Jets UDFA Thread

Maxman

Flowers.jpg

With the NFL draft all wrapped up, the Jets have reportedly begun adding undrafted free agents according to multiple reports.  Keep in mind, these deals and agreements sometimes fall through at the last minute, so until it comes from the team, it’s not official.  With that in mind, here are the players the Jets have reportedly agreed to terms with on deals or invited to rookie mini camp.

FB Dimitri Flowers, Oklahoma: Viewed by many as the top fullback in this class.  A projected fifth round pick by NFL.com Flowers has a legitimate shot to stick with Gang Green.

WR Deontay Burnett, USC: A slot receiver who gives Sam Darnold a familiar face to work with early on, Burnett is a long shot to stick on a roster that’s currently loaded at the WR position.

OL Austin Golson, Auburn: Versatile but athletically limited, Golson didn’t earn very high mars from NFL.com who gave him an undrafted free agent projection.

LB Tre Williams, Auburn: Unlikely to compete for much more than a spot on special teams at this point, Williams racked up 280 tackles but just 3.5 sacks in his time at Auburn.

OL Darius James, Auburn: A trifecta of Auburn players, James played both left and right tackle at Auburn during the 2016 and 2017 seasons.  Could be a candidate to move inside.

K Canon Rooker, Middle Tennessee: Without an established kicker on the roster, the Jets were bound to add one as an undrafted free agent.  Rooker made 83.3% of his kicks in college with a career long of 51 yards.

Edge Frankie Luvu, Washington State: Luvu logged 6.5 sacks coming off the edge for Washington state in his final season.

RB Ryan Green, FSU: Green joins a running back room that has a lot of bodies, but few players etched in stone to be on the roster when training camp beings.  Green has been clocked in the low 4.4’s who was used sparingly as FSU where he averaged just over 6 yards per carry on 63 career attempts.

DL Nifae Lealao, Vanderbilt: A long shot to stick given the Jets moves over the past few days that have re-built their defensive line..

OL Dakoda Shepley, University of British Columbia: The Detroit native played his college football in Canada where he was plugged in at right tackle.

RB Vic Enwere, Cal: A load to bring down at 6′ 245, Enwere is likely to get  a look at FB.

DL Mychealon Thomas, Texas Tech: Thomas moves much better than you would expect from a 320 defensive who does a good job of keeping his eyes in the backfield.  Worth keeping an eye on as a developmental practice squad possibility.

OLB Darrian Bass, Missouri Western: Bass logged 56 tackles to go along with 7.5 sacks and 3 forced fumbles at Missouri Western.

SS Tyrice Beverette, Stony Brook: Not signed as an UDFA, Beverette has been invited to rookie camp with a chance to win a shot at a deal according to Calvin Watkins of Newsday.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
DWe_Q7uLw9Y

Click here to read the full story...

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Luvu and Flowes looks like steals.

The WCO loves pass catching Fullbacks, both dropped because of poor 40 times at the combine, they both ran in the 4.8's. Some times the clock does not reflect the game speed.

Flowers feels like he would have been picked in the 7th had the jets still had a pick.   Outstanding signing.   Might remind us of Richie Anderson back in the day

http://draftanalyst.com/vic-enwere

VIC ENWERE

California

Bio: 
Reserve running back who rushed 101 times for 377 yards and five touchdowns in 2017. Carried 61 times for 336 yards and two TDs as a junior before suffering a season-ending broken foot. Led Cal with 106 carries and eight rushing TDs while adding 505 yards on the ground in 2015. Rushed 34 times for 193 yards and two scores as a true freshman.
Pos: 
Hard-charging downhill ball carrier who picks up difficult yardage. Displays good vision, keeps his feet moving and rarely gets taken down by the first defender. Drives his shoulders through defenders and picks up a lot of yardage off initial contact. Finds running lanes and consistently runs north and south.
Neg: 
Not a creative ball carrier who improvises if things break down. Loses momentum when he changes direction and alters his angle of attack. Marginal pass catcher out of the backfield.
Analysis: 
Enwere possesses the skills and the ability to line up as a west coast fullback if he improves his pass-catching skills.

