"Look at Where Those Picks Were Made" Mccagnan's Beautiful Mind Speaks

Gangrene

Just now, Thai Jet said:

How can you say that?  They were both rookies. Neither played much last year. Let's see how they do this year. I like them both but especially Hansen.

Where they were drafted at, they should have been able to contribute more.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I think we should instead look at how we keep ending up with sh*tty GMs.

The only time they ever are “GM” is with the Jets, never before (successful ones cost a lot of money, just like real Head Coaches), and never after, lots of the time, once finally being fired by the Jets, they are actually OUT OF THE NFL in any capacity.

Think about it, people who were in the 2 most substantial positions on a pro team, not thought of enough by the rest of the league to even warrant a job anywhere.

Mr. Coffee and the Sphinx who knows what happens, strange enough that they still are in their jobs.

49 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

How can you say that?  They were both rookies. Neither played much last year. Let's see how they do this year. I like them both but especially Hansen.

This is such typical Jet fan reaction. On one hand they bitch that we don't have a capable QB but they expect 2 rookie WRs to shine. You can't have one (bad QBing) and expect rookie WRs to fly. Perfect example is EVERY WR that ever played with Tom Brady. 

Every single WR that did well in New England, their careers went right down the toilet after Belichick let them walk or traded them. Brady made a lot of money for these WRs that left in free agency, the QB, offense & experience matters.

7 hours ago, bitonti said:

everyone says this 0 chance that Jets do something other than they want in the draft  

uh you guys the Jets have made a living of doing something the fans don't want in the draft '

it's literally all that's ever happened for the last 20 years 

this year it's gonna be different? 

Christopher Johnson literally said the trade to 3 was Plan B after not signing Couisins. Macc concurred on that assessment.

How could it be Plan B if they don't draft a QB there?

Your contrarian take makes no sense in the context of what has actually transpired.

3 minutes ago, SMC said:

Christopher Johnson literally said the trade to 3 was Plan B after not signing Couisins. Macc concurred on that assessment.

How could it be Plan B if they don't draft a QB there?

Your contrarian take makes no sense in the context of what has actually transpired.

nothing has actually transpired there's been interviews. 

it makes sense if both Johnson and Macc are blowing smoke. 

Maybe they thought they could get Allen and Darnold at 3 but not going to be there. 

Plan B is a catch all term for giving McCown 10 mil, bringing in Bridgewater and whatever they do next. 

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Macc’s drafts have been bad and I’m being polite saying it that way.  

Just get me Allen or Rosen and I’ll forget about Devin Smith, Darron Lee, Mauldin, Jenkins, Ardarius Stewart, Hackenberg, Petty, and the great safety splurge of ‘17

So basically every single player he's selected? OK got it. LOL I'm not quite as hard. Williams should have broken out last year but Bowles misused him on the interior.

8 hours ago, bitonti said:

Mac is all about value

he wants to take a guy who should have gone higher 

Maybe Macc should wonder why these guys fell. There's been no value in Petty or Hack. I remember when Houston traded up in front of the Jets in the 2nd round during Hackenbergs year...even Bill O'Brien passed on Christian Hackenberg. 

When thinking of value and evaluating, how do you draft someone that is so bad that they can't even record a snap in the league while on a team that has Fitz, Petty and McCown as quarterbacks?

Macc has done a terrible job addressing this position.

7 hours ago, Pac said:

Two things are true.

- Macc gets way too much criticism for not drafting a franchise QB considering there haven't been any available when we've drafted.

- Macc better get this pick right or he's gone in 2 years.

From 2016, name the QBs available to the Rams at pick #15 and Eagles at pick #8. My memory is a little foggy, lol.

20 hours ago, Pac said:

in 3 years we can decide if Adams + whichever QB we get will be better than Mahomes or Watson.

I think it will be.

:rl: You can't be serious. Unless you're oblivious to the degree which you're grading Macc on a steep curve...

