Day-3 (Rounds 4-7)

Greenseed4

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Villain The Foe said:

and yet Kelvin beachum is a 7th round pick and our starting LT and Brandon Shell is a 5th round pick and our starting RT. 

Making a general stupid statement as Joewilly did saying "NO late round Olineman will be better than what we currently have" is in fact stupid. #1 because he's assuming that and #2. Three of our starting Olineman are 3rd round, 5th round and 7th round picks. 

This is true. Maybe. Maybe. The OL play suffered due to Morton and OL coaching. 

Maybe Dennison has come in and taken a look at what the Jets have and thinks he can work with it

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

maybe you're a dick.

No one seems to understand why he slid far. And "slid" has been used, profusely. 

Maybe it's bc he gets manhandled against man coverage or that he is a bad route runner.  Or that he has weak hands and he's a body catcher which nullifies his height. So basically he's tall and fast but is not anything more than a 4th WR in the NFL. 

4 minutes ago, C Mart said:

This is true. Maybe. Maybe. The OL play suffered due to Morton and OL coaching. 

Maybe Dennison has come in and taken a look at what the Jets have and thinks he can work with it

Well, does he have a choice? It's not like we've provided much to it. This is a Front office that says one thing and does another. They say that they need to address and fix the QB position yet all they do is invest in the defensive line and the defensive secondary, sign veteran QB's, call them Bridge QB's yet those are the only QB's who play, and never provide help at the Oline position to assist with the offensive attack both passing and running. 

This Front office should be ******* fired because even with picking Sam Darnold, they STILL CONTINUE to show that they have no f'ing clue about how to actually deal with the position. 

The saddest part? Sam Darnold was compared to Andrew Luck, and he may end up having a career like Luck because the Colts is another team that completely disregarded the Oline position to the point where Luck got destroyed. 

27 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

What's the point at spending picks on Dline when Bowles couldn't get a line full of #1's to work. 

Because guys like Shepherd and Fatukasi stand a great chance at seeing immediate playing time and perhaps making an impact.

The odds of some 5th/6th/7th round OL coming in and supplanting any of Beachum, Carpenter, Long, Winters or even Shell as a starter as a rookie or even a 2nd year player are very, very slim.

6 minutes ago, Paradis said:

i love it when a$$holes who've been entirely absent amid the draft threads and prospect discussions, show up on draft day and ridicule the people who are really into this thing... like it's any fcking different that watching a game and getting mad at the coaching staff, or criticising team management elsewhere.

I was really into Pogs once. Then I realized I wasn't good at Pogs.

BTW, great job on your mock draft

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

and yet Kelvin beachum is a 7th round pick and our starting LT and Brandon Shell is a 5th round pick and our starting RT. 

Making a general stupid statement as Joewilly did saying "NO late round Olineman will be better than what we currently have" is in fact stupid. #1 because he's assuming that and #2. Three of our starting Olineman are 3rd round, 5th round and 7th round picks. We need depth. 

Here’s another point: teams in free agency were picking up 3-4 DLs for pennies all offseason and tripping all over each other to give guards and tackles $10 mil plus per year long term deals. 

4 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Maybe it's bc he gets manhandled against man coverage or that he is a bad route runner.  Or that he has weak hands and he's a body catcher which nullifies his height. So basically he's tall and fast but is not anything more than a 4th WR in the NFL. 

look who's the amateur scout now.

Just now, Untouchable said:

Because guys like Shepherd and Fatukasi stand a great chance and seeing immediate playing time and perhaps making an impact.

The odds of some 5th/6th/7th round OL coming in and supplanting any of Beachum, Carpenter, Long, Winters or even Shell as a starter are very, very slim.

I don't care if they don't start right away, Olines need depth a injury to any starter there presents a problem . On the Dline there are enough of guys there to plug in , if they got a pure pass rusher its a diffferent story.

4 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I don't care if they don't start right away, Olines need depth a injury to any starter there presents a problem . On the Dline there are enough of guys there to plug in , if they got a pure pass rusher its a diffferent story.

The Jets already went out and re-signed guys like Ijalana, Dozier, and Harrison in addition to bringing in Travis Swanson from Detroit to back up Spencer Long.