22 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

So with Flowers and Enwere signing it appears the fullback is going to be a bit of a factor in the offense.  I like that.  

I like Flowers a lot.  Think he will be great in the West Coast offense -- can be a nice weapon out of the backfield as well -- he made a few really nice play against us in the passing game in the Rose Bowl.  Would be nice to have that weapon on our team.  Looks like training camp competition between Flowere-Enwere and Lawrence Thomas.

17 minutes ago, Lith said:

I like Flowers a lot.  Think he will be great in the West Coast offense -- can be a nice weapon out of the backfield as well -- he made a few really nice play against us in the passing game in the Rose Bowl.  Would be nice to have that weapon on our team.  Looks like training camp competition between Flowere-Enwere and Lawrence Thomas.

Agreed.  I have always liked having a FB who can catch the ball, it’s a great dump off option for a young QB.  

5 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Luvu and Flowes looks like steals.

The WCO loves pass catching Fullbacks, both dropped because of poor 40 times at the combine, they both ran in the 4.8's. Some times the clock does not reflect the game speed.

You have to figure that if flowers and cannon make the roster then Powell could be gone.  I like what mccagnan does with the rbs, acquires several of them for cheap and rotates them, keeps them fresh, and doesn’t overpay.  And with forte gone they don’t have to keep feeding it to him.  

http://draftanalyst.com/nifae-lealao

Bio: 
Two-year starter who made 23 tackles (four for loss) with three pass breakups as a senior. Recorded 22 tackles (four for loss), 2.5 sacks and three PBUs in 2016. Started four games as a sophomore and posted 18 tackles.
Pos: 
Nice-sized defensive tackle prospect with growth potential. Takes up a lot of room in the middle of the line, attracts double-team blocks and plays with leverage. Fires off the snap with a quick first step, keeps his feet and hands active throughout the action and plays through the whistle.
Neg: 
Displays average strength. Easily controlled by opponents and often knocked back off the ball.
Analysis: 
Lealao has shown flashes of ability the past two seasons and offers next-level size but must improve his playing strength to have any opportunity to make a roster. Considering his upside potential, he should be kept on a practice squad for future development.

Good PS candidate..

NFL Draft 2018: Dreams changed but the determination is the same for Dakoda Shepley

Growing up, most Canadian athlete’s dream of being the next Wayne Gretzky or Sidney Crosby, and Dakoda Shepley was no different.

He played hockey for nine-and-a-half years before an injury ended that dream but started a new one.

“In grade 10 I broke my hand fighting so I went to go see a surgeon, who ended up giving me a 30-minute lecture on why I should be playing football instead,” Shepley explained to Sporting News. “At the time I was around 6-foot-2, 260 pounds, so I was a big kid, too big to be playing hockey that’s for sure.

“He was giving me this whole spiel about how I could get school paid for and play [football] professionally, so I just dropped hockey cold-turkey.”

From there it was love at first snap.

As a newbie to the sport, Shepley didn’t have much prior knowledge outside of the basics. Luckily for him, his big frame made him a perfect fit for the offensive line, a position he wound up flourishing in.

He grew up in Windsor, Ontario — just five minutes south of Detroit — where most high school football players dream to get recruited into the NCAA. And Shepley was no different.

After getting some interest from various Division 2, 3 and even a few D1 Double A schools, Shepley ultimately decided to head cross country to the University of British Columbia

“My primary focus was going to the NCAA,” Shepley said. “I visited a bunch of schools, did the whole process, but came to the conclusion that UBC was the fit for me.”

The move turned out to be a great one for the offensive line prospect, whose four years culminated in a Canada West all-star appearance at right tackle and a Vanier Cup win for UBC.

Shepley’s play has him ranked as one of the CFL’s top prospects but he has his sights set even higher — to potentially make an NFL roster.