It is not Adams + this year's QB draft pick vs. Mahomes or Watson

It's Adams + this year's QB draft pick vs  Mahomes or Watson AND 

2018 2nd round pick AND

another 2018 2nd round pick AND

a 2019 2nd round pick AND 

purposely wasting/tanking an entire NFL season in 2017

Mac is all about value
he wants to take a guy who should have gone higher 
He loves to point at the mocks afterwards and crow about value - that's his favorite thing to do 
Applying it to the Jets, Allen and Darnold are two that "should go higher" 
Rosen and Mayfield, the Jets at 3 are their draft ceiling.  Rosen isn't going 1 or 2, Mayfield might not even go top 10 that's how much smoke there is on Mayfield 
I'm not saying they won't go QB.
but if they don't have a "value" prospect he could go in another direction (Chubb or Barkley) and that would be a typical Mac move.  Also keep in mind QB 3 doesn't help Mac keep his job unless he plays well and early. A Chubb or Barkley makes plays year 1. Mac is not looking at a 20 year plan he's doing everything to stay employed. 

He’s abandoning the value strategy as we have given up our second round picks. It’s time for offense and he knows it.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Just now, peebag said:

Both Stewart and Hanson disappointed.

I personally think Hansen had a good first year.  WR isn't an easy position to step right in and produce, but when you look at his catches (yes there were few of them) it seemed like they were always meaningful plays in the game.

He's got NFL level size and speed and definitely needed a year to learn to run routes, but he seemed to have a knack for finding open spots on the field which isn't something that is taught as much as its instinct.  I am looking forward to seeing his progress this season.

2 hours ago, Jetscreen said:

So basically every single player he's selected? OK got it. LOL I'm not quite as hard. Williams should have broken out last year but Bowles misused him on the interior.

Then Williams will soon want some massive contract which would be ok for a game changer, which he is not.

Idiotic to pick these DTs so high in the draft, because lots of the time they turn into a Haynesworth or Wilkerson by the 2nd huge money contract, and if they don’t, they’re really not worth it anyway.

Williams displaced and basically negated another #1 pick in Richardson.  So wouldn’t logic say that you’ve basically wasted a #1 pick?

But he was the Consenus “best player in the Draft”, the “SAFEST” pick Maccagnan could make, negating a prior 1st Rd pick be damned...Maccagnan’s thinking...”no one can criticize me, my job is still safe”...I really hope he isn’t deciding Pick#3 this year, I hope the rumors I’ve been reading that his authority has been busted down and the Heimerdinger kid is more in the mix, and the funny thing is is that I don’t even know if that’s a good thing haha, but I’ve more than seen enough of Maccagnan’s eye for “talent”.

8 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Then Williams will soon want some massive contract which would be ok for a game changer, which he is not.

Idiotic to pick these DTs so high in the draft, because lots of the time they turn into a Haynesworth or Wilkerson by the 2nd huge money contract, and if they don’t, they’re really not worth it anyway.

Williams displaced and basically negated another #1 pick in Richardson.  So wouldn’t logic say that you’ve basically wasted a #1 pick?

But he was the Consenus “best player in the Draft”, the “SAFEST” pick Maccagnan could make, negating a prior 1st Rd pick be damned...Maccagnan’s thinking...”no one can criticize me, my job is still safe”...I really hope he isn’t deciding Pick#3 this year, I hope the rumors I’ve been reading that his authority has been busted down and the Heimerdinger kid is more in the mix, and the funny thing is is that I don’t even know if that’s a good thing haha, but I’ve more than seen enough of Maccagnan’s eye for “talent”.

You'd appreciate this tidbit:

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

Jets daily draft nugget: Since 1996, the Jets have drafted 57 skill-position players on offense, and the only one to make a Pro Bowl in a Jets uniform is WR Keyshawn Johnson (No. 1 overall pick in 1996). Two picks, WR Santana Moss and WR Laveranues Coles, made the Pro Bowl with Washington. RB Leon Washington made it as a kick returner. (Note: A new nugget will be posted every day until the draft.)

