FREE AGENT NEWS

joewilly12

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

No doubt. Just get a replacement level body at center and it’s already improved tenfold. That’s one position I’d still draft with one of the seconds, to boot. Long has also played guard in the past.

If we don't trade up (or don't give up both 2's in a trade up) I'd love to scoop Price in the 2nd round and double down.  

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Hard to see them taking Barkley at one now, IMO. This could be Allen’s spot, which would set off a chain reaction with Buffalo, the Giants, etc

Thinking the same.  Somehow, the outline for the top 10 of the draft is murkier after the start of FA.

29 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Ok I’m pretty happy with what we’ve done so far

Wanted a wr- Watkins and Richburg- doesn’t seem like we were interested and are getting a different center anyway

but id love to know the exec that thinks we’re the most improved team by signing Johnson, Crowell, Bridgewater, and an ilb none of us have heard of until yesterday 

Browns - Allen

Giants - Barkley

Colts - Chubb/trade - QB

Browns - Fitz/trade - QB

Broncos - Nelson/QB/trade - QB

Jets - My gut says the Colts and Browns will look to trade down with the Broncos or Jets unless Buffalo blows its load. They will still be able to land their player of choice with either pick. 

1 minute ago, bla bla bla said:

Browns - Allen

Giants - Barkley

Colts - Chubb/trade - QB

Browns - Fitz/trade - QB

Jets - My gut says the Colts and Browns will look to trade down with the Broncos or Jets unless Buffalo blows its load. They will still be able to land their player of choice with either pick. 

I'd say Darnold goes 1 if they go QB. But still i'd be on the phone immediately with the Colts then the Browns for Rosen(3) and then Mayfield(4). 

Just give us Rosen dammit! Just let us have something we want for once.

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Thinking the same.  Somehow, the outline for the top 10 of the draft is murkier after the start of FA.

I don’t know. It feels like a lot of things are pointing to a feeding frenzy for the four QBs. Saw a rumor yesterday that the Giants are responding to Norwell teabagging them by going out and signing Jensen and Solder, which you’d think takes them out of Quentin Nelson territory. Broncos, you’d think, are all in on QBs with Keenum only getting two years there. Then there’s Buffalo clearly aiming for a top five pick. The only team that acted like they wanted no part of drafting a QB yesterday was the Jets.

12 minutes ago, Jetmech said:

Hopefully this doesn't become a massive story during TC although in Jets land it will.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Imo they should get ripped for it daily if it's true.

Really not looking forward to a season of Bowles saying, "He gives us the best chance to win."

5 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Browns - Allen

Giants - Barkley

Colts - Chubb/trade - QB

Browns - Fitz/trade - QB

1. Browns: Allen

2. Giants: Rosen/Darnold/Barkley

3. Bills: Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield

4.Browns: Barkley/Nelson

5. Broncos: Mayfield/Allen

6. Jets: Minkah/Ward/Nelson/Chubb

22 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

No doubt. Just get a replacement level body at center and it’s already improved tenfold. That’s one position I’d still draft with one of the seconds, to boot. Long has also played guard in the past.

James Daniels, please.

Love the idea of signing a FA who could play center or guard. Leaves drafting a center open if the opportunity presents itself and I think Daniels is going to be fantastic.

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t know. It feels like a lot of things are pointing to a feeding frenzy for the four QBs. Saw a rumor yesterday that the Giants are responding to Norwell teabagging them by going out and signing Jensen and Solder, which you’d think takes them out of Quentin Nelson territory. Broncos, you’d think, are all in on QBs with Keenum only getting two years there. Then there’s Buffalo clearly aiming for a top five pick. The only team that acted like they wanted no part of drafting a QB yesterday was the Jets.

I've read enough of your tongue in cheek posts to know you don't really believe that about the Jets. Signing a 40 year old QB and a guy for cheap that has been injured to 1 year deals just points to the fact that they will draft a QB. 

1 minute ago, derp said:

James Daniels, please.

Love the idea of signing a FA who could play center or guard. Leaves drafting a center open if the opportunity presents itself and I think Daniels is going to be fantastic.

No doubt. I’m not too keen on cutting either James Carpenter or Brian Winters because I think they’re both solid players who got dragged down by an awful center. Add Long as the adequate filler, then draft the upside of Daniels or Price. If the draft pick blows you away, make Long your swing guy.

5 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

I've read enough of your tongue in cheek posts to know you don't really believe that about the Jets. Signing a 40 year old QB and a guy for cheap that has been injured to 1 year deals just points to the fact that they will draft a QB. 

Not tongue in cheek at all. You’re talking about a coach that was starting Ryan Fitzpatrick in Week 17 when Fitzpatrick was literally the worst QB statistically in the league, and who would have started Josh McCown for all sixteen games last year if he didn’t get hurt. Bowles called McCown his most favorite player that he’s ever coached. It’s best if you just consider Teddy (still only 25 years old) the substitute for whatever QB you wanted to draft in Round One, because that’s how he’ll be handled. Which, honestly, isn’t the worst thing. It’s like drafting a rookie that’s already had a bunch of starts in the NFL and didn’t outright suck.

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

Yesterday says the #6 pick is not going to be a QB. Heck, it screams as much. 