His original plan to get noticed was to start training immediately on the west coast and hope to land in one of the NFL’s regional combines. When the league announced it wouldn’t be holding those this year, panic mode set in and the offensive lineman had to figure out the next course of action.

Growing up in Windsor would turn out be yet another blessing for Shepley though. There’s an NFL rule that states if a prospect went to high school within 50 miles of an NCAA school’s facility, he can attend that team’s pro day. The only caveat was he needed to be specifically requested by at least two NFL teams.

“My whole plan of action was to train as hard as I could,” Shepley said. “I knew I had some of the tools to test well already, I just needed to work on those in the months leading up to the Pro Day.

“I needed to get as fit as I could, as quick as I could and execute come Pro Day, and that’s what I did. I needed to get my name out there, and it ended up working out”

When team’s got whiff of the 6-foot-4, 305-pound lineman, it was mission accomplished. Shepley ended up working out for scouts at the Eastern Michigan University pro day and immediately boosted his stock with testing numbers that put him right up there with his NCAA counterparts.

He posted a 5.05 40-yard dash, 31 reps of 225 pounds on bench press, a 4.64 second shuttle time and 9-foot-3 broad jump. All of those numbers would have ranked inside the top 10 for all linemen at the NFL Combine.

“With the NFL, CFL, football in general that’s where I shine best — my explosiveness and my quickness getting out of the hole, out of my stance — and I think given a season under my belt with training, proper technique and coaching it can only get better from there.”

Since that pro day in March, it’s been a whirlwind of a process for the former Thunderbird, talking to NFL teams and simply trying to get his name out there as much as possible.

“There’s been good feedback from all of them and I’m getting good reviews on my film,” Shepley said. “They haven’t seen me over the last four years like most of the guys in the draft, so it’s been more of just getting to know me as a person, if I’m the kind of guy they want to be around really.”

Shepley’s film shows a quick, athletic lineman capable of taking over an entire side of the line — traits that were certain to catch the NFL’s eye.

To get to that level though, studying other successful lineman was key. Finding comparisons, setting benchmarks off of them and even learning techniques directly from them were some of the ways Shepley grew into the lineman he is now.

“First time I put a helmet and pads on was Grade 9 and I didn’t know anything about the game or the rules, so when I did start watching football it was 2009, the same year that T.J. Lang got drafted,” Shepley said. “I just remember looking up offensive lines and it was always Green Bay’s.

“I identified with T.J. Just from a body-type standpoint, we were kind of the same. And as it turns out this past combine training, with the gym I’ve been going through, I was training with T.J., who was a regular there. From two days a week of punching the bag, no pads, no cleats, you learn a lot based off technique. I’m a visual learner, so seeing him work was pretty huge for me.”

Another NFL lineman who was a huge inspiration for Shepley was countryman Laurent Duvernay-Tardiff.

Duvernay-Tardiff played college football at McGill college in Quebec and was a 2014 sixth-round pick of the Kansas City Chiefs. He has started as the team’s right guard in 31 games since then and inked a five-year, $42.5 million deal with the team in 2017.

“I remember when he was in the draft process for the NFL. Someone on my team pulled up his highlight tape on HUDL and I watched it religiously,” Shepley said. “Even to this day I’ll pull it up just to compare myself, see how I stacked up.

“When I made my highlight tape I looked at his highlight tape in order to made mine the same as his play-wise. I said, ‘If he can make it with that highlight tape I can make it with mine.’”

For Shepley and other Canadian prospects, seeing someone like Duvernay-Tardiff not only make it as a draft pick in the NFL, but also succeed, is a massive boost and something to model success and preparation after.

“He was a big inspiration for me, especially coming from Canada. I think he was 6-foot-4, 315 pounds for his pro day, so I said, ‘you know what, I’m 6-foot-4, I’m going to be 315 pounds. I can be this guy.’ I tried to model myself off him as much as I could. All the guys coming out of Canada have been a really good frame of reference for me to try to get to that level.”