13 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

:rl: You can't be serious. Unless you're oblivious to the degree which you're grading Macc on a steep curve...

It is not Adams + this year's QB draft pick vs. Mahomes or Watson

It's Adams + this year's QB draft pick vs. Mahomes or Watson AND

2018 2nd round pick AND

another 2018 2nd round pick AND

a 2019 2nd round pick AND 

purposely wasting/tanking an entire NFL season in 2017

Great post.  I wish EVERY Jet fan could read it.

I wouldn’t bet on Maccagnan in a game of checkers against a 5 year old.

Forget about “thinking outside the box”, the guy can’t see 3 feet in front of him, or what might be tomorrow.  A year from now? 2,3 years from now? Hahahaha

I don’t think he could make it to 3rd Steet if you stuck him on 1st and gave him a compass.

4 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

You'd appreciate this tidbit:

Jets daily draft nugget: Since 1996, the Jets have drafted 57 skill-position players on offense, and the only one to make a Pro Bowl in a Jets uniform is WR Keyshawn Johnson (No. 1 overall pick in 1996). Two picks, WR Santana Moss and WR Laveranues Coles, made the Pro Bowl with Washington. RB Leon Washington made it as a kick returner. (Note: A new nugget will be posted every day until the draft.)

Wow, thanks, Holy God hahaha...go down to the Bowery, Skid Row, and have a guy close his eyes and have him pick from a sheet of players...he’d do better.  Right?  Of course.

But if you think a little deep, after you put to the side that Sadists run the Jets, no one could be this bad at running a team, and they have fun inflicting pain on the dwindling amount of fans that are left, you come to the conclusion that the real problem with the Jets is that they refuse to hire competent people in the Front Office or down on the field, they play it on the cheap, and that’s not surprising because they had an accountant, Gutman, making the highest level decisions for years.  Belichick supposedly hated him.  One of the reasons for the napkin note.

So you wind up with a Maccagnan, who is not a real GM, you wind up with a Bowles, not a real head coach, you wind up with an Idzik.  You wind up with a Tannenbaum (who I respect in one aspect, he had guts to really try to put them over the top but as a lawyer/accountant he shouldn’t have been making personnel decisions)....but when you pay a Bill Parcells you almost get to the Super Bowl 2 Years removed from 1-15.

The Jets, right now, are back to being a “Mom & Pop” shop.  A team loaded with INCOMPETENT people in decision making functions.  And the one thing they specialize in, the one and ONLY thing they are “good” at is practicing CYA to save their jobs and glom some extra fat paychecks that they don’t deserve.

Jeez...back to this environment, it virtually NEVER ends with this team.

So you should never really get upset at the results of this team, because they’re almost ALWAYS playing with a Handicap.

How can they measure up to Organizations that are run like Pittsburgh or New England?  They can’t, it’s actually unfair, so the results down on the field should NEVER surprise.

18 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

After two QB mistakes, Jets GM has chance to right his legacy

by

ss_20160925_212118050_622825.jpg

Mike Maccagnan is a cool customer. For a guy who drinks 10 cups of coffee a day (no exaggeration), he never seems jittery or rattled. It takes a lot to get a rise out of him, which is why it's noteworthy he displayed a hint of defiance last week when questioned about his sketchy history of drafting quarterbacks -- a hot-button issue in the current landscape.

The New York Jets general manager defended himself by reminding reporters that Bryce Petty was a fourth-round pick (2015) and Christian Hackenberg was a "late" second-rounder (2016). It was his way of saying, "Hey, guys, gimme a break, it's not like I blew a first-round pick." No, he didn't, but Hackenberg was such a colossal miss -- he still hasn't played in a game -- that some folks are wondering if Maccagnan will get it right on April 26.

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2017%2F1118%2Fr291088_1

Jets GM Mike Maccagnan says he isn't fazed by criticism of his past quarterback picks and is confident he'll hit in 2018. Brad Penner/USA TODAY Sports

"It doesn’t faze me," Maccagnan said of the criticism. "It’s the college draft. [There are] guys you'll hit on and guys who don’t pan out. That’s part of the process. We feel pretty confident with this year’s group and where we're situated."

