play, was the time to lock him up, not when the player has the team by the balls after that final contract season's over. I mean, good for Winters, but not good for the Jets; it also has led to the team being locked into this mediocre-at-best RG for an extra year with no possible improvement until 2019). In proportion to everything else he's done wrong, it's minor ($3-4m/year, and locked into 2018 instead of the guaranteed portion being over already), but it's another window into why so many things don't go right.

So no starter-worthy, significant upgrades on the OL in the entire draft, really? You can tell this already, after a rookie season in which many are/were still behind an incumbent starter, but for any player he's drafted we're apparently supposed to give a requisite 2-3 years before making such judgments?

When they pre-grade a draft as being strong or weak at a position, it means one of two things: either it's thin at the position overall, and/or there isn't that 1 or 2 elite prospects at the position expected in the top 10. It doesn't mean there are no above-average prospects to be had at those positions.

He went into the season with Wesley Johnson on a 1-year RFA tag in a mulligan/rebuild-for-the-future season. There is no rationalization for that. He was in a position to draft another center, rescind that RFA tag (as well as the one for Williams who was already buried on the depth chart, and would be cut outright a few weeks later), and have some realistic competition and future hope at the position.

It's this "there so was interest" attitude - and understand, I'm not trying to single you out because we all want to believe the guys in charge of our team know what they're doing - that I find so problematic. That if the 1 player he wanted most is unattainable - or we're unwilling to pay that price - then lock the team into meh players for multiple seasons. This is why his supposedly-religious "BAP" drafting, without far heavier weight placed on which positions they play, has dug us such a hole and already wasted multiple seasons where we might have been able to make some serious noise. 

holy sh*t

tumblr_naz7399eA11qlh9eeo1_500.gif

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

3 hours ago, HessStation said:

Did you read Sperm Edwards last post? I read it twice it's so good. 

3 hours ago, The Crusher said:

2 hours ago, dbatesman said:

holy sh*t

tumblr_lihr3mrA0I1qcay1ao1_500.gif

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

the comparison to O'Donnell is just stupid.  The only thing in common is that he and Cousins hit UFA at age 29-30 (29 for Cousins and 30 for O'Donnell).  That's where the similarity ends.  Any success that O'Donnell had on the Steelers up to that point was based on the strength of the team around him, which was significant.  On the other hand, Cousins had very few offensive weapons, in fact the best one he had (Reed) was injured more than 50% of the time.  The OL has been below average in Washington as has been the defense.   Other than age at free agency, there is no other correlation there.  If you are going to analogize O'Donnell to Cousins, then you must also do the same for Brees to Cousins.  He was an UFA at the same age and look at the results.

That’s fair and you’re probably right but he’s not going to leave that Washington situation in Maryland for another Washington situation in New Jersey. 

He’s in Minneapolis stalking John Elway and Tom Coughlin as we speak. 

SAR I

19 minutes ago, SAR I said:

That’s fair and you’re probably right but he’s not going to leave that Washington situation in Maryland for another Washington situation in New Jersey. 

SAR I

mccagnan will do his best but he has to realize that he does not have a lot of selling points.  the best offensive player he's drafted is probably elijah mcguire.

2 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Agreed, but money is a helluva drug.

we all know that other teams are going to get creative in how they offer cousins contracts, and that mccagnan doesn't have the balls to up the ante if there's bidding.  he likes to shop for bargains, he's not the guy to trade up for a qb, draft a qb if he's not BAP or overpay what he perceives to be fair market value.  

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

we all know that other teams are going to get creative in how they offer cousins contracts, and that mccagnan doesn't have the balls to up the ante if there's bidding.  he likes to shop for bargains, he's not the guy to trade up for a qb, draft a qb if he's not BAP or overpay what he perceives to be fair market value.  

See but the thinking on “get creative” means “backload” for most teams, which is not in the best interest of the player for pretty much every reason. It doesn’t take much balls to outbid everyone when you have way more money, and McGM has both paid top of the market price on FAs as well as shopped for smaller buys. We might mince the individual buys, but the point overall is that spending is not unprecedented under McGM. Further, the Jets are incentivized by league rules on spending as well as their top of the league 3 year available cap space. Plus I am not a fan of this JN logic where the available money is downplayed so that spending it on the top FAs rather than the ASJs and Ealys can be overplayed. 

7 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Definitely thought the argument was spending high picks or big money on OL. Had no idea we were talking 3rd and later.

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

I agree with that.  I hope Mac can do his job and get him.  I know you don't want him and I understand how the craving for a sure thing rookie can dictate logic.  Any other year, I'd agree, but with the #6 pick, we would need to trade up a boatload of picks which will probably include next years #1. If only we had the #3 pick.  I'd probably feel differently.  But Bowles just had to win some meaningless games.  (Again.)I'd rather take the solid franchise QB (I like Cousins a lot) and use the picks to build around him starting with OL, RB edge rusher, CB.