But whether it’s as a late-round pick, an undrafted free agent deal or even being a top pick in the CFL, Shepley will take what he can get to play the game of football.

He may not be the next big hockey star like he thought as a kid, but it appears the next Laurent Duvernay-Tardiff or T.J. Lang might just be in the cards.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/nfl-draft-2018-british-columbia-dakoda-shepley-cfl/4cdy3pmbgrdf1j1ci7h0vgbp3

10 minutes ago, Lith said:

http://draftanalyst.com/nifae-lealao

Bio: 
Two-year starter who made 23 tackles (four for loss) with three pass breakups as a senior. Recorded 22 tackles (four for loss), 2.5 sacks and three PBUs in 2016. Started four games as a sophomore and posted 18 tackles.
Pos: 
Nice-sized defensive tackle prospect with growth potential. Takes up a lot of room in the middle of the line, attracts double-team blocks and plays with leverage. Fires off the snap with a quick first step, keeps his feet and hands active throughout the action and plays through the whistle.
Neg: 
Displays average strength. Easily controlled by opponents and often knocked back off the ball.
Analysis: 
Lealao has shown flashes of ability the past two seasons and offers next-level size but must improve his playing strength to have any opportunity to make a roster. Considering his upside potential, he should be kept on a practice squad for future development.

We are cornering the market in fat D-Linemen, Better gets some more staff in the mess hall..

7 hours ago, JetNation said:

Flowers.jpg

With the NFL draft all wrapped up, the Jets have reportedly begun adding undrafted free agents according to multiple reports.  Keep in mind, these deals and agreements sometimes fall through at the last minute, so until it comes from the team, it’s not official.  With that in mind, here are the players the Jets have reportedly agreed to terms with on deals or invited to rookie mini camp.

WR Deontay Burnett, USC: A slot receiver who gives Sam Darnold a familiar face to work with early on, Burnett is a long shot to stick on a roster that’s currently loaded at the WR position.

Click here to read the full story...

7 minutes ago, Lith said:

I thought he signed with the Titans, unless he flipped on them.

You're absolutely right @Lith

That damn poster above you! 

I’d strike to ban but didn’t read the fine print (in bold). 

17 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Good PS candidate..

NFL Draft 2018: Dreams changed but the determination is the same for Dakoda Shepley

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/nfl-draft-2018-british-columbia-dakoda-shepley-cfl/4cdy3pmbgrdf1j1ci7h0vgbp3

Good stuff, thanks for posting. Seems like a developmental tackle prospect with traits. Definitely wanted one brought in.

44 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

We are cornering the market in fat D-Linemen, Better gets some more staff in the mess hall..

Alabama fans relentlessly troll Vandy player who wanted Bama after 59-0 beatdown

Vanderbilt defensive lineman Nifae Lealao wanted Alabama, and he got it. Except he got a top-ranked Crimson Tide team that he needlessly fed some bulletin board material.

On Saturday, that led to a 59-0 shellacking, tied for the largest margin of victory for Alabama under Nick Saban.

Lealao was clearly excited after the Commodores’ 14-7 win last week against No. 18 Kansas State at home, and he thought Nashville could produce Vanderbilt’s first-ever win against a top-ranked opponent.

Lee Harvey‏ @MusikFan4Life

Nifae Lealao : 2 tackles & 1 QB hurry (He said "Alabama you're next" after they beat Kansas State last week)

Is it just me, or is this not quite the nail-biter Nifae Lealao promised us???#BAMAvsVandy #RollTidepic.twitter.com/IPavcb04Pg

https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/alabama-fans-relentlessly-troll-vandy-player-wanted-bama-59-0-beatdown

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

You have to figure that if flowers and cannon make the roster then Powell could be gone.  I like what mccagnan does with the rbs, acquires several of them for cheap and rotates them, keeps them fresh, and doesn’t overpay.  And with forte gone they don’t have to keep feeding it to him.  

A poster in another thread pointed out that if we replace Powell, McClendon and Skrine that is a cap savings of a whopping 17.5 million bucks.