The Jets are picking third and, barring the draft upset of the decade, they will select a quarterback from the group of Josh Allen, Sam Darnold, Baker Mayfield and Josh Rosen. It'll be a franchise-altering decision for the Jets and a legacy-defining choice for Maccagnan, a college economics major (@bitonti 's "Value" argument)-turned-scout who found the big chair in 2015. He will attempt to solve The Quarterback Riddle, which has flummoxed this star-crossed franchise for decades.

They've tried everything.

:(They've rummaged through the recycle bin (Josh McCown and Ryan Fitzpatrick), they've tried their luck in the second round (Hackenberg and Geno Smith) and they've rented a hired gun (Brett Favre). Their last first-round pick was Mark Sanchez in 2009, and that was working for a couple of years -- until it wasn't.:(

After failing to secure the only quick fix in the 2018 market -- Kirk Cousins said no -- Maccagnan went back to his days as an economics student. He took some of his best assets (three second-round picks, including one in 2019) and sold them off for a chance to score with a potential high-yield investment -- easily the boldest move of his tenure.

The blockbuster trade with the Indianapolis Colts, which allowed the Jets to climb three spots in the draft order, carries considerable risk. It's an all-in move that will leave Maccagnan out of a job in a couple of years if it backfires.

"I don’t like necessarily giving up the picks, per se, to move up," said Maccagnan, adding he did it because it's a chance to "potentially help yourself in the bigger scheme of things."

ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. called it "a hefty price to pay," saying the Jets essentially gave up three potential starters -- the draft picks that went to the Colts -- to select perhaps the third-best quarterback. In that context, yeah, it doesn't look like a sound move, but no one will remember the compensation if the quarterback develops into a long-term solution.

It's a calculated gamble, but you know what? You can't sit back, passively, and wait for the next Tom Brady in the sixth round. You can't win a Lombardi Trophy by playing it by the book. To quote Tom Cruise in "Risky Business," sometimes you just have to say ... well, you know ("What the Füçk" is the quote).

"We do think there are some very good quarterback prospects in this class," Maccagnan said. "They all have different strengths and maybe some different areas of concern or weakness. That’s one of the reasons why I've been to all these pro days, because there are some real viable guys there that you think may be good additions if they fall to us in the right spot."

The question is, can Maccagnan learn from his past quarterback mistakes?

With Hackenberg, Maccagnan relied too much on projection. The GM saw the big arm and projected what Hackenberg could be, not what he was -- an inaccurate passer with questionable instincts.

Will that effect the way he evaluates Allen, who has a tremendous amount of raw, physical talent but is considered boom or bust?

With Petty, Maccagnan bet on a player from a spread system, figuring he'd need a year or two to make the transition to a pro-style offense. It hasn't happened for Petty, who is 1-6 as a starter.

Will Maccagnan downgrade Mayfield because he played in a spread at Oklahoma?

Hey, no one said this will be an easy decision. History says two of the top four quarterbacks will be NFL disappointments. Maccagnan put himself in the batter's box and gets another swing. Maybe the third time will be the charm.

Well that about sums it up. 100% QB at 3

18 hours ago, dbatesman said:

He’s right. I mean, what, we’re expecting a GM to know which players will be good and which players will be bad before they get drafted? Seems unreasonable to me

You can't blame the GM if the chalk pick doesn't work out, but you can blame him if a surprise pick doesn't (Hackenburg). And a good GM has to make a surprise pick every now and then. If he doesn't, why in the world would you need him? You could just select whoever Mel kiper says is a good pick when you are on the clock.

Like I posted already, he MUST hit on QB this draft and quite frankly I'm happy about it? The Jets cannot be the organization constantly giving second chances? Mac already tried making the Jets contenders via free agency and it was a flat out failure in every aspect. If he gets fired because he missed on getting the Jets a QB yet again, everyone should know he went down swinging and I'm fine with that. At least he had the balls to go all in? Honestly, up until this trade up, I honestly never thought he'd pull a stunt like this?