They have their OL depth 

And as I said, the odds of some rookie 6th round pick overtaking one of our starters is pretty damn low.

The OL and finding a passrusher will be high priorities next year.

2 hours ago, Butterfield said:

I don’t understamd all the complaining.  They used most of their resources to go get a qb, and are just taking the best available player at this point.  You have to late in the draft.  

Yes OL is that important that teams reach a bit for them in 2nd and 3rd rounds. It makes no sense to take “ best player available “ when best player available after 1st round is ALWAYS DLineman. Because teams who actually win, realize the importance of drafting OL

6 minutes ago, Paradis said:

i love it when a$$holes who've been entirely absent amid the draft threads and prospect discussions, show up on draft day and ridicule the people who are really into this thing... like it's any fcking different that watching a game and getting mad at the coaching staff, or criticising team management elsewhere.

I'm into the draft and I did my own research on guys but I just don't have time to spend all day interacting on here. I'm only commenting bc you and others act like you know more about scouting and these players than actual professional scouts. The same scouts who have spent 1000's of hours on these prospects. Watching film, meeting them, meeting their family's, their friends, their professors, etc. Yet bc you watch an all-22, college football and read a scouting magazine you think you know more? That's effing laughable. And you got guys on here believing the nonsense that you're typing as well which in turn creates an uproar when "your" guys don't get selected. When the truth is they're not being selected for reasons you're not experienced enough to realize bc you haven't done enough to actually know what you're talking about. Those are facts.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Here’s another point: teams in free agency were picking up 3-4 DLs for pennies all offseason and tripping all over each other to give guards and tackles $10 mil plus per year long term deals. 

Nate Solder was the prettiest whore on the market, but when it comes to good OL guys, he was far from alone. Inexpicably Mike Maccagnan did not go crazy enough signing really 1 center, which was good, but not enough. DL run stoppers come on the market every year, pass rushers almost never. So unless you pick up a primo edge guy, it's a really fungible slot. Leonard Williams is a very good DL guy but he's no great edge rusher. But for Leo having been taken in the first by this GM objectively resigning him to a 2nd contract would be a hard decision. So at a loss why you go hog wild trading for Anderson and picking all these JAG DL guys while picking no OL guys. It made no sense. 

1 minute ago, Bugg said:

Nate Solder was the prettiest whore on the market, but when it comes to good OL guys, he was far from alone. Inexpicably Mike Maccagnan did not go crazy enough signing really 1 center, which was good, but not enough. DL run stoppers come on the market every year, pass rushers almost never. So unless you pick up a primo edge guy, it's a really fungible slot. Leonard Williams is a very good DL guy but he's no great edge rusher. But for Leo having been taken in the first by this GM objectively resigning him to a 2nd contract would be a hard decision. So at a loss why you go hog wild trading for Anderson and picking all these JAG DL guys while picking no OL guys. It made no sense. 

Just curious who is the One OL guy that we missed That has you so up arms?

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

meanwhile, the Jets seem to sign the "best CB" in free agency every offseason because that's always the pressing need. You know what's so sad Tom? 

To see Jets fans call the Giants "Dumb" for passing on Sam, which on the surface I can understand the statement, but imagine watching Lauletta become a franchise QB because the Giants Front Office signed Nate Solder in Free Agency, drafted the best RB in the draft, drafted Guard Will Hernandez in the 2nd, and sat Lauletta for a year to develop. 

Lauletta would have a much better situation taking over the Giants next year than Sam Darnold would taking over the Jets next year just from the Oline/RB situation...not even talking about the targets. 

I really think Macc is a jackass. How do you not protect your quarterbacks?

2 minutes ago, choon328 said:

I'm into the draft and I did my own research on guys but I just don't have time to spend all day interacting on here. I'm only commenting bc you and others act like you know more about scouting and these players than actual professional scouts. The same scouts who have spent 1000's of hours on these prospects. Watching film, meeting them, meeting their family's, their friends, their professors, etc. Yet bc you watch an all-22, college football and read a scouting magazine you think you know more? That's effing laughable. And you got guys on here believing the nonsense that you're typing as well which in turn creates an uproar when "your" guys don't get selected. When the truth is they're not being selected for reasons you're not experienced enough to realize bc you haven't done enough to actually know what you're talking about. Those are facts.