Talking to WFAN’s “The Afternoon Drive,” Bell said it would take $100 million guaranteed for him to come to New York.

“That’s not personal against the Jets,” the three-time Pro Bowler said. “I want everybody to know that’s not personal with the Jets. It’s just like I need more if I’m going to play with the Jets because they ain’t got no quarterback.

20 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Definitely thought the argument was spending high picks or big money on OL. Had no idea we were talking 3rd and later.

I'm pretty sure I outlined more than just that. Also I only outlined 3rd and later for 2015. It's pertinent because it points to his judgment of college prospects outside of upper round 1 (which takes no great skill anymore, in light of resources available to anyone who can spell Google), and that's the only theoretical qualification for his having the job in the first place. 

In 2015 he already had a veteran line in place for that season (he added a guard at a position that would've been on any new GM's shopping list). So he had the luxury of waiting a bit and stocking up on better in middle rounds or later, but not just a single 5th round guard prospect and nothing else FFS.

The Jets will never win a SB with this coffee breath boob choosing the roster. The job is over his head, and the only reasons he's here were: (1) candidates with better options, than a team with Woody Johnson picking the HC, go with those better options; and (2) when shopping for a GM, Woody Johnson hired his mentor; (3) no one else was knocking on his door. 

Too many - including the Jets owner and interim owner - confuse his calm and confident demeanor for competence. 

17 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Talking to WFAN’s “The Afternoon Drive,” Bell said it would take $100 million guaranteed for him to come to New York.

“That’s not personal against the Jets,” the three-time Pro Bowler said. “I want everybody to know that’s not personal with the Jets. It’s just like I need more if I’m going to play with the Jets because they ain’t got no quarterback.

And then we get Cousins and he suddenly will take less.?

15 hours ago, Dcat said:

I agree with that.  I hope Mac can do his job and get him.  I know you don't want him and I understand how the craving for a sure thing rookie can dictate logic.  Any other year, I'd agree, but with the #6 pick, we would need to trade up a boatload of picks which will probably include next years #1. If only we had the #3 pick.  I'd probably feel differently.  But Bowles just had to win some meaningless games.  (Again.)I'd rather take the solid franchise QB (I like Cousins a lot) and use the picks to build around him starting with OL, RB edge rusher, CB.

i think there is a chance that either darnold or rosen is there at 3.  that's probably the best case scenario, along with denver signing cousins.

1 hour ago, MDL_JET said:

I must have missed that part because I listened to what I felt was half that interview yesterday, I never heard what he actually wanted. What was the actual quote? He did sound pretty genuine when he said the $60M wasn't meant to knock the Jets as much as it just wasn't enough for any team to sign him. He also said he expects a deal to get done with the Steelers and if not then we'll be back here next year. It sounded like he would play on the franchise tag even though he didn't come out and say that.

On 2/1/2018 at 4:10 PM, Paradis said:

go on...

Again, rather than signing a RB to a $16 million a year contract, I would rather go out and get Chubb in the 2nd round and pair him with McGuire and Powell.  Then, use that money to sign a C and some depth player.  I just don't see Bell being worth that kind of money. 

On 2/2/2018 at 6:13 PM, bla bla bla said:

On 2/3/2018 at 9:27 AM, Sperm Edwards said:

I'm pretty sure I outlined more than just that. Also I only outlined 3rd and later for 2015. It's pertinent because it points to his judgment of college prospects outside of upper round 1 (which takes no great skill anymore, in light of resources available to anyone who can spell Google), and that's the only theoretical qualification for his having the job in the first place. 

In 2015 he already had a veteran line in place for that season (he added a guard at a position that would've been on any new GM's shopping list). So he had the luxury of waiting a bit and stocking up on better in middle rounds or later, but not just a single 5th round guard prospect and nothing else FFS.

The Jets will never win a SB with this coffee breath boob choosing the roster. The job is over his head, and the only reasons he's here were: (1) candidates with better options, than a team with Woody Johnson picking the HC, go with those better options; and (2) when shopping for a GM, Woody Johnson hired his mentor; (3) no one else was knocking on his door. 

Too many - including the Jets owner and interim owner - confuse his calm and confident demeanor for competence. 

On 2/3/2018 at 10:26 AM, bla bla bla said:

I must have missed that part because I listened to what I felt was half that interview yesterday, I never heard what he actually wanted. What was the actual quote? He did sound pretty genuine when he said the $60M wasn't meant to knock the Jets as much as it just wasn't enough for any team to sign him. He also said he expects a deal to get done with the Steelers and if not then we'll be back here next year. It sounded like he would play on the franchise tag even though he didn't come out and say that.

Just stay down, bla bla bla.  Just stay down. 

Archived