23 hours ago, Gangrene said:

Maccagnan added that one has to “look at where the picks were made” when considering Petty and Hackenberg’s failure to pan out. 

What an ***hole.

Macc certainly considered Hackenberg's round 2 price tag high enough to make him the only QB he'd invest drafting for two back-to-back seasons, as it also colored his measures otherwise taken:

• he didn't double-dip on a 2nd prospect in 2016; 
  • followed by a 1 year deal with Fitz; 
  • followed by 1 year deal with McCown;
  • followed by drafting nobody or acquiring any other QB under 38 years old for 2017.

That's just as much time investment as any GM would give to a QB drafted #1 overall (with Hackenberg's same NFL performance of being incapable of leapfrogging either Geno Smith or Bryce Petty, never mind NFL afterthoughts like Fitz or McCown). 

The ability to draft Hackenberg after round 1 was the "ace in the hole" he surely figured he had, and therefore factored in his turning down the opportunity to move up to #1 that year. He knew - as everyone knew - he wanted to draft a serious QB in 2016. Even he and Fitz's biggest fans knew Fitz was a short-term stopgap at best, and not the guy you'd ride into his late 30s. So Macc was looking for the Jets' future starting QB in the draft in April 2016.

The only QB he drafted for 2 years was Christian Hackenberg. Then we watched two wasted seasons in 2016 and 2017, reading planted, fluffy nonsense about Hackenberg's development and improvement and the measures he'd taken to become a starting FQB. Meanwhile he couldn't even leapfrog the 3rd-string level Petty. 

Still can't believe this coffee-breath, coffee-fart clown could say this to the fans with a straight face. Again, what an ***hole. What a cowardly ****ing ***hole to invest 2 seasons/drafts worth of QB opportunities in favor of Christian Hackenberg, and then have the temerity to insinuate it didn't really count if the guy(s) he believed in weren't drafted in round 1.

The only reason Macc didn't take Hackenberg in round 1 is he reasonably calculated he'd definitely be available in round 2 (and figured he'd probably be there in round 3). Houston leapfrogging us in round 2 - for a center, because even they couldn't believe we'd take Hackenberg there - spooked Macc into pouncing on Hackenberg earlier, since Hackenberg was clearly his backup plan after failing to move on a QB in round 1. 

A team with no starting QB on the roster - at the time he had only Geno and Petty - doesn't draft one in round 2 (after sitting on his hands in turning down opportunities in round 1) unless the GM truly believes that guy's going to be the team's starting QB. 

It obviously speaks to his judgment, so it's cowardly and obnoxious for this douche to hide behind a pick's slot number two years later. Especially when he had a clear opportunity for far better several times during his tenure here (Cousins, Goff, Wentz, Dak, Mahomes, Watson, and you can probably throw in Keenum and Foles since a good number of people would be cupping and fellating his sac if he'd merely picked up either of the latter two.

The balls on this guy. 

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Still can't believe this coffee-breath, coffee-fart clown could say this to the fans with a straight face. Again, what an ***hole. What a cowardly ****ing ***hole to invest 2 seasons/drafts worth of QB opportunities in favor of Christian Hackenberg, and then have the temerity to insinuate it didn't really count if the guy(s) he believed in weren't drafted in round 1.

The only reason Macc didn't take Hackenberg in round 1 is he reasonably calculated he'd definitely be available in round 2 (and figured he'd probably be there in round 3). Houston leapfrogging us in round 2 - for a center, because even they couldn't believe we'd take Hackenberg there - spooked Macc into pouncing on Hackenberg earlier, since Hackenberg was clearly his backup plan after failing to move on a QB in round 1. 

A team with no starting QB on the roster - at the time he had only Geno and Petty - doesn't draft one in round 2 (after sitting on his hands in turning down opportunities in round 1) unless the GM truly believes that guy's going to be the team's starting QB. 