Jets drafted players that ( in theory) can replace the reps/production of the above three.

That's a lot of dough.

14 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

Flowers is a fun pick up . 

Wait an athletic FB/H-back that can block, catch, and run? Blasphemy, such players don't exist. Seriously has anyone heard that Joe Willy is still alive? I also find it very interesting how much Mayfield was able to go to Flowers for big gains and tds. Seemed like the FB was a big part of the passing game and I don't think I've ever heard that before.

Dimitri Flowers - RB -  Jets

Jets signed Oklahoma RB Dimitri Flowers.

Flowers (6’2/248) was the Sooners’ fullback all four years, blocking for Joe MIxon and Samaje Perine among others, and earning first-team All-Big 12 as a senior. He showed outstanding versatility with a 54/886/13 career receiving line, averaging an absurd 16.4 yards per catch. Flowers tested out as a substandard athlete, however, running 4.83 with an ugly 7.45 three-cone time at the Combine. Flowers projects as an NFL special teamer with situational value as a lead blocker and checkdown-pass option.

Apr 29 - 10:21 AM

Richie Anderson is that you?
image.jpg

Here is the summary list from SBnation - https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/4/28/17293694/nfl-draft-udfa-signings-tracker-results-2018

NY Jets UDFA

Dimitri Flowers, RB, Oklahoma
Austin Golson, OL, Auburn
Darius James, OL, Auburn
Frankie Luvu, LB, Washington State
Dakoda Shepley, OL, University of British Columbia
Mych Thomas, DL, Texas Tech
Tre’ Williams, LB, Auburn

Jets FO does NOT place high priority on OLine under the new scheme.

The main resource for restocking our OLine talent is through UDFA & UFA; only validates that PHILOSOPHICALLY the Jets prefer Cheaper Agile Fatties to take up space in an offensive Zone Blocking scheme.

OLine is NOT a priority due to cost and probably because LESS college OLine can actually block adequately bought for the Pro game. 

Those of you blowing a gasket over NOT drafting OLine are being irate over nothing. The system does not necessitate high investment in OLine. Will it work, we shall see? It did in Denver in the late 90's.

20 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Here is the summary list from SBnation - https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/4/28/17293694/nfl-draft-udfa-signings-tracker-results-2018

NY Jets UDFA

Dimitri Flowers, RB, Oklahoma
Austin Golson, OL, Auburn
Darius James, OL, Auburn
Frankie Luvu, LB, Washington State
Dakoda Shepley, OL, University of British Columbia
Mych Thomas, DL, Texas Tech
Tre’ Williams, LB, Auburn

We added another canon!

Middle Tennessee State K Canon Rooker

4 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

The main resource for restocking our OLine talent is through UDFA & UFA; only validates that PHILOSOPHICALLY the Jets prefer cheaper Fat bodies to take up space in an offensive Zone Blocking scheme.

Zone blocking requires agile athletic guys that can move with good technique as opposed to fat guys taking up space. https://www.ganggreennation.com/2018/2/21/17034186/jets-new-offensive-system-breakdown-a-zone-blocking-scheme

1 minute ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Zone blocking requires agile athletic guys that can move with good technique as opposed to fat guys taking up space. https://www.ganggreennation.com/2018/2/21/17034186/jets-new-offensive-system-breakdown-a-zone-blocking-scheme

Well aware, thank you. I corrected my initial post. 

Coffee is kicking in and my mind is faster than my fingers. The Fat bodies are less effective in this new scheme - thus Carpenter now rendered irrelevant and perhaps trade-able. 

2 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Well aware, thank you. I corrected my initial post. 

Coffee is kicking in and my mind is faster than my fingers. The Fat bodies are less effective in this new scheme - thus Carpenter now rendered irrelevant and perhaps trade-able. 

Yup, I agree though that they didn't like the o-line available in the draft and for now have decided to address it through FA. Excited to see what vet o-line guys get cut soon.

Archived