JetNation 2018 Mock Draft DISCUSSION

Dcat

23 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Rob, what are your thoughts on Connor Williams? Scouting reports are all over the place on him

Quick analysis based off of his WV tape. I like him, he moves well but is not uber athletic. He uses his hands well and is great at shedding assignments. Good at the second level. He maintains his blocks and has a nasty streak, which I love. Well coached and is ready to start day one.

I'd grade him as a mid first rounder based on that one tape if I wasn't taking into account injury history. I would have looked more into him but we have a 0% chance of drafting him. Maybe @maury77  can start a film critique thread on him. Those threads were great at the last site and highlighted the posters that did their work on this draft stuff.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, Lith said:

No, but its not a bad idea.

Maybe next year I will stick my brother in law in there or something.  Nobody wants to get stuck with my brother in law.  If my sister had half a brain, she would not want to be stuck with my brother in law.  Dead beat, good for nothing loser.  On the other hand, nobody wants to get stuck with my sister either. 

But I digress.

I wasn't really paying attention since I'm really not looking at WRs for the Chargers...but I kept seeing him as one of the highest rated guys left on the spreadsheet but I didn't recognize his name from PSU at all.  Then I started googling and was like WTF?

Lol....it's too bad no one picked him.  That would have been butfumble worthy.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

15 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Without even looking, it’s Steven Richardson, WR, PSU right? I thought you snuck him in there to bait some lazy bastard into taking him so you could out the slackers.

I had to create this new account territory in my job.  A bunch of accounts had to get switched around to do it.  I sent out a list to update the team on the final decisions of the accounts that we're moving and put in "Dunder Mifflin" as one of the accounts.  There were probably 500 people on this distro list.  2 ******* people caught it.  2.  And the ****er that I assigned the account to, had no ******* clue and when I asked him if he watched "The Office" he was like, OMG my favorite show.  ****er never even read my email.

Steven Richardson felt like that for me.  

10 hours ago, RobR said:

Quick analysis based off of his WV tape. I like him, he moves well but is not uber athletic. He uses his hands well and is great at shedding assignments. Good at the second level. He maintains his blocks and has a nasty streak, which I love. Well coached and is ready to start day one.

I'd grade him as a mid first rounder based on that one tape if I wasn't taking into account injury history. I would have looked more into him but we have a 0% chance of drafting him. Maybe @maury77  can start a film critique thread on him. Those threads were great at the last site and highlighted the posters that did their work on this draft stuff.

You like Connor Williams but you dont like a guy who gave up 2 sacks in 900 snaps.

Image result for eye roll gif

47 minutes ago, JiF said:

You like Connor Williams but you dont like a guy who gave up 2 sacks in 900 snaps.

Image result for eye roll gif

Just admit that I am a genius GM who pulled off an amazing trade for an #elite talent and you are a brutal, unlearned hack who just blew a first round pick on 400 pounds of cookie dough. 

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Just admit that I am a genius GM who pulled off an amazing trade for an #elite talent and you are a brutal, unlearned hack who just blew a first round pick on 400 pounds of cookie dough. 

So, the Jags (the team I'm picking for) brought in Orlando Brown for a private workout and the local radio was discussing it this morning.  The Jags, have only selected players in the 1st round that have come in for visits during the Caldwell era.  They've brought in 3 Tackles (no Connor Williams).  The radio show had a guest spot with Tony Boselli and he chimed in and said he watched some tape on Brown after hearing they were bringing him in and obviously knowing about the combine, he was curious.  Tony raved about him.  Said his film was damn near flawless...footwork, leverage, hands, etc. all insanely good and nobody could get by him and the film he saw, he faced a variety of different pass rushes ie; speed, power, spins, etc - Brown stopped them all.  The thing he was most impressed with was that Mayfield is unorthodox in the pocket, moves around a lot, happy feet and often times hold the ball too long inviting pressure...but Brown, still never let anyone get to him.  He said he has the tape of a top 10 pick, day 1 starter.

Future HOF LT, Tony B. or Tom Shane or RobR?  i dunno.  That's a tough one.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Paradis said:

lol, i try not to make my drafts too predictable - given how vocal I am... I left Edmonds out there as long as i could tolerate. I think he goes 4-5 later this month. 

Was it you that took Cook in like the top 10 last year? 

Thanks for covering for me over the weekend.  I was/am woefully unprepared.  Jones is a solid prospect for me.  Tons of reach. I probably would not have selected Tegray Scales at all though.  He has no reach.  I am 5'9" and I have longer arms and bigger hands.  His arms are Dylan Donahue-esque, though it will hurt much less at ILB than at EDGE.  With those little T-Rex arms it is no shock that he had a good bench.  I probably would have gone for Tre'Quan Smith there. Would have been considering Jaylen Samuels, but he went off the board earlier.  Quessenbery was sitting there with good numbers, so I took him.  Think I know who I am taking next.

11 minutes ago, Lith said:

Some picks you can just see coming from miles away.  @Paradis and Chase Edmonds.  @IndianaJet and Simmie Cobbs.

I tried to throw you off the trail by writing that I wasn't looking at WRs for the Chargers.

#smokescreen

But I think he's a great fit for the Chargers opposite Keenan Allen - he doesn't have breakaway speed, but has Brandon Marshall potential...only with better hands.