So it obviously speaks to his judgment, so it's cowardly and obnoxious for this douche to hide behind a pick's slot number two years later. Especially when he had a clear opportunity for far better several times during his tenure here (Cousins, Goff, Wentz, Dak, Mahomes, Watson, and you can probably throw in Keenum and Foles since a good number of people would be cupping and fellating his sac if he'd merely picked up either of the latter two.

The balls on this guy. 

I’ve been saying basically the same thing for a long time.

It’s obvious that Maccagnan is way more about protecting his job and doing anything he can to avoid criticism than he is about turning this team into a winner, which requires intelligent and bold moves, like all winning organizations.

The Hackenberg pick was about 2 things.  First he’d look like genius if he hit the pick, but if not, he’d have a built in excuse as the pick “was only in the 2nd Rd”.  The guy knows if you’re a GM not named John Elway and you whiff in the 1st Rd your job is in great jeopardy.  

He didn’t have the guts to draft Mahomes or Watson last year, and now there are 3 2’s gone, actually 2 2’s and 1 since that was Richardson.

His move up to 3 this year with the trade is that he knows his back is to the wall at this point, total self preservation.

Just say a prayer that the Jets luck into a Franchise QB this year, because that’s what it’ll have to be PURE LUCK.

Guy is a totally incompetent.  Does he know there is something called an Oline?  Rookie QBs need that.

3 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

I’ve been saying basically the same thing for a long time.

It’s obvious that Maccagnan is way more about protecting his job and doing anything he can to avoid criticism than he is about turning this team into a winner, which requires intelligent and bold moves, like all winning organizations.

The Hackenberg pick was about 2 things.  First he’d look like genius if he hit the pick, but if not, he’d have a built in excuse as the pick “was only in the 2nd Rd”.  The guy knows if you’re a GM not named John Elway and you whiff in the 1st Rd your job is in great jeopardy.  

He didn’t have the guts to draft Mahomes or Watson last year, and now there are 3 2’s gone, actually 2 2’s and 1 since that was Richardson.

His move up to 3 this year with the trade is that he knows his back is to the wall at this point, total self preservation.

Just say a prayer that the Jets luck into a Franchise QB this year, because that’s what it’ll have to be PURE LUCK.

Guy is a totally incompetent.  Does he know there is something called an Oline?  Rookie QBs need that.

Totally. The only downside - and I'll take it if it happens - is that if the QB that falls to him is a keeper, then we also end up keeping Maccagnan.

I'll still take it 100x out of 100 because a QB's career is long enough that winning-results with that QB will be expected. Macc won't be able to keep his job indefinitely, though he'd probably get to scapegoat Bowles and survive a few more years, but it won't - and shouldn't - last too long just due to hitting on a plan that seems to have been devised by Woody and/or Chris Johnson anyway. After that, we'll still have many solid years left to build around that QB.

As much as it's a release to vent about this boob, I'd find much more enjoyment watching the Jets as true contenders, winning more than the occasional game against the NFL's better teams, and I'd for sure enjoy a SB still more. We all would.

Hopefully Cleveland and the Giants leave us a great one. 

58 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Totally. The only downside - and I'll take it if it happens - is that if the QB that falls to him is a keeper, then we also end up keeping Maccagnan.

I'll still take it 100x out of 100 because a QB's career is long enough that winning-results with that QB will be expected. Macc won't be able to keep his job indefinitely, though he'd probably get to scapegoat Bowles and survive a few more years, but it won't - and shouldn't - last too long just due to hitting on a plan that seems to have been devised by Woody and/or Chris Johnson anyway. After that, we'll still have many solid years left to build around that QB.

As much as it's a release to vent about this boob, I'd find much more enjoyment watching the Jets as true contenders, winning more than the occasional game against the NFL's better teams, and I'd for sure enjoy a SB still more. We all would.

Hopefully Cleveland and the Giants leave us a great one. 

Totally agree with everything you said.