Picking a QB high and whiffing is a fireable offense. Picking another consensus choice defender who falls as all the gutsy GMs move ahead of us and try for a QB is safe.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The entire justification for throwing the year, at least from the Jejune Brigade, was that we were doing it for the #1 overall in the bestest quarterback draft ever and the chance to sign all the top FA’s. Literally neither of those things even came close to happening. 

This franchise threw a season in April for that. Pissed an entire year away. Never forget it. You, yes you, were conned and lied to. 

The only jabronies who thought the Jets were throwing anything was your insufferable wolf pack.  Sorry but no coaches or players ever considered your feelings when it was time to go play a game.

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Not tongue in cheek at all. You’re talking about a coach that was starting Ryan Fitzpatrick in Week 17 when Fitzpatrick was literally the worst QB statistically in the league, and who would have started Josh McCown for all sixteen games last year if he didn’t get hurt. Bowles called McCown his most favorite player that he’s ever coached. It’s best if you just consider Teddy (still only 25 years old) the substitute for whatever QB you wanted to draft in Round One, because that’s how he’ll be handled. Which, honestly, isn’t the worst thing. It’s like drafting a rookie that’s already had a bunch of starts in the NFL and didn’t outright suck.

I think the Teddy signing just makes it that much less likely that we trade up.  Macc lets the draft come to him, and if a QB we like is there at 6, Teddy and Mccown are not going to prevent us from taking the guy.  Having the two guys under contract eliminates the desperation to trade up -- with Bridgewater being the young QB with upside, but significant question marks. 

26 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Hard to see them taking Barkley at one now, IMO. This could be Allen’s spot, which would set off a chain reaction with Buffalo, the Giants, etc

Agreed that it now looks like the Browns will go QB with the first pick. But, after the Browns select a QB, how do the Giants NOT take Barkley? And I really question the Giants trading out of the first 7 or 8 picks because the cream of the crop in this draft is the Quarterbacks, Barkley, Chubb, and Fitzpatrick. This is the Jets great advantage in trading up. If a team above the Jets makes a trade with the Jets, they can still get Barkely, Chubb, or Fitzpatrick. If a team picking in the top 5 trades with the Bills, they can say good bye to their shot at one of these guys. I think this makes the Jets a far better trading partner for the Giants, Colts or Browns than the Bills or any other team. I really can not envision the Jets screwing this up. 

2 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Agreed that it now looks like the Browns will go QB with the first pick. But, after the Browns select a QB, how do the Giants NOT take Barkley? And I really question the Giants trading out of the first 7 or 8 picks because the cream of the crop in this draft is the Quarterbacks, Barkley, Chubb, and Fitzpatrick. This is the Jets great advantage in trading up. If a team above the Jets makes a trade with the Jets, they can still get Barkely, Chubb, or Fitzpatrick. If a team picking in the top 5 trades with the Bills, they can say good bye to their shot at one of these guys. I think this makes the Jets a far better trading partner for the Giants, Colts or Browns than the Bills or any other team. I really can not envision the Jets screwing this up

:D

2 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Agreed that it now looks like the Browns will go QB with the first pick. But, after the Browns select a QB, how do the Giants NOT take Barkley? And I really question the Giants trading out of the first 7 or 8 picks because the cream of the crop in this draft is the Quarterbacks, Barkley, Chubb, and Fitzpatrick. This is the Jets great advantage in trading up. If a team above the Jets makes a trade with the Jets, they can still get Barkely, Chubb, or Fitzpatrick. If a team picking in the top 5 trades with the Bills, they can say good bye to their shot at one of these guys. I think this makes the Jets a far better trading partner for the Giants, Colts or Browns than the Bills or any other team. I really can not envision the Jets screwing this up. 

You might want to let that last sentence roll around in your head a little bit :)

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

I think the Teddy signing just makes it that much less likely that we trade up.  Macc lets the draft come to him, and if a QB we like is there at 6, Teddy and Mccown are not going to prevent us from taking the guy.  Having the two guys under contract eliminates the desperation to trade up -- with Bridgewater being the young QB with upside, but significant question marks. 

Agreed, but I don’t think either Maccagnan nor Bowles have ever wanted any part of drafting a QB at six regardless, even before signing Teddy. Even if only superficially, yesterday’s signings give them the cover they need to go in a different direction. 

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

Jets pact with Spencer Long set to become official when the new league year begins this afternoon

Meh.  I don't know much about him.  Not sure he's much of an upgrade.  Anyone have some intel?  As it stands, I wouldn't hate us taking a Center on day 2 if a good one falls right.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Agreed, but I don’t think either Maccagnan nor Bowles have ever wanted any part of drafting a QB at six regardless, even before signing Teddy. Even if only superficially, yesterday’s signings give them the cover they need to go in a different direction. 

Maybe in their own minds, but nowhere else.  In no rational thoughtspace are McCown and Bridgewater on one-year deals a stable QB platform to build around for the next few years.

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

the possibility that they try but get shut out of the qbs has to be considered.  teams could offer insane packages to get ahead of the jets and i think that factored into the bridgewater signing.  the jets do not control their own destiny here.  but they could always deal bridgewater during the season if/when a rookie is ready.  

Archived