33 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Thanks for covering for me over the weekend.  I was/am woefully unprepared.  Jones is a solid prospect for me.  Tons of reach. I probably would not have selected Tegray Scales at all though.  He has no reach.  I am 5'9" and I have longer arms and bigger hands.  His arms are Dylan Donahue-esque, though it will hurt much less at ILB than at EDGE.  With those little T-Rex arms it is no shock that he had a good bench.  I probably would have gone for Tre'Quan Smith there. Would have been considering Jaylen Samuels, but he went off the board earlier.  Quessenbery was sitting there with good numbers, so I took him.  Think I know who I am taking next.

Glad to help and thanks for letting us know in advance to keep things moving.

Sorry you don't like the Scales pick.  When I am picking for someone, I try to stay pretty close to the consensus board in the spreadsheet and take player projected to go around or earlier than the pick who fills a need.  Scales was ranked 114 -- and selected at 118.  I think it was one of the other mods who made the Scales pick, so I can't speak to the thought process for that specific pick, but I think we all have a similar approach.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

Glad to help and thanks for letting us know in advance to keep things moving.

Sorry you don't like the Scales pick.  When I am picking for someone, I try to stay pretty close to the consensus board in the spreadsheet and take player projected to go around or earlier than the pick who fills a need.  Scales was ranked 114 -- and selected at 118.  I think it was one of the other mods who made the Scales pick, so I can't speak to the thought process for that specific pick, but I think we all have a similar approach.

He is probably a fine pick and it is a fairly late round.  I have just been a wingspan whore lately.  He also probably fits a need for the Ravens, but I really wanted to get them more offense and particularly playmakers.  Instead, I drafted defense and added an interior lineman to the OT you guys picked for me.  I hope I do well in free agency!

22 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

I tried to throw you off the trail by writing that I wasn't looking at WRs for the Chargers.

#smokescreen

But I think he's a great fit for the Chargers opposite Keenan Allen - he doesn't have breakaway speed, but has Brandon Marshall potential...only with better hands.

I think he is a great pick -- especially mid 5th round.  Don't think the Chargers have much beyond Keenan Allen and Mike Williams -- and who knows what Williams will be.  Cobbs is a real nice addition.

And I got my WR in the 3rd - Michael Gallup.  Was not really interested in WR beyond that. 

Or is that another smokescreen???

27 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

#smokescreen

Where does he fit though? Allen, Williams, Williams, Benjamin...

1 minute ago, Lith said:

I think he is a great pick -- especially mid 5th round.  Don't think the Chargers have much beyond Keenan Allen and Mike Williams -- and who knows what Williams will be.  Cobbs is a real nice addition.

And I got my WR in the 3rd - Michael Gallup.  Was not really interested in WR beyond that. 

Or is that another smokescreen???

You don't think Tyrell Williams and Travis Benjamin count?? that;s like the best depth in the entire NFL

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

You don't think Tyrell Williams and Travis Benjamin count?? that;s like the best depth in the entire NFL

Forgot about Benjamin and did not realize Williams put up the kind of numbers he did.  More depth than I realized.

• Sympathy 1

Well I was targetting offense again in this round, particularly the line, but the OTs remaining on the board all seem like massive reaches, so instead I was looking at a C/G potentially a player with experience at both.  Had two left on my list with one all set to go until  @#27TheDominator took him a couple of picks above me.  Very annoying Dom!

The other guy who is similar, and actually graded a little higher in some places was Clapp, who has played well at both C and G at LSU doing a nice job for guys like Fournette and Guice.   Clapp will provide depth in the short term and can potentially become a starter. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Well I was targetting offense again in this round, particularly the line, but the OTs remaining on the board all seem like massive reaches, so instead I was looking at a C/G potentially a player with experience at both.  Had two left on my list with one all set to go until  @#27TheDominator took him a couple of picks above me.  Very annoying Dom!

The other guy who is similar, and actually graded a little higher in some places was Clapp, who has played well at both C and G at LSU doing a nice job for guys like Fournette and Guice.   Clapp will provide depth in the short term and can potentially become a starter. 

Well, even if my picks stink my draft is a success.  I have annoyed you!  It is the least I could do after all the hullabaloo you caused with that trade in round 1!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Well, even if my picks stink my draft is a success.  I have annoyed you!  It is the least I could do after all the hullabaloo you caused with that trade in round 1!

hullabaloo :cool:

a great word that is hardly used enough.  We are the NY Hullabaloos!!  

BTW, my hullabaloo -----> Sony Michel.  So you should be kissing my hullabaloo for all to see.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

Where does he fit though? Allen, Williams, Williams, Benjamin...

Tyrell Williams is a scrub.  Mike Williams is a huge question mark with awful hands.  Travis Benjamin is a slot receiver.  If Cobbs had DeShawn Watson throwing to him in college, he would have been a top 10 pick too.

6 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Tyrell Williams is a scrub.  Mike Williams is a huge question mark with awful hands.  Travis Benjamin is a slot receiver.  If Cobbs had DeShawn Watson throwing to him in college, he would have been a top 10 pick too.

i'm gonna go ahead and disagree. I've watched a lot of chargers football. More than you I would speculate based on my fantasy investments. Calling Tyrell a scrub is no. I'll agree Mike Williams rookie campaign left a lot to be desired, but benjamin does not run slot WR routes. like not even close... Without trying to sound like a prick, i don't think you know their receivers very well. 

Lith -- what's earlies draft like this you have filed away? 2012 or so? I'd be fun to compare our draft classes vs real ones 5 years removed and see successful we are. The first 3 rounds is... i mean, there's a lot of factors there, but it would interesting to see how many consistently picked good players in the 4-7th round.