And for anyone who can’t see how gutless and selfish this “GM” is, just look at a few days ago, chasing a malcontent like Suh, on the wrong side of 30, and having already stolen tons of Mike Tannenbaum’s boss’ money down in Miami.  One thing I like though, is that it appears Chris Johnson is hip to Maccagnan/Bowles game.

Hey Maccagnan, what would he have done for the Jets this year, eek out maybe 1 more win, for the Brinks truck you’re going to pay him with?  You’re not going to the playoffs anyway, not with the idiot coach you have NO CONTROL of down on the field anyway.  That 1 extra win would make both of your resumes look a little better though.  

I’m proud of myself, per this article Maccagnan just said the words verbatim that I knew was his fallback plan for 2 YEARS, and I wrote them on this site.

”Hey guys it was only a #2”.....not only is he incompetent but those words prove he’s nothing but a selfish schemer, protecting his job is paramount to everything else.  I couldn’t say that if he had drafted Mahomes or Watson in the 1st last year, but again if he did that and the one he picks busts, he knows that’s the end of his job, much easier to go with the Consenus “best player in the draft” and insulate yourself from any criticism.  Box Safety’s with big mouths are way more important than Franchise QBs, right?

This year the drafting of a QB was the ONLY move left for Maccagnan, his back is to the wall, so please spare me the, “gutsy, bold move” garbage that some Jet fans have been conned into.

The worst part as you mentioned is that it’s a real double edged sword.  The QB performs, the team is still stuck with this guy.  But like you said, much easier if there is a QB to watch.

Jets daily draft nugget: Mike Maccagnan has made 22 draft selections since becoming the GM. Of the 22, only one player no longer is with the team — G Jarvis Harrison, a fifth-round pick from Texas A&M in 2015. The three drafts have netted six starters — Leo Williams, Darron Lee, Jordan Jenkins, Marcus Maye and Jamal Adams on defense and Brandon Shell on offense.

On 4/2/2018 at 11:03 AM, UnitedWhofans said:

As a Macc supporter, even I have to call this out a bit.

Hackenberg should not have even been a thought in the second round

you are missing the big picture. MAC is about tradition.  He felt compelled to carry out  the tradition of shilty second round picks that will never sniff the field.

24 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Jets daily draft nugget: Mike Maccagnan has made 22 draft selections since becoming the GM. Of the 22, only one player no longer is with the team — G Jarvis Harrison, a fifth-round pick from Texas A&M in 2015. The three drafts have netted six starters — Leo Williams, Darron Lee, Jordan Jenkins, Marcus Maye and Jamal Adams on defense and Brandon Shell on offense.

21 players and 6 starters?  Let's see how many drafted players remain after the draft and the final roster is set.  That list includes guys like Hack and Donahue who have no business being on the team.

In his defense, I do think that Mac had a plan when he picked Hack, and it was not a terrible plan.  Mac caught lightening in a bottle with Fitz, and he would extend Fitz, have the Jets be competitive and entertaining while Hack was developed.  Many things went wrong, as we know, but Mac thought that Hack was "good value" with high upside/low downside.  Flushing a 2nd round pick down the toilet is not low downside, but that is how Mac looked at it given the upside for a QB.

But for me the 2 big takeaways are:

• He drafted Hack with no real plan with the coaches, who have changed every year, to develop him, or to fit him to a system or vice versa.  Hack is neither a Spread nor WCO QB, even when he is good.  He is a pro style QB.  
  • Mac focuses too much on value and not on achieving a result.  Its like he approaches every player as an individual value trade, as opposed to building a team that wins.  And then for some reason he overpays through the nose for a too old corner, like he did with Revis and no with Johnson-he either wins the bidding by a mile or loses.  
    • Looking at the Jets today, I would think having a lock down center and someone to rush the passer would be good, yet he signs 2 lesser Centers instead of Richburg/Jensen and lets Ealy go.  Ealy is not perfect, but is the only player they have who can actually do something from the EDGE.

Archived