Analytics is important. But the scouts are at the games, talking to coaches, watching prep camps, practices, drills. On top of that, teams subscribe to scouting services. And no matter how much data you might collect it's not close to the same. And a GM and front office has to take all that and collate it into a useable plan. That is a lot of resources. Objectively think it's crazy to neglect the OL like this,and don't think the FO and CS have done anything to dissuade me from that opinion. But under no illusion I know more than Maccagnan. 

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

meanwhile, the Jets seem to sign the "best CB" in free agency every offseason because that's always the pressing need. You know what's so sad Tom? 

To see Jets fans call the Giants "Dumb" for passing on Sam, which on the surface I can understand the statement, but imagine watching Lauletta become a franchise QB because the Giants Front Office signed Nate Solder in Free Agency, drafted the best RB in the draft, drafted Guard Will Hernandez in the 2nd, and sat Lauletta for a year to develop. 

Lauletta would have a much better situation taking over the Giants next year than Sam Darnold would taking over the Jets next year just from the Oline/RB situation...not even talking about the targets. 

I really think Macc is a jackass. How do you not protect your quarterbacks?

Darnold is almost certainly a better prospect than Lauletta. But this is all could happen.

1 minute ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I had to google Pogs.

Apparently it was really popular, yet I never even knew it existed.

I always thought that i could find the best Pogs, and that I had the greatest system to compile the greatest collection.

Then, along came my friend Tommy Lane. Tommy was known in the neighborhood, what we will politely call a troublemaker. He always thought he could talk more fancy, and criticize others in their Pog collections. He claimed to have a magical system, and would mock others that did not follow what came to be known as the Tom Lane way.

Totally turned me off to Pogs

We may be fans, but we are pretty educated.  Last year we watched the Jets trade down, pass up Elflein and Hunt and end up with guys who may not be good, and start Wes Johnson at Center thinking it was going to work.  So to assume that "Mac has it all under control," even if he scored Darnold, it not necessary correct.

My biggest beef at this point is that the Jets probably should have been more aggressive on the OL in FA.  

They are building the team up gradually their way, which is fine.  But if I were the Johnsons, I would tell them to get rid of the expensive older veterans with only a year on their contracts-Skrine, McClendon, for examples-because next year is not the year.  Play McCown, Teddy/Hack and let Darnold learn and strength train.  Plan to roll Darnold out in 2019.  In FA/2019 draft (no second round pick), they get OL and EDGE.

Goal in 2019 should be playoffs.  

3 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Darnold is almost certainly a better prospect than Lauletta. But this is all could happen.

Darnold IS certainly a better prospect. However, Darnold can only maximise his potential based on that offensive line. We dont have to go any further than Andrew Luck. Lauletta may not be the better prospect on an individual comparison, but in regards to giving him the best opportunity to succeed....Lauletta is already winning that comparison. 

9 minutes ago, choon328 said:

dude, I'm nearly 40. You think i'm under some kind illusion that i'm outsmarting people who get paid to do this? We, the fans have zero exposure to the people who actually know/work/train/coach these kids. We're not even part of the most important part of the evaluation... sitting down on working the whiteboard with them. I get it. Everyone here gets it.... still doesn't stop people from having passionate opinions. Paxton Lynch looked the part 7 ways to sunday, but can't process the defense and can't follow the dots in the film room. These are things we don't get to know...

With that said, the part you're wrong about it, is paralysis by analysis. It happens, even in the NFL. It's how you get "made and paid" scouts thinking Antonio Brown was a special teamer worth a 5-7th round pick -- but when you watched the Central Michigan games, its obvious (to me) that he was more.

Its not a perfect science. Not for them, not for us.... but it's fun. (unless you're a jets fan)

3 minutes ago, Bugg said:

So having 9 guys for 3 or 4 DL spots is a priority over protecting your franchise QB? 

This doesn’t answer my question at all .. I was really trying to see if you had some substance behind the complaining . But you can’t even name a player that would of been better pick that the guys they chose . 

Archived